NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2014, 09:00 PM

Default T206 vs t205

I like both sets but with limted money which set is better for under $100 cards and any hofers that sell within my budget

Thanks All

Last edited by Matvoo; 07-19-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:02 PM

Default t206

hands down
Old 07-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Default T206

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
hands down
Ageed, but that's kind of like asking Philip Morris "Cigarettes or chewing gum"!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Michael C

If you want to complete the set, T205.

T206 is only completed with big $$.

T206 cards look better in lower grade, but I still like the t205s better.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
If you want to complete the set, T205.

T206 is only completed with big $$.

T206 cards look better in lower grade, but I still like the t205s better.
Thanks all and I wish i could complete a pre war set but it seems impossible with being a 14 year old and not having enough money
Old 07-20-2014, 08:36 AM

Mostly going to pickup about $500 worth of t206/t205
Old 07-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Danny Gr|mes

As long as you look in the right spots you can find both sets including hofers in your price range. As far as t206 vs t205 its all preference. Which set do you like better? Theres a ton of variations in both sets. personally like the t206s. You have to way your options. I would start looking here on net54 for starters.

Regards
Danny

Last edited by refz; 07-20-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Barry Arnold

Default vs

great advice here.
best of luck in your quest,

barry
Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refz View Post
As long as you look in the right spots you can find both sets including hofers in your price range. As far as t206 vs t205 its all preference. Which set do you like better? Theres a ton of variations in both sets. personally like the t206s. You have to way your options. I would start looking here on net54 for starters.

Regards
Danny
Think I might have to buy one of each same grade and choose
Old 07-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Sean Costello

Matthew, start with the BST board right here on Net 54.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Matthew, start with the BST board right here on Net 54.
Yeah ive been looking in the bst side but cant choose
Old 07-20-2014, 02:02 PM

Yes finally someone else that's young and into vintage.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:03 PM

If money is tight, aim at completing team sets instead!

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matvoo View Post
Thanks all and I wish i could complete a pre war set but it seems impossible with being a 14 year old and not having enough money
You have many years ahead to worry about completing the set. Pick up some affordable commons for now and you'll have a good head start. When you're a little older and making money you can knock out the HOFers.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:32 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
It's awesome that you are 14 and trying to decide between T205 and T206! PM me your address and I'll send you a T206. It's not in great shape but it will get you started.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
Yes finally someone else that's young and into vintage.
Not that many of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
If money is tight, aim at completing team sets instead!
That may what i have to do but I want a lowend hof but might need to change my thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
You have many years ahead to worry about completing the set. Pick up some affordable commons for now and you'll have a good head start. When you're a little older and making money you can knock out the HOFers.

Good luck!
Yeah and should I get graded cards only right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
It's awesome that you are 14 and trying to decide between T205 and T206! PM me your address and I'll send you a T206. It's not in great shape but it will get you started.

Oh thank you so much pm sent
Old 07-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Matthew, one thing you will usually read from members is to "buy the card, not the holder ". To buy only graded is a personal choice. There are times you can find ungraded cards much nicer than graded examples, and the ungraded cards are a fraction of the price compared to a graded card. As mentioned, the BST ( buy sell trade ) section is a good place to look for cards. If you have any questions about a seller, email Leon and ask him if he can provide you with some feedback about the seller. I have emailed Leon before I have made purchases, and he has been a great resource for me. Have fun collecting!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Matthew, one thing you will usually read from members is to "buy the card, not the holder ". To buy only graded is a personal choice. There are times you can find ungraded cards much nicer than graded examples, and the ungraded cards are a fraction of the price compared to a graded card. As mentioned, the BST ( buy sell trade ) section is a good place to look for cards. If you have any questions about a seller, email Leon and ask him if he can provide you with some feedback about the seller. I have emailed Leon before I have made purchases, and he has been a great resource for me. Have fun collecting!
And how do u tell if a cards fake. Do u just start a thread on here asking?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I suggest doing some research by checking the archive section on this site. Do a google search for the t206 and t205 and educate yourself about the cards. The more you KNOW about what you want to collect, the less likely you are to buy a fake. Knowing the card dimension ( how tall and wide ) is a good thing to know. You can always enlarge the card image and get a ruler to measure the card, and know if it has been trimmed to improve the look of the card. Card dimension is a basic though. Fakes usually involve more expensive cards. Ebay is a great place to look at a lot of cards of the same player, of the same issue. Pick a player in the 205 or 206, and just LOOK at all of the cards that search pulls in ebay. Take time to educate yourself and you will have lots of fun learning about the cards.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Train your brain Matt. Look closely at the hundreds of graded cards the members post on this site. You may want to buy some authentic beaters from the BST here, for reference... In a few weeks, you'll know a scam when you see it.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 PM

Default Matt...

ask anyone of us.....after a while, you'll spot a fake.....pm me anytime with any questions .....on T206(I'm no t205 expert,)....but literally obsessed with T206....

TO ALL THE YOUNGER MEMBERS:

you guys are just ahead of the game....most of your peers collect the new stuff, the will eventually collect vintage....that's what happened with me and many of us......you just realized early!!

T206 are the greatest

Peace

Johnny
Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the tip guys
Old 07-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Zach

Quote:

Didn't you just get your first T206 last week and now you're giving them away?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Bill Gregory

Matthew, it's great that you're so young and getting into pre-war baseball cards. If you have friends in the hobby, you might encourage them to check them out, too. Vintage and pre-war cards are a lot of fun to collect.

I will give you the same advice I'd give to anybody first starting out. You want to start out figuring out what you like. You've done that to an extent by narrowing it down to T205 and T206 cards.

Before you start buying your cards, there are a few things every collector should have.

1. You need a magnifying glass or a jeweler's loupe. There are ones made with a light source. That's nice to have if you're at a show where the light quality may vary. But you want something with at least 10 x magnification.

2. You want a black light. Why? A lot of alterations will show up under black light. If somebody has used a marker to make a black edge look better (example 1971 Topps cards), you'll see that with the black light in a dark room. If somebody has repaired a card, ie added paper to the card where there was paper loss, that will show, too. Between the loupe and the black light you're going to be able to see the vast majority of alterations that might be made to a card.

3. You also want a ruler to measure cards. One thing to keep in mind with pre-war and even vintage cards-there may be a little variance in the size of a card. And that doesn't necessarily mean that a card has been altered. It's good to give you a baseline.

Here are a couple great guides you want to read, written by David Cycleback, who is a member of our forum. I'm going to link articles that talk about uv and black light.

Next, here's something you want to read, also by David Cycleback. It's a book about Judging the Authenticity of Early Baseball Cards. I bought this book on Amazon, though David makes it available on his website. I like having the option to take the book with me wherever I go. That's something I strongly recommend reading.

The other thing I highly recommend having is a common card for whatever set you plan on collecting. If you decide that you want to start collecting the T206 set, make sure to get a common T206 from a trustworthy source (the members of this forum are a great bet. Also, there are many trustworthy dealers, names that you will get used to using as you build your collection. Anyway, once you get that base T206 card, take out your loupe/magnifying glass and your black light. Look that card over, first in ambient light, then under black light (in the darkest room possible). Look at the edges of the card, feel the paper stock, look at the printing. You need to learn how T206 cards were printed. Once you understand that, you'll begin to look for the black border of the T206 card, and see where you might have a color bleed outside of the border. If the card has any heavy fraying, look at the card stock. You might even take a single-edge razor blade, and cut along the edge. Why? Because one of the things you have to be on the lookout for as a pre-war collector is trimming. Unscrupulous people will take a single-edge razor to a card with rounded corners, and trim some of the side off to give the card a cleaner edge, and sharper corners. By slicing your card on one edge, you can compare what a factory cut edge looks like under magnification, and then what a trimmed edge looks like. If you see a T206 card with uneven corner wear, there may have been some trimming.

The most important thing you can do as a pre-war collector is to handle the cards you want to collect. Look at them any chance you get. If there's a vintage or pre-war card show happening in your area, or if there's a card dealer that sells vintage, go and look at the cards. I'm not kidding when I say that I pulled my first ungraded card out, and smelled it, felt it between my fingers. The more you look at these cards up close, the safer you will be. Once you've handled these cards for a while, and you feel comfortable with the set, then you can start looking at some of the more expensive cards. And when you buy those, take scans/pictures of them, and have the members of our forum look at them for you if you have questions.

Maintain a healthy skepticism. Always keep your eyes open. Trust your instincts. If something looks off, or feels off, ask us to help you out. Buy from forum members and trusted dealers. By doing these things, you greatly reduce the likelihood that you're going to be taken advantage of.

Most of all, have fun!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 07-20-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Bill Gregory

Hmm, not sure why that double posted.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 07-20-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:43 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
Didn't you just get your first T206 last week and now you're giving them away?
I've already bought quite a few and have some duplicates..... and I knew how fun it was for me to get my first card. Thought I would help Matthew get started on 206's instead of 205s.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 PM

Default Donnie.....

thought that was a great gesture on your part!.....that's the camradre amongst friends here usually.......when I read you sent that card, put a huge smile on my face.....kinda like reinforcement our hobby will continue strong with great people such as yourself......I salute you
Old 07-20-2014, 10:00 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
thought that was a great gesture on your part!.....that's the camradre amongst friends here usually.......when I read you sent that card, put a huge smile on my face.....kinda like reinforcement our hobby will continue strong with great people such as yourself......I salute you
I am glad to do it. Todd Marcum sent me a card right after a posted about getting started and getting the Lumley and I know how much I appreciated it so I wanted to pass it on. And to be 14 and getting a 100+ year old baseball card in the mail may just make the kids day.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Matthew, it's great that you're so young and getting into pre-war baseball cards. If you have friends in the hobby, you might encourage them to check them out, too. Vintage and pre-war cards are a lot of fun to collect.

I will give you the same advice I'd give to anybody first starting out. You want to start out figuring out what you like. You've done that to an extent by narrowing it down to T205 and T206 cards.

Before you start buying your cards, there are a few things every collector should have.

1. You need a magnifying glass or a jeweler's loupe. There are ones made with a light source. That's nice to have if you're at a show where the light quality may vary. But you want something with at least 10 x magnification.

2. You want a black light. Why? A lot of alterations will show up under black light. If somebody has used a marker to make a black edge look better (example 1971 Topps cards), you'll see that with the black light in a dark room. If somebody has repaired a card, ie added paper to the card where there was paper loss, that will show, too. Between the loupe and the black light you're going to be able to see the vast majority of alterations that might be made to a card.

3. You also want a ruler to measure cards. One thing to keep in mind with pre-war and even vintage cards-there may be a little variance in the size of a card. And that doesn't necessarily mean that a card has been altered. It's good to give you a baseline.

Here are a couple great guides you want to read, written by David Cycleback, who is a member of our forum. I'm going to link articles that talk about uv and black light.

Next, here's something you want to read, also by David Cycleback. It's a book about Judging the Authenticity of Early Baseball Cards. I bought this book on Amazon, though David makes it available on his website. I like having the option to take the book with me wherever I go. That's something I strongly recommend reading.

The other thing I highly recommend having is a common card for whatever set you plan on collecting. If you decide that you want to start collecting the T206 set, make sure to get a common T206 from a trustworthy source (the members of this forum are a great bet. Also, there are many trustworthy dealers, names that you will get used to using as you build your collection. Anyway, once you get that base T206 card, take out your loupe/magnifying glass and your black light. Look that card over, first in ambient light, then under black light (in the darkest room possible). Look at the edges of the card, feel the paper stock, look at the printing. You need to learn how T206 cards were printed. Once you understand that, you'll begin to look for the black border of the T206 card, and see where you might have a color bleed outside of the border. If the card has any heavy fraying, look at the card stock. You might even take a single-edge razor blade, and cut along the edge. Why? Because one of the things you have to be on the lookout for as a pre-war collector is trimming. Unscrupulous people will take a single-edge razor to a card with rounded corners, and trim some of the side off to give the card a cleaner edge, and sharper corners. By slicing your card on one edge, you can compare what a factory cut edge looks like under magnification, and then what a trimmed edge looks like. If you see a T206 card with uneven corner wear, there may have been some trimming.

The most important thing you can do as a pre-war collector is to handle the cards you want to collect. Look at them any chance you get. If there's a vintage or pre-war card show happening in your area, or if there's a card dealer that sells vintage, go and look at the cards. I'm not kidding when I say that I pulled my first ungraded card out, and smelled it, felt it between my fingers. The more you look at these cards up close, the safer you will be. Once you've handled these cards for a while, and you feel comfortable with the set, then you can start looking at some of the more expensive cards. And when you buy those, take scans/pictures of them, and have the members of our forum look at them for you if you have questions.

Maintain a healthy skepticism. Always keep your eyes open. Trust your instincts. If something looks off, or feels off, ask us to help you out. Buy from forum members and trusted dealers. By doing these things, you greatly reduce the likelihood that you're going to be taken advantage of.

Most of all, have fun!
Thanks very important info
Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I've already bought quite a few and have some duplicates..... and I knew how fun it was for me to get my first card. Thought I would help Matthew get started on 206's instead of 205s.
Yeah Im still so happy!!! I may have to take a pic of me holding the card when I get it
Old 07-20-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I am glad to do it. Todd Marcum sent me a card right after a posted about getting started and getting the Lumley and I know how much I appreciated it so I wanted to pass it on. And to be 14 and getting a 100+ year old baseball card in the mail may just make the kids day.
Exactly. Not that many teenagers like vintage and sorry about not quoting all
Old 07-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Adam Napolitano

Quote:
Exactly. Not that many teenagers like vintage and sorry about not quoting all
I know what you mean I'm 19 and just started collecting the t205 set and have only about 50 cards and not one of my friends is even interested in baseball cards
Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy1525 View Post
I know what you mean I'm 19 and just started collecting the t205 set and have only about 50 cards and not one of my friends is even interested in baseball cards
Exactly no friends of mine collect
Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 AM

Well I'm 17, so now we have 3 teenagers collecting vintage at least