NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 03-08-2022, 03:14 PM

Default BP California

Hi FB Guys and Gals:

Not a member here as I cannot do scans but wondering why there has been no interest in the 1990 British Petroleum football card set. I have offered them in the Brockelman auctions and other places with little interest. Is that because they are only 30 years old, (fast becoming "vintage") not Topps or other gums?

These are all stars of the day and pictured without helmets so you can really see the way they are. In color of course.

I also have some FB materiel in the current Brockelman auction which do not seem to be getting much love. Hard for me to figure out as I like misc. FB as much as BB (especially under the current circumstances)

sealmark@surewest.net
Old 03-08-2022, 05:54 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmark View Post
Hi FB Guys and Gals:

Not a member here as I cannot do scans but wondering why there has been no interest in the 1990 British Petroleum football card set. I have offered them in the Brockelman auctions and other places with little interest. Is that because they are only 30 years old, (fast becoming "vintage") not Topps or other gums?

These are all stars of the day and pictured without helmets so you can really see the way they are. In color of course.

I also have some FB materiel in the current Brockelman auction which do not seem to be getting much love. Hard for me to figure out as I like misc. FB as much as BB (especially under the current circumstances)

sealmark@surewest.net
I have some of these but they aren't worth much. Probably a combination of being overproduced and just not a lot of demand for them

If you're interested in selling them I'd love to chat as I'm working on the set.

jeff
Old 03-08-2022, 06:56 PM

Default BP

Not "WORTH MUCh ? That is the problem with this "hobby". What is it "WORTH"

I could care less about "what is it worth" Would prefer to help a collector as we used to. Guess that does not mean much these days. FB board included.

Mark
Old 03-09-2022, 01:14 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Not "WORTH MUCh ? That is the problem with this "hobby". What is it "WORTH"

I could care less about "what is it worth" Would prefer to help a collector as we used to. Guess that does not mean much these days. FB board included.

Mark
OK how about I trade you your BP cards for my old scanner.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:25 PM

Default Scanner

Great idea Al. I will complete your set for free and do not want your scanner as I am 81 and technologically inept - and don't plan to change !

Who do you need ?

Mark
Old 03-09-2022, 04:34 PM
Jeff P

Happy to trade all day long! Or help a collector out. I agree that's the way the hobby works best.

You said you wondered why nobody wants your oddball football that you consigned. I was just trying to tell you that you are asking too much for them. When you consign something it IS all about worth.

jeff
Old 03-09-2022, 04:52 PM

Default BP

Jeff:

Let me know who you need and an address and I will send them to you gratis.

Mark
Old 03-10-2022, 02:01 PM

Default BP

Jeff:

Great to interact with you but...there is an apparent misunderstanding. When I consign I DO NOT assign an opening bid. Somebody else does that. It is totally out of my control and has worked well in the past.

Mark
Old 03-11-2022, 05:43 AM
Jeff P

That's a very fair point. Mark.

Another thought I had is that we all know football card prices have lagged far behind baseball traditionally. Perhaps that gap is closing at least somewhat given the hugely high prices that modern cards are commanding and some pretty sizeable jumps vintage HOFers and rookie cards have taken during the pandemic.

I'm wondering now that mainstream football has jumped considerably, whether we will see prices for oddball football sets and cards increase as for at least some HOFers and rookie cards, their mainstream cards may have become unaffordable for many collectors.

Bronko Nagurski is a great example. His rookie cards is now unobtainable by many. If you want a Bronko card from his playing days and can't afford a National Chicle, you're gonna need to turn to either his matchbooks, his dixie lids, his Pep Stamp, etc. which should drive up the prices of these oddball items over time.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 03-11-2022 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:06 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Jeff:

Let me know who you need and an address and I will send them to you gratis.

Mark
I'll dig up my list and see who I need. Thanks! What are you working on that I can send you some cards for as well. Would love to make this a trade. PM me when you can.

jeff
Old 03-14-2022, 11:19 AM

Default Bp ca

Nice offer Jeff but the only FB I am looking for would be the Betsy Ross UOP cards I am missing so....my gratis offer still stands. Not much of a collector any longer.

Mark
Old 03-19-2022, 02:08 PM

Default BP

Hello Jeff:
Package coming your way next week. May help with your BP set.

Please let me know you received them o.k.

Take care,

Mark
Old 03-20-2022, 06:36 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Hello Jeff:
Package coming your way next week. May help with your BP set.

Please let me know you received them o.k.

Take care,

Mark
You are so kind, Mark, and I appreciate it! I'll keep an eye out for more Betsy Ross cards for you as well.

jeff
Old 03-20-2022, 05:02 PM

Default Betsy Ross Bread

By the way Jeff the Betsy Ross I need are:

Hardy, Johnson, Kane, Ortez, Orvis, Polenski and Williams.

Thanks,

Mark