NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Default 1926 Sports Co. of America Spalding Cards Trade Ad

Great ad from an obscure trade publication illustrating the method of distribution for 1926 Sports Company of America Spalding cards. Also including the Old Cardboard link for comparison...

http://www.oldcardboard.com/o/h/spor...?cardsetID=980

Old 01-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default very interesting

Hey Jeff
Thanks for posting that. I have an affinity for that series as I have one of the more scarce cards in the set, a 1927 (copyright) Ruth card. Now we see they were made exclusively for the candy trade I wonder if we should classify them as "E-Unc"? I have always had them listed as a trade card "H-Unc". Great item and if it were ever offered for sale I would be interested....regards
Old 01-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Very cool item! It's rare we get to see the items we collect in the state that one was able to purchase them.

Leon, I don't know that these should be E-cards as the Sport-Scrip is what you were actually purchasing (along w the card)--only the buyer with the lucky #'s got any candy or gifts.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 PM

I love that set of cards also. That is a super neat piece you found there. If anyone happens to run across the Man O War card, give me a holler, I had to sell mine a few years ago and have regretted that for a while.
Bob
upperhandisforemost@yahoo.com
Old 01-10-2010, 05:44 PM

Does anyone know why certain cards in that set (like Cobb) seem to be especially tough?
Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Carl Lamendola

Yes - certain players were aked to participate in the set and give their permission. A few prototypes were sent to them and they are extremely rare- I (and very advanced collector in Calif.) own a Red Grange (2 seen) and BMW (Mike Wentz) has a Cobb (1 seen). They were also issued in 1927 and as Leon says and are rare. I have three FB players with a Sept 1927 copyright date on the reverse. Nice Ad.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Very cool item! It's rare we get to see the items we collect in the state that one was able to purchase them.

Leon, I don't know that these should be E-cards as the Sport-Scrip is what you were actually purchasing (along w the card)--only the buyer with the lucky #'s got any candy or gifts.
-Rhett
I guess in retrospect, with a few more seconds of thought, these shouldn't be candy cards as you suggest, Rhett. It was a fleeting thought I had .
Old 01-10-2010, 08:47 PM

Thanks, Carl. I had no idea the Cobb had a 1927 copyright date. I remember when it was auctioned. It was handcut and sold as very rare, but I didn't know it was literally one of a kind.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Cool piece, Thank for sharing!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

If I'm not mistaken, the original find of these cards (or a major find) was made in the early 90's by Alan Hager.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Mike

I remember doing a show probably back in the '80's and this guy walked in with a lot of these cards. I couldn't find them in any priceguide, but I offered a price and he refused. Never seen any again. I really wanted them since he had I remember a Ruth in the lot.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Mark Macrae

Jay... I seem to recall that it was Bill Hughes who made the first discovery of a large lot in uncirculated condition, then Alan Hager found a similar group shortly thereafter . We had seen them circulating on the West Coast for years, but never in such large quantities or nice condition.... On another note.... GREAT AD piece !!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Weren't Alan Hager's in uncut sheets that he (or someone associated w/ him) cut up & then had graded by ASA (his own grading co.), also, I believe they had the ad backs (not the bio backs normally found).
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 PM

I think Hager's claim to fame was a find of the "ad back" cards (as opposed to the "biography back" cards. There are certainly a lot of handcut cards out there. I'm not sure if those originate from Hager or not, and I'm not sure if they're the ad backs or not.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdduet View Post
Cool piece, Thank for sharing!
Agreed - very interesting and finally sheds some light on a mysterious set. I used to have three track and field cards from the set, each with the original coupon and envelope. Only have a copyright Nov, '26 Whitey Michelsen left. Heck, Whitey's 10% of my collection now!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Brian

Many of the ones discovered were -- as I recall -- found inside the paper packets ....
Certain cards seem to be fairly common. For example, there are several Joe Sewell cards that were signed by Sewell. On the other hand Cobb and some others are almost never seen.