NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2022, 12:50 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Buying whole collections... your experience & tips?

I wonder if some of our experienced "dealer/collectors" would be willing to share their own experiences, tips, do's and don'ts when purchasing larger, vintage card collections. Like so many here, I'm 2% seller to help fund the other 98% of my collector side. I decided to invest a bit into getting the word out that I'm willing to purchase larger, vintage baseball card collections in my local area. I don't expect it's going to be frequent but I did get my first inquiry this morning and am looking forward meeting with the gentleman this weekend. From my brief phone call, it sounds like it may be late 50's or early 60's and he said this is his childhood collection and they are in binders. He mentioned a dozen or so Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle and Hank Aaron among others -

I can't lie - I'm excited to see what this might be, for my first whole collection purchase! I asked if he could have a family member take a send a few images so I can have a better sense of the card and their condition before taking a 2+ hour drive!

Any specific tips from others in terms of:

1. How to value (ie, 60% of retail for higher value cards, 30-40% for sellable vintage commons
2. Plan to purchase with cash to make his decision easier, no worries about checks, more advanced payment models like PayPal
3. Other tips or experiences to share??

I look forward to hearing others advice and I'll be sure to loop back to share additional background as this unfolds! (if anyone would like to hear how it goes...)

thanks for sharing!

Jeff
Old 12-05-2022, 03:21 PM
David M.

I thought it might be helpful to watch this channel on YouTube (BASEBALL CARD COLLECTOR INVESTOR DEALER) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7zjJbYK_u0

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 12-05-2022 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:52 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I thought it might be helpful to watch this channel on YouTube (BASEBALL CARD COLLECTOR INVESTOR DEALER) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7zjJbYK_u0
Thx David! I have seen many of his videos but will watch this one again tonight! 👍
Old 12-05-2022, 03:54 PM
J@mes In.gram

Yes, we would definitely like to hear what happens.

That is my dream; an entire collection all at once.

I remember how excited I was, to the point of shaking, when I received an entire grocery sack of great cards, and two of my nephew's partial collections (some great cards there, too, as my wife's sisters spared no expense).

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-05-2022, 04:09 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Always pay in cash if possible or at least get a cashier's check.

I would look at the overall condition of the key cards particularly and less so at the commons except for high numbers.

Complete sets are much easier to assess from a pricing standpoint.

Many collections like this that are a childhood collection are difficult to purchase at a reasonable price because they look at a Beckett and assume that is what their cards are worth no matter the condition and they want a fairly high % of that number.

I always try to get the seller to establish an initial price and bargain from that point if it makes sense. If you think you can pay $5K and they want $10K, a deal is not likely to take place.

Believe it or not, an acquaintance of mine had his 1951 - 53 Bowman/Topps boy hood collection 4 years ago he decided to sell.

I evaluated it carefully as he left it at my house to look over. It had (2) '51 Mantles in VG condition and (1) '51 Mays in P condition. The total collection was 700 or so cards with many stars. Most of the cards were G/VG with some higher. I offered $10K(The Mantles were only worth $4K each at that time. He told me that was too much but he would take $7500 if that was OK with me and that if I did not make money he would give money back. I assured him I could do OK at $10K but he insisted so I obliged.

The Mantles graded PSA 3 and 3.5 and I got $10K for the two of them which at the time was above market.

I flipped the rest of the deal for another $10K to a dealer so not a bad deal with very little work.

This was obviously the first and likely last time a deal like that takes place.

The seller normally wants twice what I can pay and wholesale deals are hard to close.

Good luck!!
Old 12-05-2022, 05:14 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

I always bring graded cards with me to share. Most people just go to EBay and try and guess grades..of course always 3 grades higher than they actually are. That is always the first set back.

If they are reasonable and willing to go through graded cards with you; they will understand.

The second shock is when they find out the value difference of a 50s Mantle from a 5 to a 2.

Again, many are reasonable when they can compare side by side. In my experience; just be straight with them and they will many times sell. The majority of people you are working with in those years are retired, don't need the money, and don't have to sell. Remember, they've had these cards longer than their families and they remember every card they bought in a pack. If you treat them and their cards respectfully and remember their emotions are involved, pricing kind of falls in place. They are more concerned who they go to..
311-407 PSA 6
Old 12-05-2022, 05:46 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
I can't lie - I'm excited to see what this might be, for my first whole collection purchase!

Jeff
This sounds pretty darn cool and exciting!
Good luck with the process and hope it all goes well!
Old 12-05-2022, 06:01 PM
Bill Roberts

If you plan on reselling anything you're buying and want to make a profit, you can't tell yourself enough that any money you will make will come on the buying end and not the selling end. This simple thought has probably saved me thousands of dollars over the years.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'll be delving into this in depth in coming posts on my substack blog

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-05-2022, 07:10 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
I always bring graded cards with me to share. Most people just go to EBay and try and guess grades..of course always 3 grades higher than they actually are. That is always the first set back.

If they are reasonable and willing to go through graded cards with you; they will understand.

The second shock is when they find out the value difference of a 50s Mantle from a 5 to a 2.

Again, many are reasonable when they can compare side by side. In my experience; just be straight with them and they will many times sell. The majority of people you are working with in those years are retired, don't need the money, and don't have to sell. Remember, they've had these cards longer than their families and they remember every card they bought in a pack. If you treat them and their cards respectfully and remember their emotions are involved, pricing kind of falls in place. They are more concerned who they go to..
Well said and I totally agree. Bring graded cards and explain the options, (1) auction (2) dealers at a show and their % (3) eBay (4) collector (you). Condition, condition, condition. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2022, 07:11 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Wonderful advice from all... many thanks for sharing your own experience! I'll return the favor and will share my experiences as this develops. (consider yourselves "deputized" to help me with this!)
Old 12-06-2022, 04:00 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Oops, may not be quite the find I hoped it might be… sounds like he might have a small collection of the 59 Fleer Ted Williams set.

He said he also has a very nice Mantle - “bat on his shoulder and Yankees is in yellow” 99% chance it’s 1960 (1% dream it’s a 52 Topps!)

He’s a very Nice gentleman - but probably very modest “collection!”
Old 12-06-2022, 04:13 PM

Default but hope springs eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Oops, may not be quite the find I hoped it might be… sounds like he might have a small collection of the 59 Fleer Ted Williams set.

He said he also has a very nice Mantle - “bat on his shoulder and Yankees is in yellow” 99% chance it’s 1960 (1% dream it’s a 52 Topps!)

He’s a very Nice gentleman - but probably very modest “collection!”
.. Has he mentioned his age ? If he's in his late seventies that implies a "boyhood collection" of early and mid fifties . Take the drive. Gas is cheap. Then post the Aaron rookie here.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
.. Has he mentioned his age ? If he's in his late seventies that implies a "boyhood collection" of early and mid fifties . Take the drive. Gas is cheap. Then post the Aaron rookie here.

+1. Ya' never know unless you go!

Last edited by Leon; 12-08-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:48 PM
Robert J. Miller

Agreed. Make the trip. You never know.
I dabble in stamp collecting at times. I was debating whether or not to drive an hour and a half for a $200.00 collection. When I got there she said $200.00 and I saw a cigar box and 6 large bins. I said sure I will have fun going through it. Low and behold when I got home there was $4,226.00 in mint unused US stamps ready for postage. Plus a lot of collectible stamps from around the world. So you never know.
Good Luck
Bob
Old 12-08-2022, 07:13 PM
Fred

Robert,

That's kind of like the "Forever" collection with all the unused postage stamps. I suppose you could start using those on shipping packages!
Old 12-08-2022, 08:38 PM
Robert J. Miller

Already have! I will not need to buy another stamp in my life! Some of the Postal workers don't even add the stamp total, they just take my word for it.