NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Bill Gregory

Default Wow, Ranger Jurickson Profar, recently the #1 prospect in baseball, to miss 2015

My personal 2011 Bowman Chrome Jurickson Profar card

It wasn't long ago that the Texas Rangers were appearing in back to back World Series contests. The team looked to be on the brink of greatness, and they fell just short in 2011, when a fly ball to right field barely escaped the outstretched glove of Nelson Cruz. Had he caught that ball, the Rangers would have won it all for the first time in franchise history. Instead, the St. Louis Cardinals came back from a 3-2 deficit to complete their thirteenth World Championship.

Rangers fans were dejected, but unfazed. After all, they had the #1 prospect in baseball in shortstop Jurickson Profar, and one of the elite farm systems in all of baseball. With talent at the Major League level, and players in the minors trying to find a roster spot, it looked like the Rangers were going to hang around for a while.

Then Josh Hamilton, the American League MVP in 2010 after a brilliant campaign that saw him hit .359 with 32 home runs, and 100 RBI, was gone to the Angels after a monster 2012 season, where he hit .285 with 43 home runs and 128 RBI. Nelson Cruz, after testing positive for steroid use, was not retained. After the 2013 season, the Orioles signed Cruz as a free agent. He went on to hit .271 with a league-best 40 home runs, and 108 RBI. One player after another, the team that won the American League in 2010 and 2011 started to disappear. Ian Kinsler to Detroit for Prince Fielder, Michael Young to Philadelphia for a brief time before retiring.

Profar, after a very short call up in 2012, got consistent playing time in 2013, showing occasional flashes of brilliance, but more inconsistency than anything, hitting .234 with 6 home runs and 26 RBI in 85 games. He then missed the entire 2014 season with a shoulder injury. Profar, who was nearly traded to the Tampa Bay Rays for the reigning Cy Young Award winner David Price, will now need to rehab after surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

The Rangers now have to hope that Rougned Odor is ready to go, in a big way.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:33 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I think the Rangers deserve some positive news...can't believe their injury-filled 2014 is spilling over...hope Odor doesn't stink....sorry, I had to

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-24-2015, 08:15 AM

Profar was a real jerk at spring training. At the end of practice he had this habit of hiding behind players that he shoved in front of him to avoid any contact what-so-ever with fans. I watched him push Adrian Beltre out of the way to jump into a golf cart. I asked one woman next to me (a local who said she went every year) if he ever signs. She said "No, sir. He's an asshole." Might have been the only time she ever cursed in her life.

Maybe now he has some perspective. This isn't forever and nothing is guaranteed to him. I hope this changes his view of the fans and what he should appreciate while he has it.

I'm a big fan of Rougned Odor. Nothing but a gentleman. Even gave a kid his hat last year.

Last edited by packs; 02-24-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Bill Gregory

Really? I hadn't heard about his attitude problems. Let's hope that he has some time to think, and grow up.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:54 PM

I went to Rangers camp three days last year and he did the same thing every time. Rangers camp was not hugely attended. We're talking maybe 35 to 40 people on average waiting for the end of practice on a back field. No one around me had a nice word to say about him in terms of approachability and fan interaction.

Last edited by packs; 02-24-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:20 PM

This is nothing new. I blame the teams for not helping their younger players, especially those not born here, adjust to a totally new environment. It's quite a cultural change for many players living away from home for the very first time and it's a shame that the higher-ups down deal with that in a more constructive way. I know when I was their age, I had all kinds of difficulty socially- and I had most of the advantages they do not. Let's give them a chance before passing judgment.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-24-2015, 02:35 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Profar was a real jerk at spring training. At the end of practice he had this habit of hiding behind players that he shoved in front of him to avoid any contact what-so-ever with fans. I watched him push Adrian Beltre out of the way to jump into a golf cart. I asked one woman next to me (a local who said she went every year) if he ever signs. She said "No, sir. He's an asshole." Might have been the only time she ever cursed in her life.

Maybe now he has some perspective. This isn't forever and nothing is guaranteed to him. I hope this changes his view of the fans and what he should appreciate while he has it.

I'm a big fan of Rougned Odor. Nothing but a gentleman. Even gave a kid his hat last year.
Interesting that Profar was behaving that way. He was always fine when here in Spokane as a teenager.

Odor was too.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:45 PM

I don't mean to reduce someone's entire being into whether or not they sign autographs. But I do think it says something about character and attitude. Now that he's missing two seasons he'll really have to work to get back. That kind of perseverance and perspective will hopefully trickle down to other aspects of his character. I'm sure it's hard to be told you're great your whole life and be a balanced person.

Last edited by packs; 02-24-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Bill Gregory

I'm certainly not looking to make excuses for the guy, because there's always a right way and a wrong way to handle things. But I wonder if some of it due to feeling uncomfortable with the language barrier.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:12 AM

Don't know that was my only experience. But here is another brief encounter I found on the net: http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/viewtopic.php?t=293834
Old 02-25-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I'm certainly not looking to make excuses for the guy, because there's always a right way and a wrong way to handle things. But I wonder if some of it due to feeling uncomfortable with the language barrier.
There is no language barrier for Profar. He grew up in Curacao and speaks the major languages spoken there, including English.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 AM

The language barrier is only one of many obstacles they face. Mind you, I'm not hear to provide card blanch to anyone, - I'm just sayin'.

- and, of course, most of us are would do a lot to be in their cleats regardless.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:58 AM

He speaks English just fine. Like I said, I don't mean to reduce someone's entire being into signing autographs. But the guy looked at everyone there like they were gross. As though the sight of people who were fans of his disgusted him. That really pissed me off and I find it hard to root for or feel bad for the guy.

Last edited by packs; 02-26-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i'm a profar fan and i hope he can get his career started after all these injuries. i'm not gonna judge him based on him not wanting to sign some autographs. from his pov it's a sea of ugliness anyways with all the crowding and fighting, that's basically what the autograph hobby is. they don't call it hounding for nothing.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 PM
J Ryan
Banned

And this is why I dont spend money on prospects cards lol

seen too many of them end up hurt and nowhere.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:27 PM

Default and the Texas injury woes continue:

Yu Darvish may need Tommy John surgery.

Does anyone else feel like TJ is becoming seen as a cure-all?

Maybe it's because of the success stories we hear, but there are bound to be some that do not work out- they just aren't attention-getters.

Sort of like when an NFL player gets cut due to injuries. Poof, the fame is gone!

Thank you very much; don't let the door hit you in the rear when you leave.
-
-

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-07-2015 at 10:28 PM.