NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2009, 11:03 AM

Default New Beckett BGS & BVG Photograph Authentication Service

Hey All,

Just wanted to announce a new service that may be of interest to some of you. Beckett Grading (BGS & BVG) is now open for Original Photograph Authentication and (optional) Grading. For now, pricing is the same as for sports cards (remember that items larger than 3.5" x 5.25" are subject to an $8 surcharge to cover higher slab and shipping costs).

Details can be found at the following page:

www.beckett.com/photos

We'd like to especially thank Net54 Member David Rudd Cycleback for his expertise in this venture!

Mark Anderson
Beckett Grading Services

Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Phil Garry

Congratulations on the new endeavor, Mark!

I have a photo order that should be mailed out to you sometime next week. Also, I send you an e-mail with a photo question if you get a chance to review it for me.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Great news and to hear that David's involved.
Mark, Is there an option for an LOA instead of the holder? A couple of us prefer a conventional matte/frame for display. Steve F

Or, I could not be a schmuck and just click the darn link.

Last edited by Ladder7; 06-23-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 PM

Sorry Steve, nope.

The slab is our method of not only protecting, preserving, and displaying the item, but also the security against fraudulent authentication issues. Outside of the sealed holder, we would have to mark the item with something (sticker, invisible ink, etc.), and I'm just not fond of any of those options. See Leon's post a few days ago on Authentication and stickers on items

I agree it would be a cool option to the service, but I haven't thought of any way to realistically do it at this point.

Thanks!
Mark
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM

If anyone has a question about a photo-- whether it looks okay or vintage, the stamping looks acceptable, dating, etc-- you can contact me before sending anything in (my website is cycleback.com).

I'm working as an outside adviser to Beckett (they already sent me a scan of a photo for my opinion on the dating stamps), and I'm sure they' are more than happy for to give advise collectors. I don't personally handle the photos and know the specifics about the 1-10 grading system (obviously, I know 10 is better than 1). I visited Beckett in Dallas a couple of months ago, carrying a brief case full of photo 'exemplars', and met with all the folks.

Lastly, I'm not dealing in photos or other memorabilia (or used cars, etc), so me saying a photo looks good or bad, doesn't benefit me financially. I'm an honest, ethical person so it wouldn't matter anyway. I'm hired specifically to give good, honest advice.

My only cheap advertisement is for my book Guide to Sports Photographs. It covers sports photos of all types from all eras, 1800s to today, tintypes, Polaroids, cabinet cards, wire photos, real photo postcards etc. It shows how to date, authenticate, identify, name and even has a chapter on how to date early baseball photos by the player's uniforms and equipment. The books covers all the types of photos submitted to and holdered by Beckett.

The book can be purchased via amazon, with the link below

Amazon

The Sports Guide is the sports version of 'Judging the Authenticity of Photographs' so there's only need to get the Guide to Sports Photographs. The other book would be redundant.

Last edited by drc; 06-23-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

David, PM sent. Thankyou in advance, Steve
Old 06-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Nice Idea

SGC played around with it for a while via its comic book co but only did one group of photos, part of the Culver archive for one dealer. I bought a few and wanted to have some of my photos slabbed similarly but they were not doing it commercially.

I may send in my modest group of boxing items.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-24-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
SGC played around with it for a while via its comic book co but only did one group of photos, part of the Culver archive for one dealer. I bought a few and wanted to have some of my photos slabbed similarly but they were not doing it commercially.

I may send in my modest group of boxing items.
Yes, previously there were only two options:

* The CGC press photos, but the drawbacks were that it was not a public service, there were stickers added to the photos, and the "slabs" were thinner than a card saver. They were almost laminated. For the record, I believe CGC and SGC (and NGC for coins) have no ownership connection, just a mutual involvement in the Certified Collectible Group. So I don't think SGC was involved in that Culver Archive "slabbing"/

* PSA/DNA - I have never found info on their site (but may be wrong) that this is a public service they offer either. They definitely do/did not slab them, but rather put a sticker on the photo, and issued a letter of authenticity to match.

Looking forward to seeing your boxing photos!
Mark
Old 06-24-2009, 02:01 PM

From what I saw and guess, the CGC were done for a big dealer. The problem was the photos were basically all labeled as vintage originals. Many were nice originals, but some where later generation and printed later press photos. So there were some big labeling/misdating errors in the lot. As Mark mentions, these photos have big sticker on back and are 'holdered' in a soft plastic sleeve.

As Mark also mentions, I'm not sure if the PSA/DNA was a for public deal. Though, I've looked at the PSA/DNA photos and they appear to be accurately labeled and dated-- so I haven't seen errors in the methods.

The Type 1, Type 2 of the Mastro book and PSA/DNA is their cataloging invention. I've never labeled photos that way. I say stuff like original, vintage, printed later-- which are the traditional and standard terms. The funny thing is before I went to Dallas to meet with Beckett I had to read what the Type 1, Type 2 meant. If a collector says Type 3 to me in an email, I may have to go and look up Type 3 means.

Last edited by drc; 06-24-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default I bought a few of the Culver Photos in the CGC sleeves

Not bad at all. They were about 11 x 14 overall size and about 100 mil thick overall. which was thick enough to protect the photo pretty well. Frankly, I liked the fact that they weren't a 1/4" slab of heavy plastic.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...