NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Default Interesting email from REA

Posted By: Cobby33

Point well taken. I think sentencing/punishment in State courts is a lot less organized and a lot less "equitable," given that disorganization.

Personally, I don't have an axe to grind with Skilling, et al., although I think what they did was below reproach.

At first blush, one wouldn't think that a "white collar" criminal should be doled-out the same (or worse) punishment than a violent criminal. Makes sense, to a certain extent, until you consider the number of victims and in many cases, the irreversible harm these people have done. In those cases, I don't see MUCH of a line (there still is) between violent offenders and "white collar" offenders.

I'm sure everyone is tired of listening to me, so I'll sign off on that thought...

Old 10-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The problem for the Skillings and Ebbers is that some sentencing is based directly
on the amount of money stolen (stolen may or may not be the appropriate word). Ala, if you steal
$100 you get a fine, if you steal $2,000 you get a fine plus 10 days in jail, etc.
For these guys, the amount was in the billions of dollars. This is comparable to
a sentence being based on the weight of the item stolen, and they stole Mars ("Bailiff,
please hand me my scale.").

Old 10-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

This is my 13th year as a judge. I render judgments and sentences. I have the fortune of being a state court judge, not restrained by sentencing guidelines. (Although those federal guys do have a better deal than I when it comes to compensation, job security, and retirement.) I'm relieved that it is judges who do the sentencing, not some of you guys who've posted above. Figuring out a fine on a speeding charge isn't really very difficult. Adjudicating child abuse and making custody determinations can be quite difficult and troubling due to the uncertainties of the situations. Again, I'm relieved to know that you guys aren't doing that. And I probably would not excell as well as you folks in your professions.

Realistically, you'd be a bit better off if you paid attention to what you were buying. Don't blindly trust slab labels and then whine. If you're spending big bucks (to you) on a card, establish a return policy prior to the purchase. Try to think of an old card like you would a used car. If I sold a used car to someone, and they come back in a few weeks mad because the car had a replacement gas cap, would that void the deal?? Was I trying to defraud them???

I understand cards aren't cars. And I agree that someone who intentionally bleaches or "soaks, stretches, and trims" a card with the intentions of selling the card to someone as a card that is unaltered... that person would be committing fraud. But it is at worst a theft, a crime against property. Don't compare that to murder, manslaughter, rape, sexual abuse, or other offenses against a person. At least don't do that and expect to be taken seriously.

This thread was about REA's email... not about administering Star Chamber justice on anyone who does anything to a baseball card.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I am personally far more at ease with a judge who has actually heard the evidence and can consider it controlling a sentence than with a judge being forced to look at a book and pick a sentence. We are having a lot of trouble here with sentencing mandates, both because at times the sentence doesn't fit the crime and because of the overall effect on our prison system of warehousing so many non-violent criminals for so long. While I am satisfied that Skilling is going to do a long stint given the current law, I do not think that our approach to crimes like his is sensible. Frankly, we don't need to waste $40,000 or more a year segregating Jeff Skilling from society; we need that money and the jail space to pay for incarcerating violent or crazy people. One of the reasons why violent offenders are paroled is that so many non-violent criminals are doing long stints, overcrowding the system with people who don't need to be there. I am of the view that prisons should be reserved for criminals whose acts pose an immediate life and safety threat for others, not for white collar offenders. Force them (under threat of prison if they don't cooperate) to cough up and pool all of their assets for their victims, let them spend years in state and Federal civil courts dealing with class actions and other suits brought by their victims, and make them spend the rest of their time on unpleasant community service work details. Break them financially and force them to live like the people they've victimized: impoverished in a brutally unsupportive society that is singular among the developed nations in lts lack of social safety net, public health care system, etc. A lifetime spent testifying against yourself, doing community service (freeway trash pick-up sounds good, or perhaps cleaning public toilets), living in slums and eating cat food sounds like better justice to me than putting the guy on a military base to garden.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

They can end a lot of overcrowding by legalizing marijuana. I'll take a pot smoker over a drunk any day of the week. I've never met a violent stoner, but there are plenty of violent drunks. That's why I don't have any friends that are alcoholics.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

So then, the conclusion of our assessment is that the best way to address the problem of doctored cards in top end graded holders, is to legalize marijuana.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

You've got my vote (whatever on earth it has to do with altered cards- maybe altered state of consciousness).

Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

The scans of the Lajoie really aren't that helpful and it's difficult to compare scans of different sizes. I would be nice to see large hi resolution scans of this card (front and back) in the GAI3 holder.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Is this PSA 2 in Memory Lane's auction the same card as the card previously in PSA 1MK and GAI 3 holders?

http://www.memorylaneinc.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=4760&getauctionid=64

Edited to put the two scans of the PSA 2 and PSA 1MK next to each other.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Centering sure seems to be the same

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

No question that is the same card.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Absolutely, positively, the same card..............

Tony Andrea

Old 11-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Definitely the same card....but where did the writing on the back go?????

Frank

Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Administrator

The crease wasn't perfectly removed. If you look at Lajoie's left shoulder (right side of the card) you can still see where the crease was in that area.

Jay

Old 11-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

Wow..... Scary and amazing at the same time.

Even the nick just to the left of the (L) on the top border is still there. All be it much lighter.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It's definitely the same card.....and you can still see the much worked on crease in the middle, in the bottom pic.....This would make a good debate. I do believe the structural integrity was compromised with the crease as heavy as it was. I would sure hate to be the one buying it in the 2 holder if I didn't know about the before picture.....If I did know about the before picture then I could bid accordingly...it's still a nice card. This is one I would want full disclosure on and could be an issue. best regards

edited to add, after looking again, those could almost be heavy surface wrinkles....hard to tell without seeing the backs....and both are nice for their grade, I agree with cmoking on that...

Old 11-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

My opinion is that it is the best PSA 1MK I've ever seen. That's the lowest grade that PSA can give a card, and it doesn't look bad from an eye-appeal perspective.

If I had seen the PSA 2 without knowing it's history, I'd think it looks like a fantastic PSA 2 also.