NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Default Will the E94 bubble ever burst?

Posted By: tbob

The prices for George Close E94s are becoming interesting to say the least. The high prices seem to not have abated recently. I thought more lower and middle condition cards would come out of closets, attics and collections based on the high prices they have been fetching on ebay and elsewhere, but they have really dried up. Just a couple of years ago I felt fortunate to sell an Evers in PSA 4 for $375, now it would be close to four figures.
It appears that the E98s are starting to benefit from a coat-tail effect as the prices on E98s have also started to soar. I knew how tough the E94s were, but E98s have really begun to take off. I haven't seen the same appreciable increase in E93s and E97s, although the prices have certainly increased for them.
Any thoughts?

Old 05-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete in MN

from my experience, e97's have always been kinda high, long before e94's were. but they have gotten out of hand...I think most people are holding onto them expecting them to keep soaring, like the nasdaq way back when?! I only have 3 e94's and they're just commons, but I paid $5 each for them. I think most, if not all caramel cards will continue to increase pretty steadily as they are much rarer and unique than most tobacco. Just one mans opinion.

pete in mn

Old 05-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

don't encourage the crowd . I have not seen the noticeable jump as you have suggested on the e94s and e98s but maybe we are looking at different cards. There are a few new collectors that is driving up the prices again, but it seems like once they get those cards...prices go back down. Scott recently had a few e98 hof'ers at very reasonable prices (I thought) that did not end up selling.

Same case with e97s, once those "common" cards are acquired those premium prices go down. PSA4/SGC50 commons for $400+...GEESH! That's insane.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Bob.
Look for ALL caramel cards to come way down.
They're just plain overpriced right now in my opinion.

As quan said...already some caramels aren't selling for what they were a couple of months ago.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

for the last 3+ years I've been collecting caramel cards and other fellow collectors have been telling me they are getting too pricey or overpriced and it cannot continue like this. I'm still waiting for the down-swing and hope you're right.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I really doubt you will see prices come WAY down. You may see something of a correction, but it won't be anything major. The cards are just too rare, relative to t-cards, for them to drop much in price. And with a solid core of collectors in place now, you won't see the price drop much since people will start viewing them as a good deal and scooping them as an "investment" to flip in the near future when the market picks up again.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Well Quan.
If you're talking about e90 joe jacksons and e94 wagners in ex-mt condition. No...there will never be a down swing in my opinion.

But lowgrade e98s are not that rare. Maybe some people will figure that out and lose interest eventually.

You're right though. We all have stories of how little we paid for an E95 in EX 3 years ago.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Look for the prices for E cards to go down and the prices for T cards to go up. I agree with Robert completely.

I think the main reason why prices for caramel cards will start going down is because there are so few high grade examples. Some collectors only want to collect really nice sharp vintage cards and the crusty caramel cards just don't fit the bill. By way of contrast, Legacy just sold a bunch of high-grade T206 cards on ebay. Those cards graded PSA 8, 9 and 10 were in super nice and sharp and will always appeal to more people.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Anybody have an E94 "Old" Cy Young they want to sell?

Old 05-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

I was looking at a nice Wagner card on ebay and all of the sudden it disappeared. Darn. I really needed the green one too.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Who would want an old green card of Hans?

Old 05-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

There may be a very slight correction but I agree with one poster who says there is now a hard core of caramel card collectors out there and will be in the future. The scarcity of the caramels is the key. Tobacco card collectors used to thumb their nose at caramel cards, now it is the other side laughing.
You might see some E98s selling for reasonable prices or fairly low but I am sure not seeing them. Maybe they are getting BINed before I see them.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Yeah.
I guess I feel that if we pretend that e98/e94s are easy to come by, then others might lay off of them.

Edited to say: Tbob doesn't miss anything on ebay!