NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2004, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Default Grading

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

In 1984 Beckett offered the following grades for baseball card assessment: Mint, Excellent, Very Good, Good anf Fair.

More recent grades offered include: Pristine, Gem Mint, Mint, Near Mint-Mint, Excellent-Mint, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair and Poor. Some add vg/ex and fine.

As card prices rise, the justification for increased grade breakdowns becomes more apparent. The potential for today's GAI 9 being tomorrows GAI 8.8 (or 9.2) exists.

If the course cited above continues, some think that it is better to implement all grading changes now rather than continue to build a population of cards which will eventually need to be reslabbed.

Do you think that fractional grades are a definate eventuality?

Old 09-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Default Grading

Posted By: jamie

beckett's 1984 grading system was based purely on 'raw' cards. you cant make the comparison at all.

Old 09-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Default Grading

Posted By: Judge Dred

The inconsistent "human" subjective nature of people grading cards will render any grading scale useless regardless of whether or not the grading companies go to a fractional grading scale or even if they all come together to create an industry standard.

It's like they say, if you build something idiot proof they will build a better idiot. In grading terms if you make a standardized grading scale they'll find a way to deviate.

I'm not against grading, I just don't agree with a lot of the grades I've seen on encapsulated cards. If a card is encapsulated at least it is protected (unless you get a grading company that does a sloppy job of sealing the cards in place, but that never happens).

The truly sad part about grading is that a lot of people will base their valuation of a card on the grade shown on the grading label. I've seen enough leniently graded cards to know that depending upon someone elses opinion is kind of foolish, especially in the case of high ticket items. I'd rather see a card in person or I'd rather see high resolution scans to make my own determination - time for me to shut up.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default Grading

Posted By: the Monus Lisa

Unfortunately, it has become almost mandatory to have a top notch vintage card graded because of the fraudulent material out there. The authentication alone by a respected company is a major plus for the card-and after that, I feel you must take a closer look at the card and make your own appraisal because of the 1-3 point swing in grades. So, my own grading system is: 1-mangled 2- creased 3-nice looking 4-way sharp 5-like new.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default Grading

Posted By: Hal Lewis

because it goes up to 11.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Default Grading

Posted By: tML

Here is my grading system Hal:
1-challenged
2-creased but looks like a 4
3-eye candy
4-near to perfection
5-monus lisa
------------------------------------
-1-GrandpaGift
-2-Estate Sale
-3-Found in Old Toy
-4-Attic Find
-5-Getting Married Cards Gotta Go

Old 09-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default Grading

Posted By: warshawlaw

0: a total piece of crap but real
1: crappy
2: pretty crappy
3: just a little crappy
4: not crappy at all
5: show me the love
6: Uecker(just a little outside)
7: old-timers' mint
8: about as nice as you can afford, monkeyboy!
9: really, can you tell the difference between this and an 8? I can't but I have to justify my $h**y job.
10: how many angels can dance on the head of a pin and other silliness