NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default There will be a pretty good type card collection coming to auction....

In order to pay for my daughter's SMU experience, which she is starting this year, I am selling my card and ephemera collection in (mostly) it's entirety. I am keeping hobby publications, generic baseball RPPCs and my 1903 Horner Composite as well as a few nice, old photos. It will be done through Heritage, as a stand along catalog auction, during and right after the National. It will end lot by lot on a single night approximately 2 weeks after the National this year. It will be open for bidding during the National.

The stand alone catalog will ship with the Heritage Platinum night catalog in around 2 to 2 1/2 months. It will be a no reserve auction. I am still collecting (*having started the Luckey Collection II already). The board will continue as it is. If you like it today you still will. And if you don't like it today, you still won't. It's been an agonizing decision but is one that has had much thought given to it. It should be interesting.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Tony N.

Leon,

I'm sure that was a tough decision. In regards to your daughters education and future, I'm sure it will be well worth it!!

Best of luck!!

Tony
Old 04-30-2015, 08:31 AM
bR!@N R0+H

Good luck in the auction, and sorry to see some pieces go, but interested to see what will be coming next

Greenberg collection
Old 04-30-2015, 08:37 AM
pete ullman

the dream of completing the ACC is dead??????
Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 AM
octavio ranzola

good choice leon as a type collector I will keep an eye best of luck
Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 AM
Scott S

Best of luck with the sales - it's just cardboard, right? I'm sure it's a tough decision process, but family and education certainly are excellent priorities!!

I'm sure the Luckey Collection Part Deux will be up and speeding along in no time!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:41 AM

Leon, sorry to hear this news. Hopefully your daughter never forgets this, and puts you in a nice retirement home when you get old!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:41 AM

As someone with outstanding student loans, you are doing a really great thing for your daughter.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:42 AM

Default Best of Luck

Leon,

Best of luck with the auction!

I'll try to help if a certain 1915 Zeenut with coupon isn't buried in a huge lot.

Best wishes,

Patrick
Old 04-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Leon - If I manage to win anything that you hold dear, I will be a good steward for it and an appreciative owner.

Best of Luck to you, my friend! Having sold off my collection in its entirety three times already (albeit much, much less grand than yours must be), I realize that it is not an easy decision. And your reason for liquidating is far better than mine were- mainly out-purchasing my paychecks.

-Raymond

- oh, and please send me a catalog when it's available.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-30-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Dave_Berg

We are all just transient sentinels of our collections which ultimately will be passed on to others. What is mine now, will ultimately be yours and vice-versa. Its a reality of collecting that makes me smile. Good luck with your auction, your items will be well cared for!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:53 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenv View Post
Leon, sorry to hear this news. Hopefully your daughter never forgets this, and puts you in a nice retirement home when you get old!
Wow! Leon

And yes, his daughter will sell the Luckey II Collection to fund him in the retirement home.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:00 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I am sure you've thought of this, but be aggressive in applying for the scholarships. SMU has a good endowment and is pretty generous as a rule.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:05 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I would like a catalog.

Am I safe in thinking that this can act as a preview then?

http://www.luckeycards.com/personal.html
Old 04-30-2015, 09:08 AM
Barry Sloate

The day after the auction, someone is going to offer Leon a D355!

Good luck with the sale Leon. I've known about this decision for a while now and look forward to seeing how it all pans out.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Leon

Very neat thing to do Leon. Very happy to hear that you are not getting out of it altogether. I am hoping to get a catalog just for the sheer amount of knowledge I can gain from reading it. You are a great part of this great hobby (and it would seem a great dad!)
Old 04-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Bruce Fairchild

It's all about priorities! Good luck Leon.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I would like a catalog.

Am I safe in thinking that this can act as a preview then?

http://www.luckeycards.com/personal.html
All members who want a catalog will get one. You might have to ask but you will get one.

As for the url, that is fairly accurate but I will disclaim and say it could change (though I don't expect it to). There could be a few very minor items not being sold and a few added. But the goal is/was to memorialize it so I wanted everything in there, which I am not continuing to collect. As mentioned, everything is going. I am keeping the hobby pubs, generic baseball RPPCs and a few old 1800s photos. And didn't want to take the only thing on my office walls down (1903 Horner), so didn't. Also, I am NOT saying I am not going back to type collecting. I am quite sure I will in some form or fashion. The thrill of the hunt is awesome.

To answer Pete, yeap, a few short for a complete 1900-1949 type set...but pretty close. And there were probably a couple I didn't even get as they are commonly available. I knew the D351 and D355 would be difficult. Those are the only 2 real ones I feel I didn't get.

To answer another question, the early Zeenuts with coupons (say, before 1923'ish) will be sold individually. That being said there will have to be some groups of things as the printing is what it is. (expensive)

ps..One other thing, the reason I am making this known now is because several hobby friends have known about it, as well as quite a few others, and I didn't want it being something spoken about behind the scenes as if it were a complete secret, bad or mysterious. It's much better to be open, imho.

Last edited by Leon; 04-30-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Sean Costello

Best of luck to your daughter Leon.

And I can't wait to see this catalog (and Johnny's reaction when he realizes that his dream scrap and his dream proof will soon be available).
Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Shawn England

Default Roy R Ray Director of Law at SMU

Wow Leon! What a great thing you are doing for your daughter... Great School as well! I am biased though...

My Great Grand Father is Roy R Ray who was Director of the Academy of American Law program...

I did get to meet him several times but he was up there in age. I helped my grandmother clean out his house and I remember all these law books etc... I had asked my grandmother (I was a kid) if I could have a giant map that was on the wall (it actually looked as if it was built into the wall) and she said "if you can get it down you can have it". Its now over my fireplace... I also drove his 1971 Grand Mercury Marquis to school, my first car "The Tank"...

Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know...

Here is a little Bio:

Roy R. Ray Lecture Series
Established 1970

History

The Roy R. Ray Lecture Series was established through an endowment funded by the late Professor Roy Robert Ray. Previous lectures have included: Linda Greenhouse, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and U.S. Supreme Court correspondent for the New York Times; Lawrence Lokken, Hugh Culverhouse Eminent Scholar in Taxation and Professor Emeritus at the University of Florida Levin College of Law; Helen M. Hubbard, former Tax Legislative Counsel for the Office of Tax Policy at the U.S. Department of Treasury.

Roy Ray received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Centre College and his law degree with distinction from the University of Kentucky. He was appointed Research Fellow at the University of Michigan and received the degree of Doctor of Judicial Science.

Professor Ray joined the SMU law faculty in 1929; four years after the law school opened its doors. While at SMU, he established and served as the Director of the Academy of American Law program in the law school from 1955 to 1959. During the spring of 1966, Professor Ray was a Fulbright Exchange Professor at the Graduate School of Law at Seoul National University in Korea. Following his retirement in 1967, he continued to teach full time as professor emeritus for three more years. In total, and except for temporary visits and leave during the war, Professor Ray served the law school and university for 41 years.

Professor Ray is well-known for his significant contribution to the literature in torts and evidence. However, perhaps his most enduring legacy is the treatise on the Texas Law of Evidence, first co-authored with Dean Charles T. McCormick of the University of Texas at Austin, and a second edition with Professor William F. Young of the University of Texas at Austin.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Rich Klein

I can think of a local show where you can do show and tell and maybe get some bites
Old 04-30-2015, 09:59 AM

Hi Leon,
Best of luck with the auction. I will definitely be requesting a catalog and crossing my fingers that the one item I want is available.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:00 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Good luck with the sale, and more importantly, good luck to your daughter at SMU.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:13 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Hey, I imagine you are you going to get your own personalized flips(?) "Luckey Daughter College Fund Collection?

Last edited by Paul S; 04-30-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for the kind wishes folks.
As is expected I have gotten a few very kind emails also. They are appreciated. Board members and hobby friends are some great people. Some emails are from friends asking about odds and ends in the collection. Let me make it more clear, everything is at Heritage and is being sold in the catalog auction. All of the tobacco packs and ephemera, all of the caramel packs and ephemera, everything. The reason I him-hawed a bit earlier is right when I say "everything" with no disclaimer, someone will find a Lowney's candy wrapper not in the auction. (For those not in the know, Lowney's are quite common and can be had for a buck or less sometimes.). I am not sure how I can be more clear. I hope my eye for some of the neatest cards, packs and ephemera was good. I guess we'll see. There are so many unique, and near unique items, it really will be interesting (and a tiny bit hair-raising for me).

No, a personalized flip isn't in the picture. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it's just not me. And no, any coin seen in a scan won't be in auction (though they could be for sale if you ask )

Last edited by Leon; 04-30-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Bry@n

Awesome move for your daughter - an education is an excellent use for your excellent collection.

Will the US coins in your scans be included in the lots?
Old 04-30-2015, 10:56 AM
qualitycards

Leon, Good luck w/ the auction!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:07 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Best of luck with the auction

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Holy cow! Are all of your Ruth cards going into the catalog also? I know that even though you weren't a Ruth collector, you had a substantial collection there. Good luck with your sale!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 AM
T!M R10rd@n

You're a good man, Leon, but that's nothing new.

Best wishes with the auction, and I know that you daughter's graduation will be something very special.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 AM
S Gross

".... say it ain't so, Leon."

Seriously, a better use of money can't be found: Education.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Daryl

Default There will be a pretty good type card collection coming to auction....

Leon, your love of family over possessions is very heartwarming. I hope that your unparalleled type collection brings record prices, and I wish your daughter great success!

Last edited by 4815162342; 04-30-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:26 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Considering you own your own auction house, how did you make the decision to go with Heritage?
Old 04-30-2015, 11:27 AM
FredYoung

My BEST to you, Leon, for great auction results, and to your daughter, for a great education!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
and a tiny bit hair-raising for me
Isn't that a good thing, Leon?

Best of luck to you and your daughter. Am going through the same thing myself, although I got the jump on you and already have liquidated a lot of what was at most a far inferior collection to yours. Hopefully my daughter will come visit me under the bridge after her degree(s).
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Considering you own your own auction house, how did you make the decision to go with Heritage?
We don't do catalogs (yes, I could figure it out) but mostly I feel an arm's length sale is better. Heritage will do a great job and no company has been more supportive of Net54baseball especially with their Net54baseball Dinner sponsorship. Plus I have several good hobby friends that work there and they are in my back yard, so to speak. All of our advertisers could have done a great job.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Leon,

Sorry to hear you're breaking up your collection, but I'm glad it's going to a good cause. My cousin is in the SMU class of 2017, and he loves it down there. I guess George and Laura Bush live nearby, so he sees them every now and then on campus.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
TAnd no, any coin seen in a scan won't be in auction (though they could be for sale if you ask )
Answered my question, thanks.

But seriously, it would be cool to see at least one or two scans with a coin next to the card, maybe as a small tribute to the way you shared your collection. Just a thought.

Congrats on taking the next step in life and setting priorities, Leon. I wish your daughter well at school, and I wish you well in your next collecting journey.

Last edited by CW; 04-30-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:49 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Best of luck with the sale. It goes without saying that your daughter is a very lucky Luckey girl and I am sure that she appreciates your sacrifice and having a great Dad.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Chris Wood

Best wishes for a tremendously successful sale Leon. Many, including me will benefit from the reminder of where one's priorities are and might be.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:17 PM

Default Wow....

Leon.....WOW.....JUST WOW!

I AM SPEECHLESS
Old 04-30-2015, 01:41 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Good luck with the sale Leon. Glad I got my Leon Lucky pedigree card already. There's going to be some aggressive bidding for many of your cards.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Trey

Wow Leon!! I'm not sure what I'm more excited about: Bidding on collection #1 or watching you amass collection #2.

I'm glad to see you've made a decision about how to part with your collection and that, most importantly, you're happy with it! The catalog will be epic and a lasting tribute to an incredible collection.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:16 PM

Wow! good luck, Leon.

Approximately how many cards make up your type collection?
Old 04-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Good luck with the sale Leon. Glad I got my Leon Lucky pedigree card already. There's going to be some aggressive bidding for many of your cards.
Thanks Dean. And if I remember correctly it was one of these Cobby's that unseated the card you garnered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt213cobbmaster.jpg (73.6 KB, 590 views)
Old 04-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Tom Boblitt

Was hoping you would have the cards pedigreed something like below...........

All seriousness aside.......good luck with the sale. I will be bidding. Always knew somewhere deep down you had your head screwed on straight. Good luck to your daughter at SMU.....
Old 04-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Shitz Shamoney, Leon!
I am interested in seeing what is in it, may not be able to afford anything, but love seeing what an experieced collector has treasure troved over their many years.
It has to be hard Leon, parting with things you put hard work into, but then again its just things (cardboard) and its paying for an education which is very important.
It been something else to come and say its too pay off from buying the Wagner on REA, joking aside, I wonder if each picture will have a quarter next to it??
Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 PM
James R. Hill

Leon,
Best of luck to you and your daughter. You are a good man and father!
Old 04-30-2015, 03:16 PM

Best of luck with the sale. I am sure that the items will do well and your daughter is lucky to have a dad who would do that for her!

Rhys
Old 04-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default sure to be

a sad and happy moment all at the same time. Pretty sure there's a pack I want but won't get so I can emotionally share with you on both sides of the equation......... :-)
Closed Thread