NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2022, 11:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

I wonder how much of CSG's business is accounted for by the PWCC partnership?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:20 AM
Drew W@i$e

That is a huge decline for SGC. Due to the PSA price reduction?
Old 08-02-2022, 11:51 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I can't help but wonder if an SGC price drop is coming.. (on their grading services, I mean)
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 08-02-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:04 PM
Paul

I would personally like to see SGC's re-holder fee reduced. It would seem to be much less work to re-holder a card, than to grade one. Yet there is a $30 fee for both services at the base level. I thought the $10 re-holder fee they charged in the past was fair.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:09 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I can't help but wonder if an SGC price drop is coming.. (on their grading services, I mean)
It has to be coming. Their turnaround times in the past few months have been extremely fast. I've been sitting on a pile of cards for well over a year now, just waiting for the inevitable drop in demand for grading. My guess is that the next price drop will be in the $15-20 range, in which case I'll still be waiting.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 08-02-2022, 12:32 PM
Bob C.

What would really be telling and extremely more informational is if we could get a breakdown on those graded card numbers by the various TPGs. For example, modern sports cards, vintage/pre-war sports cards, TGC cards, etc. I think if they broke those numbers out it could possibly tell a different story.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
What would really be telling and extremely more informational is if we could get a breakdown on those graded card numbers by the various TPGs. For example, modern sports cards, vintage/pre-war sports cards, TGC cards, etc. I think if they broke those numbers out it could possibly tell a different story.
PSA is probably 90 percent modern or more.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:44 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
PSA is probably 90 percent modern or more.
That's why I mentioned it. It could end up showing one TPG is not going up, or down, across the board, and only in certain categories of cards. Having that info would be more telling and informative than just a gross total number of graded cards.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
That's why I mentioned it. It could end up showing one TPG is not going up, or down, across the board, and only in certain categories of cards. Having that info would be more telling and informative than just a gross total number of graded cards.
The fallacy of composition?

Old 08-02-2022, 06:33 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The fallacy of composition?
In any case I cannot imagine they can be leading in any category with numbers like that. I honestly really enjoy the SGC product but those numbers are catastrophic.

With their history of work they should be in 2nd, during the PSA hold they had every opportunity on earth to advance their footprint in modern and have apparently failed miserably. People were submitting and the listings had grown for modern sgc on eBay. Leadership should be analyzing where these marketing failures fall and make changes.

I am hoping this is a blip as the sample size is so small and is related to the PSA pricing changes and they remedy immediately. A trend like that, if it continues, is a very poor sign of health.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:58 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Surely, PSA's advantage is a combination of factors. First-mover advantage certainly helps, plus the registry, and having slabs that don't look like they were bought from the dollar store all play a role. The registry is huge though. It creates dual demand which creates pricing separation from SGC on widely collected sets like 33 Goudey, 52-56 Topps, 48 Leaf, Cracker Jacks, T206s, etc. All the key cards in these sets sell for significant premiums over SGC solely because of the added set collector pressure on the market. This has a trickle-down effect on other sectors of the market as newcomers.

I'm really interested in how CSG does in the future though. IMO, they are doing just about everything right. Their slabs are so much better than everyone else's, their new flips are nice, and their grading scale is accurate and consistent in my experience.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:04 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
In any case I cannot imagine they can be leading in any category with numbers like that. I honestly really enjoy the SGC product but those numbers are catastrophic.

With their history of work they should be in 2nd, during the PSA hold they had every opportunity on earth to advance their footprint in modern and have apparently failed miserably. People were submitting and the listings had grown for modern sgc on eBay. Leadership should be analyzing where these marketing failures fall and make changes.

I am hoping this is a blip as the sample size is so small and is related to the PSA pricing changes and they remedy immediately. A trend like that, if it continues, is a very poor sign of health.
SGC is in a tough spot though. Their problem is almost entirely the slab itself. They would need a complete redesign in order to gain market share in modern cards and with younger collectors. There's a reason the kids all refer them as "dollar store slabs". They can't really just up and change it now. Or rather they can't change it for vintage. I suppose they could try to come up with a new design and only use those new slabs on cards from 1980+ or something like that, while still keeping the tux for vintage stuff. Maybe that's their best chance? But I don't know if that would work either.

Personally, I like the tux look. But I definitely understand why others don't. But I do dislike how unnecessarily bulky they feel, and I don't like the fact that they create awkward storage problems.

Last edited by Snowman; 08-14-2022 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:02 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post

Personally, I like the tux look. But I definitely understand why others don't. But I do dislike how unnecessarily bulky they feel, and I don't like the fact that they create awkward storage problems.
I have done all my grading with SGC, and even steered toward buying SGC when possible. However, the size of the slabs is definitely an issue. With almost 200 graded cards, I am now probably going to pivot to PSA.
This was a very bad decision not to go with thinner, sleeker slabs when they did the re-design.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 08-26-2022, 03:23 PM

Default SGC grading is super fast

To anyone who cares (I know the target audience is small)-

On August 1, I submitted a small tobacco group to SGC as a test to see if
there are being as hard on those as vintage, and for turnaround time. The
cards arrive tomorrow. The details:

1) T206 Doc Adkins- I guessed a 2, it's coming back a 2. Dead on.

2) E101 Bill Bergen- I guessed 1.5, it's coming back 1.5. Dead on.

3) T206 Harry McIntyre- I guessed 5, it's coming back "A" so there's
something they found that I didn't. Bummer but I'm certainly not
infallible.

4) Total turnaround time 26 days, mailbox to mailbox.

It looks like they don't crucify tobacco like vintage, so much of my
buys will be slabbed in the future (as it's been for awhile). For what
it is worth

Trent King
Old 08-26-2022, 03:30 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
To anyone who cares (I know the target audience is small)-

On August 1, I submitted a small tobacco group to SGC as a test to see if
there are being as hard on those as vintage, and for turnaround time. The
cards arrive tomorrow. The details:

1) T206 Doc Adkins- I guessed a 2, it's coming back a 2. Dead on.

2) E101 Bill Bergen- I guessed 1.5, it's coming back 1.5. Dead on.

3) T206 Harry McIntyre- I guessed 5, it's coming back "A" so there's
something they found that I didn't. Bummer but I'm certainly not
infallible.

4) Total turnaround time 26 days, mailbox to mailbox.

It looks like they don't crucify tobacco like vintage, so much of my
buys will be slabbed in the future (as it's been for awhile). For what
it is worth

Trent King
Thanks for the follow up, Trent. My experience has been on the lower grade cards that actually show obvious wear, flaws, etc that they are spot on. It is on vintage cards that appear NM or better I see them landing in 5s and 6s. If it were a small number I would chalk it up to a small wrinkle, etc but the volume of cards I have been able to pick up and examine inside and outside the holder, simply makes no sense the cards are ending up beaten down like this. In many cases they are 1 or 2 grades higher than cards with fully rounded corners, wrinkles, stains or other obvious flaws.

Hey PSA is doing the same thing right now.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:59 PM

Default SGC grading is super fast

Lorewalker- you are welcome. My faith in SGC with prewar remains strong.
You are spot on re: vintage. It's bizarre and, frankly, ridiculous for the 2
main TPGs to continue this "flaw fest", specifically directed at one era. I'm
holding magnificent, raw 1976 Topps HOFers that I wouldn't dream
of submitting to anyone right now. The idea of some nerd finding a 1/16
inch bump on the reverse and dinging the grade 2 full points, doesn't sit
well with me. Both companies need to unscrew themselves in that arena-
before I submit again, at least.

Trent King
Old 08-26-2022, 04:21 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
Lorewalker- you are welcome. My faith in SGC with prewar remains strong.
You are spot on re: vintage. It's bizarre and, frankly, ridiculous for the 2
main TPGs to continue this "flaw fest", specifically directed at one era. I'm
holding magnificent, raw 1976 Topps HOFers that I wouldn't dream
of submitting to anyone right now. The idea of some nerd finding a 1/16
inch bump on the reverse and dinging the grade 2 full points, doesn't sit
well with me. Both companies need to unscrew themselves in that arena-
before I submit again, at least.

Trent King
Could not agree with you more, Trent. Spot on. Dunno what is going on with them but I have more than 1,000 vintage mid to high grade stars and high grade commons 1930s to 1960s to submit but they will sit in my safe until they relent. Not interested in seeing NM cards in EX holders.

Chase