NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM
David Herrell

Default Need a little help with a cool estate sale find

I picked this up at a local estate sale. Outside of the obvious (Johnson & Foxx) are any of the signatures on here rare or valued? Can anyone make out who signed above Walter Johnson on the sweet spot?

Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Andrew

I can see sam rice and jimmy dykes from what i can see
Old 09-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Danny Gr|mes

looks like joe cronin under joe judge?

Last edited by refz; 09-26-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:59 PM
David Herrell

After some research it seems to be mostly a multi-year Senators ball with some extras. Johnson stopped playing in 1927 and Joe Cronin started with Washington in 1928, yet they're both present. And, of course, Jimmie Foxx never played for the Senators.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Dan Bretta

Okay, since it was an estate sale find I got to ask..How much?

Was it an auction or tag sale?

Great score!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 PM

Muddy Reul and Sam Jones are nice ones.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 PM
David Herrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Okay, since it was an estate sale find I got to ask..How much?

Was it an auction or tag sale?

Great score!
Unfortunately it was at a upscale auction house. They didn't know exactly what they had, but knew enough to put it in the display case. Enough knowledgeable buyers go there that a few knew it was a good ball, so I didn't get the steal of the year or anything.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 PM

Thats a light Heinie Manush on the sweet spot above Johnson FYI. None of the others add to the value any, your money is in the Johnson and Foxx despite some additional nice names. Probably an $800-$1250 ball so a nice pickup for sure.

Rhys Yeakley
Old 09-27-2011, 05:19 AM
David Herrell

I was thinking $1000-$1500, but yes, in that ballpark.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:28 PM
David Herrell

Just a little bump to show what I picked up 6 days after I picked up this ball (1931 Senators et al), also at an estate sale, for $22.50!

And, YES, that is a King of Pop signature as a bonus!

1966 Pirates

The best two sports items I've ever found at estate sales came within a week of each other. I'm sure it will be 6 more years before I find something else good.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Why do I never see this kind of stuff at estate sales/garage sales?? The only thing I ever find baseball related is 1988 cards!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Multi year ball using what appears to be the same pen seems a bit suspicous. Large auction house not knowing what they had also a bit strange.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 10-31-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:44 PM
David Herrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Multi year ball using what appears to be the same pen seems a bit suspicous. Large auction house not knowing what they had also a bit strange.
If you say so. The JSA guy liked it when he authenticated it. It's from the multi-year 1931. I never said "large" auction house. I said "upscale." In other words, they don't sell boxes of Avon and old bald tires. That said, they don't sell a lot of 1930's signed baseballs either. However, please carry on with your conspiracy theory.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Ben L

I know nothing about autographs but in "iwantitiwinit"'s defense, you did say the following in an earlier post -

"After some research it seems to be mostly a multi-year Senators ball with some extras. Johnson stopped playing in 1927 and Joe Cronin started with Washington in 1928, yet they're both present. And, of course, Jimmie Foxx never played for the Senators."

So you yourself referred to the first ball as a multi-year ball. Not sure why you are upset that he referred to it as such.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Scott

First, how do you find cool stuff like that in Estate sales? WOW> Second, how do you know thats Michael's sig? that would be when he was VERY young, and couldn't write yet and just print?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:04 PM
David Herrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
First, how do you find cool stuff like that in Estate sales? WOW> Second, how do you know thats Michael's sig? that would be when he was VERY young, and couldn't write yet and just print?
I was kidding about the "Michael Jackson signature." I'm sure it was written by some kid at a much later date. Perhaps a kid with the same name or perhaps a kid who loved Thriller. Who knows?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Wasn't spouting any conspiracy theory, just pointing out something I thought was interesting from looking at the photos of the ball and I would think an auction house would research items better to extract the most dollars possible. I hope you make 10x your money, not hoping you anything but the best.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:27 AM
David Herrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Wasn't spouting any conspiracy theory, just pointing out something I thought was interesting from looking at the photos of the ball and I would think an auction house would research items better to extract the most dollars possible. I hope you make 10x your money, not hoping you anything but the best.
No problem. Thanks. I paid too much to get 10x my money unfortunately. I'd be happy with 4x!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The original baseball shown also has a Buddy Myer on it.

Charles Solomon "Buddy" Myer (March 16, 1904 – October 31, 1974) was an American second baseman in Major League Baseball from 1925 to 1941. An excellent hitter, he batted .300 or better in eight full seasons, and retired with a career average of .303. He walked more than twice as many times as he struck out. Apart from a brief period with the Boston Red Sox in 1927–28, he spent his entire career with the Washington Senators.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...