NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-06-2020, 07:03 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Snagged 2 High's this week. Down to out 14 more...then upgrades
Instead of being down to 14 left, I have about 14 of them

With just Shuba being the highest BV. Hopefully I will land a big one soon so that it's not always feeling like you're right at the starting gate (of such a lengthy venture)
Old 04-06-2020, 07:08 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post

With just Shuba being the highest BV. Hopefully I will land a big one soon so that it's not always feeling like you're right at the starting gate (of such a lengthy venture)
Hey but each 1, is a little over 1% closer!

Even with ebay bucks and coupons hi #s are pricey

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-08-2020, 03:18 AM

Quote:

What I have been doing is just keeping an eye on the best deals for the individual high numbers... just being patient. whenever I see one just pull the trigger (I know this was discussed before, and I think it's a good idea)

Also, i know there are some auctions coming up with some lots of 12 to 14 high number cards in them, I think these would be good buys if you can get a good deal on the lot. I know for me personally I need about 90 percent of the high numbers yet, and noticed there is rarely a card that I have in some of these lots.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:06 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Hi Jason, those "auction lots" (including the one for 40 highs) are just about past what each individual card would sell for! I'm not sure what to make of it.

Always try to keep an eye out for well priced ones, but many eyes are on them! Not to mention danman7 or whoever that "sells" the same high numbers each week...to the same buyer with FOUR feedback!

Old 04-11-2020, 11:17 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
What I have been doing is just keeping an eye on the best deals for the individual high numbers... just being patient. whenever I see one just pull the trigger (I know this was discussed before, and I think it's a good idea)

Also, i know there are some auctions coming up with some lots of 12 to 14 high number cards in them, I think these would be good buys if you can get a good deal on the lot. I know for me personally I need about 90 percent of the high numbers yet, and noticed there is rarely a card that I have in some of these lots.
That's what I've been doing with the high numbers too. Still waiting to snag a bigger name one.

Didn't see those auctions that you're referring to though?
Old 04-11-2020, 11:28 PM
J0hn H@rper

Milestone reached: now halfway through the set!

Latest additions were more commons/minors and some high numbers (up to 13 of those)

Name cards still remaining: Pafko, Spahn, and every meaningful high #.

Avg condition:

Low number big cards: 4.1
Low number commons: 2.5
High number commons: 2.6

Total cost: $4260. Total resale value: $5420

204/407
Old 04-12-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
That's what I've been doing with the high numbers too. Still waiting to snag a bigger name one.

Didn't see those auctions that you're referring to though?
One major auction going on right now that ends next Sunday, and another one coming up that starts May 15th. I know there are several lots of 1952 Highs. Like Ted mentioned very strong prices so far.

BTW, congrats on getting to the half way point!
Old 04-13-2020, 11:50 PM
J0hn H@rper

This is exactly the type of Mantle I'd ideally like to get (though I don't expect to actually land anything this nice) But it's so hard to pull the trigger at the moment, especially when it's pwcc or probstein. And I don't want to spend this much on one. Even with a price this good.

But if anywhere else was selling it, would have been very tempting

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-...d/383489552810

Last edited by cardsagain74; 04-13-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:32 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

And the highs just continue to evade me.

Had two on my list last night

one probably G, well oc sold in minutes BIN 79.99

Another psa 1. Centered $74 and change

Another with back damage over 100!

No relief in this environment!

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 04-15-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:27 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
Congrats on that high number just now. I decided just to go after that lot with Staley and Shantz. They had eluded me.

At this point I'm considering putting up pocket lint from the 1950s and seeing if that one guy bids it up
Old 04-20-2020, 07:44 PM
J0hn H@rper

Some new commons/minors, a couple high #s, and finally found the right Spahn.

That leaves just Pafko to pay attention to (for the low numbers).

I'm surprised that card has gotten so expensive in low grade. Sure it's going to be worth well more than a typical common (even as a beater), but 20-25 times seems pretty excessive.

224/407
Old 04-22-2020, 09:54 PM
J0hn H@rper

Three very experienced bidders shoving each other all over (in the final few seconds) to drive an already overpriced '52 T Billy Martin PSA 1 w/ a bullet hole up to $90?

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/13...p2047675.l2565

Old 04-23-2020, 06:47 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

People thinking it's a rare "gray back"

2 Highs last night

Bid $8 over average sales before sales tax implemented, lost by 8$

Other with terrible back damage went close to 60$

Old 04-23-2020, 07:41 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
People thinking it's a rare "gray back"
It looks like a white back to me? And PSA didn't designate it as a gray back
Old 04-23-2020, 07:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Three very experienced bidders shoving each other all over (in the final few seconds) to drive an already overpriced '52 T Billy Martin PSA 1 w/ a bullet hole up to $90?

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/13...p2047675.l2565

I'm not really all that surprised by the final price on that card as I have truthfully seen worse shaped cards go for similar or higher prices.

Tough card to find centered, (not saying it is centered, but I've seen a lot worse) tough/expensive card normally, it is slabbed and overall, despite the pin hole, it is not a bad card for someone on a budget.

Just my opinion, of course, but if I was still participating in U.S. auctions and our dollar was more equal/on par, I might have likely bid on that card as well?
Old 04-23-2020, 08:23 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I'm not really all that surprised by the final price on that card as I have truthfully seen worse shaped cards go for similar or higher prices.

Tough card to find centered, (not saying it is centered, but I've seen a lot worse) tough/expensive card normally, it is slabbed and overall, despite the pin hole, it is not a bad card for someone on a budget.

Just my opinion, of course, but if I was still participating in U.S. auctions and our dollar was more equal/on par, I might have likely bid on that card as well?
It still seems a bit off to me though, especially since that bidding at the very end didn't look like the typical budget-oriented collectors going after it.

Then I wondered if it was somehow a restoration project, but even though the corners/edges look great, the upper-left keeps it from being pristine.

I dunno. Maybe prices are inching up too.

This is what I got for mine in mid-March. It seemed like a more standard pretty good deal for set building....$102 for a typical 4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-...C/402134526736