NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Daniel R.

Default Shoutout to Tommy Lasorda

As hard as this is for me being a Giants fan, I just wanted to take a minute to recognize how much of a class act Tommy Lasorda is. I was at the dodger game yesterday, and happened to see Tommy in the dugout club before the game started (he was there to recognize a military foundation that I cant remember at the moment). He was patiently greeting the several fans that came up to him and asked him for autographs and pictures, and continued to be friendly and gracious with people that came up to his seat throughout the game. Its nice to see guys that made the game what it is today giving back to the fans and people that appreciate them so much. Thanks Tommy!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Amazing, because he was a complete a$$hole at the winter meetings last year, and all I said was hi, shook his hand, and thanked him for all he had done in the game. Did not even bother with a 'graph request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Daniel R.

wow thats interesting. Maybe he was putting on his sunday best for dodger stadium? haha
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM

Guy is a menace at spring training too. He likes to set up a table and have people wait in line for autographs. Which is nice and all. But the whole time he complains about signing and does this really annoying thing where he makes you hand him your ball so he can then sign it and roll it across the table back to you.

He is really nice to children though.

Last edited by packs; 08-25-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazz5 View Post
wow thats interesting. Maybe he was putting on his sunday best for dodger stadium? haha

He was definitely on his best behavior for the military appreciation because he does a 180 to the general public.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Scott S

I had a very pleasant experience with him a few years ago and posted about it at the time....

LaSorda story
Old 08-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Bobby Binder

Tommy used to get clothes for his wife Jo from my dad when I was a kid. Went to a few Dodger games and he always gave us the first class treatment. Once when he was still a 3rd base coach after the game we met him outside the locker room. He brought out Steve Garvey and the Penguin to meet me and they both gave me autographed bats and balls. I remembers Garvey's forearms being huge. Another time went when it was family day and all the players had their kids play a game before the main attraction. I was allowed to sit in the dugout for the short 2 inning affair hanging out with the players. Went to the WS versus the Yanks and sat with his wife and son.

Last edited by BobbyVCP; 08-25-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:48 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
Tommy used to get clothes for his wife Jo from my dad when I was a kid. Went to a few Dodger games and he always gave us the first class treatment. Once when he was still a 3rd base coach after the game we met him outside the locker room. He brought out Steve Garvey and the Penguin to meet me and they both gave me autographed bats and balls. I remembers Garvey's four arms being huge. Another time went when it was family day and all the players had their kids play a game before the main attraction. I was allowed to sit in the dugout for the short 2 inning affair hanging out with the players. Went to the WS versus the Yanks and sat with his wife and son.
No wonder Garvey was such a good batter. Anyone with four arms had an advantage.... Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Now that is comedy!!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 08-25-2014, 04:46 PM
John Mavroudis

...as a fellow Giants' fan, you do realize that you'll burn in hell for this post, right?

www.zenpop.com
Old 08-25-2014, 04:50 PM
John Mavroudis

...although he was good for the rivalry.

THIS is how I remember Tommy... (great shot from a friend of mine, from a game at Candlestick Park)

www.zenpop.com
Old 08-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I met Tommy at a Branch Rickey awards dinner in Portsmouth Ohio when I was in high school. I liked him because he was driven and intense. The a**hole is more that he doesn't really give a sh*t about opinions, IMO(insert jokes here). Plus, he's been old for a long time and seemingly grumpy but, I think he's just geniune to who he is. Kind of like Pete Rose and he was a real a**hole. I despised living in Ohio for the years I did and I took it out on Pete by rooting against him.

Who did more for the game? Tommy or Pete?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:03 PM

I met Tommy at a Fred Hutchinson Award function a few years ago, a fund raiser for cancer research. First of all, I think it speaks volumes about a man that he would go out of his way to Seattle to support this cause. At the function, he signed a card and a ball for me, and posed pleasantly for a photo with me and my wife. It was a great experience.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Say what you want about Lasorda but as a lifetime Dodgers fan I don't ever remember cringing at his managerial decisions the way I often do with Don Mattingly.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingstone206 View Post
Hey Neidermeyer I mean Niederman maybe you just irritated him. I don't think that deserves someone going out of his way for charity to be called names.

How would that be irritating? Must suck to have someone say hi to you and thank you for all you've done.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenPop View Post
...although he was good for the rivalry.

THIS is how I remember Tommy... (great shot from a friend of mine, from a game at Candlestick Park)

Aaah, that was the battery chuck game if I remember correctly...which I probably don't lol
...whatever I want
Old 08-26-2014, 04:14 AM
Derek Granger

This is what I think of when Tommy's name is mentioned...

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
This is what I think of when Tommy's name is mentioned...

+1

Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 AM
And.rew Whi.te

When I worked for the Cubs we always looked forward to the Dodgers coming to town. My first few years I worked for the security detail that stayed with the players and Tommy would always order Chicago style pizza from his favorite local Italian pizzeria for the team (usually about 25 pizzas) and would give the leftovers...and there were many leftovers to the security detail. We would then carry them down to our office and feed the whole crew on what the Dodgers had left for us.

I also had the chance to hang out after a game with Tommy in the dugout as he was photographed for a new book he had coming out (I believe it was The Artful Dodger). It was me, Tommy and the photographer and I can tell you it was great hearing his stories for the few hours we were down there but that guy had a mouth that would make a trucker AND a sailor blush.

Tommy was always good to me but then again it could be because I never asked for an autograph, a baseball, a hat or anything else.....except for maybe pizza!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazz5 View Post
As hard as this is for me being a Giants fan, I just wanted to take a minute to recognize how much of a class act Tommy Lasorda is. I was at the dodger game yesterday, and happened to see Tommy in the dugout club before the game started (he was there to recognize a military foundation that I cant remember at the moment). He was patiently greeting the several fans that came up to him and asked him for autographs and pictures, and continued to be friendly and gracious with people that came up to his seat throughout the game. Its nice to see guys that made the game what it is today giving back to the fans and people that appreciate them so much. Thanks Tommy!
Dude.....no self respecting Giants fan gets his picture taken with fat Tommy. Yeah, he helped the rivalry but he is a big fat blowhard who I wouldn't give the time of day.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Andrew

I have always enjoyed this clip of Lasorda, there is a fair amount of bad language for anyone with virgin ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjWQF1oP2M
Old 08-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog*dirt View Post
I have always enjoyed this clip of Lasorda, there is a fair amount of bad language for anyone with virgin ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjWQF1oP2M
Bevacqua had it right....."that fat little Italian"

I will admit, I enjoyed the last Giants-D**gers game at Candlestick where Tommy strolled around blowing kisses to the crowd (with his name misspelled "Lasodra" on the jacket he wore). That doesn't mean I would EVER get my picture taken with him.