NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 12-05-2020, 09:41 PM

Default Type 1 Hockey Photos

Anyone have any? Just tough to find Hockey unlike the other sports. Could not pass this one up when it became available.

Last edited by Tomi; 12-05-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:04 AM
Jeff

I have a few beauties...

• 1930-32 Type I Signed Photograph (8" x 10") (Underwood & Underwood Stamp) of Clarence "Pudge" McKenzie of the Chicago Shamrocks

• 1955 Type I Photograph (8" x 10") of Bobby Hull of the St. Catharines Teepees

• 1970-71 Photograph (3.5" x 4.75") of Marcel Dionne of the St. Catharines Black Hawks

• 1971-72 Team Issued Photo Print of Bobby Orr

• 1974-75 Baltimore Sun Archive Photo of Bobby Orr

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 12-06-2020, 07:23 AM
D@le Irv*n

I currently don't own any but I sure appreciate looking at some.

Great photos, guys!
Old 12-06-2020, 08:35 AM
Dave

I love the pre-rookie stuff. That Dionne and Hull are fantastic. I've got a Bossy floating around here somewhere.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:02 AM
Jeff

Thanks Dave & Dale,
Did some research on the Nerses stamp on the back of the Dionne photo. Nerses Photo Studio is in St Catharines, Ontario and is still in operation to this day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2020-12-06 at 10.59.jpg (64.1 KB, 55 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:14 AM

Great stuff. Do you guys think slabbing these photos adds any value like cards since they are all slabbed authentic? I kinda liked the way they look in holders not to mention the protection they offer.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:19 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Thanks Dave & Dale,
Did some research on the Nerses stamp on the back of the Dionne photo. Nerses Photo Studio is in St Catharines, Ontario and is still in operation to this day!

That's quaint as hell.

Looking at the building, you're apt to say to yourself "of course, that business has been around since at least 1970.............of course."

Old 12-06-2020, 09:33 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
Great stuff. Do you guys think slabbing these photos adds any value like cards since they are all slabbed authentic? I kinda liked the way they look in holders not to mention the protection they offer.

All comes down to preference. It's a minimum 80 bucks + shipping both ways to get a photo slabbed.

I've only sent in one photo ever to get slabbed by PSA. It was a Jordan pre-rookie, and it cost me over $175 bucks after PSA tacked on their upcharge.

On the bright side, I got it back in less then 2 weeks during the pandemic bump, while people on the card side have been waiting for months for their orders.

I think on higher end stuff it might add some resale value, but on most stuff, I don't think photo guys care as much as the card guys do, especially since condition issues that card guys are worried about, are much more subjective and forgiven, and almost expected out of necessity by photo collectors.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:27 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
Do you guys think slabbing these photos adds any value like cards since they are all slabbed authentic? I kinda liked the way they look in holders not to mention the protection they offer.
It depends on the photo. If you have a photo that was used to make a popular card or a rookie photo, then yes, it's worth slabbing it.

Anyways, here is a recent pick-up:

Bobby Orr is getting ready to circle the net. Boston's goalie, who I think is Gilles Gilbert, appears to be waving his stick in front of the opposing player in order to stop him from chasing Orr. The game was pretty dirty back then!

Back:

Old 12-06-2020, 03:49 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
It depends on the photo. If you have a photo that was used to make a popular card or a rookie photo, then yes, it's worth slabbing it.

Anyways, here is a recent pick-up:

Bobby Orr is getting ready to circle the net. Boston's goalie, who I think is Gilles Gilbert, appears to be waving his stick in front of the opposing player in order to stop him from chasing Orr. The game was pretty dirty back then!
I wanted to say Gerry Cheevers as those look like stitch marks on the mask but according to the numbers I just looked up, Gerry Cheevers only wore #1 in 1967, and this pic of Orr looks much later than that.

Gilles Gilbert wore #1 from 1974 to 1980.
Great photo!
https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/numbers.html

Last edited by irv; 12-06-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:42 PM

Can someone explain to me what a Type 1 photo is.When I see them here it looks to me it is just an original photo of most any kind.But I am likely missing something. PLMK
Old 12-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Amund

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I wanted to say Gerry Cheevers as those look like stitch marks on the mask but according to the numbers I just looked up, Gerry Cheevers only wore #1 in 1967, and this pic of Orr looks much later than that.

Gilles Gilbert wore #1 from 1974 to 1980.
Great photo!
https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/numbers.html

I think that is Eddie Johnston
Old 12-06-2020, 07:03 PM
David Linardy

Default Saint Patrick

Pair of Roy photos from his rookie season. Vintage signatures to boot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ED0D49E5-88F1-4AA5-A590-E6D8C84D4037.jpg (13.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-06-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Can someone explain to me what a Type 1 photo is.When I see them here it looks to me it is just an original photo of most any kind.But I am likely missing something. PLMK
It's an original photo taken from the original negative, not a reprint or a photo printed later.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:22 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
From PSA's site...

Quote:
PSA Photograph Type Classification
Type I – A 1st generation photograph, developed from the original negative, during the period (within approximately two years of when the picture was taken).
Type II – A photograph, developed from the original negative, during the period (more than approximately two years after the picture was taken).
Type III – A 2nd generation photograph, developed from a duplicate negative or wire transmission, during the period (within approximately two years of when the picture was taken).
Type IV – A 2nd generation photograph (or 3rd or later generation), developed from a duplicate negative or wire transmission, during a later period (more than approximately two years after the picture was taken).
Old 12-07-2020, 08:18 AM
H Murphy

Cool thread guys, keep them coming. I also think that`s Eddie Johnston pictured with Orr. Anyway, being a big Bruins fan always considered this 1968 period auto`ed Snapper of Orr one of my favorite collection items. Not in action but I like it.
THE Great One, Bobby Orr, 1968 period autoed/snapper by Hugh Murphy, on Flickr