NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 05-29-2014, 11:44 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default 1962 Post Cereal

I started collecting most football sets during the 2012 National Convention in Baltimore. But I've been chasing the '62 Post set for almost ten years now, and still need six cards to complete my set. All needed cards are SPs, including the tough #93 Dave Baker. The Standard Catalog says "Players who were pictured on the less popular cereals are scarcer and more valuable, explaining the higher prices on about two dozen of the cards". If you don't know by now, I collect cards in ANY condition, and thought I'd share a couple of my favorites:

"Pinking Shears" variation:
 photo ScannedImage141490000.jpg
Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

"Nine Year Old with Scissors" variation:
 photo ScannedImage141490001.jpg
Old 05-29-2014, 11:47 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

One last scan #74 Sam Baker one of the toughest cards in the set, and I think the most expensive? I picked up this card at last years National Convention in Chicago, the last card I've added to my set!
 photo ScannedImage141490002.jpg
Thoughts on this set anyone?

Last edited by LuckyLarry; 05-29-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Jeff

Default Beautiful Set

One of my favorite FB sets.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-29-2014, 02:37 PM

Default Precious memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
One last scan #74 Sam Baker one of the toughest cards in the set, and I think the most expensive? I picked up this card at last years National Convention in Chicago, the last card I've added to my set!
 photo ScannedImage141490002.jpg
Thoughts on this set anyone?
Larry,
Thanks for sharing your passion for the 1962 Post Cereal football set. I, too, love the set, though I completed mine 52 years ago.
We lived in a rural area outside Pensacola, Fla., and my Mom would drive to the Navy commissary every 2 weeks, then stop at a couple of civilian grocery stores on the way home to take advantage of whatever was on sale. I'd head straight to the cereal aisle looking for boxes that had players I needed. We ate a lot of cereal in those days -- my Dad liked to snack on cereal and, fortunately for me, would eat any flavor we brought home -- but it was still a challenge to find cards I needed as the promotion wore on. I can still see those cereal boxes with the product bulging out the back after I cut the cards off right away to keep them from getting creased or stained. We did the same drill with the baseball sets, but the football set was special because it included so many players not featured in the gum sets of the day.
Thanks for reviving some pleasant memories that remind me how much of my collection I owe to my mother's patience (she also stopped at convenience stores on the way home so I could check for the latest series of gum cards).
B.ob Ric.hard$on
Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 PM

Default Cards needed?

What #'s do you need? I might have a couple of them! I even have a few cut with pinking sheers. Sam Majors
Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Jeff P

It's a GREAT set. Here's a scan of one of the pages in my binder. Who do you need? I have some doubles as well.

jeff
Old 05-31-2014, 03:26 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

1962 Post Football need: 028 059 093 117 136 139
Old 06-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
I started collecting most football sets during the 2012 National Convention in Baltimore. But I've been chasing the '62 Post set for almost ten years now, and still need six cards to complete my set. All needed cards are SPs, including the tough #93 Dave Baker. The Standard Catalog says "Players who were pictured on the less popular cereals are scarcer and more valuable, explaining the higher prices on about two dozen of the cards". If you don't know by now, I collect cards in ANY condition, and thought I'd share a couple of my favorites:

"Pinking Shears" variation:
 photo ScannedImage141490000.jpg
I believe they call that a "deckle edge"
Old 06-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 11-28-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Ken Marks

Default Question

Hi Kirk. Kim Marks here. Been a long time. I see you have gotten back into the Post Cereal football since we last were in contact many years ago. Great to see. I have a question for you if I might. Throughout this thread of posts, you reference the Unitas card to be an Alpha Bits individual card coming from Treat Paks. While I totally agree it is an Alpha Bits individual card, I was wondering how you are able to say it came from the six package variety Treat Paks as opposed to a 10 cereal variety package 10 Treys? For me, while probably pushing 80 total cards of the 6 players of the individual alpha bit cards and never seen any difference in the cropping, blue around the outside covering the right two thirds of the card, or other telltale identification markings, I was hopeful you could tell me how you knew that information. I have the complete 10 Trey package which I showed you a number of years ago. So I know those ABI cards exist. But I've never heard anyone say with certainty cards existed on Treat Paks in that issue, and if they did it has always seems certain to me that they were exactly the same cards and you could not tell them apart. So any light you can shed would be very appreciated. If you still live in the area that you used to, maybe we can get together again sometime. Have some interesting new material related to post cereal football that I've acquired in the 15 years or whatever it's been since those meetings at your house.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:53 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 11-28-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:28 PM

It was late in the fall of 1962. My family and I lived in Skokie, Illinois. I was in third grade, and struggling mightily to comprehend English grammar.

My teacher, Miss Lewis, was a young, very attractive woman, and very nice. Patient. All of us kids loved her.

I just couldn't seem to understand breaking the English language down. Among many of the vicissitudes, the participles were too much for this simpleton, and I was falling apart with self-doubt. Moreover, I was very shy, and had a speech impediment. My mother and father even hired Miss Lewis to tutor me one evening a week.

Well, early one afternoon she called me up to her desk. She showed me the back of a box of Post Cereal. There before me were 7 beautiful Post football cards, of players I had never seen. She said something to the effect that if I was able to complete the current challenging English assignment, I could have the panel!

You better believe I worked hard and got the assignment done. True to her word, she presented me with the panel. I don't remember any of the other boys saying anything to me about the matter, and I sure didn't want to incur their wrath or jealousy. We were a close bunch though, and they knew I was having great difficulty with English grammar.

I was so touched she thought that much of me to give me a whole panel of Post Cereal football cards---none of them familiar to me! In retrospect, I imagine she took good care of herself and ate a healthier cereal, such as a large box of Post Grape Nuts Flakes. No kid with good taste wanted THAT! Which, of course, explains why I had never seen those Post football stars. Grape Nuts Flakes was an adult variety of breakfast cereal consumed by the geriatric set, and the few health nuts of the time. Being a low percentage of their cereal-consuming population, Post did not print very many boxes of the larger size Grape Nuts Flakes.

Throughout the Post baseball and football trading card promotions, a decent number of the short prints could be found on the Grape Nuts Flakes boxes. When I went cereal hunting while my Mom grocery shopped, I never thought to look at the back of those boxes. It never occurred to me as my mind was on Alpha-Bits, Sugar Crisp, and a couple others. Besides, on top of that, grocers stocked them on the top shelf, where I could not as yet reach.

I still wound up having to repeat third grade, which really was good for me. Most of my Post football cards were tossed during the move our family made in '64. Fortunately, my Post baseball cards were saved.

I have a very tender and special place in my heart for Miss Lewis. Never will I forget her kindness and thoughtfulness to me. The cards I may not have, but the memory, this time, is even more precious. A famous quote of Maya Angelou comes to my mind when I remember dear Miss Lewis:

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Here is a case where I cherish what she did, how that made me feel, and the smile and genuine look of kindness on her face. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-23-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Polishing
Old 07-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 11-28-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Carl Lamendola

Here u go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Carl Lamendola

63 factory had to send away card by card

Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Steve Liskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
63 factory had to send away card by card

What are the greenish looking things that say "Football Album" on them? Are those something used to keep the cards in, or is that what was mailed in to receive cards?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Carl Lamendola

Saver pamphlet

Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Carl Lamendola

Order form for factory cards

Old 07-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Carl Lamendola

Album one French and on English

Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Steve Liskey

Default 6-card Post Cereal Panel, Meredith

Was anyone watching the three 6-card panels that ended tonight? I was hoping to win the one with Meredith but it was just out of my reach.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:39 PM

I saw several panels end a couple week ago, and was in awe at what they ended at. Never looked at them before, so I am sure it was just that I am unfamiliar with them. I had a guy at a local show about a month ago, offer me a panel with Unitas on it. He wanted $175 for it, which I thought was a bit high, until I saw what they go for on ebay. Thinking back, I might should have gotten it. Maybe he'll be at the next show in September.
My website for 1963 Topps football color variations -
Old 08-13-2014, 02:35 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Picked up this hit by accident at the National Convention in the .50c bin now five cards remain:
 photo filename-1-7.jpg
Old 08-13-2014, 02:45 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Last hit came in the mail a couple of days ago from a member of my trading club (OBC). Another SP Cowboy #139 Allen Green. The picture had come apart from the cardboard so I broke out the Elmers glue and solved that. Looks like this card spent some time in a sewer Four left to complete my set………
 photo filename-1-6.jpg
Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 AM
P*ter Me@d

Default Indiana cornfields

Guru--

I think I mentioned this card originated from Randy--he probably found it in a corn field.

Elmers fixes pretty much anything.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:45 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

*correction: "looks like the card spent some time in a corn field"
Real glad to cross this one off my list.
Thanks again Peter. Or Randy
Old 05-11-2015, 03:46 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Wanted to check in and report a hit to my short wantlist I won this three card lot of SP cards on ebay which included #28 Del Shofner which I needed for my set. $9.99 plus $3 to ship and I'm down to needing two more cards the extra tough #93 Dave Baker and #117 Larry Morris.
Larry
 photo filename-1_7.jpg
Old 05-13-2015, 02:10 PM
Bob Lemke

In case you missed it when it was posted on another thread last month . . .

Rozelle Post.jpg

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 08-05-2015, 03:40 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

After chasing this set for over ten years (and needing just two cards) I completed it at this years National Convention. After walking the aisles for four days, I thought I'd seen everything. Spike (a friend of mine) suggested walking cross ways across the floor, not along the regular walkways, and this proved successful. I started seeing things I had missed all week!
I came across a dealer with a stack of 1962 Post football and of course I asked to see them, and what do you know! #117 Larry Morris priced at $25, and the dealer accepted my offer of $20.
 photo 8484AB06-0C9D-4A9D-B963-B4ED77DC1C1D.jpg
So I paid the dealer and mentioned that I am down to needing just one more card, the short printed number 93 Dave Baker. And to my surprise the dealer says he has one!
The problem is, I am collecting a low grade set, and the dealer pulls out the most beautiful card I have ever seen, it's a BLAZER! But with extra money in my pocket we strike a deal, and my set is complete! I am so excited, and shoot Spike a text so I can show him. After seeing the card, Spike suggests I get the card slabbed and I agree with him. I want to keep this card as nice as possible! Here's a picture of me sitting at the SGC booth with the Dave Baker card ready for submission, cost to have it graded and slabbed was $35 and the card will be ready in one hour.
 photo 616a31d3-abb3-4646-a1a2-f8b6203dfebc.jpg
I didn't know what to expect, I knew the card was nice, but I don't normally purchase better condition cards. I was like an expectant father, pacing the Convention floor, and checking the time every five minutes. This was the longest hour I have spent in a long long time Finally I approach the SGC booth......
 photo Scan 3_2.jpeg
And that's the story how I finally completed my set. Of course the slabbed NM card of Dave Baker does not really fit in with the rest of my set. Hole punched, cut out with pinking shears, and stored raw in an 800 count box. I may keep my eyes open for a lower end Dave Baker card and downgrade But then again, this card is pretty sweet!
Larry
Old 08-05-2015, 08:44 AM
John

Congrats Larry - great story!
Old 08-05-2015, 09:42 AM
pariah1107

A beauty Larry, and quite the capstone! Congratulations!
Old 08-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Jeff P

Great story, Larry, and glad you were able to snag that last card. It's a toughie!

jeff
Old 08-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Jeff

Kudos on your completed journey.
Love the set!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 06-29-2019, 06:25 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I picked up a small stack of '62 Post Football cards today, and discovered #57 has a variation DETROIT LIONS QUARTERBACK red or black asterisk. It's not listed in the Standard Catalog?

Larry

Old 06-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Ninowski

Larry,

Ninowski Red Asterisk: 18 oz. Post Toasties
Ninowski Black Asterisk: 13 oz. Alpha Bits/Crispy Critters

Also, Sam Baker has a Black Star on 11 oz. Grape Nuts and Red Star on his Post Tens card.

The price guides have never differentiated between the colors.

Ken Marks has published a book on the 62 Set entitled "Goal Posts". Which I highly recommend.

Here is a link to Robin Pauls site dedicated to the 62 Post Set.

http://postcerealfootball.com/index.html