NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2021, 09:56 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Identifying Japanese Bromides (Starffin, Kawakami et al)

I recently picked up an old Japanese notebook full of bromide baseball cards. For anyone not familiar with the term, bromides (named after the photographic process) are photographic baseball cards produces mainly from the mid-40s to the early 50s (although there are a few earlier sets and a few later). Most that I've come across are black and white or sepia but a very few are also hand-colored.

This notebook has roughly 250 bromide baseball cards glued to its pages by what appears to be a loving collector. The vast majority of bromides are blank backed and gluing them to pages was a common practice. My new project is to try to identify all of the cards in this album, which is a daunting prospect, as many bromide sets are uncatalogued. Anyway, here is the notebook cover and, in the second post, the first page of cards. I'll be working through the album page by page and would welcome any help with identification. Also, I'd love to see similar bromide cards if anyone cares to share.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide album cover.jpg (78.3 KB, 453 views)
Old 09-19-2021, 10:05 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

The first page from the album.

The cards on top row right and and the middle row center and right all appear to be Victor Starffin. The middle row right card image looks like it is from 1946 as the uniform he is wearing a Pacific Baseball Club uniform and the team would change its name to the Taiyo Robins in 1947. I've seen a couple of other bromides with this same image (listed at auction as 1947 uncatalogued, suggesting 1946 is correct for the image), but not this exact card with the baseball glove in the lower left.

The upper right card is likely from 1948. Starffin moved to the Stars in 1948 and this uniform was only used by the team in 1947 and 1948. The upper left card is a little harder to read, but I think it reads "Naito," in which case it is probably Kozo Naito (see bottom right card, below).

If I am translating correctly (a totally new activity for me), the bottom left cards is Isegawa, also of Pacific. Could that be Masumi Isekawa instead? If so, the image would be from 1946, the only year he played for that team. The bottom center card reads "Shigematsu" (again only if I am correct), which I guess must be Michio Shigematsu who played from 1936-50 but only for the stars in 1947. Bottom right also looks like a card from the Stars. The name looks like "Naito." If that's the case, then probably the pitcher Kozo Naito, who played from 1936-51. The card is likely from 1946-48, his tenure on Gold Star and then the Stars. I'll try to research the uniform to get an exact year.

Will work on identifying the other cards and follow up as soon as I have some progress....

Naito - Starffin 1948
Mitomi? - Starffin - Starffin 1946
Isekawa 1947 - Shigematsu 1947 - Naito

(the dates above are for the images, not the issue...hoping to narrow down the sets based on image dates)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 1.jpg (81.1 KB, 432 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 10-05-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:39 AM
Jamie

I would suggest looking at Prestige Collectibles (who is a member here) and also his auction site. I suspect you may be able cross reference some pictures with it.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:37 PM
David McDonald

Robert Klevens of Prestige Auctions is a walking encyclopedia of Japanese baseball. Speaks the language which has to help immensely. I have acquired dozens of funky items from him over the years. His table at the National is always a must for me. He's also authored a couple of reference books on the subject which might be helpful. He's a super-nice guy to boot. Good luck with your efforts.

Here's a couple of bromides I have plus a few of the aforementioned funky items.

Mayhem on the basepath, 1930s menko

Shonen premium Kaoru Betto

Last edited by Kawika; 09-19-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:04 PM

Getting a .pdf copy of the Engel Vintage Guide 2.1 will be essential. Prestige Collectibles sells them.

The bromides are the most difficult Japanese cards to identify. Many, many sets are uncatalogued. Figuring our which of your cards are catalogued is also difficult. The card measurements are important, but difficult to work with because Engel provides the measurements only in inches, with most of them fractioned. The cards were usually produced by rounded centimeters (I wish Engel would change this). Also, the Google Translate phone app is usually good for using your phone camera to decipher the text on cards, but many of the bromides use handwritten characters (rather than typed), have very small print, and have black print on very dark backgrounds, making the app useless.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Last edited by LazyMF; 09-19-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:02 PM
Todd Schultz

Starffin is pretty recognizable, and his follow-through pose was popular. Here's one of mine:
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:44 PM
Robert Klevens

That looks like a great collection of cards. It seems that you have the correct names listed. There are three Starffin cards on that page. If you have larger scans I could read the other names.

Identifying which set they come from is quite a task. There are many bromides not listed in Gary's guide. Also there are many bromides that look similar, but the size or text could be different making it difficult to figure what set they belong to.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:55 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Thanks for all the feedback!

LazyMF I have the Engel's checklist. And you are right, it is indispensable. Still, so many bromide sets aren't in there and, even those that are, are a challenge for me to identify sometimes. But that's what makes it interesting....

Robert, thanks for offering your help. Here are better pics (hopefully) of the three players I'm least sure of. The first I simply don't know. The second I think is Shigematsu and the third Naito but am not sure.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bromide page 1 CL.jpg (77.0 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg bromide page 1 BC.jpg (77.5 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg bromide page 1 TL.jpg (78.0 KB, 370 views)
Old 09-20-2021, 09:05 AM
Robert Klevens

I think they are all from 1947
Tsuneo Mitomi 三富恒雄 - Stars
Michio Shigematsu 重松通雄 - Stars
Kozo Naito 内藤幸三 - Stars
Old 09-20-2021, 09:11 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
I think they are all from 1947
Tsuneo Mitomi 三富恒雄 - Stars
Michio Shigematsu 重松通雄 - Stars
Kozo Naito 内藤幸三 - Stars
Thank you! The person who saved the cards pasted them in largely according to teams, so that definitely helps me in identifying them. Of course, the Giants make up half the album, but those are at the end....
Old 09-20-2021, 10:29 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Page 2 is a little tougher (for me). The upper right card is Kozo Naito on the team Gold Star. Gold Star was one of the early post-war teams, founded in 1946. In fact, 1946 was the only season the team was known as Gold Star, as it subsequently became the Kinsei Stars and eventually Daiei Stars.

The other cards are tougher for me to identify, as I'm having a hard time with the names. I've attached some closeups in case Robert or anyone else is kind enough to translate for me.

Thanks!

Iijima - Naito
Kiyohara - Iijima
Kiyohara - Kumagami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 2.jpg (81.4 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide Page 2 TL.jpg (77.7 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 2 CL.jpg (76.2 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 2 BL.jpg (76.1 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 2 BR.jpg (76.2 KB, 359 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 10-05-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:51 AM
Robert Klevens

Top row:
Takehiko Kumagami (熊耳武彦) and Kozo Naito (内藤幸三)

Middle row:
Hatsuo Kiyohara (清原初男) and Shigeya Iijima (飯島滋弥)

Bottom row:
Hatsuo Kiyohara (清原初男) and Takehiko Kumagami (熊耳武彦)
Old 09-20-2021, 01:22 PM

I don't have anything to add, but those are wonderful bromides. I especially like the flyers card with the embellishments.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:03 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 3

Thanks, Nat. I really like that one, too. There are a few similar ones later on in the collection. Someone really put together a nice bromide album and I was just lucky enough to find it.

And thank you, Robert, as always! It would have taken me weeks at least to figure those out!

Page 3 of the album sports a couple of really cool cards. The upper left card is the only card I've ever seen of the 1946 Gold Star team (the only year the team had that name), bromide or menko. I'm sure there are others but not that I've come across. Next to that is what looks like the 1948 Kinsei Stars team card (although possibly 1947...I am researching uniforms now).

The center card looks like Sadayohi Fujimoto in his role as Stars manager in 1948.

The other four cards are a mystery to me. The far right cards in the center and bottom rows are the same player, but I don't recognize the spelling of his name (I read Shimosha, but that doesn't seem right). The left cards on those same rows have no name listed. They might remain a mystery unless someone recognizes the players anyway....

Kinsei Stars (Goldstar image) 1947 - Kinsei team
S. Fujimoto - Shimoyashiro
Kato - Shimoyashiro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3.jpg (80.4 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 MR.jpg (75.1 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 BR.jpg (74.7 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 ML.jpg (77.8 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 BL.jpg (78.0 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 10-05-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:32 AM
Robert Klevens

The team in the upper left says Kinsei Stars 金星スターズ and the one to the write just says 金星 Kinsei.
1946 Gold Star was written in katakana as ゴールドスター

The card in the middle is HOF manager Sadayoshi Fujimoto. The player with two cards is Kunio Shimoyashiro 下社邦男. He played for the Stars only in 1948.

I don't know who the other two players are.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:05 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
The team in the upper left says Kinsei Stars 金星スターズ and the one to the write just says 金星 Kinsei.
1946 Gold Star was written in katakana as ゴールドスター

The card in the middle is HOF manager Sadayoshi Fujimoto. The player with two cards is Kunio Shimoyashiro 下社邦男. He played for the Stars only in 1948.
Robert, Thank you!!!

That is interesting about Gold Star only being written in katakana. 金 always throws me a little, as it makes me think of gold. I took my guess based on the uniforms and particularly the caps, which looked like the 1946 ones to me (more detailed photos attached, just for fun). But I'm glad to have better info now.

And I wasn't familiar with Shimoyashiro. Shimosha was close, but not that close....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 Team 1.jpg (75.3 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 team 2.jpg (80.3 KB, 322 views)
Old 09-21-2021, 11:38 AM
David McDonald

Any chance your guy is Kaoru Betto?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 BL.jpg (78.0 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Prestige 1950 Maramatsu Kaoru Betto.jpg (77.7 KB, 332 views)
Old 09-21-2021, 02:03 PM
Robert Klevens

I asked Gary about this card and he had one. The player is Shoji Kato 加藤正二
of Chubu Nippon Dragons. from the 1947 JBR36 set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_2021-09-21_15-52-35.jpg (49.1 KB, 313 views)
Old 09-21-2021, 04:21 PM
Gary Engel

Great purchase! I sometimes have difficulty finding cards in my own guide. It's not easy. I sympathize with everyone's frustration over all the bromide sets that haven't made it into the guide yet. I have over 100 partial bromide sets in my collection for which I don't yet have enough examples for inclusion. The good news is that there will be more than a dozen newly entered bromide sets in Version 3.0, which I hope to publish next summer.

Most of the cards that you have pictured in this thread seem to be from JBR 36, JBR 73, JBR 109, JBR 114, and a set produced by Marusaka in 1947 similar to their 1948 JBR 19 set, and which will be included in the next guide edition. Of course there are a few cards that you pictured which remain uncatalogued.

I'm glad to see so much recent interest in Vintage Japanese cards. I will continue to publish new editions of the guide as long as people remain interested.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:24 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 4

Quote:
I asked Gary about this card and he had one. The player is Shoji Kato 加藤正二
of Chubu Nippon Dragons. from the 1947 JBR36 set.
Thanks, again! With the trimmed card from the album alone, I never would have gotten it.

Page 4 is an interesting one, too, focused on the Chunichi Dragons and their predecessor Chubu Nippon. Dating the images (if not the cards themselves) is a bit simpler, as the Dragons changed uniforms every year or two during this period. The top right bromide shows the Dragons team picture from 1948 (the only year they wore this uniform if my research is correct).

Most of the page is cards or Hideo Shimizu, one of the team's top pitchers. There are either four or five of them, as one (bottom left) is unlabeled but I believe it is him, in a number of different uniforms, mostly the Chubu Nippon one worn in 1946 and 1947. I'm posting a close up of an interesting design.

The bottom right card appears to be Tsugihiro Hattori, another of the team's pitchers.

The bottom center player is a mystery to me. Obviously, he played for Chubu Nippon in either 1946 or 1947. Any ideas?

Shimizu - Dragons team
Shimizu - Shimizu - Shimizu
? - Kanbayashi - Hattori
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 4.jpg (82.1 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 4 shimizu.jpg (78.9 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 4 BC.jpg (77.1 KB, 319 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 10-05-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:32 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanbb View Post
Great purchase! I sometimes have difficulty finding cards in my own guide. It's not easy. I sympathize with everyone's frustration over all the bromide sets that haven't made it into the guide yet. I have over 100 partial bromide sets in my collection for which I don't yet have enough examples for inclusion. The good news is that there will be more than a dozen newly entered bromide sets in Version 3.0, which I hope to publish next summer.

Most of the cards that you have pictured in this thread seem to be from JBR 36, JBR 73, JBR 109, JBR 114, and a set produced by Marusaka in 1947 similar to their 1948 JBR 19 set, and which will be included in the next guide edition. Of course there are a few cards that you pictured which remain uncatalogued.

I'm glad to see so much recent interest in Vintage Japanese cards. I will continue to publish new editions of the guide as long as people remain interested.
Thanks, Gary! I'm just getting into bromides and really enjoying it. While I started with menko and find their designs more interesting, there is an austere beauty to the bromide cards.

Anyway, your guide must be a real labor of love. I have dozens of obscure menko (and an unknown number of bromides) that aren't catalogued yet, though you are probably aware of most of them. I can only imagine how many cards and images you have in your files waiting for a given set to have enough specimens for inclusion in a future checklist....
Old 09-21-2021, 04:55 PM
Robert Klevens

This is Shigejiro Kanbayashi 上林繁次郎 He joined the Dragons in 1947.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 4 BC.jpg (77.1 KB, 312 views)
Old 09-21-2021, 11:16 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 5

Quote:
This is Shigejiro Kanbayashi 上林繁次郎 He joined the Dragons in 1947.
Ah, thank you! That makes sense.

The next page starts with four different bromides of Michio Nishizawa, who I've always liked a great deal, at least from everything I've read. Below that to the right is a nice action shot of Kiyoshi Sugiura throwing back the bat. This is probably from the 1947 or 1948 season, so either his second or third as a pro.

Two of the three remaining cards are, I believe, Tsubouchi at bat. The last looks like his teammate (#33) but I don't know who that is.

Two of these last bromides are very small (1.5" x 1").

Nishizawa - Nishizawa
Nishizawa - Nishizawa
Sugiura - Sugiura
Sugiyama RC - Tsubouchi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 5 large.jpg (81.1 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 5 LML.jpg (73.8 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 5 BR.jpg (78.2 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 5 BL.jpg (78.5 KB, 307 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 10-05-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:09 PM

Hello Frank,

That is a fantastic collection! Japanese bromide cards are the most fascinating cards to research by far. Robert has done a great job helping you, and I have a couple of tidbits to throw in which may be of interest.

On page 1 the Pacific player is indeed catcher Masumi Isekawa. Since the card lists his team as the Robins the issuer was simply using a 1946 photo when the team was known as Pacific.

Page 2 The top row is Iijima - Naito; middle row is Kiyohara - Iijima; bottom row is Kiyohara - Kumagami. I think Robert made a typo on the top row.

Page 3, as Robert indicated, has 2 team cards one reading Kinsei Stars and the other Kinsei Team. The Stars photo has the 1946 Goldstar team picture, but the card has the name change to Kinsei thus making the card a 1947 issue.

Page 4 the bottom right player is Hattori as you noted. The bottom left player, however, cannot be Hideo Shimizu since he is right handed and Shimizu was a lefty.

Page 5- Only the bottom right card is Michinori Tsubouchi. He is with the Stars and the card says: "Stars Tsubouchi Batting Form". The card with player #30 indicates it is a game between the Dragons and the Hawks. Note that the card with player #33 has the same font used for the uniform number as #30, and they have the same hats and socks. The only team in Japan with a #30 & #33 in 1948 was the Dragons and #30 is Kiyoshi Sugiura (notice his trademark bat release similar to his other card) and #33 was rookie OF Satoru Sugiyama. In fact Sugiyama was the only #33 in all of Japanese baseball that year.

Hope that helps,

Jeff
Old 09-23-2021, 06:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is a great thread with some super cards in it. Thanks to all whom have shared.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is a great thread with some super cards in it. Thanks to all whom have shared.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:21 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alcorn View Post
That is a fantastic collection! Japanese bromide cards are the most fascinating cards to research by far. Robert has done a great job helping you, and I have a couple of tidbits to throw in which may be of interest....

Hope that helps,
Wow, thank you so much, Jeff! That is a huge help. I'm still fairly new to this but am doing my best to get up to speed and learn. In fact, learning about both mid-century Japanese baseball and about the bromide sets was my main motivation in purchasing this collection. I've purchased those resources I can find in English but they are scant. Japanese Baseball (Statistical Handbook) by Johnson, the books by Gary and Rob Fitts, and some visual guides to uniforms and caps. Otherwise, I just rely on searching the web and creative gymnastics with Google Translate and hope for the best. And Robert has been very generous with his knowledge, both on and off the forums. Without his help, I probably would have given up on Japanese baseball cards already.

Which brings us to page 6 of the album, which contains a mix of teams. The first card (top left) is a partial lineup of the Chubu Nippon team in what looks like their 1946 uniforms (suggesting a 1947 card?). If I am translating correctly, the players are (left to right) Fujimoto, Furukawa, Kanbayashi, Sugiura, and Tayori. I can't find any Tayori on the team roster so am probably mistranslating this one.

The top right card appears to be Michinori Tsubouchi at the end of his swing. He is in a Stars rather than Gold Star uniform, so the image is probably from the 1947 season (and thus a 1948 bromide...total guess).

The center row of cards contain no identifying text and I am not confident enough to identify the players by faces alone. If anyone knows who these players are, please do let me know!

The bottom left bromide is Tsuneo Mitomi in what looks like a 1946 uniform so probably a 1947 card (as most of the cards in this album appear to be). And the bottom right cards is a player I don't recognize at all. My best efforts with google come up with Okunai as a last name, but I can't find him on any rosters so I probably have it wrong.

Just a note: At the moment I am working on identifying all of the players in the album and trying to figure out the year of the images in hopes of later determining the specific sets. The next stage will be to measure all of the cards and make an effort to identify all of the individual issues. In the meantime, if anyone knows what set a particular card comes from, please feel free to let me know...I'm sure it will help guide me in the next stage. Thanks!

Chubu (Fujimoto, Furakawa, Kanbayashi, Sugiura) - Tsubouchi
? - Tsubouchi and ?
Mitomi - Tsuchiya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 smaller.jpg (79.2 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 ML.jpg (77.4 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 MR.jpg (74.7 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 BR.jpg (73.0 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 10-05-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:46 AM
Robert Klevens

You had the correct names for the team bromide however the last one is 右より which means "from the right", so it's not a player's name.

The player pictured here is Tooru Tsuchiya 土屋亨 the 土 character is cutoff. 内墅手 means infielder. 墅 is an older kanji character for 野
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 BR.jpg (73.0 KB, 265 views)
Old 09-23-2021, 11:06 AM
Robert Klevens

This player looks like Tsubouchi to me, however I can't identify the players in the action shot.

Also Jeff was correct I made a mistake. Page 2 top row is Iijima and Naito
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tsubouchi.jpg (78.2 KB, 266 views)
Old 09-23-2021, 12:24 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Thanks for both of the IDs, Robert!

Quote:
The player pictured here is Tooru Tsuchiya 土屋亨 the 土 character is cutoff. 内墅手 means infielder. 墅 is an older kanji character for 野
And thank you for this. Working through the album is definitely familiarizing me with many more kanji characters and player names, but I don't think I would ever have figured that one out....
Old 09-23-2021, 06:11 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 7

Page 7

The top center and middle right cards look like Jiro Noguchi who may have been the Shohei Ohtani of the 1940s (or vice-versa). He was one of the top pitchers in the league (with a career ERA of 1.96) as well as an excellent hitter. The comparison breaks down there, as Noguchi almost never hit home runs…but his 31 game hitting streak stood as a record in Japan for 25 years. I also love the glasses. I believe both cards show images from 1946 (the season of his hitting streak) and are 1947 bromide issues. A little more research on uniforms is needed, as the 1946 Hankyu Club uniforms should be different than those of the later (1947 on) Hankyu Braves.

Seizo Furukawa (middle row center and bottom left cards) played for 17 seasons (and missed a couple due to the war). Before the war he played for Nagoya and immediately after, though the team became Chubu Nippon/Chunichi Dragons. In 1948 he moved to the Hankyu Braves where he spent his last dozen seasons. I believe both of these photos predate his move and so are probably 1947 issues.

Rounding out the album page is what I believe to be a 1947 bromide of Braves catcher Takeshi Hibino (top left card), Rentaro Imanishi (one of the Braves pitchers, top right), and Junji Nakatani (bottom right) in his 1946 Pacific team uniform (so likely an early 1947 bromide). Hibino played for 18 years, beginning in 1939, and lost an additional three seasons to the war.

The card in middle left doesn’t have any text and I’m not sure who this Braves player is. Does anyone recognize him?

I realize that mid-century Japanese bromides are a very small niche in the hobby. So I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to read this thread and especially those who have helped me along with their comments. Heck, I even appreciate that people who skip over the thread don’t feel the need to tell me how niche it really is….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 7 smaller.jpg (80.1 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 7 ML.jpg (75.5 KB, 250 views)
Old 09-24-2021, 12:23 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 8

Page 8

If there are any fans of long-time Braves pitcher Yoshio Tenbo, then you might enjoy this page. Assuming, that is, that I’ve done the identification correctly. Tenbo appears in four of the bromides (top center, middle left and right, bottom left). Interestingly, each of the same images (just with different cropping) are used in two different cards. I believe the darker uniforms are from the 1946 season. The lighter ones need more research.

The top right card has no text, so I’m not really sure. Does anyone recognize this image?

The other cards on the page appear to be a 1947 bromide of Furukawa (top left), Shinji Hamasaki who had a short career as a pitcher for the Braves in the center (someone please correct me if I’ve identified the player incorrectly), and a Braves player that my clumsy attempts with google translate show as Takeshi Akashi (bottom right) though I can find no record of a player with that name.

As always, and help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 8 smaller.jpg (80.8 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide Page 8 UR.jpg (76.5 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide Page 8 BR.jpg (72.9 KB, 258 views)
Old 09-24-2021, 10:40 PM

Hi Frank,

You are doing great work. It is nice to find another collector seriously interested in Japanese baseball!

You have 2 nice cards of Jiro Noguchi. There were 3 Noguchi brothers who played professionally- Jiro, Akira, & Noboru. Noboru was unfortunately killed in 1945 in the Philippines, one of 51 Japanese players killed in WW II.

You have encountered one of the banes of Japanese player research in Akashi- the dreaded name change. Akashi changed his first name to Koichi so that is why you could not find him. Often times it is the last name that is changed like Hawks HOF manager Kazuto Tsuruoka who was formally Kazuto Yamamoto.

I will try to see if I can come up with anything on those unidentified players and keep the photos coming.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-25-2021, 08:17 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 9

Quote:
You have encountered one of the banes of Japanese player research in Akashi- the dreaded name change. Akashi changed his first name to Koichi so that is why you could not find him. Often times it is the last name that is changed like Hawks HOF manager Kazuto Tsuruoka who was formally Kazuto Yamamoto.
Thanks, Jeff! I really appreciate it. And while I knew about the Tsuruoka change, I wasn't aware there were others. Now at least I know to stay open to that possibility.

The next page in the album (Page 9) is largely devoted to right-handed pitcher Juzo Sanada (who I’ve seen referred to elsewhere as Shigeo Sanada). As I work through this album, it is becoming apparent that the vast majority of the cards are 1947 bromide issues and some may be early in that year given that the photos chosen were from the 1946 season. That is the case here with Sanada, as well. The top center, top right, and middle left cards show him in his Pacific uniform from 1946. In the top left bromide, he is wearing the 1947 Robins uniform but the Pacific had from ’46. And in the bottom right, he is in full Robins attire.

If I am identifying them correctly, the bottom left and center cards appear to be first-baseman Isamu Fujii who had a very long playing career from 1936-1958 (several seasons missed for the war). After the war, he joined Pacific and stayed there as they became the Taiyo Robins.

The middle right card looks like Hiroshi Tsujii in his 1947 Robins uniform (with Pacific cap). And, rounding out the page, the center card seems to be of a pitcher named Watanabe. There was a Seitaro Watanabe who pitched for the Robins from 1948-1950, but Stats Crew shows him on the Osaka Tigers roster in 1946 and 1947, so this might be a different player (or a slightly later card…although it might be a little odd for him to be in the old-style cap in a later season).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 9 smaller.jpg (79.4 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 9 MR.jpg (73.6 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 9 UM.jpg (77.8 KB, 241 views)
Old 09-25-2021, 12:29 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 9 cont

I meant to post this closeup of the card I'm least certain about. Does Watanabe seem correct? Or am I totally off base?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 9 mm.jpg (70.9 KB, 238 views)
Old 09-26-2021, 08:46 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 10

I clearly have too much time on my hands this weekend. Here is Page 10 of the album. A bit of a puzzling page. There are more cards that I cannot clearly identify than cards I can.

Starting at the top left, the bromide shows Shigeyoshi Morishita in his 1946 Pacific season. This would be one of his rookie cards, and he was an outfielder and occasional pitcher for Pacific, then the Robins, and eventually the Kintetsu Pearls. In a bit of a mystery (to me) the left and center cards in the middle row also look like Morishita and the name of the left card reads “Mori” and the name on the center card os taped over. They both look like Flyers players and, even though Pacific would become the Flyers in 1947, I can’t find a record of Morishita (or anyone whose name stars with “Mori”) playing for the flyers in 1947…for that season, Morishita is listed as a Robins player.

The middle right bromide is the great Robins pitcher Juzo Sanada.

The top right picture is an unidentified Robin player. As is the only card on the bottom row. Does anyone recognize either of them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 10 smaller.jpg (79.8 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 10 ML.jpg (76.1 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 10 MM.jpg (74.3 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 10 TR.jpg (76.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 10 BR.jpg (77.4 KB, 226 views)
Old 09-27-2021, 03:10 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 11

Page 11 from the album. I am now one-third of the way through the regular bromides (there is a smaller prize card section in the back) and after this post will take a brief break to go back through the cards I've been unable to identify and give them another shot.

On this page...Giichiro Shiraki was a decent pitcher with a relatively short career (seven seasons: one with Pacific, five with Tokyu, and a last with Hankyu). I wouldn’t go on so much about Shiraki except that, after his baseball career, he went on to a successful career in politics. The entire top row, the center and right cards of the middle row, and the right card in the bottom row all depict Shiraki and appear to be from 1947.

The middle left and bottom center cards both appear to be of Shigeaki Kuroo, another Flyers pitcher, and the bottom left Fujiwara, all from 1947 as far as I can tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 11 smaller.jpg (80.3 KB, 216 views)
Old 09-27-2021, 05:48 PM

Frank - nothing to add other than congratulations on such a great album. This thread with research is outstanding!
Old 09-27-2021, 07:09 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman444 View Post
Frank - nothing to add other than congratulations on such a great album. This thread with research is outstanding!
Thanks. Exploring this album has been one of the most enjoyable projects I've undertaken in decades of collecting.

Okay, so through the first 11 pages, I'm down to 7 cards I just can't get a handle on. While I am getting decent with the player names of the era, identifying cards solely from the picture is still a bit outside my comfort zone....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 ML.jpg (77.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 4 BL.jpg (75.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 ML.jpg (77.4 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 7 ML.jpg (75.5 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide Page 8 UR.jpg (76.5 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 10 MM.jpg (74.3 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 10 TR.jpg (76.2 KB, 206 views)
Old 09-27-2021, 11:10 PM

Hi Frank,

Here are a few more notes for you: Pacific became the Robins not the Flyers. The Flyers former name was the Senators.

The pitcher in that group is Hirotaro Mori of the Hankyu Braves.

You are correct that the Robins P is Seitaro Watanabe on a 1948 card. There was no Watanabe on the Robins in 1947.

The bottom left P next to Shigeaki Kuroo should not be Fujiwara. The only Fujiwara in Japanese BB in 1947 or 1948 was Dragons C Tetsunosuke Fujiwara.

For the unknown players, I think the sliding player is HOF Makoto Kozuru of the Dragons. He was the only #32 in BB in 1947. He switched to #24 in 1948 when he went to the Flyers.

The Flyers player is HOF Hisanori Karita. The tape is covering the kanji for manager, and at the end of the line is second baseman. Karita was the Flyers Player-Manager in '47 & '48.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Old 09-27-2021, 11:46 PM

At least one more Frank-

The Robins player with his hands on his knees is Shigeyoshi Morishita I believe. I have a nice batting shot of him in a reference book and the face looks the same. I am not sure on these 2, but I think that the Stars RH could be Michio Shigematsu and the LH could be Tsuneo Mitomi. I have a couple of different shots that bear a resemblance for both, but I can't be absolutely sure on either one.

Jeff
Old 09-28-2021, 12:09 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much. You are very generous with your time.

And of course you are right...silly mistake on my part with Robins and Flyers. Sometimes as I'm writing from my notes I manage to confuse myself hopelessly.

Quote:
The bottom left P next to Shigeaki Kuroo should not be Fujiwara. The only Fujiwara in Japanese BB in 1947 or 1948 was Dragons C Tetsunosuke Fujiwara.
That is very interesting. So would it make sense that the bottom left picture (page 11) is then Tetsunosuke Fujiwara? It is a little hard to read but along the top margin of the card is printed:

中部 藤原

Thanks again!
Old 09-28-2021, 01:57 AM
Doug Goodman

What a great great thread this is. Thank you all.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:04 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 12

Well, my research break was shorter than planned thanks to Jeff's generous help. The knowledge lurking on this board never fails to impress me....

Page 12 of the album begins with some familiar faces from Page 11. In the upper left is Giichiro Shiraki along with (and this may be wrong as I am having a tough time reading it) Maeda, although embarrassingly I can’t find them on the same roster so am not sure of the year. Probably a dumb oversight on my part. [Thanks to Jeff, I now know this is again Hisanori Karita] To the right of that bromide are two cards of Shigeaki Kuroo on the Flyers.

The second row begins on the left with a player that reads (to me) as Minagawa, but I am not sure who that is. Any ideas? [Sadayuki Minagawa, shortstop 1948] To the upper center is a miniature card with no text (and as a result I have no idea!) and to the far upper right another card of Maeda? [Actually it is Hisanori Karita] Again, I find it hard to read. In the middle row below that are cards of Oshita and what I take to be Eikichi Nagamochi, a player I don’t come across often.

The bottom two cards are also Hiroshi Oshita, one of my favorite players. But I will have more on that for the next page in the album.

The bromides appear to be 1947 or 1948 issues (based on uniforms and the like), which is consistent with this album generally which I am guessing was put together by the original owner in late 1948 or 1949.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 12 smaller.jpg (80.7 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 12 UL.jpg (76.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 12 MM.jpg (64.0 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 12 MR.jpg (72.4 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 12 MBM.jpg (71.5 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 09-30-2021 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:25 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 13

Hiroshi Oshita is my favorite ballplayer from the early postwar period in Japan. He debuted on the Senators. And if the fact that one of the eight teams making up the 1946 Japanese Baseball League was named the Senators doesn’t speak volumes about the odd relationship between Japan and the US during the early postwar/occupation period, I don’t know what does. Anyway, in his rookie season he hit .281 and set a home run record (20). In 1949 he would go on to bat .305 with 38 home runs and a .626 slugging percentage.

He was hugely popular and famously used a blue-painted bat (the other great hitter of that period, Tetsuhara Kawakami, played with a red bat). He had a lifetime batting average of .303 and hit 201 home runs. His career statistics might have been even more impressive if he hadn’t missed a prime stretch of playing years as an officer in the war.

This thirteenth page of the album is made up of nine Oshita cards. Five of the bromides picture him in his dark 1946 Senators uniform and are clearly what I would deem rookie cards from 1947 bromide sets (although "rookie" cards in Japanese sets can be tricky to define). The other four cards picture him the Tokyu Flyers uniform, presumably from the 1947 season. There are two very distinctive cards on this page. The center card may be from the pretty rare 1947 Marutsu Small Photo Set (JBR 152), while the card in upper left of the page bears a great deal of similarity but is as far as I can tell yet uncatalogued.

Ironically (or sadly or coincidentally…I don’t know), this all time Flyer great was actually training as a kamikaze pilot when the war ended.

I've attached some closeups of cards that I don't see very often and strike me as attractive....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 13 smaller.jpg (80.6 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 13 UL.jpg (77.9 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 13 mm.jpg (74.1 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 13 MR.jpg (78.5 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 13 BR.jpg (78.4 KB, 193 views)
Old 09-28-2021, 01:56 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 14

Page 14 continues the album with some more Oshita cards and one cool card from the 1947 Marui Decorative set, I believe.

The non-Oshita card appears to be Flyer's player Eikichi Nagamochi. Sadly, I'm limited to books and research about Japanese baseball written in English. If I were younger or smarter, I would learn to read Japanese and expand my resources greatly. But for now all that I can find out about Nagamochi is that his twelve year career was entirely post-war (1946-57), starting with the Senators (which would become the Flyers and eventually the Fighters) and finishing with the Hiroshima Carp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 14 smaller.jpg (79.2 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 14 UL.jpg (75.2 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 14 mm.jpg (78.7 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 14 MR.jpg (75.9 KB, 186 views)
Old 09-29-2021, 01:28 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 15

The research chugs along….

Page 15 hosts the last two Oshita bromides (upper right and middle left). I particularly like the pose on the latter as it reminds me of one of the great American hitters but I can’t quite place it.

The rest of the page is composed of some of Oshita’s fellow Flyers. Given the rosters I could find for the Flyers, I suspect a number of these bromides are 1948 (most of the album seems to be 1947), as at least one of the players didn’t join the franchise until 1948. Three cards (upper left, bottom center, and bottom right) are marked Yoshie without any first name. Clearly the player is a pitcher so I’m assuming the card must be of Eishiro Yoshie, an obscure pitcher with only three seasons on record, 1948 and 1949 with the Flyers and a partial 1950 season with the Giants. Other than the fact that Yoshie was born in Vancouver, Canada and only moved to Japan for high school and university, I can’t find any information about him. The upper left card also reads Kaneda in its right-hand margin, but I think that's just part of the next card that was miscut.

Other Flyers include Yoshie’s fellow pitcher and also outfielder Tajo Hitokoto (upper center and middle right) and catcher Keiichiro Suzuki (middle center and bottom left). Like Yoshie, Hitokoto had a brief career (1946 with the Senators, ’47 and ’48 with the Flyers, and finally 1950 with the Braves). Suzuki, on the other hand, spent his entire eleven year career with the Flyers (and its predecessor, the Senators).

After this page, I think we are ready to move on from the Flyers….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 15 smaller.jpg (80.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 15 ML.jpg (77.2 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 15 UL.jpg (74.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 15 MM.jpg (71.7 KB, 185 views)
Old 09-29-2021, 02:58 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 16

Long before the team I will always think of as the Osaka-based Nankai Hawks (which it technically was from 1947-1988) became the Fukuoka Daiei and then Fukoka SoftBank Hawks, the team had one of the great names in all of baseball history: Kinki Great Ring. I mention this because several of the bromides on this page picture players in their Kinki Great Ring uniforms (presumably from the 1946 season?). It is most easily distinguishable by the cap emblem that looks like a wedding ring. It’s also worth noting that Kinki Great Ring, in what I believe to be its only full season by that name, won the 1946 Japanese Baseball League championship!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the original owner of this album (my best guess is in around 1949) glued the cards into the notebook pages largely by team. So with Page 16 the Hawks section begins. From the 1940s through the 60s, the Hawks were a very successful franchise. In fact, it was the Hawks that would eventually send Masanori Murakami to the US to be the first Japanese player in MLB.

A key figure in the Hawks’ success in the 40s and 50s was ace pitcher Takehiko Bessho, who played for the team from 1942-48 (with a break for the war) before joining the Yomiuri Giants (1949-1960) in something of a scandal (head-hunting star players was apparently prohibited at the time). The top row of bromides are all Bessho cards. In the first two, he appears in his 1947 season Hawks uniform, while in the upper right card he appears in his 1946 Kinki Great Ring uniform. Bessho is also shown mid-windup in the far right card of the middle row.

The remaining Hawks players proved more difficult to identify. The middle left card appears to be long-time Haws catcher Keizo Tsutsui on a card with pretty cool graphics. To his right is a pitcher that I keep trying to translate as Yuzuki but is probably Susumu Yuki, who only played for nine seasons (all with the Hawks) but put together an impressive 123-64 W/L record.

The bottom left and center cards aren’t that obvious to me but I am venturing that they are of second baseman Naofumi Yasui, with whom I was unfamiliar before this project.

The final card (bottom right) introduces Tokuji Iida, one of the great first basemen in Japanese baseball history. This photo and bromide both appear to be from the 1947, his rookie season.

PS: The bonus photo is my one and only Murakami card. PSA here displays its ass-hat “Trading Card” policy for those that don’t want to wait 12 months for them to identify an obvious issue. Good thing they didn’t go out on a limb and identify it as a “Baseball Card.” /rant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 16 smaller.jpg (80.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 16 UL.jpg (69.8 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 16 UR.jpg (78.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 16 ML.jpg (75.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 16 BR.jpg (75.5 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Murakami auto card.jpg (80.2 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 09-29-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:54 AM

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the kind words. The kanji you posted that are on that bottom left card on page 11 do say Chubu Fujiwara, so that would be catcher Tetsunosuke Fujiwara of the Chubu Nippon Dragons. So even though the picture looks like a pitcher pose, it appears under the magnifying glass that he may be wearing a catcher's mitt.

I can help on page 12 now, and will look at the other pages tomorrow. The Maeda on the 2 cards is not Maeda. It is once again Hisanori Karita, player-mgr. of the Flyers. The combo card says: Flyers on the 1st line and Karita manager, Shiraki pitcher on the second line. His solo card says Tokyu Karita. The kanji for Kari and Mae are very similar, especially with these weird fonts that were used on many bromides, and are easily confused. You are quite right on Nagamochi, and the other player is SS Sadayuki Minagawa who was only on the Flyers in 1948. The card says Minagawa Kyuei, and 1948 is the only year that the Flyers were the Kyuei Flyers.

I will look at the next few pages tomorrow night.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2021, 07:46 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
I can help on page 12 now, and will look at the other pages tomorrow. The Maeda on the 2 cards is not Maeda. It is once again Hisanori Karita, player-mgr. of the Flyers. The combo card says: Flyers on the 1st line and Karita manager, Shiraki pitcher on the second line. His solo card says Tokyu Karita. The kanji for Kari and Mae are very similar, especially with these weird fonts that were used on many bromides, and are easily confused. You are quite right on Nagamochi, and the other player is SS Sadayuki Minagawa who was only on the Flyers in 1948. The card says Minagawa Kyuei, and 1948 is the only year that the Flyers were the Kyuei Flyers.
Hi Jeff, and thanks again! I really should have known Karita, as he was pointed out earlier. Each player that I identify (or someone identifies for me) goes in a notebook, where the names (about 200 of them now) are sorted by initial kanji character. If I can't find it that way, I try my luck sketching the names into Google Translate, which is hit or miss. If I don't recognize one of the kanji characters, though, which happens more often with the handwriting or stylized fonts, my notebook doesn't help much.

This project certainly has been an education. I feel that I am still in the very shallow end of the pool but do feel I'm moving in the right direction....

Tags
bromide, japanese, kawakami, menko, starffin