NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Dan,

Very impressive investigation! Also quite amazed by the quality of the work performed on those cards. Scary time to be a collector if what you truly seek is original and authentic material.

Greg
Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Dick- correct me if I am wrong, but on the memorabilia side of the board didn't you discuss you have a product that removes ink from baseballs, as well as one that removes creases from cards?
Barry, I can remove ink from baseballs- but I won't, this is my process, all that was ever intended was to remove a bad autograph- however as I said there is to "evil" out there, so why ??. I would be better to leave this alone, as far as my solvents for wrinkles, I have my chemistry from 16 years, nothing is sold, again if there is a crease with paper broken, the crease remains always. I never sold anything and never will. . My solvents are used for glue,tape,contact cement, indents, cards that are warped. NO CREASES thank you again Sir
Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

I'm just glad I don't seek to acquire the "finest examples extant" of a card.

The sea of mediocrity in which I swim feels a bit more warm and soothing today.

That said, I still trust no one.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKTOWLE View Post
I DON'T DO INK PERIOD . -
HUH?
SCD: Do you use a chemical process?
Towle: I’ve got various chemicals. I’ve got about 13 that I’ve developed. We’ve just finished an ink process for a very prominent dealer down in Florida where we’ve developed the process to take fountain pen ink off of cards. They were actually graded by two very reputable grading companies. They both passed grading. We were actually able to extract the ink. We’re working on ballpoint pen right now. But the fountain pen ink came out and the cards were graded, which obviously adds huge dollars to a card.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Dick, what's the biggest grade bump you have attained for someone, at least as far as you know?
Peter, I really don't know, but if you have a T205 that a "dealer painted all the corners to cheat a customer the card would be "A". If the card were to grade with the integrety in place above a "A" with now chipping on the corners that is truly a blessing for a customer because that would be the real grade. Most of my customers are collectors just tring to remove junk. Thank you Peter
Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Nice example Dick but perhaps you should have offered this one instead.

I just completed a Mickey Mantle rookie for another prominent dealer down in Florida. It had terrible stains on the back and we got the stains off. He said the card would probably get a “lock 8.” But it wouldn’t get it with the stains on it. He’s as happy as a bullfrog.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
HUH?
SCD: Do you use a chemical process?
Towle: I’ve got various chemicals. I’ve got about 13 that I’ve developed. We’ve just finished an ink process for a very prominent dealer down in Florida where we’ve developed the process to take fountain pen ink off of cards. They were actually graded by two very reputable grading companies. They both passed grading. We were actually able to extract the ink. We’re working on ballpoint pen right now. But the fountain pen ink came out and the cards were graded, which obviously adds huge dollars to a card.

Peter, thank you for the chance to respond just because I have a process, it does not mean I use this. I removed the fountian pen ink, however I decided I don't want to do ink, and I never did. The test was on this ink- it passed- The two cards that were done were test card- zero value- however again, my choice was not to do and I don't. thank you again
Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Barry Sloate

Dick- thanks for the response. Sorry if I misquoted you.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

So between October 7 2008 and today you changed your mind, eh?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nice example Dick but perhaps you should have offered this one instead.

I just completed a Mickey Mantle rookie for another prominent dealer down in Florida. It had terrible stains on the back and we got the stains off. He said the card would probably get a “lock 8.” But it wouldn’t get it with the stains on it. He’s as happy as a bullfrog.
Peter, you are correct, however we never received back a answer, it was a 5 as I try to remember, removing the stains, still maybe a 5??, Also we found out later the gentleman had passed away in November . thank you sir
Old 08-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
So between October 7 2008 and today you changed your mind, eh?
Peter, no matter what I say it is never correct with you. I am sure you are a highly respected person in the industry, but you may want to twist words. God allows people to change there minds, like I said without my hand on a bible, I did not pursue this even after the commons came back graded, not today but Oct of 2008. Thank you again.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

Not twisting anything Dick just asking how you reconcile your statement here that you don't do ink period with your interview where you were touting the results of your ink removal.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

"Stop the fight!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rocky146.jpg (12.4 KB, 185 views)
Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Paul

Dick,

I hope you will continue to post regarding your process and practice. Given some collectors' concerns about what you do, you are likely to be met with some measure of venom on public internet chatboards. I hope that this does not cause you to stop the dialogue. It is important for us as a hobby to understand the full extent of what is really going on out there.

Thanks again for your posts.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Dan,

Very impressive investigation! Also quite amazed by the quality of the work performed on those cards. Scary time to be a collector if what you truly seek is original and authentic material.

Greg
Aw shucks what's a little trimming and corner work among friends?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

According to VCP, the seller on the graded cards in Dan's investigative report is ebay id scottsusor.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Dick,

I hope you will continue to post regarding your process and practice. Given some collectors' concerns about what you do, you are likely to be met with some measure of venom on public internet chatboards. I hope that this does not cause you to stop the dialogue. It is important for us as a hobby to understand the full extent of what is really going on out there.

Thanks again for your posts.
T 206 Thank you for the kind words, I have already received many emails and even a phone call at my home in support what I do. PAPER WRINKLES, GLUED IN CARDS, GLUE ON CARDS, WAX AND GUM STAINS, INDENTS, TAPE, JUST GARBAGE ON A CARD. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT SUPPORT.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 AM

If the improvements are made to a card without disclosure and submitted for grading and gets a higher grade than it should be in its original state (and without a qualifer), it makes all the legitimate non altered graded cards the same as altered non detected graded cards..so how does that make it ethical?

Ricky Yo
Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Barry Sloate

Dick- I say this with all due respect, but "paper wrinkle" is another term for "crease."
Old 08-21-2009, 11:57 AM

I hate to single out this thread, because I think of this exchange with a bunch of other threads, but here goes......

Jerry Seinfeld: "What are we doing? ... What in God's name are we doing?"

Jason Alexander as George: "What."

Seinfeld: "What kind of lives are these? We're like children. We're not men."

Alexander: "No, we're not. We're not men."

Seinfeld: "We're pathetic, ya know that?"

Alexander: "Yeah, like I don't know that I'm pathetic."
Old 08-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Barry Sloate

Joe- you know you could have posted the same Seinfeld bit on the "America's Toughest Want List is Smoking Hot" thread and gotten a lot more mileage with it.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-21-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Joe- you know you could have posted the same Seinfeld bit on the "America's Toughest Want List is Smoking Hot" thread and gotten a lot more mileage with it.
I agree. There were so many times it could have been posted. And there are/were threads far more worthy of the bit.

Maybe it is a build up, or just the stifling heat, but this is when I was moved enough to post it.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Shawn England

Default Dan & Peter are trying to say

I think what both Dan & Peter are trying to say is that if my son takes one on my T206s and scribbles on it, that is unethical (because it has been altered). Then if I take the T206 and send it off to Towle and he removes the scribble, now two unethical alterations have been committed on one card! This would be a horrific and spine chilling scenario, and would really put a damper on our hobby...
Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Barry Sloate

Joe- it is stifling. I'm sitting here without air conditioning.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Paul

Quote:
I can't breathe when I leave my house or office. How do you tolerate being indoors without air conditioning right now? Seriously. It is unhealthy.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned

Wasn't it determined that having air conditioning is every American's right?

I'm sure Lichtman is paying for someone's AC somewhere.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Wasn't it determined that having air conditioning is every American's right?

I'm sure Lichtman is paying for someone's AC somewhere.
You think there aren't studies that prove that people who have air conditioning live longer then peope who don't?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
It's been a strange Summer here in Nebraska...we got down in the 50s last night...I don't think it's hit 70 yet today....and we just came of the third coolest July on record. I'm going to have to wear a jacket to tonight's baseball game and I don't think I've ever done that in August.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I can't breathe when I leave my house or office. How do you tolerate being indoors without air conditioning right now? Seriously. It is unhealthy.
Absolutely a right! What we need is a Cash for Condensors program!
Old 08-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Barry Sloate

I have A/C in the living room but never turn it on...people who know me know my eccentric behavior.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

When we were having trouble with our air conditioning a few weeks ago, instead of having it worked on, I met with a panel of government officials who counseled me about whether I even wanted to have it fixed. They made interesting points about whether it was worth continuing to have AC in our lives.

In the end, I decided the time had come to let it go. So now I'm sitting in front of a fan, sweating.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sure Barry

Quote:
I have A/C in the living room but never turn it on...people who know me know my eccentric behavior.
People that know you know you are cheap, cheap, cheap. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) So am I. BTW, I would beg to differ on the definition of a crease. Many in the hobby, myself included, think a crease goes through to both sides whereas as a wrinkle is only on one side. It's semantics but I have seen this definition more than once and adhere to it myself. regards
Old 08-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Rick P

A grateful nation expresses thanks for your sacrifice. We who enjoy the cooling breeze salute you.

I expect to see Soylent Green on the menu by Christmas.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Barry Sloate

Leon- I actually don't like A/C. I can't sleep with the windows closed and the noise it makes, I feel claustrophobic...and yes, the electric bill is higher too.

Edited to say there are light creases and heavy creases. Light ones are on the surface, heavy ones go through the paper. But when I wrote auction copy you can be sure I called a light crease a wrinkle.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-21-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Dick confesses to altering cards, Dan Markel makes a shocking post proving trimmed cards are being slabbed, and no one cares so we are joking about the weather? Oh well.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Barry Sloate

Peter- in all fairness we had 85 posts; maybe 8 are about the weather (which by the way has cooled off nicely in NYC in the last couple of hours).
Old 08-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Dan Markel's post, in my opinion, is extremely significant, and he put a great deal of effort into it, yet there is no reaction at all. We are not talking about stain removal or even wrinkles now-- we are talking about slabbing TRIMMED cards.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Peter- in all fairness we had 85 posts; maybe 8 are about the weather (which by the way has cooled off nicely in NYC in the last couple of hours).
Dan's post came in the AM and there have not been 85 posts since that time. However 85 would be a horrid turnout considering his revelation. Not that we did not know this was happening but to put forth definitive proof like this is impressive. Guess the weather in NYC is not the only thing that has cooled off.

Not Barry's fault for the OT posts on this thread. It is why this stuff will continue to happen and collectors will continue to add garbage to their collections, raw and graded. If those who collect lower grade material think this is not happening thus justifying their decisions to ignore what Dan has presented, guess again.

May not have happened on your T206 commons in 2 and 3 holders but maybe that T206 Cobb or Mathewson in similar grades have had some additional attention before you bought it. If that does not bother you, carry on.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Dan M, great stuff. You made me a bit nauseous, though. I feel fairly convinced that most of my high grade cards have been played with.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Dan Bretta

Jim Crandell is starting to look like Nostradamus. Great work Dan M.