NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2020, 01:48 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Is there usually a waitlist for tables at the National or do they more or less have a table for anyone willing to pay the fee?
Old 09-22-2020, 01:55 PM
Scott Russell

It's almost impossible to get into as a dealer if you haven't already been doing it.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-22-2020, 02:24 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
I've been to maybe half the Nationals in the last 10 years. Didn't make a single notable pickup; just a handful of cheaper items that I actually could have done without. Any sales I had could have been done outside of the National setting, so there's another strike against my ever returning.

The area of Cleveland surrounding the I-X isn't exactly a hopping place for things to do, so that won't be missed. It was a huge cut above going to Baltimore, with its weather just half a degree below hell. It was also wonderful to be able to drive right up and park at the I-X, both as a dealer and as someone walking in the front door. That will be sorely missed.

Prior to 10 years ago, I had my greatest National successes in Cleveland. After constant disappointments when the show was in other cities, I could always think positively about the next Cleveland National. That streak of success ended with the last colossally disappointing Cleveland show. After that, I decided I'm done with the convention altogether. How many years do I have to walk by the same dealers with the same inventories? And I'm paying for this privilege? It would be nice to see some new faces set up and maybe, just maybe, new material. Let me know when that happens; I gave up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
It's almost impossible to get into as a dealer if you haven't already been doing it.
Hmmm....and what about demand? I know tables/booths are expensive, but anyone have any idea about how many would-be set-uppers there would be if there was availability? I know no one knows for sure, but is it a few...several...quite a few....a shit ton?
Old 09-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Varies by location, Conor, which is one reason to rotate the show across the whole USA. As I said above, one of the better things with the show when it moved around were the locals who turned up. There are definitely fewer card dealer tables offered than in the past. More corporate space and manufactured memorabilia/souvenir people.

As for what's at the show, yeah, definitely you will tend to see the same inventory from the more veteran dealers but there is also a ton of other stuff if you dig. I can only think of two shows (Chicago in 2008 and AC the last time) where I found nothing of note worth buying. Plus even the common stuff is available at such great volume and pricing that you can fill out mainstream sets and runs for a lot less than via eBay or otherwise. I know the last time out I ran across a big stack of cards from a vintage basketball set I was working and knocked off all but two of the cards I needed for a tiny fraction of what I would have paid online. It happens. And just so as not to keep anyone in suspense:

It was the 1971 Fleer Cocoa Puffs Harlem Globetrotters set, which I finished earlier this year.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-22-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:29 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
................. I know the last time out I ran across a big stack of cards from a vintage basketball set I was working and knocked off all but two of the cards I needed for a tiny fraction of what I would have paid online. It happens. And just so as not to keep anyone in suspense:

It was the 1971 Fleer Cocoa Puffs Harlem Globetrotters set, which I finished earlier this year.
Those cards are super cool.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 09-22-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:03 PM

Adam: That's great, but how much did these cards end up running you when you figure in time, travel, lodging and food/drink? I'm thinking you'd have saved money by buying them online at higher prices. Don't worry, I understand that's not your only reason for going!

I think most people can relate to your example. I constantly find myself in need of multiple copies of rather cheap commons for autograph purposes. Online, the cost adds up due to markup and often having to pay S&H to several sellers in order to acquire what is needed. At the National, I can knock off most of these needs all at once for much less...until I factor in how much that trip cost me! Sadly, all I found at my last National were commons such as these. And that sort of thing is the least of what I'm hoping to find. When you're having a successful show in other regards like in the distant past, finding a bunch of commons was just a nice added convenience. If that's the highlight of a faraway show, I'm done.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 09-22-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:16 PM

I've been to a few Nationals and I've only found a few items that I may not have found elsewhere, and I'm sure that I vastly overpaid for them if you factor in travel and other expenses of going to the show. But I just like being around and seeing all of the stuff, even items I'm not remotely interested in buying, just because I think it's so cool. The Big Show experience is fun in and of itself.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Adam: That's great, but how much did these cards end up running you when you figure in time, travel, lodging and food/drink? I'm thinking you'd have saved money by buying them online at higher prices. Don't worry, I understand that's not your only reason for going!
I don't think of it that way; the Natty trip is (was) my vacation. The cards are great but the evenings visiting with friends in the hotel bars are priceless.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...