NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 PM

Default Should I get this Babe Ruth autograph graded?

Hello all,

I recently picked up this Babe Ruth signature and as you can see, is already encapsulated and came with a Full Certificate of Authenticity from PSA/DNA. It's an amazing signature and in my opinion, one of the nicest and cleanest I have ever seen in person. Some of his autographs that I have seen on the market that are from the late 40's before his death are also very bold, but this signature has great provenance along with it stating it was signed in the early 1930's. I have always been more intrigued by the autographs during his playing days.

So my question: Should I re-submit this signature and pay the small fee to have the signature graded? I don't plan on selling at the moment, but seeing a Mint 9 or Gem Mint 10 on the label would just be icing on the cake! What do you guys think it would be graded compared to others you've seen and how much might it increase its value to collectors? Thanks for your suggestions.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t11104.jpg (78.2 KB, 334 views)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:48 PM

Don't play the stupid game. It's a beautiful signature. It is what it is, and getting PSA to give it a number will not change it. Nor will it "add value."
Old 01-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Don't play the stupid game. It's a beautiful signature. It is what it is, and getting PSA to give it a number will not change it. Nor will it "add value."
I agree. The number grade is subjective but looking at it id say either a 9 or 10
Old 01-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Matt

Let it live as is, I say. Collectors who want one and know their hobby can see plainly what it is, and pay accordingly. All gravy as is, IMO.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:55 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
I agree with David 100%
Old 01-15-2014, 03:45 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
I agree with David 100%
I agree with Greg who agrees with David

It's a great autograph, don't mess with it
Old 01-15-2014, 05:44 AM
Chris

I don't see the point either. If you know that it is authentic, who cares what anyone else thinks of the number grade? Would you have paid a different price for this if PSA said it was an 8 verse if PSA said it was a 9? Either way, it would not change the quality of the signature. I would save my money.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
+100 " I told you not to be stupid you moron" LOL

Enjoy the index card!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF1981 View Post
I agree. The number grade is subjective but looking at it id say either a 9 or 10
I'd give it a six....on a good day
Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 AM
keith janosky

That grading is a joke. Just like when PSA grades a baseball a 9 or 10 and baseballs always tone over the years and now the money you pay to have a 9 or 10 ball tones to a 4 or 5 you can't sell it for that now your screwed by paying back then for a 9 or 10 and now take a hit on it and lose money cause it's toned and not worth nothing. PSA makes there money and you lose. I have looked at baseballs that are sealed in PSA cube that have showed a 10 and it is toned so bad it would be a 3 if they submitted it, now what do you do. You have a ball that is nowhere worth it was as a 10
Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Sure, go ahead and send it back in for a grade. If it makes you feel better about the autograph, that is all that matters. It's just money, and that is what they are there for, to seperate you from your money.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like it's pretty much a unanimous decision here as far as what should be done. The reason why I was asking was because as of right now I do not plan to sell the signature, but researching some of the past Ruth autographs that have sold at auction, the higher the grade usually reflects a higher premium realized. I understand that the grade is subjective and to each person it may be valued differently, but was just curious what all of you thought on this one just incase I decided to sell. I refuse to pay the $300 authentication fee that PSA charges for Ruth, which was the reason why I purchased this one already authenticated and I don't think it was much more to have it graded. That is also what the original seller suggested as well, as he wished he would have had it graded himself at the time of authentication.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:26 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augy44 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like it's pretty much a unanimous decision here as far as what should be done. The reason why I was asking was because as of right now I do not plan to sell the signature, but researching some of the past Ruth autographs that have sold at auction, the higher the grade usually reflects a higher premium realized. I understand that the grade is subjective and to each person it may be valued differently, but was just curious what all of you thought on this one just incase I decided to sell. I refuse to pay the $300 authentication fee that PSA charges for Ruth, which was the reason why I purchased this one already authenticated and I don't think it was much more to have it graded. That is also what the original seller suggested as well, as he wished he would have had it graded himself at the time of authentication.
It's a beauty, Congrats!!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
It's a beauty, Congrats!!
Thanks man, I am very happy with it!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
I agree with Greg who agrees with David

It's a great autograph, don't mess with it
I agree with Mark who agrees with Greg who agrees with David.

It's already in a slab, which I think is bad enough.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Alex

Nice sig. Leave it be. $300 is way too much.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Steve Zarelli

I can understand coin and comic book grading because valuation in these hobbies is truly grade driven, plus there is a huge risk of undisclosed restoration.

However, with autographs, it is authentic or it is not, and "grade" should be obvious. If it is faded or smeared it is less desirable than a bold signature. Pretty simple. My sense is only the most slavish really give a whit if a grading company says it is a 7 versus an 8, etc.

I suspect the end game of the grading component is to eventually build online competitive "registries" like they have with graded comics and coins. Users can build sets and get assigned points based of the grade of their items. The users with the highest scores get bragging rights.

I can see it now:

My 27 Yankees set are all 8 or better and I get a "badge" for set of the year!

The registry building is just another way to create an online community of loyal brand ambassadors who all play in the company-provided playground. I don't care for it, but it is pretty savvy marketing.

Maybe it won't take off with autographs, but it certainly has with coins and comics.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I suspect the end game of the grading component is to eventually build online competitive "registries" like they have with graded comics and coins. Users can build sets and get assigned points based of the grade of their items. The users with the highest scores get bragging rights.
And the registry set guys with the biggest ---- get bragging rights too. What a comical farce this is. Sorry, if I offend any 54 members but to most of those who do not participate in this marketing ploy of PSA, well we just usually laugh and feel the same way that Zipper does.
I collect for the (diminished) joy of owning something that might be interesting or historical. Not to have my name on a website that says mine is the best and all the rest of you cannot measure up to me. Most of us quit that type of thing years ago.
I truly hope this registry crap does not get started with autographs.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-20-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 AM

As sad as i was to see that there was even a question about "grading" the nice autograph, i have been heartened and delighted to read the responses.