NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-20-2021, 09:25 PM

Default 1953 topps raw Mickey Mantle

Just purchased a 1953 topps raw Mickey Mantle off eBay. I’m going to submit this card to get graded. I’m hoping it gets at least a 3. The more I look at the left corner I’m concerned it may have been recolored and may come back alter, authentic. Would love your guys feed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 09:27 PM

Also I don’t have the card in my possession yet to visually inspect. Only the pics from the seller

Old 02-20-2021, 09:32 PM
Scott Levy

It is always much more difficult to assess scans than in hand. Not an expert on 53s, but the bottom border in the red box just seems a little wonky. Haven’t seen too many cards that sport a pink-like coloration at the bottom border.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:35 PM

I appreciate the response Scott. I was thinking the same after looking at other 53 Mantles

Old 02-20-2021, 09:58 PM
John Rom

I was watching that on eBay as well - the seller put in the description evidence of recolor. In zooming in it has definitely been touched up and should get a grade of altered. Still a beautiful card.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:06 PM

Thanks swinghard. I let my impulse get the best of me. Probably going to pull out of this purchase before seller ships

Old 02-20-2021, 10:57 PM
Justin

On what grounds are you going to pull out of the transaction?
I do not believe they accept buyers remorse any longer as reason for returns on cards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2021, 05:03 AM
Rob Fig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrdogg24 View Post
Thanks swinghard. I let my impulse get the best of me. Probably going to pull out of this purchase before seller ships

That’s terrible. Seller calls out the issues with the card, runs an auction, received 48 bids and then you decide it’s not for you after winning........... Seller gets beat here in time and hassle.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:14 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNboy View Post
That’s terrible. Seller calls out the issues with the card, runs an auction, received 48 bids and then you decide it’s not for you after winning........... Seller gets beat here in time and hassle.
This is true.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:17 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

I agree with Jcosta what do you mean you are going to pullout of the transaction? If the seller disclosed it may have been recolored you can assume it was recolored. Why bid and why ask for opinions after the auction is over. Now you're going to back out after the auction is completed which screws the seller. No bueno.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 02-21-2021 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:21 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:

Bad form. Remind me to never sell you a card.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-21-2021, 06:24 AM
Scott Levy

Murrdogg,

I see that you’re new to the forum ... and perhaps to collecting vintage cards as well? We often argue that sellers on eBay do not properly disclose issues with the cards they list ... in this instance that appears to not be the case.

Ultimately, you will do as you choose, but it leaves a bad impression / negative opinion - when buyers back out of properly disclosed auctions ... because they later have second thoughts.

When I was younger I didn’t appreciate that the most valuable thing I had is a (hopefully positive) reputation, which should be protected at all times through my words and actions ... even when it meant taking a financial loss. Occasionally, I still mess up - but try to realize it and make things right quickly. I’d like to think that I have learned that lesson - and I’m hoping that in time you will too.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:02 AM
J@RR0D

I suppose you've done the same thing I recently did... saw a "good deal" on a card, only looked at auction pics on your phone, and quickly bid on it. Then after winning, looked at it on a laptop, read the full description which you missed on your phone and realize your impulse got the better of you.

I did this on a Rod Carew RC just a few weeks ago. When I viewed the completed listing on my laptop, I could then see the stain on the card that WAS disclosed in the description, which I overlooked. But I followed through on the deal, which is exactly what I think you should do.

Expensive lesson, but one that needs to be learned.

Last edited by scmavl; 02-21-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I suppose you've done the same thing I' recently did... saw a "good deal" on a card, only looked at auction pics on your phone, and quickly bid on it. Then after winning, looked at it on a laptop, read the full description which you missed on your phone and realize your impulse got the better of you.
I did this on a Rod Carew RC just a few weeks ago. When I viewed the completed listing on my laptop, I could then see the stain on the card that WAS disclosed in the description, which I overlooked. But I followed through on the deal, which is exactly what I think you should do.
Expensive lesson, but one that needs to be learned.
^^This X1000^^

To the OP if you do cancel the sale please post your eBay ID so a LOT of us can block you.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I suppose you've done the same thing I' recently did... saw a "good deal" on a card, only looked at auction pics on your phone, and quickly bid on it. Then after winning, looked at it on a laptop, read the full description which you missed on your phone and realize your impulse got the better of you.
I listed a '75 George Brett Mini a few weeks ago. First auction got bid up to $560, way more than I was expecting. Even though I had "Mini" as the 3rd word in the title, the buyer asked to cancel because he didn't realize it was a "Mini". I shook my head, canceled the sale and relisted the card, this time highlighting that this was a Mini in the description as well. Card sold again for $500. I messaged the buyer and reminded him he had won a Topps Mini. His reply was "Oh, thanks, I didn't realize that, but I'll take it anyway."

My thought was, I'm not dealing with collectors. I'm dealing with people who only saw Brett RC and maybe don't even know Topps makes Minis. Maybe they read an article about hot cards to buy now, something like that?

Maybe the same with this card. Buyers see 1953 Mantle and bid it up without even taking the time to really look at the cards or read.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:44 AM

I appreciate the feedback guys. I am new to the forum, and you’re right he did disclose this and if he didn’t then I would have a valid reason to pull out of this sell. I’m going to go through with with it and chalk it to lesson learned. I would hate if someone did it to me and ultimately I do try to do the right thing. Thanks again guys

Old 02-21-2021, 08:57 AM
J@RR0D

Good choice. Thanks for showing character.

There are many expensive lessons to be learned when collecting vintage cards, and I'm definitely still learning. But the most important thing is to not repeat them.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-21-2021, 10:37 AM

Thanks @scmavel

Old 02-21-2021, 10:50 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Cards View Post
I listed a '75 George Brett Mini a few weeks ago. First auction got bid up to $560, way more than I was expecting. Even though I had "Mini" as the 3rd word in the title, the buyer asked to cancel because he didn't realize it was a "Mini". I shook my head, canceled the sale and relisted the card, this time highlighting that this was a Mini in the description as well. Card sold again for $500. I messaged the buyer and reminded him he had won a Topps Mini. His reply was "Oh, thanks, I didn't realize that, but I'll take it anyway."

My thought was, I'm not dealing with collectors. I'm dealing with people who only saw Brett RC and maybe don't even know Topps makes Minis. Maybe they read an article about hot cards to buy now, something like that?

Maybe the same with this card. Buyers see 1953 Mantle and bid it up without even taking the time to really look at the cards or read.

Hahaha. I ALWAYS miss “mini” on the 75’s. I’ve done it like a half dozen times. I was getting a Yount RC for a signing and bought the mini. Realized before shipping but said aww screw it. I bought a regular and got them both signed. But $35 versus $4K is a big difference. I feel for the buyer on this but it’s disclosed. Hmmm

Last edited by Marchillo; 02-21-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:30 PM
Al Stein

I have a lot of respect for the posters here but just for the record, if anybody buys something from me on ebay or this site and realizes they are not buying what they thought they were, they should feel free to back out of the deal.

I am not selling cards to teach anyone an expensive lesson. And I want everyone to be satisfied with what they bought.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2021, 05:43 PM
Steve

Default Experience

Quote:
I appreciate the feedback guys. I am new to the forum, and you’re right he did disclose this and if he didn’t then I would have a valid reason to pull out of this sell. I’m going to go through with with it and chalk it to lesson learned. I would hate if someone did it to me and ultimately I do try to do the right thing. Thanks again guys
Perhaps a good way for some newbies to avoid this kind of collecting "trap" is to try to sell a few items on the bay, in addition to buying. You can quickly learn how many hassles and pitfalls exist for sellers compared to buyers, and thus realize that what seems a quick and easy way out for the buyer is actually a cheap and shady trick from the seller's perspective.