NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-12-2023, 06:55 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Pitch clock

In the blink of an eye baseball just got a lot faster moving. Am I the only person who thinks that maybe the game has been sped up TOO fast? There are nights by the time I tune into a game its the bottom of the seventh.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-12-2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:49 AM
Ben North

I like the new rules. Baseball was getting way too long and drug out. I enjoy the shorter games like they used to be when I started watching back in the early 80s.

A lot of the time I use the MLB.TV app on my TV and watch the condensed games from the day before. They are awesome. You can watch all the games from the previous day in the time it takes to watch one game live.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:16 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Growing up as a kid in the 60's I remember games running about 2 1/2 hours.

The more things change, the more they stay (get back to?) the same!

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 04-12-2023, 11:50 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I've gotten used to it with runners on base but the 15 seconds is too short IMO.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-12-2023, 12:19 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

We're getting the same amount of baseball, its the ridiculous crap in between every pitch thats been cut out. I don't think its been sped up too much.
Old 04-12-2023, 12:24 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I've gotten used to it with runners on base but the 15 seconds is too short IMO.
Thats with no runners on base, I think 15 seconds is fine. If anything, I could see them adding a few seconds with runners on since theres more to do, signs and shifting fielders, etc..
Old 04-12-2023, 12:43 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Thats with no runners on base, I think 15 seconds is fine. If anything, I could see them adding a few seconds with runners on since theres more to do, signs and shifting fielders, etc..
What is it now, 15/20/30? IMO 20/25/30 would be fine and would not add much time to the games.

I wasn't a pitcher when I played growing up but I have to think the 15 second clock will wear down pitchers when the summer temps start rising.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-12-2023, 02:27 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I like the concept of the pitch clock and it does add some strategy and actually affect Stolen bases and attempts

I do think it does need to add a little more time others said. Hopefully as they do this they tweek it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-12-2023, 03:45 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
What is it now, 15/20/30? IMO 20/25/30 would be fine and would not add much time to the games.

I wasn't a pitcher when I played growing up but I have to think the 15 second clock will wear down pitchers when the summer temps start rising.
Its 15 with no runners and 20 with
Old 04-12-2023, 03:46 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I like the concept of the pitch clock and it does add some strategy and actually affect Stolen bases and attempts

I do think it does need to add a little more time others said. Hopefully as they do this they tweek it
Stolen bases are say up so far, I like that part too.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:21 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Stolen bases are say up so far, I like that part too.
Agreed I really like that. Like stolen bases and small ball mixed with the big boppers

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 04-13-2023, 04:43 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I feel bad for the color commentators, they can't get a word in sometimes. No more cool stories being told. on field reporters and mic'd up players will die off. i used to like the slow pace, I would put the game on while I was doing something else. Now I have to focus. And this is being done for the people who DON"T watch baseball!

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 04-14-2023, 11:21 AM

I haven't watched much ball (am tax guy working long hours now). But I did watch couple spring training games at nights when family away on Spring Break.

I felt rushed just watching. First impressions I didn't like it. Another 5-10 seconds would help. It's all the pitcher changes that really take up time.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:48 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
I haven't watched much ball (am tax guy working long hours now). But I did watch couple spring training games at nights when family away on Spring Break.

I felt rushed just watching. First impressions I didn't like it. Another 5-10 seconds would help. It's all the pitcher changes that really take up time.
And don't forget replay reviews! Gotta cut those 5 seconds off each pitch, but having everyone watch for 3 minutes while a guy stands there with a headset on is no problem...
Old 04-15-2023, 10:02 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
And don't forget replay reviews! Gotta cut those 5 seconds off each pitch, but having everyone watch for 3 minutes while a guy stands there with a headset on is no problem...
Last year, baseball averaged about 1 review every other game and average reviews are under 2 minutes so its not really affecting the time that much. To me, accuracy is more important than speed.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:44 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Last year, baseball averaged about 1 review every other game and average reviews are under 2 minutes so its not really affecting the time that much. To me, accuracy is more important than speed.
I want to get the calls right too; personally I just think it's silly to have the clock at 15 seconds when there are so many other things that can cause delays.

This is totally random off the top of my head, but I was thinking:

If they extended the 15 seconds to always 20, how much time would that add?

Let's say ~200 pitches on a game. If they added 5 seconds, I would guess on average the pitchers might use 2-3 seconds more of that. 200 pitches x 2.5 seconds = 8 minutes and 20 seconds. Of course, many of those pitches will be thrown with runners on base, so the clock would be longer in those cases anyway.

So this would add, what, maybe 5 or 6 minutes to games? If it lets the announcers finish what they're saying more often, or allows the broadcast to show what the field looks like (notice how they never do that anymore?), or allows me to look away from the TV for a few seconds and not miss a pitch (lol), I'd be in favor of it.
Old 04-15-2023, 04:31 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The dumb 'disengagements' should just be renamed 'disengamements,' because they are the height of mind-numbing stupidity and ruin the game. If the pitcher is unsuccessful in two throws to first base, why not just hand second base to the runner?????????? Nothing's keeping him from stealing it. Can you even imagine how many steals Rickey Henderson would rack up now???? And I literally mean NOW. As a 64 year old, he would still shatter his own stolen base records with these pathetic rules.

It is so hard to watch any game now. WTF have they done to the thing I loved???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2023, 05:05 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
The dumb 'disengagements' should just be renamed 'disengamements,' because they are the height of mind-numbing stupidity and ruin the game. If the pitcher is unsuccessful in two throws to first base, why not just hand second base to the runner?????????? Nothing's keeping him from stealing it. Can you even imagine how many steals Rickey Henderson would rack up now???? And I literally mean NOW. As a 64 year old, he would still shatter his own stolen base records with these pathetic rules.

It is so hard to watch any game now. WTF have they done to the thing I loved???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think as the season goes on, we'll see more pitchers throwing over the 3rd time. Baserunners are more likely to go and be successful after 2 throws, so why not take the shot at a pickoff?
Old 04-16-2023, 04:33 PM

Went to Fenway today and saw the sox beat the Angels 2-1 in 1:57.

Game started at 1:35 PM, and I was home in my driveway in RI by 6 PM.

I bought a soda that came with a free refill, and didn't get a chance use it !

I will say, though, the crisp pace of game kept my 11 year old interested. That wouldn't have happened during a 4 hour game!
Old 04-17-2023, 09:17 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Went to Fenway today and saw the sox beat the Angels 2-1 in 1:57.

Game started at 1:35 PM, and I was home in my driveway in RI by 6 PM.

I bought a soda that came with a free refill, and didn't get a chance use it !

I will say, though, the crisp pace of game kept my 11 year old interested. That wouldn't have happened during a 4 hour game!
could take aways and great story

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth

Last edited by mrreality68; 04-17-2023 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:32 AM
Steve Birmingham

It's more than a bit nuts that a batter gets a time penalty call because it's his first game back in town after going to another team and the fans give him an ovation.

Just let the game be the game, it's getting silly.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:56 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It's more than a bit nuts that a batter gets a time penalty call because it's his first game back in town after going to another team and the fans give him an ovation.

Just let the game be the game, it's getting silly.
The Umpires have the right to use discretion in some situations, the Umpire made an error.
Old 04-18-2023, 01:39 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

I could be wrong, but I think the bottom line is MLB perceived Baseball as dying. I don’t think anyone woke up one day and said ,let’s just shorten the game for the hell of it. I think this is a Calculated decision to try to generate more interest and viewership , ergo revenue.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 04-18-2023, 02:08 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
The Umpires have the right to use discretion in some situations, the Umpire made an error.
In Philly, Jean Segura came back with the Marlins and got a nice, long ovation without a penalty assessed to him. The announcers mentioned that umpires were given some discretion in situations like that so I agree that the umpire was wrong with Bellinger in LA.

Overall, I like the pitch clock and the pace of games now, but I have noticed that it is harder for replays to be shown which is a drawback. It also isn't clear to me when the clock starts between batters or if that is happening consistently, but maybe allowing a little more time between batters would allow more replays especially when something strange or interesting happens.

I also agree that some of the replay reviews take way too long. I know they want to get the call right, but it's hard to believe if it takes more than a minute to review a play that there is really a clear call that can be made in either direction. I thought there was a time limit for a review to happen in, but that doesn't seem to be enforced at all, I guess because they can't figure out how to penalize the replay umpire.
Old 04-18-2023, 03:49 PM
Bob C.

Default And maybe more upcoming rule changes?

These could be some more new rules taking effect in the next couple years as well.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/spor...185213116.html
Old 04-18-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
These could be some more new rules taking effect in the next couple years as well.

I actually like the pitch clock...makes games feel like they did when many of us started watching baseball.

These rules, though, not sure I quite see the point. Designated pinch runner? Doesn't really seem like something needed. Who's asking for this?

With pitcher disengagements, the limit to 2 seems positive so far, but probably needs more time to see how it effects the game before we change it again.

And tying DH to pitcher hitter innings pitched seems like a real stretch, especially after just recently going to universal DH.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:31 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post

And tying DH to pitcher hitter innings pitched seems like a real stretch, especially after just recently going to universal DH.
This one makes no sense to me, if a pitcher gets bombed and pulled after 2 or 3 innings, his team loses the DH, thereby lessening his teams chances for a comeback. Also, what if a pitcher throws a lot of pitches before he finishes his 5 innings, he decides to push himself and hurts his arm?

I like the pitch clock but this one goes too far.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:14 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
This one makes no sense to me, if a pitcher gets bombed and pulled after 2 or 3 innings, his team loses the DH, thereby lessening his teams chances for a comeback. Also, what if a pitcher throws a lot of pitches before he finishes his 5 innings, he decides to push himself and hurts his arm?

I like the pitch clock but this one goes too far.
Agree to it all now the teams really must figure out their version of clock management

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 04-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the bottom line is MLB perceived Baseball as dying. I don’t think anyone woke up one day and said ,let’s just shorten the game for the hell of it. I think this is a Calculated decision to try to generate more interest and viewership , ergo revenue.
After years of lengthening the game by making it "more entertaining" with every player having their own music, etc.

There should be a way without the silly micromanaging pitch clock. With it baseball will be poorer.

Spring baseball where pitchers and batters worked a bit more briskly to keep warm is enjoyable, as is August baseball where everyone moves a bit more slowly because 90+ in both temp and humididty isn't fun.

As much as the kids hate stuff that takes time, Imagine a game with no Mark Fidrych or Al Hrabosky,
Without Nomar and his admittedly over the top glove routine, bus also without Fisk and his Using the bat to help stretch.

Without a fast working pitcher pointing at the plate demanding the batter hurry up and get in the box. Or Jim Kaat sort of quick pitching in an already fairly fast era.

Without coaches going through elaborate sign sequences, when the real sign to steal might actually be a bench player moving his cap....

Antiseptic rushed baseball is colorless and less interesting.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:03 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
After years of lengthening the game by making it "more entertaining" with every player having their own music, etc.

There should be a way without the silly micromanaging pitch clock. With it baseball will be poorer.

Spring baseball where pitchers and batters worked a bit more briskly to keep warm is enjoyable, as is August baseball where everyone moves a bit more slowly because 90+ in both temp and humididty isn't fun.

As much as the kids hate stuff that takes time, Imagine a game with no Mark Fidrych or Al Hrabosky,
Without Nomar and his admittedly over the top glove routine, bus also without Fisk and his Using the bat to help stretch.

Without a fast working pitcher pointing at the plate demanding the batter hurry up and get in the box. Or Jim Kaat sort of quick pitching in an already fairly fast era.

Without coaches going through elaborate sign sequences, when the real sign to steal might actually be a bench player moving his cap....

MLB tried a couple years ago, telling players and Umpires to keep the game moving, that approach didn't work.

Baseball was fine when there was 1 Mike Hargrove, but when there are 25 Mike Hargroves on a team, something needs to be done.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:43 AM

Yes, it's worth calling out that when most of those things mentioned, many of which were entertaining, games were SIGNIFICANTLY shorter when they happened than they were in recent history.

Maybe tweaks will be required to let personalities come out, but I'd guess they'll come out anyway...it's just a bunch of milling about that's been cut out.

Last edited by Mike D.; 04-19-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:32 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

I don't understand the point of these new rules that will be tried in the Atlantic League and would be very surprised if they are eventually added to MLB.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:03 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I don't understand the point of these new rules that will be tried in the Atlantic League and would be very surprised if they are eventually added to MLB.
I'm with you Jay, but this is apparently one of those places where MLB likes to start and try out these new rules, before eventually/potentially adopting them for MLB play.

The one about losing your DH if your starter doesn't make it to the 5th inning had me particularly SMH. Besides really making absolutely no sense at all, I can already see the complaints about possible issues and exceptions if that were to become a new rule, like what if the starting pitcher gets hurt and has to leave the game, or there is a rain delay and it takes so long the starters can't come back for fear of potential injury, and so on.

Also, the one about a pitcher having to face at least three batters is an interesting concept, and does seem to combat the notion of overly specializing certain pitchers. But then also putting in a different rule to allow designated pinch runners seems to totally counter that de-specialization effort, and re-introduces even more specialization again. The way this is all going, I wonder how many years it may be till MLB becomes more like the NFL, where you have a roster of people to play in the field, but then a totally different roster of players that just bat. Don't laugh, as dumb as that may sound, how much you want to bet that idea hasn't been at least raised once or twice in MLB circles at some point?
Old 04-19-2023, 05:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I don’t wanna watch a game to quickly get through it, I wanna watch it to enjoy it.

A huge part of the beauty of virtually every game are the dramatic face-offs between pitcher and slugger - situations where the outcome of the game can be dramatically turned. Those instances (even during a game in the first week of a new season) are always stage-worthy, dramatic events that get your blood flowing, get you praying to the heavens for either a big hit or a big strikeout...but now it’s been bastardized into some sort of bizarre 'speed-dating' ridiculousness. If you sneeze, the moment passes you by and on to the next inning we go.

I want the batter in a clutch situation to step out of the box, take his time assessing what he thinks the pitcher’s approach is going to be. After seeing a pitch, taking a few moments to adapt his thinking, since it is a thinking man’s game. I want the pitcher and the catcher going back in forth in a debate of what’s the right pitch to tosss. If it takes too long, I want the tension to make the batter call time and step out. I want the big build-up in these situations...even though basic math tells you the odds of it ever working out for the batter are extremely low...but sometimes Mazeroski, Dent or Chambliis plants one into the seats and makes the masses scream in excitement!!!!!!!

I want that excitement. I want the version of baseball where there’s a multitude of things to think about in every situation on the diamond. I don’t want to get it over with quickly, so I can get off of the couch a little sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:06 AM
Tom S

I wouldn’t be surprised if after the season MLB decides ”We shortened the games so much, maybe we can slip in an extra few minutes of commercial time. Cha Ching!”.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:09 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:

I looked up Mark Fidrych's game times in 1976 when he pitched exactly 9 innings:
5/15 1:57, 6/11 2:28, 6/16 2:08, 6/24 2:31, 6/28 1:51, 7/3 1:54
7/9 2:03, 7/20 2:39, 7/29 1:52, 8/7 2:10, 8/11 2:22, 8/25 1:48
9/7 2:19, 9/21 2:00, 9/28 1:48, 10/2 1:46

Fidrych worked very fast, yet he somehow found time to talk to the ball and fix the dirt on the mound.

It's the dead time that's getting taken out. Batters stepping out of the box and walking in a big circle around home plate after every pitch. Catchers coming out to the mound every other pitch for a meeting. Pitching coaches running out to the mound twice an inning.

No other sport had the number and types of interruptions baseball had. Personally, I blame those Yankee teams with Jeter and Posada. It was like every pitch required a team meeting before being thrown. There was just nothing like a 4 hour Yankees / Red Sox Sunday night game in July on ESPN. Ugh.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:54 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default Went to the game in SF last night

I have to confess that I enjoyed having the pitch clock. There were a couple of violations, which added a minute each time as the managers came out to fuss about it. But overall, it really moved. Time between pitches was probably about 10-15 seconds. In some ways, the game seemed a lot less cerebral. No time to think - hurry up and pitch. Here it comes - hit it if you can! Better swing while you still can, or your at-bat might be over before you even settle in.

I do think that in some ways, it also means that when the situation gets tense and exciting, it gets resolved quickly. So there’s less build and tension and lingering over key moments. Instead it’s hurry up and get moving! But overall, I’m definitely in favor of the change.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 04-27-2023 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2023, 04:57 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

still some yick ups but after almost a month of games and some interesting episodes it appears that the batters and pitchers are getting used to it

IT adds to some of the strategy and stolen bases are up so we have some more small ball going on

Overall it is working

now if my team can live up to their expectations perhaps I can really enjoy it

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 05-17-2023, 09:01 AM
Tom S

Default pitch clock late 1970's

I enjoy listening to old radio broadcasts. During an Indians Brewers contest on June 4,1978 Mike Caldwell of the Brewers was pitching against Johnny Grubb of the Indians. There was a rule that the pitcher had 20 seconds from the time he receives the ball from the catcher to throw his next pitch.

Caldwell exceeded the time and Grubb was awarded a ball. Umpire Richie Garcia was at 2nd base with a stop watch.

Announcers Joe Tait and Herb Score proceeded to talk about the rule. A few minutes later a little bit of a humorous exchange between pitcher and home plate umpire.

The 1970's were great!

Begins at 32 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2FR...ballontheRadio
Old 05-18-2023, 02:35 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer brewster View Post
I enjoy listening to old radio broadcasts. During an Indians Brewers contest on June 4,1978 Mike Caldwell of the Brewers was pitching against Johnny Grubb of the Indians. There was a rule that the pitcher had 20 seconds from the time he receives the ball from the catcher to throw his next pitch.

Caldwell exceeded the time and Grubb was awarded a ball. Umpire Richie Garcia was at 2nd base with a stop watch.

Announcers Joe Tait and Herb Score proceeded to talk about the rule. A few minutes later a little bit of a humorous exchange between pitcher and home plate umpire.

The 1970's were great!

Begins at 32 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2FR...ballontheRadio
Wow vintage radio game. Very cool

and the information they knew and the stories they told. Love it

never realized they had a pitch clock in the 70's and 20 second rule wow

and it sounds like shuffling papers to find and read info

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for