NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Patrick N.

Default What age were u happiest?

Mine is 24. I want to say why but I'm afraid it might lead to me being banned so I will keep quiet now until I get Leon's permission to extrapolate. In all seriousness, it is something I have been thinking about lately...

Last edited by mintacular; 07-14-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Fine by me
Old 07-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Wow, good question. I'd say 11. I was a kid in NYC, had lifelong friends, lots of family around (including my grandmother with whom I was very close; she died the next year), the Yankees were on the way to their first pennant in my lifetime, I got to go to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium for the first time (it had been closed for 2 years for renovations), a World Series game, my first card show (Thanksgiving weekend ASCCA show). It was the Bicentennial and there were celebrations and events all summer. My family spent most of the summer in a village called Mahopac in the Township of Carmel, Putnam County, NY. I remember it as a very happy time in my life.

A view of Lake Carmel:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-15-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:40 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I'm gonna say 17 in '97. It was just the perfect combination of childhood and adulthood. I could finally drive(got my license a little late), and although it was just a beat up '85 Chevy Blazer, I still miss that thing. I was finally getting laid. What's not to like about that? It was the last year that I played ball. I obviously miss playing ball more than that old Blazer.. Also, my first year wrestling varsity and qualifying for the State Tournament. I was getting good grades. And I remember ever so slightly getting back into collecting, when I finally decided to same some money and buy that '82 Topps Ripken that I always wanted(granted, I partially used a '74 Winfield in trade). But that Ripken is still one of my favorite cards to this day.. Plus the Indians were in the World Series that year. Still wish they would've won though.

Also, my father had his 2nd stroke when I was 16, and has gotten himself healthy and taken really good physical care of himself since then. So, In a way, I guess age 17 for me was a good one, because it was perhaps the first of many full good healthy years for him.

Last edited by novakjr; 07-15-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:52 AM

I'd have to go with 10. Life was great back then. I was in my second year of little league and still in 'minors.' I don't know about you, but when you're so much better than everyone else you can't stop having fun. All I'd do is baseball, baseball, wiffleball, pingpong baseball, (you can throw some nasty knuckle curves with a pingpong ball) 6 foot hoop basketball, baseball, baseball.....toss in 180 days of school and that's it. Can't imagine anything much better than that.

At that age, the world is still fun and games. Yet you can pretty much do anything if you care to. Sure you're 10, but who cares? You're old enough for your opinion to be respected while you're still a kid. That combination cannot be beat in my mind.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Barry Sloate

Excellent question, but a difficult one to answer. Life is not a straight line, so I can't say one year was better than another. I've had happiness and sadness, as well as success and disappointment, in every year of my life. That's just the way it goes. Sure, it was great being a teenager in the late 1960's and witnessing all the cultural changes and social upheaval (not to mention the great music), but it wasn't all roses then either. Maybe my thirties and forties were my best years but who knows. As long as I have my health, my wife and some family, and a few good friends, life is as good as it will get.

Last edited by barrysloate; 07-15-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Jeff

I'm gonna have to say now. Healthy, two great kids, a 25 year marriage and debt free. Hard to compare a kid's happiness to a happy adulthood for me. I have one deceased parent so that is a mitigating factor but for me, right now.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 07-15-2011, 02:58 PM

I'll let you know if it happens in the next few years Pat!!! LOL!
Old 07-16-2011, 02:45 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Age 60

Aloha! I would have to say right now. Retired, Hawaii, More $ than I ever had, daughter is a rocket scientist (really), 5 cats 2 dogs, a vault full of cards and comics, grow my own food, and don't have to answer to anyone.
Other than that I would have to say the summer of56, 57, 58, 59, and 60...............magic times first cards I remember buying Topps world on wheels and rails and sails.....first sportcard 57 topps.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 PM
$teve O.

I'd say 21.I could legally drink,made decent money for a 21 year old,had a '66 GTO and a '70 Chevelle SS,had no trouble picking up girls,and gas was less than a dollar a gallon.No real worries.Life was good.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I have a friend of mine who says that on a three year rolling average his life has gotten better every year. At 50, I would concur. But my health is good, my family is wonderful, business is healthy...
Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Lance

17, summer 1987. Don Mattingly had the homer streak, Robin Yount was having a comeback year, Dale Murphy had his last great season. Dale Earnhardt was dominant, met a great girl and made some new friends that summer. 1987 was good times.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Ken McMillan

age 9 in 1969. saw my first cub game on my 9th birthday. hooked on the cubbies ever since.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Doug C.

I'd have to say when I was 5 back in the mid '80s. I hadn't started school yet so my only cares in the world involved sugary cereals, Transformers, Saturday morning cartoons and playing Super Mario Brothers on my (then) brand new Nintendo NES. Those were the days for sure!