NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 04-03-2022, 02:23 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Michael
Nice pic of Reggie and Cheryl Miller..I watched the HBO documentary "The Women of troy" It was a great story about a great team. It was in fact Great. Watch it if you get a chance.
I will look for that. Miller and the McGee twins at USC was quite a team. After I finish posting the photos I have scanned I will scan and post the photos I have of Cheryl Miller at USC and 84 Olympics.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 04-03-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:37 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
What are the names of the 3 other players in the Kim Mulkey photo ? Thx.
They are from left to right Terry Johnson, Dana Sue Fortenberry, Kim Mulkey and Michelle Anderson. They were members of the Metro Domino's National Junior Olympic basketball team. The caption does not state if they all went to Hammond High. Mulkey was Hammond class valedictorian in 1980. There was a Joe Fortenberry who was a member of the 1936 Olympic basketball team. He was from Texas. Jeff Fortenberry, the U.S. Rep from Nebraska who just resigned grew up in Baton Rouge. Hammond is just east of there. It is possible she is related to him.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 04-03-2022 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:58 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

olympic-52-1-1.jpg
The 1952 Olympic team as chosen after the tryout tournament.

olympic-52-2-1.jpg
1952 Olympic team official team photo

olympic-56-1.jpg
1956 Olympic team choosing to participate in a post-Olympic tournament. Bill Russell and K.C. Jones seated next to each other.

olympic-64-1.jpg
1964 Olympic team. Gold medal ceremony in Tokyo. It looks like George 'Jif' Wilson is the one receiving the medal.

olympic-64-2-1.jpg
1964 Olympic team photo. Mel Counts is the tallest in the middle. Seated below him looking very stiff is Bill Bradley. To the right of Bradley is Larry Brown. Seated on the extreme right is Walt Hazzard.

perkins-wennington-1.jpg
Sam Perkins and Bill Wennington 1984 Olympics.

phillips-47-1.jpg
1947-48 Phillips 66ers. 1948 Olympians on the team are Bob Kurland, Jesse "Cab" Renick, Lew Beck, R.C. Pitts and Gordy Carpenter. Bud Browning was head coach of the 1948 Olympic team. Adolph Rupp was one of his assistants.

robertson-west-1.jpg
Oscar Robertson and Jerry West 1960 College All Star game.

robertson-west-2-1.jpg
Oscar Robertson and Jerry West 1960 Olympic medal ceremony

Last edited by Michael B; 04-15-2022 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:42 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I have posted quite a few photos. I thought I would add something a bit older. The first Olympic basketball tournament was held during the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St. Louis. It is also referred to as the 1904 World's Fair. The Olympic events were secondary to the Expo. As such the programs will list events, but you would not see rosters of entrants like you would in a regular program. On July 12, 1904 the Buffalo Germans of the Buffalo YMCA would win the first ever Olympic basketball tournament. They were the first team inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. There is some disagreement as to whether this can be considered truly Olympic as there were no foreign teams and it was the AAU Championships. The OlyMadmen, a small group of Olympic researchers, to which I contribute but am not considered a member, view it as a demonstration sport. The business manager, coach and star of the team, Alfred Heerdt would later coach the Buffalo Bisons in the ABL (1925-26) and in the NBL (1937-38).

Here is the program from July 12, 1904.
1904-1.jpg
1904-2.jpg
Olympic-3.jpg
Olympic-4.jpg

Old 04-17-2022, 09:22 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

I don't know if one even exists, if so, I would love to get my hands on a playing-days (1950-56) postcard of Chuck Cooper.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:26 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrotn77 View Post
I don't know if one even exists, if so, I would love to get my hands on a playing-days (1950-56) postcard of Chuck Cooper.
It is quite possible there is a Celtics or St Louis Hawks team issued one for him.

Old 04-18-2022, 03:20 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

I have not seen a team issued postcard of Cooper as a Celtic. He did have several program covers. There are also some playing days signed GPCs out there.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:14 PM

Default Basketball Box Ad

My first vintage basketball ad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basketball Ad.jpg (197.3 KB, 167 views)
Old 04-18-2022, 06:47 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
My first vintage basketball ad
Nice Bob looks like artwork for 1973 Basketball sales flyer.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:16 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Terrific photos!

I've sold a lot of my vintage basketball photos but will check to see if I have any good ones to post.

At the moment, I'm working through some really neat 120mm and 35mm negatives but have no idea how to get a good scan of those....
Old 05-06-2022, 01:21 PM

Please post some. It is one of my collecting interests.
beer chug.gif
Old 06-08-2022, 03:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-28-2022, 12:57 PM

Pro game in the 1930's between the Jersey Reds and Celtics.

Rob M

New Jersey Reds1.jpg

New Jersey Reds2.jpg

New Jersey Reds3.jpg

New Jersey Reds4.jpg
Old 06-28-2022, 06:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think Willie Scrill is a Sponge Bob character...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-28-2022, 10:28 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I think Willie Scrill is a Sponge Bob character...
Willie Scrill (1907-1977)

Willie Scrill signed to play professional basketball right out of high school with his hometown Brooklyn Visitation at age 18. Depleted by the defections of veterans Rody Cooney and Red Conaty to the newly-formed American Basketball League, the Visitation thrust the youngster into the starting lineup. In his very first pro season, the youthful Scrill very quickly established two things that would remain constants throughout his career. First, he was a very talented, at times brilliant player. Second, he had a very short fuse that could be ignited in an instant. Scrill once got into a fight with an opponent while the teams were warming up before a game. During the 1930-31 ABL finals, Scrill attacked referee Chuck Solodare after a double overtime loss, but went unpunished. Season after season, Scrill ranked as the most aggressive, combative players in pro basketball. Scrill spent his first eleven seasons in pro basketball with the Visitation and was a member of three championship teams. In 1934-35, Scrill lost his job to 20-year-old phenom, Bobby McDermott, and signed with the rival Jersey Reds. In 1936-37, Scrill enjoyed the best season of career. He led Jersey to first place in the first-half of the split ABL season with a 14-4 record. Scrill continued his outstanding play through the playoffs, but the Reds lost to the Philadelphia SPHAS in a seven-game thriller decided in overtime by a single point. For his stellar play, he was named the MVP of the 1936-37 ABL season. Scrill, at the very pinnacle of his career, retired in the off- season to become a New York City fireman.

Last edited by Michael B; 06-28-2022 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:40 PM

Michael - If I go to the National, where are we meeting up ? beer chug.gif
Old 06-29-2022, 10:56 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Michael - If I go to the National, where are we meeting up ? Attachment 523173
Alan,

Other than getting a few items signed by Spencer Haywood I will either be Waldo (anywhere) or Elvis (everywhere). I find little to nothing at the show. The only booth I know I will visit is that of Rhys Yeakley (prewar sports on here) Let me know if you are going and I will send along my phone number.

I will be getting copies of photos from my archives signed by Haywood along with the following:

68-basketball-gold.jpg

Tickets from the gold medal basketball game 1968 Olympics.

ajman.jpg

Postal souvenir sheet issued in 1968. I picked up over 30 of these for dirt cheap. I will only get one signed. The rest will be for the remaining living players. Unfortunately there are only 5 members of the team still living - Bill Hoskett, Glynn Saulters, Charlie Scott and Jim King along with Haywood. Hoskett and Saulters are good TTM. I have not located Jim King. I usually send three of this type of item. Sign 2 keep 1. I do the same with photos in my collection. The Olympians appreciate getting photos they have never seen except for possibly in the newspaper.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:08 PM

Exclamation

Love these Rosenblum photos!!! Amazing vintage professional basketball images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I try and only collect Pro Basketball but I do have college items And Chicago HS tournament programs from 1904 to late 1920's
As for photos I have a few the two 1928 Rosenblum's Celtics type 1's are my earliest
My Miken vs Knicks NBA Finals press photo clearly shows Miken had moves.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:11 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Default NBA Champs

Postcard sized team giveaway of Syracuse National's Championship team of 1955. Back is a dual ad for Rochester sample shoe store and season ticket packages for the Nat's. 32 games Best seats in the house $70. Pay before Nov 1st and get free parking in best lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220702_120834.jpg (193.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20220702_120847.jpg (193.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-05-2022, 12:17 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default 1939 Jersey Reds

Back when NJ had The World Champion Reds. Got this from board member Ramram along with some reds and Spha's programs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220630_183420.jpg (184.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 07-05-2022, 11:35 PM

Love the 1904 worlds fair flyer you posted - it was interesting to see the word “basketball” that’s the earliest I’ve seen it as one word as opposed to basket-ball or basket ball. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:31 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwoodford_34 View Post
Love the 1904 worlds fair flyer you posted - it was interesting to see the word “basketball” that’s the earliest I’ve seen it as one word as opposed to basket-ball or basket ball. Thanks for posting.
That is a page in the July 12 program for the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition aka World's Fair. That program is currently in an auction.

Last edited by Michael B; 07-06-2022 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:32 AM

Michael - Why are you not considered a member ? I'm sure you know as much or more than those OlyMadmen ?