NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD08 View Post
If SGC would authenticate at $8 per card they would flow with an influx of business. If they try to compete with PSA DNA at this time, they just will not make it in this market. PSA gives specials at times for $10 each, I have seen it and I expect they give a few high volume guys that price or better all the time. SGC MUST undercut that to really make this work.

Jason
SGC's website says standard authentication and slabbing will be $10 (with additional fees for "premium" signers and for oversized items).

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 02-03-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 AM
qu@n nguy3n

sgc currently have a deal for $8/card. psa/dna have $10 deals all the time. as a matter of fact i'm involved in one right now over at CU.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
sgc currently have a deal for $8/card.
Is this somewhere on their website? Don't see it. Thanks.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

Blair

I called SGC this week to see what 1000 card submission would cost and they thought anything less than $10 per card was unreasonable.

Jason
Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD08 View Post
Blair

I called SGC this week to see what 1000 card submission would cost and they thought anything less than $10 per card was unreasonable.

Jason
Hi Jason,

Looks like waiting until March will save you a couple grand!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 02-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Is this somewhere on their website? Don't see it. Thanks.

Cheers,
Blair
The deal is for submissions made in March, not February.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
The deal is for submissions made in March, not February.
OK - thanks!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
OK - thanks!

Cheers,
Blair
yes, contact earl (earlsworld here) for more info. i might take them up on the $8 deal for my private signing cards that i know are good. probably still gonna stick to psa/dna for the unknowns. even tho i don't know much i do have biases toward different alphabet guys
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Banned

yeah, nobody cares who actually looks at an autograph and authenticates it. , right? yeah, right. as long as you can get it authenticated for 8 dollars, who cares? that's why the hobby suffers, because people just want the cert, not accuracy. is there a lot of people ready to send in their autographs for 8 dollars and doesn't even know or care who is going to authenticate it. nice.

If you don't care who looks at it and authenticates it, then you get what you deserve. we have went from a system where educated, experienced dealers stood behind their autographs to general, anonymous companies slabbing autographs with unknown authenticators, which can then be sold by dealers who have no clue about autographs. we have taken 10 huge steps backward and people here who are laughing because they are getting a great deal couldn't care less because they were not serious autograph hobbyists in the first place. they are just looking for any company to cert it for 8 dollars, to heck with the accuracy and experience behind the person certing it. cert. cert. cert. cert. cert. cert. cert. cert. cert.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-04-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Banned

I know Mike N. thinks its funny, but dominos pizza tracker tells me who makes my pizza, Habib does.

think about it, Dominos tells me more about who makes my 12 dollar pizza, than psa or jsa tells me about who looks at and authenticates my 3000 dollar autograph. That should tell you something. More transparency and accountability in a 12 dollar pie than a babe ruth cut.

Who was Michael Root 3 years ago before jsa hired him? were people seeking him out asking for his opinion on autographs? was he some master authenticator? seems to me he owned an autograph store and was maybe well connected and brought in to generate sales, like almost all the other authenticators for abc and xyz corp.

The first two years he wasn't even listed on jsa's website even as an authenticator, wasn't listed at all. he was only listed this last year and all of the sudden he is head of authentication, displacing larry as the owner of that lofty title at jsa. larry must be peeved, even spence III is a regional manager now, a young man in his 20;s, a regional manager and head of authentication in florida, or what have you.

no need to put in twenty or thirty years anymore. anybody can put in 3 or 4 or 5 and be head of authentication and regional/world managers now.

I researched just boxing, not 100 different categories, just boxing for over 20 years, and after 10 years, i still did not feel qualified to opine on just boxing signatures.

but if 8 dollar authentications from a guy with 3 years experience (if he is the one even looking at your signatures at all) floats your boat then go for it.

It's not about getting it right or accuracy anymore, it's about getting the cert. people dont want a guys cert with 25 or 30 years experience if it means the name isnt pms or jv squad or sec. they would rather have a psa, jsa sgc cert from a newbie hired fresh off the street as long as it is slabbed and they get that precious cert. who cares if it is real.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-05-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 AM

Since you don't know who is the examiner, how can you comment on his or her amount and level of experience?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
I know Mike N. thinks its funny, but dominos pizza tracker tells me who makes my pizza, Habib does.

think about it, Dominos tells me more about who makes my 12 dollar pizza, than psa or jsa tells me about who looks at and authenticates my 3000 dollar autograph. That should tell you something. More transparency and accountability in a 12 dollar pie than a babe ruth cut.

Who was Michael Root 3 years ago before jsa hired him? were people seeking him out asking for his opinion on autographs? was he some master authenticator? seems to me he owned an autograph store and was maybe well connected and brought in to generate sales, like almost all the other authenticators for abc and xyz corp.

The first two years he wasn't even listed on jsa's website even as an authenticator, wasn't listed at all. he was only listed this last year and all of the sudden he is head of authentication, displacing larry as the owner of that lofty title at jsa. larry must be peeved, even spence III is a regional manager now, a young man in his 20;s, a regional manager and head of authentication in florida, or what have you.

no need to put in twenty or thirty years anymore. anybody can put in 3 or 4 or 5 and be head of authentication and regional/world managers now.

I researched just boxing, not 100 different categories, just boxing for over 20 years, and after 10 years, i still did not feel qualified to opine on just boxing signatures.

but if 8 dollar authentications from a guy with 3 years experience (if he is the one even looking at your signatures at all) floats your boat then go for it.

It's not about getting it right or accuracy anymore, it's about getting the cert. people dont want a guys cert with 25 or 30 years experience if it means the name isnt pms or jv squad or sec. they would rather have a psa, jsa sgc cert from a newbie hired fresh off the street as long as it is slabbed and they get that precious cert. who cares if it is real.
First of all, if you are paying $12 for a Dominos pizza, I understand why you think $8-10 for a slabbed card is ridiculously low. And who is 'Habib'?

Second, three years experience is quite a bit if you have the eye for it. If you don't have the eye for it, then 50 years is not enough. If you don't understand what I just said, then you don't have the eye.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
First of all, if you are paying $12 for a Dominos pizza...
I stopped at "Dominos."

That's when all credibility was lost.

* Disclaimer.

This posting was a joke. A tongue-in-cheek comment. No malice or harm was intended to Dominos Pizza or any participant in this discussion forum.

I provide consulting services for space-related autographs to James Spence Authentication, LLC (JSA) among other entities. The opinions posted here by me are my own and do not represent any entity for which I provide service.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Would you have still had that pizza even if Habib didn't make it? Why is that? How long has Habib been in the pizza business? Can he tell a frozen sausage from a fresh sausage?

Me thinks you still would have had that pizza because of the reputation and marketing of Dominos Pizza. Not because of Habib's knowledge of preparing the pie,or because of any aspect of his pizza making skills. Even though Dominos has served burnt pizzas, pizza with saliva as the secret sauce, as well as even completely lost orders, you still patronize their business.

It's because most of the time you feel you know what you are going to get, you are fine with their level of service and accept their error rate, and you are fine with their price point for the product you receive. Doesn't matter to you that it's Habib, it matters that it's Dominos.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
yeah, nobody cares who actually looks at an autograph and authenticates it. , right? yeah, right. as long as you can get it authenticated for 8 dollars, who cares? that's why the hobby suffers, because people just want the cert, not accuracy. is there a lot of people ready to send in their autographs for 8 dollars and doesn't even know or care who is going to authenticate it. nice.

If you don't care who looks at it and authenticates it, then you get what you deserve. we have went from a system where educated, experienced dealers stood behind their autographs to general, anonymous companies slabbing autographs with unknown authenticators, which can then be sold by dealers who have no clue about autographs. we have taken 10 huge steps backward and people here who are laughing because they are getting a great deal couldn't care less because they were not serious autograph hobbyists in the first place. they are just looking for any company to cert it for 8 dollars, to heck with the accuracy and experience behind the person certing it. cert. cert. cert. cert. cert. cert. cert. cert. cert.
If you care so much give Mike a call. He said if you want to know more about who is consulting he would be more than happy to tell you.

Call Mike, Maybe?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
we have went from a system where educated, experienced dealers stood behind their autographs to general, anonymous companies slabbing autographs with unknown authenticators, which can then be sold by dealers who have no clue about autographs.
When was this magical time when there was a system, where I can assume only real autographs were sold because only experienced dealers were selling them? I don't remember such a time.

There are still educated, experienced dealers who stand behind their autographs. Some of the very best post here regularly. Before PSA existed, there were anonymous companies certing autographs with unknown authenticators. Just as it was in the 80s, it is up to buyers to determine if what they purchase is real. I agree that too many blindly trust JSA and PSA/DNA, but those are the same people that have always blindly trusted LOAs of all stripes.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all