NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-01-2021, 09:13 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
Agreed. I tend to look for poorly photographed cards on ebay, as lots of people scroll right by a lackluster thumbnail. I've gotten some really good deals that way.
Normally I wouldn't quote myself, but a card just arrived today that 100% illustrates this. I saw this '52 Berk Ross Jackie on eBay, but it looked like it had been in a house fire. Very dark, not presentable at all. But then I looked at the back pic and noticed a clearer shadow line and realized it was just a terrible photograph. So I made a low offer and he took it, as I'd guess he hadn't had any offers yet.

Here is the card's listing photograph vs in-hand today.

[
Old 03-01-2021, 09:39 AM
Bob F.

Two rules for people in the card collecting/selling/investing hobby:

1) Snipe
2) Buy a scanner

Old 03-01-2021, 02:46 PM

Hey Wid--I am in total agreement with everything you described. Thanks
Old 03-01-2021, 06:27 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Who pays attention to the seller's grade on a card? I never do. i judge from the scans and ask about any creases. If the card arrives with a wrinkle back it goes as not as described.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-01-2021, 09:39 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Who pays attention to the seller's grade on a card? I never do. i judge from the scans and ask about any creases. If the card arrives with a wrinkle back it goes as not as described.
Speaking of, I bought a raw Aaron RC and just got the card in hand today, and it's obviously trimmed. No mention of that in the description, but the seller is being a d*** about a return - "It was sold as is, I described it as 'authentic,'" blah blah blah. He pretty clearly knew and was trying to be clever.

There's no way I get stuck with the card if I open a "not as described" return request, right?
Old 03-02-2021, 02:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Speaking of, I bought a raw Aaron RC and just got the card in hand today, and it's obviously trimmed. No mention of that in the description, but the seller is being a d*** about a return - "It was sold as is, I described it as 'authentic,'" blah blah blah. He pretty clearly knew and was trying to be clever.

There's no way I get stuck with the card if I open a "not as described" return request, right?
I'd open the case for sure.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-02-2021, 02:43 PM

Paypal is built to punish a seller like that. There's a 99% chance you'll be refunded for any reason you feel like. That's what's nice about being a buyer and using their service.

Last edited by packs; 03-02-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:14 PM
lu.c@s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Everyone on these forums has their opinion on graded cards, why they are in the hobby, yada yada yada. Everyone also knows how I stand. No graded cards. Not why I am in the hobby. I cracked out all my graded cards. No regrets. I can handle and enjoy my cards as I did as a kid. Guarantee my wife and daughter are sitting on a goldmine when I croak, and they know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer brewster View Post
Exactly, same here. I started collecting long before the graded card thing.I have maybe 50 graded cards in my collection. Am in the process of freeing them.

My collection also includes thousands of Game Programs, Books,yearbooks,Audio recordings. My wife never complains. IF she said "either the stuff goes or I go", I would miss her terribly.

None of my 4 kids have any interest in my collection. They don't want me to dispose my collection at some point. Just do what makes me happy and don't worry about the future. I plan on leaving instructions on how to disburse everything after I go to the Horizontal Hilton, swim with the fishes etc.
These posts have me thinking dark thoughts. My collection is small and almost entirely graded. I just picked up this Campanella with the intention of sending it to SGC, but it's so perfect and fun to hold in its natural state that I can't help but long to see my other cards this way. I just don't think I can bring myself to crack out things like my (very low grade) Goudey Ruth or Cracker Jack Wagner.

Still . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Campanella.jpg (72.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-03-2021, 10:16 PM
Matt Ferroni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutton Chop Yaz View Post
I just picked up this Campanella with the intention of sending it to SGC, but it's so perfect and fun to hold in its natural state that I can't help but long to see my other cards this way.
I can relate. I've had a stack of cards in just top loaders "waiting" to go out to PSA for a month but haven't pulled the trigger because every night I just enjoy flipping through them and admiring them. Nothing super high grade but a few off-base (Allstar, MVP, etc.) Mantles that I just love. Yes I am very curious what they will eventually grade and will probably pull the trigger at some point (although the new prices hikes are a B*) but for now can't quite pull myself to say goodbye to them for 8-12 months and yes come back in a bulky slab that's just not as fun to flip through a stack of.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:16 AM
lu.c@s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferronibc View Post
I can relate. I've had a stack of cards in just top loaders "waiting" to go out to PSA for a month but haven't pulled the trigger because every night I just enjoy flipping through them and admiring them. Nothing super high grade but a few off-base (Allstar, MVP, etc.) Mantles that I just love. Yes I am very curious what they will eventually grade and will probably pull the trigger at some point (although the new prices hikes are a B*) but for now can't quite pull myself to say goodbye to them for 8-12 months and yes come back in a bulky slab that's just not as fun to flip through a stack of.
Definitely. It's hard to feel like it's worth it when the wait is so long and the cards are great as they are.

Last edited by Mutton Chop Yaz; 03-04-2021 at 07:20 AM.