NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Default E98 set...which commons was toughest for you? Which HOFer?

Posted By: Dave F

Just curious as to anyone's answers. I know Vaughn, Coombs, Tenney and such are considered the toughies. But thanks to Rob and TBob and Bruce those have been took care of...what about anybody's opinion on the toughest HOF'er you personally had problems acquiring?

Old 12-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Kindler

Dave,
I have to admit that the E98 set has become my obsession in the collecting world. I have basically focussed on them over the past three years trying to obtain a set. Unfortunatly, I don't have a huge pocket book when it comes to collecting. Four children and a wife of course take priority to finances! I have 29 out of 30 now and am 1 away. The COBB. So I would have to say that it is the Cobb which I have had the most trouble getting. I have 14 10/1, 4 20/1.5, 6 30/2,
and 5 40/3. I would definately say that higher graded cards are hard for me and my budget to come by. I have especially had trouble finding the McLean in any condition higher than a 10/1. I have only seen a few for sale over the years and they all seem to be low, I mean dog chew toy condition 10s like mine! But I really don't mind lower condition cards. They are 100 years old and I don't mind them looking like they are 100 years old either. I have purposely stayed away for Authentic graded ones though. I would rather have a beat up 10/1 than an altered, nicer looking one. Just my opinion.
Thanks again to Brian McQueen and Rob Adesso for their help in aquiring many of the E98s that I have.
My favorite E98 is my Honus Wagner with an Old Put back. I would love to post scans, but I am an idiot when it comes to computers. I can't get a scan to work! Maybe I need to check the history of posts sometime for help, because I'm sure somebody else has had the same trouble as me.

Good luck with your pursuit of my favorite set, E98!

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to whatever Holiday anyone else celebrates!
Tim Kindler

Old 12-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Hi Dave, happy holidays! I think most of us who have put this set together one or more times, card by card, think the Ed Walsh is the toughest HOFer in the set with Connie Mack a close 2nd.
tbob

Old 12-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

I agree with tbob that walsh is the toughest and I think mack is 2nd but not nearly as tough to find..just seems to command a high price.
Alan

Old 12-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

Walsh is the toughest followed by the popular Mack pose. Tbob and Alan nailed it. Walsh is tough to find in any condition.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce MacPherson

Walsh is hands down the toughest HOFer. I would concur with Bob and Alan that Mack is #2a. I would put Matty at #2b. Both of these can be tough, especially in better than "good" condition. Others have told me that Clarke was a tough one for them, but based on my experience, he is no tougher than the rest.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

i see the least of walsh, matty, mack in that order...

easiest chance, bender, lajoie. not alot of mysteries to this set.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Fred Clarke is a tough one nobody else has mentioned. Matty and Mack rank as well.
JimB

Old 12-25-2007, 03:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

Did you put a bid in on this.

Wow...almost $10,000, anyone think this went High/Low?

http://tinyurl.com/3735te

Old 12-25-2007, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Mark-

I did not. Too low grade...makes me want to throw up a little.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Wow Tim.

The Old Put Wagner is the king of the e98s. Congrats. on that card! Hang in there with the Cobb.

.................................................. .........................

Walsh is a tough card in this set as he is in other sets. I've had four or five walsh e98 cards and they've all been hammered. Hopefully I'll upgrade him someday.

I agree with Tim too about Mclean. It's a hard player to find in good condition or better, but most e98s are.

Cmon Quan, there's mystery! How bout...who made the set?

Rob

Old 12-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy

That auction ends for thousands less than I had expected.