NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-11-2022, 08:00 AM

Default 1967 Topps 6th Series

So, when I began to work on a 1967 set earlier this year, I knew the 7th series was going to kick my butt (and my wallet), but the 6th series?

I get that cards generally get increasingly harder to find as you move up series to series, culminating in the high series.

But, looking on line so many 6th series commons (not exactly in MT condition, either) are priced more than many 7th series common DPs.

What's odd is that the stars (Palmer, Marichal, Killebrew etc) don't seem to carry proportionate premiums...in other words if commons are often listed between 10-20, the stars can be had for 30-50 in nice shape. With the pricing on the commons, I would have expected the stars to be around 80-100, especially a 2nd year Palmer.

So the question I have is this - is this just more silliness in this season of vintage silliness, or does the 6th series carry genuine production/distribution/scarcity issues like the 7th?
Old 05-11-2022, 11:10 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Off memory, series 6 is 458-533. Adding the checklist DP, 77 cards, 7 unique rows. So there should be SP'd rows to fit the Topps sheet size. Tony Perez and Tony Perez alone used to be listed in the Standard Catalogs (mine is the Vintage only, 5th edition) as a SP; he may or may not be but he is obviously not the only one; unless a card was pulled from production there should always be at least 10 others just as tough.

Tolan and Helms seem to be more popular than I had expected in set building. I too found the HOF's in this series pretty easy and cheap. McCovey, Palmer, Killebrew, Marichal, all were pretty easy.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:21 AM
J0hn Collin$

I would imagine the 6th series is tougher than the 1st, but I know of no accepted explanation of it being anywhere on par with the difficulty of the 7th series.

What bugs me is sellers who don't know the numbers and just generally list cards with 500 or up on the back as a "high number." Uh, no, high numbers start at #534.

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-11-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:49 PM

I assume there are no known images of 6th series sheets out there? I checked my small but growing uncut sheet folder and I have sample images from 1-5 and 7 (some grabbed from these boards).
Old 05-11-2022, 01:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I checked my archive and do not have an image of the sheet either. Not that that means much
Old 05-11-2022, 09:05 PM
Al Stein

I'm telling ya Mark, just take a deep breath and go on and buy that Shaw.

https://www.deanscards.com/search?s=1967+470
Old 05-13-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
I assume there are no known images of 6th series sheets out there? I checked my small but growing uncut sheet folder and I have sample images from 1-5 and 7 (some grabbed from these boards).
I collect sheets but have not seen a 6th series sheet
Old 05-13-2022, 11:23 AM
Ian H@ll

Nothing to add to the discussion on 6th series pricing, but here's a card I sold a few months ago.

[/url]
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 05-13-2022, 12:08 PM

There are two series sheets from the 60’s that Kevvyg1026 and I can’t even commence to reconstruct, 1966 Topps 6th Series and 1967 Topps 6th Series because of the lack of partial sheets, wrong backs, and miscuts. 1966 Topps 4th Series, 1969 Topps 3rd Series, and 1969 Topps 7th Series aren’t far behind.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 07-24-2022 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Missed a word
Old 03-18-2023, 10:32 AM

This was an interesting thread to read through. Pretty amazing how y’all put this sheet together. As a relative newbie I came away with a couple of questions. One, are the “tough high numbers” just the last series printed? Or can it include the last few series? Two, what makes the high numbers/last series more scarce? Three, how does a cards position in a sheet impact its scarcity or conditional rarity? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbjerry View Post
This was an interesting thread to read through. Pretty amazing how y’all put this sheet together. As a relative newbie I came away with a couple of questions. One, are the “tough high numbers” just the last series printed? Or can it include the last few series? Two, what makes the high numbers/last series more scarce? Three, how does a cards position in a sheet impact its scarcity or conditional rarity? Thank you.

1. Yes, just the last series of a set. 2. There are some cases where a lower series in a certain year is scarcer or just as scarce as the high series, 1957 and 1963 are two that I can think of. 3. Topps would release fewer baseball cards in the fall because kids were switching over to football, basketball, and hockey cards. 4. I'm no expert on that but I have heard others say that edge cards and especially corner cards were more susceptible to damage during the sheet cutting process.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 03-18-2023 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Missed a word
Old 03-18-2023, 11:42 AM

Thanks to Al (batsballsbases) I believe everything is 100% confirmed now on the 1967 6th Series sheet other than possibly Tommy Helms, John Stephenson, Tommie Reynolds, and Senators Rookie Stars. The miscuts of Tolan to the left of the Marichal Checklist, Horton as a right edge card, Felipe Alou to the left of the Dodgers Team card, Killebrew to the left of Gabrielson, Lee Thomas above Felipe Alou, Indians Rookie Stars to the left of Ribant, Ribant as a right edge card, Hunt to the left of Lee Thomas have all confirmed the rest of the sheet being 100% correct. The Bird Bombers, Mantilla, and Bell rows are the 4x rows, the Miller, Perez, Brooks Robinson Checklist, and Pirates Rookie Stars rows are 3x, so that means all of the known checklists and the eBay sellers that have Tony Perez as a SP are correct but there doesn't seem to be any shortage of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67 6 tolan.jpg (80.6 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 67 6 horton miscut.jpg (90.9 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 67 6 alou.jpg (94.0 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 67 6 gabrielson - killebrew.jpg (88.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 67 6 indians rookies - ribant.jpg (85.3 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 67 6 ribant edge.jpg (80.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 67 6 hunt - thomas.jpg (92.4 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 67 6 davidson - hill aces 1.jpg (72.0 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 67 6 hicks - talbot.jpg (79.4 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg 67 6 landis - martinez.jpg (81.4 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg 67 6 wert - mccovey 1.jpg (90.8 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 67 6 l thomas - alou.jpg (116.6 KB, 220 views)
Old 03-18-2023, 12:37 PM

Great day for discoveries!

General question - is/was there ever any rhyme or reason to card placement on sheets? For example, have we ever seen where 2 team cards or two multi-player rookies were directly adjacent in the same row?

Last edited by deweyinthehall; 03-18-2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
Great day for discoveries!

General question - is/was there ever any rhyme or reason to card placement on sheets? For example, have we ever seen where 2 team cards or two multi-player rookies were directly adjacent in the same row?
After looking at and working on all of these 60’s Topps sheets I did notice Topps tried to avoid putting two manager cards, two multi rookie cards, two team cards, etc., side by side, that is why I figured the 67 Pirates Team card wasn’t beside the Giants Team card or the Braves Team card when I was down to three remaining slots on the 6th Series and had to be next to Bobby Wine, which turned out to be the case.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:07 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Thanks to Al (batsballsbases) I believe everything is 100% confirmed now on the 1967 6th Series sheet other than possibly Tommy Helms, John Stephenson, Tommie Reynolds, and Senators Rookie Stars. The miscuts of Tolan to the left of the Marichal Checklist, Horton as a right edge card, Felipe Alou to the left of the Dodgers Team card, Killebrew to the left of Gabrielson, Lee Thomas above Felipe Alou, Indians Rookie Stars to the left of Ribant, Ribant as a right edge card, Hunt to the left of Lee Thomas have all confirmed the rest of the sheet being 100% correct. The Bird Bombers, Mantilla, and Bell rows are the 4x rows, the Miller, Perez, Brooks Robinson Checklist, and Pirates Rookie Stars rows are 3x, so that means all of the known checklists and the eBay sellers that have Tony Perez as a SP are correct but there doesn't seem to be any shortage of them.
Glad to help Cliff I know you worked hard on this sheet so at least I believe you can say the 6th series is done... HooRay.....

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 03-18-2023, 06:17 PM
Al

Cliff now looking at my 531 chechlist that I posted up I believe that would be Tony Perez that is at the bottom of that checklist..... See if you agree...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 03-18-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
1. Yes, just the last series of a set. 2. There are some cases where a lower series in a certain year is scarcer or just as scarce as the high series, 1957 and 1963 are two that I can think of. 3. Topps would release fewer baseball cards in the fall because kids were switching over to football, basketball, and hockey cards. 4. I'm no expert on that but I have heard others say that edge cards and especially corner cards were more susceptible to damage during the sheet cutting process.

Thank you. This helps.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:21 PM

More confirmation for work already done/surmised - additional confirmation of Burgess in the #2 slot - this version is on eBay. The 3 visible white/bright elements along the bottom line up perfectly with counterparts on Doug Clemens' card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg (208.2 KB, 216 views)
Old 03-18-2023, 04:51 PM

A few counyer examples:
a, The 1966 high number sheet has two sets of two rookie cards side-by-side as well as another pair vertiocally connected.

b. The 1965 high series has a pair of rookie cards vertically attached, plus a few manager/rookie stars cards vertically.

c. In 1964, series 1, there is a vertical set of 3 that has a team/special/team.