NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2022, 12:18 PM

Default PSA Slabs (Crossover questions)

Hi everybody. I come from a trading card game background, and as a result PSA slabs are really the only ones that do it for me. I have been struggling finding a T205 Jimmy Collins in a PSA slab so during the REA auction this month I decided to buy a SGC graded copy instead with the plan to get it into a PSA slab.

Based on experience should I break this out and submit to PSA raw, or should I try "crossover grading", where I submit it in the SGC slab. I don't really care if it loses a point or two crossing over, mostly just care about eye appeal and want it in a PSA slab.

Any info from people with more experience would be great!
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T205 Collins.jpg (190.8 KB, 165 views)
Old 10-25-2022, 12:51 PM
Drew W@i$e

Crack and submit.

Last edited by parkplace33; 10-25-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:59 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Since you don't seem to really care about the grade, I'm not sure that there's a compelling reason to choose one option over the other.

About the only reason why you might not choose to crack and resubmit is if PSA returns it to you as having some flaw where they refuse to slab it. In that case, you might have preferred to keep it in the SGC holder.

Here's PSA's list of situations where you get that result:

The “No Grade” term is used when an item cannot be graded by PSA for a variety of reasons. For example, PSA will not grade items that bear evidence of trimming (N1), restoration (N2), recoloration (N3), questionable authenticity (N4), altered stock (N5) or cleaning (N7). In the event that PSA rejects an item for any of these reasons, it will be returned not encapsulated, however the full grading price is still charged, as the determination to reject a card requires review by PSA's authenticators and graders. PSA will also not grade items that do not meet the minimum size requirement (N6), were miscut by the manufacturer (N8), or items we do not grade due to being an obscure issue or not fitting in our holders (N9). Items that receive N6, N8 or N9 results will not be charged grading.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-25-2022, 01:00 PM
Dave Foster

. . . but, if you do, and it comes back "altered, authentic, ungradeable," you forever lose the grade you had from SGC.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:00 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Submit It Raw

No ands, ifs or buts, IMHO.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:57 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Crossover with no minimum grade. If they won't cross it because they think it is altered, they return it to you in the SGC holder. Of course, you still pay the fee as if they crossed it. It will likely drop a half to full point grade but you stated that was OK.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:49 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Crossover with no minimum grade. If they won't cross it because they think it is altered, they return it to you in the SGC holder. Of course, you still pay the fee as if they crossed it. It will likely drop a half to full point grade but you stated that was OK.
This is the correct answer, if it's for your PC don't crack, just submit crossover min grade. Great looking card btw.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-25-2022 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:07 PM
Jim Reynolds

That card looks gorgeous in that SGC slab. I would not crack that out.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:56 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I say learn to appreciate SGC. They're better than PSA. Full stop. That said, if you are determined to put it in a PSA slab, then you should send it as a crossover in the SGC holder with no minimum grade. That way you aren't screwed if the 19 year old kid with 2 months experience who grades it thinks it's "altered", then you won't get screwed. But you should be prepared for it to come back in a PSA 2 holder.