NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-15-2020, 06:40 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Day 289 (October 15, 2020 – 289)

On Thursday, October 15, 1970, was the 5th and final game of the 1970 World Series where the Orioles clinched the Series in five games. The final game was played in Memorial Stadium and it was questionable whether the game would be played at all due to rain. The outfield was wet, and the game started in a light drizzle, but ultimately the rain subsided, and the game was on...

Orioles win 9-3 to be the World Series champs for 1970! Winning pitcher for Game 5 was Mike Cuellar.

Brooks Robinson won the World Series MVP Award hitting .429 for the Series and made some great defensive plays (to B’more fans - typical plays) in the field.
I've posted these before, but seems to be a perfect time to repost in case someone missed them.

A couple mugs celebrating the 1970 World Series

1970 Brooks Robinson Tankard (American Airlines).JPG

1970 Chrysler Tankard (World Series).jpg
Old 10-15-2020, 03:19 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
I've posted these before, but seems to be a perfect time to repost in case someone missed them.

A couple mugs celebrating the 1970 World Series
Great looking mugs! Sure doesn't hurt at all to see them again...
Old 10-16-2020, 01:56 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 290 (October 16, 2020 – 290)

As Oriole fans we’d see Brooks Robinson make the same type of plays, or even tougher plays, since he began his career; he always excelled in this area and became the measuring bar everyone else is compared. The 1970 WS just spotlighted what the Baltimore fans had already known for around 15 years and it was no surprise; Brooks just had more opportunity this series due to the pull hitters on the Reds. Also, just a side note, Brooks was 33 years old in the ’70 Series so he was not an up and coming prospect, but a well-established player. Dick Hall commented about Brooks’ play in the series and stated, “We kind of laughed at the fuss everyone made – we’d seen him [Brooks] make those kinds of plays for years.”

A few quotes from Sparky:

Quotes: "I hope the car they (Sport Magazine who awarded it to the World Series MVP) give him (Brooks Robinson) has an extra-large glove box." - Sparky Anderson

Quote: "I'm beginning to see Brooks (Robinson) in my sleep. If I dropped a paper plate, he'd pick it up on one hop and throw me out at first." - Sparky Anderson

Quote: "He can throw his glove out there and it will start ten double plays by itself." - Sparky Anderson

The Daily News paper from October 16, 1970 recapping the final game of the Series with the newspaper heading, “Series for the Birds”; “Orioles Bury Reds, 9-3, for Title”.

Day 290 Publication 1970 Daily News October 16.jpg
Old 10-16-2020, 06:50 AM
Bill H@e1ig

OTD in 1983 the Orioles defeated the Phillies 5-0 behind the bats of Eddie Murray & Rick Dempsey and the pitching of Scott McGregor to become World Champions....

Old 10-16-2020, 08:16 AM
Alan Strout

Default Tom Phoebus No-Hitter

As I reflect on other great moments in Orioles history, I'm reminded of one of the favorites from my childhood. In 1968, Tom Phoebus threw the third no-hitter in Orioles history. Since it was against the Red Sox, that made the moment even sweeter for me. We would get Red Sox games on TV in Maine, so I was able to watch it all unfold. While most of the details of the game have faded, the feeling and excitement still remains. I found a write up of the game on the SABR site.

April 27, 1968 Orioles 6 Red Sox 0

Phoebus was the O’s winning pitcher on opening day in 1968, defeating Oakland 3-1. On April 27, the Orioles were scheduled to play the second of a four-game series against the defending American League champion Boston Red Sox at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. Pheobus, now 2-1, was listed as the starter but his status was up in the air after he had to leave the ballpark in the middle of the game the night before due to sickness. The next morning, Phoebus spoke with manager Hank Bauer on the phone in regard to his availability to pitch that day. Shaking off the effects of a severe cold and sore throat, Phoebus told Bauer he was ready to go.

Saturday, April 27, was a cool and overcast day with the temperature hovering around 60 degrees. Intermittent rain showers throughout the morning and early afternoon led to an hour and 23 minute delay before home plate umpire Frank Umont finally called “play ball.” There were 3,147 paid customers in the stands along with an additional 11,568 children and their parents who were part of the “Safety Patrol Day” crowd.

The 26-year old Phoebus, who hadn’t pitched in a week, ran into trouble in the top of the first inning. With one out, he walked Red Sox third baseman Joe Foy, who took second on a wild pitch to batter Carl Yastrzemski. Foy then tried to steal third but was cut down by catcher Curt Blefary on what Lou Hatter of the Baltimore Sun described as “A flawless peg to [Brooks] Robinson.” Blefary was filling in for first-string catcher Andy Etchebarren, who was struck on the hand by Red Sox pitcher Lee Stange the night before. Blefary, the 1965 American League Rookie of the Year, was listed in the Orioles media guide as an outfielder/first baseman. This was only the fourth time he appeared as a catcher in a major league game.

From that point on, Phoebus found his groove, although a bit of controversy arose in the Boston half of the third inning. With two out, Red Sox second baseman Mike Andrews hit a high chopper back up the middle that tipped off the top of Phoebus’ glove. Oriole shortstop Mark Belanger charged in and gathered up the ball on the run just behind the mound. Making an off-balance toss, Belanger’s throw landed in first baseman Boog Powell’s mitt just before Andrews crossed the bag, first base umpire Bill Valentine signaling out on the play. Andrews along with Red Sox manager Dick Williams and first base coach Bobby Doerr argued vehemently with Valentine over the call. Andrews was so upset he slammed his batting helmet on the ground, the carom narrowly missing Valentine. This led to Andrews’ ejection as the embattled arbiter felt that the Red Sox second baseman had intentionally tried to hit him with his helmet.

For the remainder of the game Phoebus had the hard-hitting Boston lineup at his mercy. The Red Sox next chance for a hit came in the seventh inning but another fine play by Belanger on a Joe Lahoud check swing grounder kept Phoebus’ no-hitter intact.

With one out in the top of the eighth, Boston shortstop Rico Petrocelli drilled Phoebus’ first offering towards the hole between short and third. Brooks Robinson, manning the hot corner, instinctively dove out to his left, fully extended, and snared the scorching liner just inches above the ground. In regard to his remarkable play that saved the no-hitter, Robinson told Doug Brown of The Sporting News, “Petrocelli got out in front of the ball and it curved back toward me. Otherwise, I never would have had it.”

Robinson’s grab was considered to be the defensive gem of the game by Phoebus, who retired the next four batters, including Joe Foy, who struck out to end the game. Phoebus threw 110 pitches, fanned nine, and walked three. It was the third no-hitter thrown by an Oriole pitcher since Baltimore rejoined the American League in 1954.

The Birds scored four times in the third and once in the fifth off Red Sox starter Gary Waslewski. Garry Roggenburk relieved Waslewski in the sixth. He finished out the game, allowing one more Baltimore run in the eighth inning.

Brooks Robinson broke the game open in the third inning with a bases-loaded double down the rightfield line that plated three runs. Oriole second baseman Davey Johnson compiled three hits on the afternoon including a double and 2 RBI. Helping his own cause, Phoebus garnered two singles and he drove in a run.

Blefary spoke to sports writer Jim Elliot of the Baltimore Sun after the game, “There is no doubt that this is my biggest thrill in baseball, primarily because I never caught the guy before. Tom was simply fantastic-unbelievable. He made it easy-threw everything for a strike-fastball, curve and slider. He had great stuff-great stuff. After the fourth inning, he popped the ball where he wanted to.”

The hero of the day, Phoebus, told the Baltimore Sun, “This is a great thrill-my greatest. I’ll tell you especially to get it against Boston. The Red Sox are the champs and they are a great hitting team so it would have to be a double thrill to beat them. I felt a little pressure in the ninth and decided I would just try to get the ball over. With that defense behind me, it was the only thing to do.”

The following afternoon, Phoebus was presented with The Sporting News Rookie Pitcher of the Year Award (for 1967) at Memorial Stadium. According to The Sporting News, Oriole personnel director Harry Dalton tore up Phoebus’ contract the next day and wrote out a new one. The Baltimore Sun noted that he received a well-deserved $1,000 bonus for tossing the no-hitter.

Letter from Tom Phoebus to a fan

s-l1600.jpg

Tom Phoebus, Curt Blefary and Andy Etchebarren

Phoebus, Tom 1 - Copy.jpg Blefary, Curt 5 - Copy.jpg Etchebarren, Andy 6 - Copy.jpg

Interestingly, all three guys are also on my "All Unibrow" team
Old 10-17-2020, 02:45 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 291 (October 17, 2020 – 291)

Baltimore Orioles LP vinyl called 1970: Year of the Birds. The cover of the album has the same image used on the ’70 World Series program. Personally, I think this looks even better since it’s surrounded by ORANGE. This example is still sealed, and I only have one copy, so I haven’t broken it out and put it on the record player.

Album – 1970: Year of the Birds

Day 291 Album 1970 Year of the Birds - Front.jpg
Day 291 Album 1970 Year of the Birds - Back.jpg
Old 10-17-2020, 05:47 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
As I reflect on other great moments in Orioles history, I'm reminded of one of the favorites from my childhood. In 1968, Tom Phoebus threw the third no-hitter in Orioles history. Since it was against the Red Sox, that made the moment even sweeter for me. We would get Red Sox games on TV in Maine, so I was able to watch it all unfold. While most of the details of the game have faded, the feeling and excitement still remains. I found a write up of the game on the SABR site.

April 27, 1968 Orioles 6 Red Sox 0

Phoebus was the O’s winning pitcher on opening day in 1968, defeating Oakland 3-1. On April 27, the Orioles were scheduled to play the second of a four-game series against the defending American League champion Boston Red Sox at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. Pheobus, now 2-1, was listed as the starter but his status was up in the air after he had to leave the ballpark in the middle of the game the night before due to sickness. The next morning, Phoebus spoke with manager Hank Bauer on the phone in regard to his availability to pitch that day. Shaking off the effects of a severe cold and sore throat, Phoebus told Bauer he was ready to go.

Saturday, April 27, was a cool and overcast day with the temperature hovering around 60 degrees. Intermittent rain showers throughout the morning and early afternoon led to an hour and 23 minute delay before home plate umpire Frank Umont finally called “play ball.” There were 3,147 paid customers in the stands along with an additional 11,568 children and their parents who were part of the “Safety Patrol Day” crowd.

The 26-year old Phoebus, who hadn’t pitched in a week, ran into trouble in the top of the first inning. With one out, he walked Red Sox third baseman Joe Foy, who took second on a wild pitch to batter Carl Yastrzemski. Foy then tried to steal third but was cut down by catcher Curt Blefary on what Lou Hatter of the Baltimore Sun described as “A flawless peg to [Brooks] Robinson.” Blefary was filling in for first-string catcher Andy Etchebarren, who was struck on the hand by Red Sox pitcher Lee Stange the night before. Blefary, the 1965 American League Rookie of the Year, was listed in the Orioles media guide as an outfielder/first baseman. This was only the fourth time he appeared as a catcher in a major league game.

From that point on, Phoebus found his groove, although a bit of controversy arose in the Boston half of the third inning. With two out, Red Sox second baseman Mike Andrews hit a high chopper back up the middle that tipped off the top of Phoebus’ glove. Oriole shortstop Mark Belanger charged in and gathered up the ball on the run just behind the mound. Making an off-balance toss, Belanger’s throw landed in first baseman Boog Powell’s mitt just before Andrews crossed the bag, first base umpire Bill Valentine signaling out on the play. Andrews along with Red Sox manager Dick Williams and first base coach Bobby Doerr argued vehemently with Valentine over the call. Andrews was so upset he slammed his batting helmet on the ground, the carom narrowly missing Valentine. This led to Andrews’ ejection as the embattled arbiter felt that the Red Sox second baseman had intentionally tried to hit him with his helmet.

For the remainder of the game Phoebus had the hard-hitting Boston lineup at his mercy. The Red Sox next chance for a hit came in the seventh inning but another fine play by Belanger on a Joe Lahoud check swing grounder kept Phoebus’ no-hitter intact.

With one out in the top of the eighth, Boston shortstop Rico Petrocelli drilled Phoebus’ first offering towards the hole between short and third. Brooks Robinson, manning the hot corner, instinctively dove out to his left, fully extended, and snared the scorching liner just inches above the ground. In regard to his remarkable play that saved the no-hitter, Robinson told Doug Brown of The Sporting News, “Petrocelli got out in front of the ball and it curved back toward me. Otherwise, I never would have had it.”

Robinson’s grab was considered to be the defensive gem of the game by Phoebus, who retired the next four batters, including Joe Foy, who struck out to end the game. Phoebus threw 110 pitches, fanned nine, and walked three. It was the third no-hitter thrown by an Oriole pitcher since Baltimore rejoined the American League in 1954.

The Birds scored four times in the third and once in the fifth off Red Sox starter Gary Waslewski. Garry Roggenburk relieved Waslewski in the sixth. He finished out the game, allowing one more Baltimore run in the eighth inning.

Brooks Robinson broke the game open in the third inning with a bases-loaded double down the rightfield line that plated three runs. Oriole second baseman Davey Johnson compiled three hits on the afternoon including a double and 2 RBI. Helping his own cause, Phoebus garnered two singles and he drove in a run.

Blefary spoke to sports writer Jim Elliot of the Baltimore Sun after the game, “There is no doubt that this is my biggest thrill in baseball, primarily because I never caught the guy before. Tom was simply fantastic-unbelievable. He made it easy-threw everything for a strike-fastball, curve and slider. He had great stuff-great stuff. After the fourth inning, he popped the ball where he wanted to.”

The hero of the day, Phoebus, told the Baltimore Sun, “This is a great thrill-my greatest. I’ll tell you especially to get it against Boston. The Red Sox are the champs and they are a great hitting team so it would have to be a double thrill to beat them. I felt a little pressure in the ninth and decided I would just try to get the ball over. With that defense behind me, it was the only thing to do.”

The following afternoon, Phoebus was presented with The Sporting News Rookie Pitcher of the Year Award (for 1967) at Memorial Stadium. According to The Sporting News, Oriole personnel director Harry Dalton tore up Phoebus’ contract the next day and wrote out a new one. The Baltimore Sun noted that he received a well-deserved $1,000 bonus for tossing the no-hitter.

Letter from Tom Phoebus to a fan

Tom Phoebus, Curt Blefary and Andy Etchebarren

Interestingly, all three guys are also on my "All Unibrow" team
Alan:

Fantastic post.....Here is a signed press photo from that game that I believe I posted earlier:

Old 10-17-2020, 07:41 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:

Baltimore Orioles LP vinyl called 1970: Year of the Birds. The cover of the album has the same image used on the ’70 World Series program. Personally, I think this looks even better since it’s surrounded by ORANGE. This example is still sealed, and I only have one copy, so I haven’t broken it out and put it on the record player.

Mark,

I have the 8 Track tape version of the same record, but can't seem to find a picture of it. It's not as colorful as the vinyl record. I listened to it a few times back in the day, but not surprisingly haven't for a long time. I do remember enjoying it as a kid.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:01 PM

Here is the 1971 Season Ticket brochure touting the World Champs. Unfortunately not an item from my personal collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 Poster Back.jpg (71.9 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 1971 Poster.jpg (74.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 10-17-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Attachment 422262
Attachment 422261
Here is a picture of the LP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 Year of the Birds LP.jpg (64.7 KB, 174 views)
Old 10-18-2020, 05:09 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 292 (October 18, 2020 – 292)

Sports Illustre October 1970

Day 292 Publication Foreign Sport Illustre.jpg

Last edited by Mark70Z; 10-18-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:11 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

I have the 8 Track tape version of the same record, but can't seem to find a picture of it. It's not as colorful as the vinyl record. I listened to it a few times back in the day, but not surprisingly haven't for a long time. I do remember enjoying it as a kid.
If you ever find it please post. I don't think I've seen this in an 8 track... I did have a few back in the day, but just the music versions.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:14 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleerfan View Post
Here is a picture of the LP
Thanks for posting; never seen the inside record; pretty cool.

Oh, and thanks for posting the '71 Orioles season ticket brochure. I've never seen this particular version before (Alan do you have this version?)
Old 10-18-2020, 08:00 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1960 Leaf Orioles set

I don't think this set has been highlighted before. In 1960, in conjunction with Sports Novelties, Leaf Inc. produced a nice set of 144 cards. Since Topps had the rights to selling baseball cards with gum, Leaf inserted a marble with their cards. The cards were B&W and featured two series of 72 cards each. The first series is much easier to find than the second series. It looks like the cards in the first series used many of the same photos that were used for the Jays photo packs from that era. There are also several variations in the set, but none of them involve the Orioles.

1960 Leaf Box

1960-Leaf-Baseball-unopened-box.jpg

The Orioles set included Brooks Robinson and Hoyt Wilhelm in the first series, so Brooks isn't too hard to find. Six of the eleven Orioles from the set were in the second series, making putting the team set together a little bit of a challenge.

1960 Leaf #1.jpg 1960 Leaf #2.JPG
Old 10-18-2020, 08:14 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Day 292 (October 18, 2020 – 292)

Sports Illustre October 1971

Attachment 422460
Mark,

That's a nice Sports Illustre example. I think it's actually from 1970. Mike Cuellar was also featured the next week, on the Oct 25th issue. Unfortunately, both my copy of the Cuellar issue and the Fleetwood 8 track tape are back in Maine. If I can find any pics online, I'll post them in the future. I don't have that 1971 season ticket brochure, but love that kind of stuff.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:14 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

That's a nice Sports Illustre example. I think it's actually from 1970. Mike Cuellar was also featured the next week, on the Oct 25th issue. Unfortunately, both my copy of the Cuellar issue and the Fleetwood 8 track tape are back in Maine. If I can find any pics online, I'll post them in the future. I don't have that 1971 season ticket brochure, but love that kind of stuff.
Yeah, I messed up on the year for some unknown reason.

You needed to move your entire collection with you...
Old 10-18-2020, 04:40 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

What was the relationship between the Robinson brothers, Brooks and Frank, like? Did they have a close friendship or was it just a basic 'business as usual' set-up?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:52 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
What was the relationship between the Robinson brothers, Brooks and Frank, like? Did they have a close friendship or was it just a basic 'business as usual' set-up?
Brooks and Frank became close friends; not only them, but their families as well.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:03 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 293 (October 19, 2020 – 293)

This is a small color photo of Brooks, 5”x5” in size, taken by photographer Michael Grossbardt in 1971. To me this photo captures the essence of Brooks at home at third.

Day 293 a Photo 1971 Michael Grossbardt Color 5x5.jpg

Today I’ll picture another photo from 1971, but this time B&W, taken by Jay Spencer. Sure, looks like Brooks is having fun snagging some grounders.

Day 293 b Photo 1971 Jay Spencer Feb 25.jpg
Old 10-19-2020, 08:39 AM
Alan Strout

Default Asheville Orioles

Asheville, NC was home to the Orioles AA affiliate from 1972-1975. The 1972 team was featured in post #1257, so I thought today would be a good day to discuss the other three years.

The 1973 and 1974 Asheville Orioles were managed by Cal Ripken Sr. The 1973 team finished 71-69 and followed up in 1974 with a record of 70-67.

1973 Asheville program

1973 Asheville Orioles.jpg

1974 Asheville program

1974 Asheville Orioles.jpg

The 1975 Orioles were managed by Jimmie Schaffer and finished a disappointing 63-75.

1975 Asheville program

1975 Asheville Orioles.jpg

Over that period, several future Orioles stars passed through Asheville. They included Eddie Murray, Rich Dauer, Dennis Martinez and Mike Flanagan. A few others included Bob Bailor, Larry Harlow, Dave Skaggs, and Kiko Garcia. Here are photos of a couple that played for Asheville, that you might not remember in Baltimore.

John Flinn, Willie Royster and Mike Parrott

Flinn, John 1 - Copy.jpg Royster, Willie 1 - Copy.jpg Mel Bailey 47 - Copy.JPG
Old 10-20-2020, 05:57 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 294 (October 20, 2020 – 294)

It’s likely well known here, by this group, but I’ll mention it anyway just in case. The 1964 Topps Venezuelan cards, and all the Venezuelan cards for that matter, were produced for the Latin American market and paralleled the regular Topps set, but were a smaller set. In 1964 the main difference from the Topps regular issue is that the backs of the Venezuela cards were black not orange in color. As you see mine is a bit rough, but a cool card just the same.

1964 Topps Venezuelan #230

Day 294 a 1964 Venz Topps front.jpg
Day 294 b 1964 Venz Topps back.jpg
Old 10-20-2020, 07:37 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1958 Knoxville Smokies

The Knoxville Smokies were the Orioles Class A affiliate in the South Atlantic League in 1957-58. Post #981 discussed the 1957 team. Here is a little about the 1958 team. They finished 67-73 and were again managed by future O's coach George Staller. The Smokies averaged a little over 900 fans per game.

Staller, George 3 - Copy.jpg

1958 Program

1958 Knoxville Smokies.jpg

In addition to George Staller, a bunch of players players spent time with the Orioles. They included Jerry Walker, Leo Burke, Ron Hansen, Chuck Estrada, Jack Fisher, Dave Nicholson, and Angelo Dagres. Hard throwing Steve Dalkowski was also on the team.

Here are a couple others from the team. Sundin, Papa and Zupo appeared briefly in Baltimore.

Gordon Sundin, John Papa, Frank Zupo, Al Nagel and Al Barth

Sundin, Gordon 1 - Copy.jpg Papa, John 1 - Copy.jpg Zupo, Frank (1961 Rochester Red Wings) - Copy.jpg Nagel, Al 1 - Copy.jpg Barth, Al 1 - Copy.jpg

Although, Al Barth never made it to the majors, he had an interesting career. Barth was a two way player, finishing his minor league career, as a pitcher, with a record of 15-10 in 63 games. He also played 3B and OF. In 776 games and over 3000 plate appearances, he batted .274 and hit 130 HRs.

Additional Note: Frank Zupo is another member of my all Unibrow team.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:56 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Day 294 (October 20, 2020 – 294)

It’s likely well known here, by this group, but I’ll mention it anyway just in case. The 1964 Topps Venezuelan cards, and all the Venezuelan cards for that matter, were produced for the Latin American market and paralleled the regular Topps set, but were a smaller set. In 1964 the main difference from the Topps regular issue is that the backs of the Venezuela cards were black not orange in color.
Mark,

I love the Venezuelan cards. After finishing my Orioles regular Topps team sets, I'm enjoying the challenge of putting together the O-Pee-Chee (Canadian) and Venezuelan sets. Condition is a real issue with the Venezuelan cards. Since I'm looking for decent looking cards, without paper loss, creases, etc., at the right price point, my journey has been slow.

I'm one card short on the 1964 set, missing #145 Norm Siebern.

1964 Topps Venezuelan #1.jpg 1964 Topps Venezuelan #2.jpg
Old 10-20-2020, 11:43 AM
Mike Magee

Default 1984 Orioles Japan Fan Handbook

Good afternoon,

Several items from the 1984 Orioles tour of Japan have been posted before but I don't believe this one has. It's a 1984 Japan Fan Handbook with an article on the Orioles tour.

Front:

1984 Japan Fan Handbook- front.jpg

Inside:

1984 Japan Fan Handbook- Orioles.jpg

Back:

1984 Japan Fan Handbook- back.jpg
Old 10-21-2020, 05:33 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

I love the Venezuelan cards. After finishing my Orioles regular Topps team sets, I'm enjoying the challenge of putting together the O-Pee-Chee (Canadian) and Venezuelan sets. Condition is a real issue with the Venezuelan cards. Since I'm looking for decent looking cards, without paper loss, creases, etc., at the right price point, my journey has been slow.

I'm one card short on the 1964 set, missing #145 Norm Siebern.
Alan,

Yours look to be in very nice shape for the issue. I probably started late collecting the Venz cards since I didn't know much about them when I first started collecting.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:37 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good afternoon,

Several items from the 1984 Orioles tour of Japan have been posted before but I don't believe this one has. It's a 1984 Japan Fan Handbook with an article on the Orioles tour
I assume this is not a foreign magazine since it's written in English.

By the way who are the US of A players pictured on the front cover?
Old 10-21-2020, 05:44 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 295 (October 21, 2020 – 295)

Man, I loved the 1970 Topps Brooks Robinson card #230 when it first came out and you know what, I still do. It’s just a great looking design setup and the shot of Brooks posed in a batting stance couldn’t be better. Some people aren’t a fan of the grey (for you different people,” gray”), but I think it looks great and out of the norm for baseball cards.

You’re probably well aware by now that I don’t really post many normal cards of Brooks so let’s not change it up today.

1970 Topps Brooks Robinson #230 blank backed

Day 295 a 1970 Topps #230 blank back.jpg
Day 295 b 1970 Topps #230 blank back back.jpg

This is the transparency used to create the 1970 Topps #230 card.

Day 295 c 1970 Topps #230 Transparency.jpg

Also, the small transparency wallet that the transparency was originally
stored.

Day 295 d 1970 Topps #230 Transparency Wallet.jpg
Old 10-21-2020, 08:05 AM
Alan Strout

Default Venezuelan Cards

Quote:
Alan,

Yours look to be in very nice shape for the issue. I probably started late collecting the Venz cards since I didn't know much about them when I first started collecting.
Thanks Mark. I'm putting my Venezuelan Orioles team sets together very slowly, looking for the right combination of condition and price point. I'm looking for cards without paper loss, decent corners and eye appeal. Luckily, the Venezuelan sets are smaller than the regular Topps sets.

Here are my 1966 and 1967 sets so far. Still looking for a Jim Palmer rookie that fits my criteria...

1966 Topps Venezuelan Orioles set (minus Blair, Aparicio and Palmer)

1966 Topps Venezuelan #1.jpg 1966 Topps Venezuelan #2.jpg

1967 Topps Venezuelan Orioles set (minus McNally)

1967 Topps Venezuelan #1.jpg 1967 Topps Venezuelan #2.jpg
Old 10-22-2020, 05:00 AM
Mike Magee

Quote:
I assume this is not a foreign magazine since it's written in English.

By the way who are the US of A players pictured on the front cover?
Good morning Mark,

According to the information on the inside cover, this was an English-language magazine printed and distributed in Japan.

The two American players are Leon Lee and Bump Wills.

1984 Japan Fan Handbook- Inside cover.jpg
Old 10-22-2020, 05:29 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Thanks Mark. I'm putting my Venezuelan Orioles team sets together very slowly, looking for the right combination of condition and price point. I'm looking for cards without paper loss, decent corners and eye appeal. Luckily, the Venezuelan sets are smaller than the regular Topps sets.

Here are my 1966 and 1967 sets so far. Still looking for a Jim Palmer rookie that fits my criteria...

1966 Topps Venezuelan Orioles set (minus Blair, Aparicio and Palmer)

1967 Topps Venezuelan Orioles set (minus McNally)
Alan,

Those are AWESOME!
Old 10-22-2020, 05:31 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good morning Mark,

According to the information on the inside cover, this was an English-language magazine printed and distributed in Japan.

The two American players are Leon Lee and Bump Wills.

Attachment 423036
Morning...

That's even cooler; a Japanese magazine that I can read! Appreciate the clarification (at least for me). That's a great looking publication.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:33 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 296 (October 22, 2020 – 296)

Brooks Robinson Sculpture Dedication Ceremony on October 22, 2011.

Day 296 a.jpg
Day 296 b.jpg
Old 10-22-2020, 08:27 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mark:

I need to get one of those dedication programs.....A week later I was in town for a Ravens game & took this photo:

Old 10-22-2020, 08:41 AM
Alan Strout

Default Names the Same

I know Mark loves these types of posts.

Have you ever wondered "What's the most common name in Orioles history?"
Probably not. Today I would like to explore players, to appear with the Orioles, that shared the same name.

A couple that come to mind are fairly easy -

Cal Ripken Jr & Cal Ripken Sr and Tim Raines Jr & Tim Raines Sr

Ripkens 1 - Copy.JPG Raines, Tim Jr & Sr 1 - Copy.jpg

Here are a few others you might have forgot about...

Can you identify these players? (answer at the end)

Dave Johnson, Davey Johnson and David Johnson
Jose Bautista (the pitcher) and Jose Bautista (the outfielder)
Tommy Davis (the catcher) and Tommy Davis (the DH)
Alberto Castillo (the catcher) and Alberto Castillo (the pitcher)
John O'Donoghue Jr and John O'Donoghue Sr
Dwight Smith Jr and Dwight Smith Sr

Pictures # 1-3

Davis, Tommy (C) 2 - Copy.JPG Bautista, Jose (P) 1 - Copy.jpg Johnson, Dave 1 - Copy.jpg

Pictures # 4-6

Castillo, Alberto (P) 1 - Copy.jpg O'Donoghue, John Jr 1 - Copy.jpg Smith, Dwight 1 - Copy.jpg

Pictures #7-9

Johnson, David.jpg Copy of Castillo, Alberto (C) 1.jpg Davis, Tommy 3 - Copy.jpg

Pictures #10-12

Johnson, Davey 2 - Copy.jpgBautista, Jose (OF) 1 - Copy.jpg O'Donoghue, John Sr 3 - Copy.jpg

Picture #13

Smith, Dwight Jr 1 - Copy.JPG

Honorable mention goes to Mike (Texas) Smith and Mike (Mississippi) Smith, both pitchers. Unfortunately, only Texas Mike made it to the majors with the Orioles.

Here's the answer key

#1 Tommy Davis (the catcher)
#2 Jose Bautista (the pitcher)
#3 Dave Johnson
#4 Alberto Castillo (the pitcher)
#5 John O'Donoghue Jr
#6 Dwight Smith Sr
#7 David Johnson
#8 Alberto Castillo (the catcher)
#9 Tommy Davis (the DH)
#10 Davey Johnson
#11 Jose Bautista (the outfielder)
#12 John O'Donoghue Sr
#13 Dwight Smith Jr
Old 10-22-2020, 08:50 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Mark:

I need to get one of those dedication programs.....A week later I was in town for a Ravens game & took this photo:

Here's a nice bobblehead from Custom Made Figurines

2011 Brooks Robinson (Custom Made FigurinesGold Glove).jpg
Old 10-22-2020, 09:31 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I remember the saga of both Mike Smith's...They were both pitchers and were in Spring Training in 1989...To avoid confusion the Orioles nicknamed one "Texas" Mike the other "Mississippi" Mike....They also screened silhouettes of the states on the back of their jerseys....

As things worked out only "Texas" Mike pitched for the Orioles during the regular season while "Mississippi" Mike ended up in Pittsburgh...

I met "Texas" Mike at the 1990 Fan Fest and asked him to inscribe the photo:

Old 10-23-2020, 06:14 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
I know Mark loves these types of posts.

Have you ever wondered "What's the most common name in Orioles history?"
Probably not. Today I would like to explore players, to appear with the Orioles, that shared the same name.
Alan,

Ha! Yes; I’ve learned that I really don’t know too much about about Orioles history which I “thought” I did beforehand. I’m learning, I’m learning...

Last edited by Mark70Z; 10-23-2020 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:01 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 297 (October 23, 2020 – 297)

I know this Japanese magazine has been pictured before, but it doesn't hurt to repeat on cool publications.

Japanese Magazine – Brooks and Shigeo Nagashima

Day 297 Publication 1971 Japan.jpg

I didn't think I had any Japanese tickets from the Tour of Japan, but I do have ONE...

Tour of Japan ticket

Day 297 Ticket Japan.jpg
Old 10-23-2020, 10:33 AM
Clint

That’s a great shot of Brooks on that mag cover Mark! Not sure why but Palmer hasn’t got much love on this thread. Great rendition of him on that ticket.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:34 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
That’s a great shot of Brooks on that mag cover Mark! Not sure why but Palmer hasn’t got much love on this thread. Great rendition of him on that ticket.
Clint,

I love the Japan tour stuff as well. Really cool stuff.

Here are a couple Jim Palmer items for you.

1995 SAM Bobblehead and 1971 Baltimore Sun Newspaper Poster

1995 Jim Palmer (SAM).jpg 1971 Baltimore Sun Newspaper Poster #11 (Jim Palmer).jpg

1984 Hand-Painted Baseball and 1984 SportsFirst Newspaper Poster

1984 Roberta Howard Hand Painted Baseball (Jim Palmer).JPG 1984 SportsFirst Poster 10x12 (Jim Palmer).jpg

1976 English's Chicken Lid

1976 Englsh Lids (LargeJim Palmer).JPG

1971 Japan Tour Program

1971 Japan Tour (Program #1).jpg
Old 10-23-2020, 04:24 PM
Clint

You really came out strong with those Palmer items Alan. That newspaper poster is one of if not the best looking one of the set.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:04 PM

Here is a brochure I picked up sometime back in the late 70's / early 80's for Harrison's Chesapeake House featuring a picture of Brooks Robinson fishing along with a testimonial - "When I think of fishing I always head for Harrison's"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harrison's - Brooks Robinson.jpg (81.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Harrison's - Brooks Robinson Front.jpg (75.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Harrison's - Brooks Robinson Back.jpg (76.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 10-23-2020, 06:03 PM

Love the Palmer chicken lid! That’s a hard to find Palmer item ! Scott
Old 10-24-2020, 05:31 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleerfan View Post
Here is a brochure I picked up sometime back in the late 70's / early 80's for Harrison's Chesapeake House featuring a picture of Brooks Robinson fishing along with a testimonial - "When I think of fishing I always head for Harrison's"
I think I've seen that picture of Brooks before (or very similar), but haven't seen the pamphlet. Very neat...
Old 10-24-2020, 05:34 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Clint,

I love the Japan tour stuff as well. Really cool stuff.

Here are a couple Jim Palmer items for you.

1995 SAM Bobblehead and 1971 Baltimore Sun Newspaper Poster

Attachment 423238 Attachment 423239

1984 Hand-Painted Baseball and 1984 SportsFirst Newspaper Poster

Attachment 423242 Attachment 423241

1976 English's Chicken Lid

Attachment 423240

1971 Japan Tour Program

Attachment 423243
Great looking Palmer items. I especially like the Japan Tour Program.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:35 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 298 (October 24, 2020 – 298)

Man, the 1971 Topps set is one of my favorites when they have clean black boarders. Of course, not many of mine are nice, all chipped up, but the 1971 Topps Brooks Robinson card (NO…He’s not striking out; he fouled it off) is a favorite like many of the other regular issue Brooks cards. The following is a match print photo used in the production of the ’71 card:

1971 Topps #300 Match Print Photo

Day 298 1971 Topps Match Print Photo.jpg
Old 10-24-2020, 07:31 AM
Alan Strout

Here are a couple items that have been discussed and posted in several other threads on Net54 and other sites, but I felt they deserved another look, because they are so nice looking. If you can keep them clean from chipping, black borders on cards rule....

1971 Topps Greatest Moments

1971 Topps Greatest Moments.jpg

Unknown Pins from the 1970-1971 era

1971 Unknown Pins.JPG
Old 10-24-2020, 08:07 AM
Clint

Damn Alan those are fantastic! One day I’ll get the greatest moments card and I still need the Frank Robinson button to complete my set. Those buttons are easily my favorite Orioles buttons.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:34 AM
Bill H@e1ig

1970's Jim Palmer hand painted locker nameplate from Milwaukee's County Stadium:

Old 10-24-2020, 05:31 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here are a couple items that have been discussed and posted in several other threads on Net54 and other sites, but I felt they deserved another look, because they are so nice looking. If you can keep them clean from chipping, black borders on cards rule....

1971 Topps Greatest Moments

Attachment 423354

Unknown Pins from the 1970-1971 era

Attachment 423355
The Greatest Moments and the Orioles Pinbacks; awesome items!! Those pin examples are favorites.