NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-08-2014, 01:07 PM

Default Newest Hofers

Maddox, Glavine, and Frank Thomas, all on the first ballot. Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Scott

I voted, if I was a writer, for all three, deservedly. Piazza IMO is being "speculation snubbed" and should be in. Thats the biggest mess up. Biggio I didn't think would make it w such a strong group, but TWO VOTES short? wow.

Prob is Pedro and Johnson I think come up next year, thats two automatics, so maybe Biggio and Piazza can get in or at least one of them
Old 01-08-2014, 01:49 PM

Piazza should be in. How Glavine get 92% of the vote and Mussina gets just 20% is beyond me.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Glavine had more 20-win seasons, 2 CY Awards and postseasons, and hit 300 wins. So he's easily better than Mussina, although I believe Moose is deserving as well.

Those 2 votes for Biggio are a travesty. I heard on XM this morning that there were two voters (Murray Chass and one other) who changed their minds on Biggio and did not vote for him because people had called them SPECULATING that Biggio used PED's. He never once failed a test, wasn't implicated, his name wasn't on any list, nothing. But people can call voters with nothing more than their unfounded opinion and sway their decision. I get it, it's a democracy, but that to me is especially painful. Biggio should have been in the HOF already.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Wayne Walker

This is an autograph forum, right?

I have always liked Thomas's auto, lots of style there. Glavine's is pretty classic, neat and legible. I have never understood Maddux's chicken scratch. Good thing he could pitch lights out.

Show 'em off if ya got 'em!

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 01-08-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:34 PM

The guys who DIDN'T vote for Maddux should have their vote taken away. The whole "I wont vote for anyone on their first try" stuff is seriously stupid.

I hope Frank Thomas' induction paves the way for Edgar, someday. He WAS a DH and the days he played First Base he was a complete liability (he was a BAD Fielder, not just ok, BAD). Now that we have opened that door, hopefully the greatest DH ever gets in at some point.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Here's my 2014 HOF stuff:

the bats are gamers; the Torre is from his MVP 1971 season.
the jersey was worn in 2004 and is auto'd and MLB holo'd.
the baseball was used in game 1 of the 1995 WS (Maddux win over Hershiser.) Has an umpire LOA.

I do have a LaRussa auto'd ball, just haven't gotten it painted.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 HOF items.jpg (68.0 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 auto BB.jpg (71.5 KB, 257 views)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Ken, do you do the paintings on the OMLB's yourself? Those are really nice looking!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:31 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

sorry I never responded! These are done by an artist who I found years ago who now only paints for me. I wish I had that kind of talent!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:51 AM

Default Frank Thomas

Was able to add Frank Thomas to my Hall of Fame bat this summer at the Pepsi Max all star Softball game. Dangerous but it worked out. Now just need Pedro to get in as well.

Joe Torre

If anyone is interested in buying the world series program it is for sale $95 DLVD
Old 01-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
This is an autograph forum, right?

I have always liked Thomas's auto, lots of style there. Glavine's is pretty classic, neat and legible. I have never understood Maddux's chicken scratch. Good thing he could pitch lights out.

Maddux should go back to elementary school and take his penmanship lessons again. I thought Bonds was bad,, but this one is ridiculous.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-18-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
The guys who DIDN'T vote for Maddux should have their vote taken away. The whole "I wont vote for anyone on their first try" stuff is seriously stupid.
Agreed. I thought Thomas and Maddox would get in, but thought Biggio would get more votes than Glavine. Probably emotional thinking on my part, due to dislike for Glavine during the strike season.

Next year for Biggio.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:03 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

My biggest gripe is Piazza. The greatest offensive catcher of all time. Never convicted of anything. No scandals. Never implied in a PED investigation. No weird stats, like hitting more HR after age 33 than before.

I'm sorry, but leaving him out on unsubstantiated suspicions alone is unfair.

Quote:
Rhys,
I agree but I don't think it's the "first yr" thing. I think it's because no one has ever been elected unanimously. I think there will always be a few voters who won't vote for guys because if guys like Ruth, Williams, Cobb, Young, etc weren't elected unanimously, no newer guys should be either.

I wonder if Maddux or Glavine will use "Chicks dig the long ball" in their speech.

Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

At the risk of going OT...I heard a couple voters on XM say that they didn't vote for Maddux because he was a slam dunk, and they felt since he was getting in anyway they were using their vote for someone else who "needed" it more. I am more understanding of that strategy since the voters can vote for a max of 10 players, and this year's ballot had more than 10 guys who arguably were worthy.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Jeff

That's BS to me personally. That's like telling you that you don't get your Social Security bc you have enough money don't need it.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-19-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:55 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
At the risk of going OT...I heard a couple voters on XM say that they didn't vote for Maddux because he was a slam dunk, and they felt since he was getting in anyway they were using their vote for someone else who "needed" it more. I am more understanding of that strategy since the voters can vote for a max of 10 players, and this year's ballot had more than 10 guys who arguably were worthy.
this sounds like ok logic to me, anything to get more votes for raines and trammell. more reason to abolish the stupid 10 max rule.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
this sounds like ok logic to me, anything to get more votes for raines and trammell. more reason to abolish the stupid 10 max rule.
Yeah, the 10 max rule is the issue. If they could vote for anyone on the ballot you wouldn't have people trying to strategize where their votes are going.

And I don't really agree with the SS money analogy although I do agree it's risky to vote that way. If somehow 26% of voters did this we'd have the most egregious HOF snub ever. I don't think it's the same though because at the end of the day, Maddux got into the HOF. At that point it doesn't matter if he got 75% of the vote or 100%, the result is the same.

Last edited by dgo71; 01-19-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Jeff

"I'm not going to do the right thing because I know someone else is going to."

Hell of a way to do your job, 10 vote rule or not.

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-20-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
I was told by a good source that there are voters out there that will not vote anyone, regardless of their resume, until Pete Rose is allowed in the Hall of Fame.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
I was told by a good source that there are voters out there that will not vote anyone, regardless of their resume, until Pete Rose is allowed in the Hall of Fame.
A lot of these guys are suffering from an extreme case of self-importance.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Here's my 2014 HOF stuff:

the bats are gamers; the Torre is from his MVP 1971 season.
the jersey was worn in 2004 and is auto'd and MLB holo'd.
the baseball was used in game 1 of the 1995 WS (Maddux win over Hershiser.) Has an umpire LOA.

I do have a LaRussa auto'd ball, just haven't gotten it painted.

Ken
Exquisite stuff Ken!
The painted balls are an incredible niche.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Exquisite stuff Ken!
The painted balls are an incredible niche.
Thank you! They make a great display, but for some reason they aren't heavily collected.