NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default 1935 Chicle question

Posted By: Michael Moran

Was the 1935 National Chicle set reprinted with a green ink but not labled as a reprint. I have a set which is clearly labeled as reprints, but I've seen some without that designation - but with a green ink for the text on the back - what's the story with that? Thanks.

[linked image]

Old 12-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

The green inked Chicle football are reprints...I have never heard anything contrary. I have also seen the green ones sold on ebay as legit.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I also have a question about the Chicles. Something I've wondered about for a long time.

On the reverse, at the bottom, it states:
"One of 240 football players with playing tips."

Does this mean that the Chicle set was originally planned for being 240 cards in size? Or are they saying simply that there are 240 football players playing who have playing tips?

If it was originally suppose to be 240 cards in size, is there any evidence existing, like original artwork for other players that never made it to the set? Maybe some trial proofs, anything?

I'm assuming the set never got any further because of a lack of interest?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Probably not so a lack of interest as a lack of funds during the depression. 240 would have been quite an ambitious project with 8-9 pro teams active at the time of production. I don't believe any of the teams had 30 on their roster.

To my knowledge no other plans, artwork, etc have been for any of the players above the 36.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Blaisdell

As John mentioned the green ink backs are reprints sometimes found notated 1990 Reprint sometimes found without the notation.

As far as the 240 subjects, artwork does exist for the 36 issued cards and I do remember hearing hobby stories of additional unissued artwork also being found with the 36.

I also own correspondence from the National Chicle Co. to Clair Hare of the Philadelphia Eagles from 1935. Mr. Hare was the Director of Publicity for the Eagles. A.S. Livingston of the National Chicle Co. had requested 10 player photos from the Eagles and an Eagle team photo for their FOOTBALL STARS CHEWING GUM. I imagine the team photo would have been one of the R311-2 premium photos. Mr. Hare had sent a panoramic team photo which the Chicle Co. could not use and they were trying to acquire another team pictures.

Even if each team had sent 10 player photos that is still a far cry from 240.

I have included one of the letters in which it appears that A.S. Livingston had sent proofs of the first 24 cards and 12 of the large photo art pictures to Mr. Hare. I wouldnt mind having those today!

Mike

ps: and a Happy New Year to everyone!

[linked image]

Old 01-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Moran

Thanks for the great information. The scan of the green ink back came from this auction on ebay:
1935 National Chicle #34 Bronko Nagurski Rc *EX/MT* NR Item number: 270324351898
This item sold for US $255.00.
I might have written to the high bidder but eBay no longer shows bidders names, so it's gotten harder to network with other collectors through the site. At the bottom you can see someone asked if it was a reprint and was assured it was not.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jim

The winning bidder is cardconstable and left positive feedback. Probably doesn't know it's a reprint. If enough people let him know he might be able to file a SNAD and get his money back.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: macboube

Thanks for posting that letter.

Another ebay reprint rip off. Got to be aware.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Carl L.

Once upon a time, Mike Gallela told be that someone showed him at a Willow Grove showed him an uncut sheet of National Chicle cards with numbers > #36 and documentation for other players. They were an art deco style. The guy or his father worked as a printer. Mike was a major dealer of football cards years ago and he had a great reputation, so although I never personally saw them - I have no reason to question his story. I wonder what a piece like that would bring at auction!