NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-11-2020, 01:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Junk Era Shiny Crap: Doing the Math

I love a couple of the junk wax era shiny inserts. Like 1996 Summit Above and Beyond. I did the math the other night and thought the results for a set building exercise were interesting.

The set has 200 cards.

The cards were seeded 1:4 in hobby boxes.

Each hobby box had 18 packs and sold for $2.99 MSRP

So, what would it cost to put together a set by busting packs in 1996? Well, each box had 4.5 cards on average and retailed for $53.82 plus tax. Call it $55 with tax and assuming a bit of a discount for a box purchase. So the least the set could cost would be, in round terms:

44 boxes x $55 per box = $2,420.00

Divide that by $200 and the set would run $12.10 per card assembled.

Today nearly all of the cards cost under $2 but the Jeter runs $40 and the Bonds, Griffey and a few others will sell for several bucks too.

Interesting what this stuff cost new...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-11-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:14 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, one insert set does not the entire product make. It would be a share of the box break value, but only a small part of it.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Well, one insert set does not the entire product make. It would be a share of the box break value, but only a small part of it.
Except that my point was how much it would cost and how much effort it would be to compile a set of the inserts by breaking down product.

Or not...
Old 02-12-2020, 08:08 PM
Curt

I think that is a losing proposition for just about any decent sized insert or parallel set. Even with perfect collation, building a set by busting packs is not cost effective, nor are the cards rarely "worth" what you'd have to pay.

I remember thinking how cool it would be to have a set of 1994 Collectors Choice Gold Signature cards. Wonder how much that would cost to build from packs! I seem to recall the Thomas having a value of around $100-150 at one point. I think you can probably find one for under $10 now. Still a great set/card and at 1 per wax box (I think factory sets had a small brick of them too), not an easy set to build.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:55 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I think that is a losing proposition for just about any decent sized insert or parallel set. Even with perfect collation, building a set by busting packs is not cost effective, nor are the cards rarely "worth" what you'd have to pay.

I remember thinking how cool it would be to have a set of 1994 Collectors Choice Gold Signature cards. Wonder how much that would cost to build from packs! I seem to recall the Thomas having a value of around $100-150 at one point. I think you can probably find one for under $10 now. Still a great set/card and at 1 per wax box (I think factory sets had a small brick of them too), not an easy set to build.
1994 Collector's Choice was the last set I busted packs from when I was a kid. I was, and am, a huge fan of the set. Of all the packs I busted, I only ever pulled 1 gold card. I have since busted 4 boxes, and am attempting to build the base, silver and gold sets very casually. I managed to complete the base set by packs and trades, I bought a small lot of silvers to supplement what I pulled from packs and have traded my way within 42 cards of completing that set. I am at 432 on the golds but am still a long way from completion, with Jeter still missing, all of the Griffeys, Jordans and all but one Thomas also still unaccounted for.

If I were to attempt this busting packs, I imagine I'd be spending around $10-15 per series 1 "card" (realizing it's the entire box), and more like $20-25 per series 2 "card", plus shipping.

If you went the complete set route, you would get 5 gold cards per set. I imagine that's how you'd achieve the lowest "per gold card" rate, maybe around 4 bucks a card or less, but that's still significantly more than what I'm at per card so far (realizing I still have some major gaps to fill).

Thank goodness I'm not in this for the money

Richard.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:38 AM

Fascinating subject fellas.
RayB
Old 02-13-2020, 10:59 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The fun part is piecing together these sorts of insert sets now and seeing how cheaply it can be done. It is somewhat of a slog. The first 50% of the set usually can be knocked off with a big lot or two for cheap. The next 25% is a bit more costly. The next 20% is pricey because you will have to buy singles and pay shipping on them. The last few big cards will cost. I spent more for my Jeter card from the 1997 Topps Gallery Peter Max insert set than I did for the other 9 cards in the set. Still, you are probably looking at a financial commitment of about 10%-20% of what the cards would have cost from box breaks. Speaking of which, I will occasionally break a box of late 1990s product but strictly for the fun of it because I know it is a losing proposition. Last boxes I broke down were 2 boxes of 1997 Topps Stadium Club and they yielded only two Matrix cards, a few Pure Golds and one Millennium. And with my luck I end up with Juan Gonzalez or Ryan Klesko. Way cheaper to buy them directly from a retail seller.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-14-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:24 PM
Richard A.

When I first got back into collecting (in the early 2000s) I busted a lot of boxes of stuff from the 80s and 90s -- the stuff I collected as a kid and the stuff from just before I started collecting.

I'd love to sit down to a few boxes of 1991 Upper Deck and see if I could complete the set, the Heroes sets, the Silver Sluggers, etc, but by the time I buy the right combination of boxes to have a shot at it, and ship them, I'm probably in for over $100 for what I could probably just buy for $20.

Still might do it one day though, just for the fun of tearing into the packs and collating.

Richard.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:57 PM
Curt

I don't open packs any more, other than a stray one here or there. Have not really bought wax since the early 2000s. Still, every once in a while, I find a good deal on something. I recently bought two boxes of the 2003 Donruss Team Heroes issue (i want to say for under $50 delivered) and opened those. I figured I probably could have maybe even turned a small profit had I tried to resell the unopened boxes or held some sort of box break deal. I wanted to open them though, guessing I'd probably still not get my money's worth. I was right, but it was still a fun break. I pulled a Schmidt bat card and a no-name auto, a few stat line cards (none were a super low print run), a couple decent glossy players and that was about it.

If I could find enough boxes with some fun stuff inside and cheap enough to feel like I didn't completely waste my money when I didn't pull anything epic, I would still be opening wax today.