NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2021, 10:04 PM
A.J. Johnson

Default Card prices skyrocketing

I lived through the 90's card gold rush (albeit as a teenager) and remember the exuberance of that time period with people multiples deep at every table at the Anaheim CA national. But I've never seen anything like what's happening right now to card prices across both modern and vintage and across the spectrum of sports.

I think we've all talked about the increase since last March when COVID set in, but what's happening since mid December I can't explain. Prices double, tripling and more for major rookie offerings across football, basketball and baseball.

Someone posted a YT video with a guy saying that the big money investors (hedge funds etc) have moved into the hobby. Don't know if that's true but could explain what's going on.

What a wild ride and will be interesting to see where and if it ends
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 01-24-2021 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:59 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
I lived through the 90's card gold rush (albeit as a teenager) and remember the exuberance of that time period with people multiples deep at every table at the Anaheim CA national. But I've never seen anything like what's happening right now to card prices across both modern and vintage and across the spectrum of sports.

I think we've all talked about the increase since last March when COVID set in, but what's happening since mid December I can't explain. Prices double, tripling and more for major rookie offerings across football, basketball and baseball.

Someone posted a YT video with a guy saying that the big money investors (hedge funds etc) have moved into the hobby. Don't know if that's true but could explain what's going on.

I don't think this is any worse than the junk wax craze. Back then, if someone obscure farted on the ball right for half a season, their best rookie card would go from basically a 5-10 cent common up to $10 (Kevin Mitchell, Cecil Fielder, Kevin Seitzer) and there were many thousands each of those cards out there.

People would buy 1000 '88 Fleer Gregg Jefferies instead of one Jason Dominguez or Trae Young numbered card.

And I could be wrong (let me know more examples if I am, would be curious), but I haven't seen much "triple or more" since mid December, except the Lemieux OPC 10 that's currently up for auction. Some top stuff has doubled or a little better in that time, like everything Jordan '86 to '88, but I haven't noticed much 3-5 times or more gains in that period

Last edited by cardsagain74; 01-24-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:22 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:

I saw you have a lot of super high end card for sale, you should be happy that you're making a lot of money. big money investor from what looks like is true. stimulus extra money and working from home limiting spending won't land you to buy $10k+ card. Another thing i see is the fed continues to print money. Stocks in reality are way overbought. Investing in housing for rental due to covid now rents has gone down a lot and you might not able to collect rent. what else can you park the money? gold? bitcoin?
Sportscard looks like the new trend maybe similar to earlier days of bitcoin but at least you have a physical asset to hold. And investor have option to play safe or volatile(modern/vintage). meanwhile many of the big money investor probably a collector when they were a kid
Old 01-25-2021, 01:04 AM
A.J. Johnson

Don't think there's ever been a time where there's been more $100,000+ cards for sale on ebay.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 01-25-2021, 03:04 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Don't think there's ever been a time where there's been more $100,000+ cards for sale on ebay.
This :

https://goldinauctions.com/2017_Pani...-LOT73069.aspx

Seriously??

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 01-25-2021 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:07 AM
Robert J. Miller

That is insane. I would rather have T206 Cobbs that a signed patch card of Mahomes. Current bid at $160K would buy a lot of Cobbs....Johnsons...and Mathewson's.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:00 AM

A wise man (Hi Scott Levy ) once said to me, "Try to buy the best player, from the best set, in the best condition."

Not saying I've successfully done that always, but the point is, if you're collecting T206, try for Cobb, Matty, Cy, with tougher backs...(or Wagner, Hi Ryan! )...if you're collecting Goudey, try for Ruth, Gehrig, in the best condition you can, if you're collecting Cracker Jacks, Cobb, Matty, Jackson...if you're collecting post-war/Modern- Mantle, Jordan, Gretzky, Jeter, etc. And try to get their rookies, or most popular sets their in.

(Now add to that, Trout, Mahomes, LeBron, etc).

Seek out the best cards, of the players, in the best condition, you can get. It sounds simple/easy, but one can easily go down a collecting road that's too niche or esoteric (nothing wrong with that, but that does limit buyers if & when you decide to resell).

(PS- Just looked on eBay, seems like Jeter's SP is the next to skyrocket.)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 01-25-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:53 PM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
That is insane. I would rather have T206 Cobbs that a signed patch card of Mahomes. Current bid at $160K would buy a lot of Cobbs....Johnsons...and Mathewson's.
Correct thx robert
Old 02-21-2021, 09:02 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
LOL..."A fool and his money..."
Old 02-21-2021, 10:37 AM
Johnny MaZilli

It’s a Shit or Get off the Pot Moment. Keep and Be Happy, Sell and Be Happy, just remember if in a year or two you try to get what stuff your stuff is selling for right now don’t cry if you can’t, and if you do sell now and it goes up way more in two years don’t cry either, that’s all.

Last edited by Johnny630; 02-21-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:30 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Quote:
Really? Come on now..
Old 01-26-2021, 04:59 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I look at this hobby and my collection a little differently. My focus is to build a collection of cards combining what I collected as a kid and what currently appeals to me as I go down the collector path fine tuning as I go. It has to be a collection that has meaning to me. It also has to be both challenging and enjoyable.
I like the appeal of a well curated collection with focus, If I occasionally overpay for a card it doesn't really matter to me because it fits my collection, as long as I'm not foolish about it and it's within my budget. So after I'm gone and my kid opens those suitcases with Al Crisafulli's kid to decide what its worth and if my Son wants to sell all or part of it that's up to him, I would imagine though, that he would say "that's a helluva collection you built there pops".
Ive been blessed to have the ability to earn enough to spend money on things like baseball cards and I'm grateful every day for that. Above all, it has to be fun though. Ive done many things in my life that weren't enjoyable so the minute this hobby is no longer fun I'm out, I could stop today and still have a very nice collection.

The things that I consider priceless here are the friendships and connections I've made, you can't buy those at any price.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-27-2021, 06:57 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I look at this hobby and my collection a little differently. My focus is to build a collection of cards combining what I collected as a kid and what currently appeals to me as I go down the collector path fine tuning as I go. It has to be a collection that has meaning to me. It also has to be both challenging and enjoyable.
I like the appeal of a well curated collection with focus, If I occasionally overpay for a card it doesn't really matter to me because it fits my collection, as long as I'm not foolish about it and it's within my budget. So after I'm gone and my kid opens those suitcases with Al Crisafulli's kid to decide what its worth and if my Son wants to sell all or part of it that's up to him, I would imagine though, that he would say "that's a helluva collection you built there pops".
Ive been blessed to have the ability to earn enough to spend money on things like baseball cards and I'm grateful every day for that. Above all, it has to be fun though. Ive done many things in my life that weren't enjoyable so the minute this hobby is no longer fun I'm out, I could stop today and still have a very nice collection.

The things that I consider priceless here are the friendships and connections I've made, you can't buy those at any price.
I'm catching up on this thread from the bottom up. when I read this post.... especially this part : "that's a helluva collection you built there pops".

It reminded me of this:

just over three years ago, I was going thru a divorce and had reason to assign a value to my collection, so.... I cataloged and photographed/scanned everything and sent to several dealers asking them to make an offer to buy everything lock stock and barrel. I received offers from several, but one gave this compliment along with his offer: "You have the most solid low-grade collection I've ever seen."

He didn't have to write that. I remember smiling and welling up a bit when I read that, and I've thought of the compliment many many times since then. I'm even smiling and welling up a bit now!

Anyway, thanks for the post..... it resonates fully with me.

Last edited by tonyo; 01-27-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:01 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I'm catching up on this thread from the bottom up. when I read this post.... especially this part : "that's a helluva collection you built there pops".

It reminded me of this:

just over three years ago, I was going thru a divorce and had reason to assign a value to my collection, so.... I cataloged and photographed/scanned everything and sent to several dealers asking them to make an offer to buy everything lock stock and barrel. I received offers from several, but one gave this compliment along with his offer: "You have the most solid low-grade collection I've ever seen."

He didn't have to write that. I remember smiling and welling up a bit when I read that, and I've thought of the compliment many many times since then. I'm even smiling and welling up a bit now!

OMG your wife knew what you have and what it's worth???
Old 01-27-2021, 10:07 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
OMG your wife knew what you have and what it's worth???
Haha. No, you need to read closer. He gave his inventory to some dealers who knew he wasn't selling and got back low ball offers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2021, 09:01 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post

It reminded me of this:

When I went through my divorce in the mid 90's, I had to give up my baseball card collection and it helped me survive. Fast forward, I traded way way up in the wife department and baseball collection market as well. Hope that made you laugh a little, but it's true. I hope it happens for you as well
Old 01-28-2021, 10:48 PM
Al Stein

Unfortunately there is no rule that cards will always be valued. We collect them because they tie us to the past and because baseball has such a long and rich history there are a lot of great connections we can make. But the relative value of baseball cards is very much dependent on how many future collectors want to make that connection to baseball history, which to a large extent depends on how popular baseball continues to be.

I am rooting for baseball to keep its spot in our culture for generations to come but I don't see that as a sure thing, and if the game becomes less important to us then the cards will too.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:36 AM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Totally agree with this.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:28 AM
Fred

Ok, I hate to be sacrilegious, but it's only CARDBOARD...
Old 01-31-2021, 02:24 PM
Chris

I've shared Mariners season tickets for years with two old friends that live, eat and breathe baseball. We spend a lot of time talking about the history of baseball for obvious reasons.

Last week I picked up a 1919 W514 Eddie Cicotte and sent them an image. They both know the story, loved the card, and guessed I paid, "somewhere around $20" for it. Then they offered to give me boxes of their old 'worthless cards' from the 1970s/80s.

It's easy to see the bubble from the inside, but these two guys have no idea at all there might be one, nor do they care. Investments in our world aren't cards, bitcoin or Gamestop.

I have had a great time getting back into cards, but also realize I'm part of the problem. I've spent far more on some cards than they're worth because of FOMO.

Now I'm back to buying what 9-16 year old me couldn't imagine owning, and the more creases, marks, stains and crushed corners they have the better. I prefer it being somewhat centered though because I have standards.

Looking forward to continuing to learn more about not just the history of baseball, but the cards the mark the different eras from you all as a collector, not an investor. That's what I love most about the return to cards
Chris

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited by WA_HOF_rookie; 01-31-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It's gotten so nuts that when you do come across something really good at a low price you do a double-take. Some sellers (I think) have mark-down programs in place where it seems they mark down cards as they don't sell. I stumbled across a card I really wanted the other night, marked down 75% in an eBay store and couldn't hit the BIN quick enough.

Pete, that was some barn-burner with Sterling last night. I had a sizable consignment and figured to break even or maybe make a bit when I sent it in; I was thrilled to nearly double my money. I've spent all day digging out more stuff to sell.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-31-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:08 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It's gotten so nuts that when you do come across something really good at a low price you do a double-take. Some sellers (I think) have mark-down programs in place where it seems they mark down cards as they don't sell. I stumbled across a card I really wanted the other night, marked down 75% in an eBay store and couldn't hit the BIN quick enough.

Pete, that was some barn-burner with Sterling last night. I had a sizable consignment and figured to break even or maybe make a bit when I sent it in; I was thrilled to nearly double my money. I've spent all day digging out more stuff to sell.
I think I'm just going to forget about ebay all together, unfortunately. I'm going to see if I can make it down to the Philly show when they have it just to deal with some person to person deals. Between the post office still being out of whack, and rising prices on the internet apart of me doesn't want to deal with anything, outside of here, and shows that is.

Hopefully in June Prices won't be quadrupled what they are now, but who knows at this point?

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:55 PM
Fred

When "Dean's Cards" BINs seem reasonable, you know we're in a period of hobby hyper-inflation.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:28 PM
Frank Bev.ilac.qua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
When "Dean's Cards" BINs seem reasonable, you know we're in a period of hobby hyper-inflation.
Love it! So true!
Old 02-07-2021, 05:02 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
That's the good news: more stuff will be coming out.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
That's the good news: more stuff will be coming out.
Econ 101, right: the demand raises prices until owners decide to sell and the supply increases enough to achieve equilibrium.

Econ 102: the speculators then bail out, prices drop, and many people who jumped on the FOMO bandwagon are left holding their...cards.

Econ 103: eventually, they capitulate and get out for whatever they can. People who've waited out the run up now buy.

Econ 104: ten years later another bubble inflates.

You know you are getting older when you can recall three or four of these card price cycles. The bizarro world part of this latest one is that the boom is driven by boredom and is taking place despite the economy and the bust likely will result from a return to more normal economic activity.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-08-2021 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:15 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Econ 101, right: the demand raises prices until owners decide to sell and the supply increases enough to achieve equilibrium.

Econ 102: the speculators then bail out, prices drop, and many people who jumped on the FOMO bandwagon are left holding their...cards.

Econ 103: eventually, they capitulate and get out for whatever they can. People who've waited out the run up now buy.

You know you are getting older when you can recall three or four of these card price cycles. The bizarro world part of this latest one is that the boom is driven by boredom and is taking place despite the economy and the bust likely will result from a return to more normal economic activity.
+1 Adam! Nice post for 2 in the morning (3 your time?)

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-08-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Why is this bizarro? The hobby originally took off during the second worst economic crisis in our country's history after the great depression? We had double digit unemployment, double digit inflation and double digit interest rates yet there were enough people with money to buy baseball cards that everything rose dramatically in price.

Now we have the government sending everyone 3200.00 and people are locked in their homes with little to spend it on. Why wouldn't you expect some of it to go into cards when the government gives out free money to people who don't need it? After the stock market crash last year, why shouldn't people diversify into this hobby which has a 40 year history of solid growth?

I agree with your 4 points, but what we don't know is how many of these new investors will leave when we have the correction. That will determine if the drop will be minor or prices will correct back to close to where they were a year ago.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:28 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_HOF_rookie View Post
I've shared Mariners season tickets for years with two old friends that live, eat and breathe baseball. We spend a lot of time talking about the history of baseball for obvious reasons.

Last week I picked up a 1919 W514 Eddie Cicotte and sent them an image. They both know the story, loved the card, and guessed I paid, "somewhere around $20" for it. Then they offered to give me boxes of their old 'worthless cards' from the 1970s/80s.

It's easy to see the bubble from the inside, but these two guys have no idea at all there might be one, nor do they care. Investments in our world aren't cards, bitcoin or Gamestop.

I have had a great time getting back into cards, but also realize I'm part of the problem. I've spent far more on some cards than they're worth because of FOMO.

Now I'm back to buying what 9-16 year old me couldn't imagine owning, and the more creases, marks, stains and crushed corners they have the better. I prefer it being somewhat centered though because I have standards.

Looking forward to continuing to learn more about not just the history of baseball, but the cards the mark the different eras from you all as a collector, not an investor. That's what I love most about the return to cards
Chris

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
This is me as well. Back into cards after a hiatus and collecting what I like. Doesn't have to be graded just a nice looking card. I love baseball and baseball cards. Always have and always will. Just a fun hobby to be involved in if you aren't in it for the money. Money always adds stress to everything.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:

IMO, it’s shill bidding on EBay. A seller bids his item up higher than it would’ve gone for, then the next guy sells same card and says that a comp value/worth. In some cases I think the seller who does the shill bidding wins his own card under a different username. Sometimes I see the same card come up for sale that within a week and sometimes it’s same seller or the supposed buyer who just won it.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:35 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I think there will be a nice correction soon. Let’s get back to pre Feb 2021 vintage numbers and I’ll be happy.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:05 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I'm buying.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:10 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Simmons View Post
IMO, it’s shill bidding on EBay. A seller bids his item up higher than it would’ve gone for, then the next guy sells same card and says that a comp value/worth. In some cases I think the seller who does the shill bidding wins his own card under a different username. Sometimes I see the same card come up for sale that within a week and sometimes it’s same seller or the supposed buyer who just won it.
You think shill bidding on ebay is what is responsible for the market growth since last December? As in you actually believe that it's the primary factor driving prices across the entire market?
Old 11-27-2021, 05:49 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I am a Ruth and Jackson guy.

I do not see any dips.

Plus the cards from the 20’s for Ruth that used to be fairly priced or under valued are escalating in prices and keeps going up auction after auction.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-27-2021, 09:43 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I am a Ruth and Jackson guy.

I do not see any dips.

Plus the cards from the 20’s for Ruth that used to be fairly priced or under valued are escalating in prices and keeps going up auction after auction.
I think it would take a full blown collapse of the economy for Ruth prices to fall. Ruth cards from his playing days and the 52 Mantle seem pretty impervious to most of the market swings we've seen over the past couple years.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:08 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I think it would take a full blown collapse of the economy for Ruth prices to fall. Ruth cards from his playing days and the 52 Mantle seem pretty impervious to most of the market swings we've seen over the past couple years.
In March a PSA 4 52T Mantle sold for $148,000. The market right now is about half of that. That card has gone down from its peak just like every other one has.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:36 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
You think shill bidding on ebay is what is responsible for the market growth since last December? As in you actually believe that it's the primary factor driving prices across the entire market?
Yeah these clowns have some ridiculous theories. No ridiculous conspiracy they don’t run to the Max on. They get a colonel of truth and push it to absurd extremes. Bunch of bitter jerks screaming at the kids to get off their damn lawn.