NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 10:14 AM
Andy Geller

Default Mhcc brian drent rude condescending irresponsible and just unkind human being

IN CASE YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY USERNAME, THIS IS ANDY GELLER. I'm a pre-war and Mantle collector. I'm very active on Ebay as And_Gell I have 100% user feedback with tons of feedback. I'm also very active on FB in Harmon's, 1985 Deal or No Deal, and all the Pre-War Groups (Mainly TR).

Guys, I hate to post something like this but I just had the absolute WORST phone call with an Auction House and it's the 2nd awful call I've had with them in 2 years. Here is what happened this time, and below you'll see what happened last year. If any of you know Brian Drent of MHCC well, please reach out to him and tell him who's an upstanding person here. He was rude, arrogant, condescending.
Current Situation: I won an auction for under 3k and got an invoice on Dec 2nd at 1:40 pm. By 2:04 PM I wired him and replied to their invoice with my wire confirmation (as I do with all my auctions). 8 days later I received the invoice again, to which I replied, "Quite positive this was paid for last week. I did send confirmation".
Brian instantly replied, "Andy,
I have gone through PayPal and I don’t see the payment. Is there another name it may be under."
I instantly replied saying, " I sent you a wire" and sent a pictured screenshot of the wire. NO REPLY
The next day I emailed them, "Find the wire? No reply.
31 minutes ago I get another invoice from them. I replied "guys, I sent a wire". I then picked up the phone and called Brian's cell.
Brian tells me he is headed into the mountains and can't look now...but nobody saw a wire. I asked if he has gotten any of my emails to which he replies that he hasn't gotten ANY of my emails....apparently not even the ones he's replied to!
He couldn't even just say, we'll find it...or let me get on it and have someone look. He just needed to be right...about what I have no idea...and he was so condescending and rude....that it reminded me that I had an issue with him once before....which was a DOOZY!!!
Last year I won Multiple Lots from an auction totally over 20k. Of course I paid right away and the cards were shipped....but what showed up was just 1 card....for like $500....and I was missing over $19k in cards. I called Brian and he was super rude and defensive. He insisted he shipped all the cards and that he had proof that I signed for them. He said, there was NOTHING he could do. I signed for it and my insurance would have to cover it. He was also pretty accusatory, making me feel that he felt I received the cards and just was filing a false claim. It was a terrible phone many phone calls we had.
Guess what happened the next day?! Brian called to say they didn't ship the cards. They had printed out the label for all the cards and packed 1 card into the box...so what I signed for was 1 card with the tracking of all the cards. He hardly offered an apology.
After our call this morning when I told him to, "listen, just find the money and send me the cards....I don't need to keep going back and forth and....and it was getting heated....I finally hung up on him....Brian felt the need to call me back and and YELL AT ME "You don't hang up on me...and guess what...you're done buying from me".

I followed the rules...I bid...I paid...and twice now Brian Drent not only has failed, but acted like a complete ASS. Yelling at me. I paid...I'm out the money.
And guess what will happen....He'll find the money in his account. It's been there since December 2nd.
Emails for backup available upon request.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:35 AM
Troy Rambo

Sorry to hear this Andy!

Not a great look for Brian and his brand. No doubt in my mind you're in the right here and I'm wondering why he didn't just say he'd look into it and get back to you.

I'm hopeful they'll figure it out but guessing a few of us may not bid much or work with MHCC going forward.

Troy Rambo
TRambo Collection
Old 12-23-2022, 10:52 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default That's rough

Hopefully they get it sorted out for you soon enough. Because not losing your payment is about as basic as it gets for an AH.

Not to defend Brian, but I'm guessing he's juggling a few things right now, plus probably on his guard for people looking to take advantage of his shop by making wild claims. Naturally, when we have a valid claim, all of the goons making stupid claims just make it more difficult, just because everyone is all so accustomed to having to defend against the goons and their spurious nonsense. But still, the response you received seems unnecessary, even if you were one of those goons peddling spurious nonsense trying to take advantage of the AH.

I'm fortunate enough to say that I have only had good experiences with auction houses, with one notable exception that I also documented on this board (as my first post to boot). To the credit of the AH in that case, the situation was quickly resolved, albeit with what seemed to me to be a little unnecessary drama due to some communication failures.

Not that they're looking for my advice, but it does seem like some AHs might benefit from having a team in place to handle special customer situations/disputes. Even if not a full team, just one person who can take it, instead of the big man. With any luck, they would be a bit better trained to handle such situations with tact and grace. That way the big man (who might be less graceful/tactful) wouldn't have to get personally involved, which seems to be the common denominator between your situation and my one negative AH experience.

1963 Post complete panel
1964 Sports Heroes stickers
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 12-23-2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:05 AM
Steve Asmus

I agree after hearing this, Mile High is one to stay away from. People can defend him all they want, but bottom line is this. He has chosen to run an auction business, and guess what it is like any other retail business, if you have crappy service you're going to have less customers. If you're running an auction business and have been for quite some time, the 2 mistakes listed above are mistakes that should have been eliminated by having a good process in place after the auction. Sounds to me like they have a fly by the seat of their pants process in place. The sealer for me though was it doesn't matter who you are, when you flat out lie about never getting emails or lie about anything else, I'm done doing business with you. You are only as good as your word in business and in life.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:25 PM
Jeff R

I’m sorry to hear about your experience, that sounds really frustrating.

I live in Denver and have participated in Mile High auctions since 2017. Their old offices were located very close to my restaurant, hence I pick up winnings from them to save on shipping. They even ordered some pizza from me one night during their closing of an auction. I thought that was a nice gesture. I’ve never dealt with Brian, my contact down there is Ben. He’s a great guy, that I have always enjoyed talking with on my visits to their offices. I’ve never had any issues, but instead I’ve only had great interactions with Ben. I will also add that their old and new offices were always very well kept, everything looked organized and everyone I’ve met there has been nothing but friendly.

It’s a bummer to hear about Brian’s response to this situation and I hope it comes to an appropriate resolution.

Jeff Rogoff
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 12-23-2022, 12:40 PM
Chase

I get the frustration of the OP but I must be missing something because I am not seeing what exactly he has done wrong or how he was rude, condescending, irresponsible, etc etc, other than the OP assertions that he was.

I consider Mile High a pretty big operation and the fact that the owner has handed out his cellphone means he is pretty accessible. When things are not resolved to our satisfaction it is annoying but sometimes we need to place ourselves in other peoples' shoes to gain the proper perspective. Brian might be the owner of the company but I am confident a business of his size has people there more qualified to handle payment status of invoices, no?

And finally, I have done wires in the past and they have bounced back a week later because some minor thing was wrong on the wire instructions. Wondering if the OP has verified with his bank that the wire went through. Maybe the wire was initiated and it truly was not received by the Mile High.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:56 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'm not a huge fan of the "customer is always right" canard. . . . having had public facing jobs in my life. . . . .and the customer isn't always right . . . sometimes he's totally out of line obnoxious dick . . . . but this interaction sounds like the business owner just assumed from the git go that this guy was full of it or misinformed. Sort of a weird tact to take.

QUOTE=Lorewalker;2296994]I get the frustration of the OP but I must be missing something because I am not seeing what exactly he has done wrong or how he was rude, condescending, irresponsible, etc etc, other than the OP assertions that he was.

I consider Mile High a pretty big operation and the fact that the owner has handed out his cellphone means he is pretty accessible. When things are not resolved to our satisfaction it is annoying but sometimes we need to place ourselves in other peoples' shoes to gain the proper perspective. Brian might be the owner of the company but I am confident a business of his size has people there more qualified to handle payment status of invoices, no?

And finally, I have done wires in the past and they have bounced back a week later because some minor thing was wrong on the wire instructions. Wondering if the OP has verified with his bank that the wire went through. Maybe the wire was initiated and it truly was not received by the Mile High.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-23-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:02 PM
John D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal1010 View Post
I agree after hearing this, Mile High is one to stay away from. People can defend him all they want, but bottom line is this. He has chosen to run an auction business, and guess what it is like any other retail business, if you have crappy service you're going to have less customers. If you're running an auction business and have been for quite some time, the 2 mistakes listed above are mistakes that should have been eliminated by having a good process in place after the auction. Sounds to me like they have a fly by the seat of their pants process in place. The sealer for me though was it doesn't matter who you are, when you flat out lie about never getting emails or lie about anything else, I'm done doing business with you. You are only as good as your word in business and in life.
This sums it up. No excuse today to be ignorant cor condescending (which Andy's post clearly shows). There are plenty of auction houses that know how to treat customers right. This is not the first issue I've seen with Mile High. I'm sure some have had decent experiences but for my money, I'll spend it elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2022, 03:44 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

How was his record on removing trimmed and altered cards from his auctions?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
How was his record on removing trimmed and altered cards from his auctions?
It doesn't really speak to the overall question who he takes consignments from, but when I pointed out an obviously altered Tiger Woods RC he did take it down.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-23-2022, 04:25 PM

Andy - sorry to hear about your experience with Brian. I had a similar experience with him and Mile High earlier this year. Seems like a reoccurring theme.
Old 12-23-2022, 04:26 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

I know neither of the actors here, but it sure sounds like a business I would not want to work with. Mistakes happen and it sucks. But, how you fix the mistake says alot about you. I also don't excuse a business because they have to filter out other "bad actors." The OP says he has spent over $20K in a previous auction and had to fight to receive what he paid for after being accused of committing fraud himself. If I was in the same situation, upon discovering my company had royally screwed up, I guarantee you (1) the customer would receive a heartfelt "mea culpa" and promise to do better; and (2) that customer's name would go on a list of folks that deserve the benefit of the doubt in the future.

The only benefit of the OP's experience is that he hopefully has been burned enough by this guy to never deal with him in the future. Nobody deserves to be treated like that when pursuing a hobby they are supposed to be enjoying, especially when they are the ones trading their hard earned cash for a couple sheets of cardboard.

I have only had a couple problems come up while pursuing this hobby, and the big shops have bent over backwards to make things right. That is how you keep customers and grow your business.

If there is another side to this story, I would love to hear it, because the information presented so far paints a pretty bad picture of the AH.
Old 12-23-2022, 04:59 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Stuff trumps all

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-23-2022, 05:21 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Sorry to hear about your experience.
Hopefully after the holiday that find your wired transaction and get you your card.

Would love to hear from Mile high and see/ understand there side.

I guess I am fortunate as I have had only good experiences with them. I to have his cell which I thought was impressive for his accessibility

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-23-2022, 07:06 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_cvc View Post
I’m sorry to hear about your experience, that sounds really frustrating.

I live in Denver and have participated in Mile High auctions since 2017. Their old offices were located very close to my restaurant, hence I pick up winnings from them to save on shipping. They even ordered some pizza from me one night during their closing of an auction. I thought that was a nice gesture. I’ve never dealt with Brian, my contact down there is Ben. He’s a great guy, that I have always enjoyed talking with on my visits to their offices. I’ve never had any issues, but instead I’ve only had great interactions with Ben. I will also add that their old and new offices were always very well kept, everything looked organized and everyone I’ve met there has been nothing but friendly.

It’s a bummer to hear about Brian’s response to this situation and I hope it comes to an appropriate resolution.

Jeff Rogoff
Jeff,

If it was Ben Gassaway, he passed away this year. It’s on their main page.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com

Last edited by edjs; 12-23-2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:39 PM
James M.

Andy,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Hopefully this will get resolved quickly.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:47 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Not to defend Brian, but I'm guessing he's juggling a few things right now, plus probably on his guard for people looking to take advantage of his shop by making wild claims.
All due respect, this sounds exactly like a defense of Brian.

If a guy is claiming he didn't get emails that he actually responded to, then his business has a serious issue.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:04 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Helfr.ich

I've always had a good experience with MHCC and will continue to use them.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:23 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
All due respect, this sounds exactly like a defense of Brian.
Less a defense, and more a recognition of the realities associated with running a HA business. Not that it makes it right, and certainly the unprofessional AH behavior described by the OP isn’t defensible, even in extenuating circumstances.

1963 Post complete panel
1964 Sports Heroes stickers
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-24-2022, 05:24 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Thanks for letting us know Andy, best of luck with icky situation. Hope all(else) is well

C

Last edited by nineunder71; 12-24-2022 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-24-2022, 08:35 AM
Fred

Is this when we start posting about the AH that have great customer service and the AH primary will go above and beyond to keep the bidders happy? If so, I'm starting off with Al at Love of the Game. Incredible customer service, great person to deal with!

Getting back to the OP - wow, sounds like someone was having a real bad day.

Andy,

I've won a few lots from MH but the transactions were simple and completed without further communication.

Did you verify the transaction went through and the funds were actually transferred? If so, then we're back to "wow".

My guess is that if the transaction was completed and things are as you posted, then I'd be wondering what's up with MH. Sad to hear about the issue and you can only hope that things somehow can work themselves out. If the transaction did go through, then Brian will either have to ship the auction winnings to you and eat a little crow or refund your money and think hard about what occurred and perhaps learn something from this.
Old 12-24-2022, 08:45 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

People forget its the 2,3 and 4k items that were bought and consigned over the years that help establish some of these AHs. Now, if you dont have 50k or 50 luka rcs, they wont even call you back or care to help you. The day of reckoning is coming

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 12-24-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:15 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It's not really a card or auction house issue, it is a basic customer service issue. AHs are a service business. The customer most definitely is not always right, but there are ways to deal with customers PROFESSIONALLY in these situations. There are right and wrong ways to approach it, and many (most?) in this business need to learn that. Drent gets a completely different response from Andy if his reply is: "I'm really sorry there is an issue, I will take a look at it when I get back to work Monday. In the meantime, could you email me a copy of the wire confirmation?" I find that sort of approach, asking for proof of the assertion while reserving judgment until later, weeds out the frauds without ticking off the legitimate customers with real issues. Andy wants his cards, Drent wants his customer base; they are not really at odds in their goals, they just had a bad interaction that could have been avoided.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-24-2022, 11:54 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It's not really a card or auction house issue, it is a basic customer service issue. AHs are a service business. The customer most definitely is not always right, but there are ways to deal with customers PROFESSIONALLY in these situations. There are right and wrong ways to approach it, and many (most?) in this business need to learn that. Drent gets a completely different response from Andy if his reply is: "I'm really sorry there is an issue, I will take a look at it when I get back to work Monday. In the meantime, could you email me a copy of the wire confirmation?" I find that sort of approach, asking for proof of the assertion while reserving judgment until later, weeds out the frauds without ticking off the legitimate customers with real issues. Andy wants his cards, Drent wants his customer base; they are not really at odds in their goals, they just had a bad interaction that could have been avoided.
This is it....
Old 12-24-2022, 01:16 PM
Andy Geller

Funny you should ask. I did once buy a 1971 topps rack pack that he apparently was already told was not real. When I got it I emailed Steve at BBCE and he told me it was fake. MHCC offered for me to send it in to get authenticated. I told him I already spoke to Steve and was alerted it was fake. He did take it back.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:19 PM
Andy Geller

Yes. As long as all goes well, you’ll be fine. It’s when something goes wrong that you will see this terrible side. But I hope that doesn’t happen to you. I do use literally every auction house and have never had an issue with any of them. Ever.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:22 PM
Andy Geller

Agree about LOTG and Al. He’s the best. I actually did post a thread on FB yesterday praising Al and LOTG, coincidentally enough!

An update to the fiasco is the later in the evening yesterday I got an automated email with tracking of my package and then a human emailed me giving me my tracking number (so two emails). So clearly they found the money.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:25 PM
Cory

Default MH

Andy, thx for sharing your experience and updates. This and the other sources you share online are read and folks do take note.
Thx,
Cory Weiser
Old 12-24-2022, 01:26 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Agree about LOTG and Al. He’s the best. I actually did post a thread on FB yesterday praising Al and LOTG, coincidentally enough!

An update to the fiasco is the later in the evening yesterday I got an automated email with tracking of my package and then a human emailed me giving me my tracking number (so two emails). So clearly they found the money.
Andy its an unfortunate situation you find yourself in with them. Best to take your delivery and wish them well and move onto another AH.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:28 PM
Andy Geller

Bingo! On the contrary however, he was adversarial from the get go, as if I was trying to pull one over on him. It wasn’t until he started saying “Andy, I don’t know what to tell you…” that I remembered him from the previous year’s issue. He kept saying jt. “Andy, I don’t know what to tell you…we don’t have your money.” “Andy, I don’t know what to tell you, I’ve never received any of your emails”. It was the same wording from last year, “andy, I don’t know what to tell you, we mailed your cards”. Anyone that knows this guy likely can attest that this must be his go to phrase.
Old 12-24-2022, 04:43 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

If I were Brian, I would come on the board to tell his side of the story and if necessary, apologize for his behavior.
IMO Net 54 carries some weight in the hobby, and I don't believe he needs any adverse publicity.
Old 12-24-2022, 05:08 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Considering how many auction houses are guilty of or run by fraudsters and thieves (some convicted), I doubt bad publicity does much harm to an auction house. It's always forgotten and ignored by the next auction.
Old 12-24-2022, 05:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Considering how many auction houses are guilty of or run by fraudsters and thieves (some convicted), I doubt bad publicity does much harm to an auction house. It's always forgotten and ignored by the next auction.
Sadly, this is the truest statement in the entire thread.
Old 12-24-2022, 05:36 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Accurate
Old 12-25-2022, 10:00 AM
Andy Geller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
If I were Brian, I would come on the board to tell his side of the story and if necessary, apologize for his behavior.
IMO Net 54 carries some weight in the hobby, and I don't believe he needs any adverse publicity.
I doubt he even cares. Based on a lot of feedback I’ve received, this is his MO. Fortunately there are many AH’s around and I use them all.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:54 AM
Bill K@sel

100% agree with Al and LOTG. I've only ever had fantastic results when working with them/him.

As for Brian and Mile High? I'm won't bother ever looking at another of their auctions again, regardless if he comes on the board and tries to defend himself. I work in a customer service based industry and his demeanor, arrogance and lack of tact has no place in business.

PLENTY of other AH's to bid at.

Thanks for sharing Andy, and happy to hear your cards are en route.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post

Old 12-26-2022, 10:38 AM
Andy Geller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkm_bky View Post
100% agree with Al and LOTG. I've only ever had fantastic results when working with them/him.

As for Brian and Mile High? I'm won't bother ever looking at another of their auctions again, regardless if he comes on the board and tries to defend himself. I work in a customer service based industry and his demeanor, arrogance and lack of tact has no place in business.

PLENTY of other AH's to bid at.

Thanks for sharing Andy, and happy to hear your cards are en route.

Bill
For sure. Same here. I always treat customers and suppliers with respect, regardless of size.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:37 PM
Paul Lehr

I hope they find the wire and the OP gets his cards soon.
Aside from that, MHCC still gets quality consignments and I'm sure will continue to do so in the future. With that being said, Brian Drent really has nothing to gain by posting here and defending himself as someone suggested he do; so I'd be shocked if he did.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:29 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
Aside from that, MHCC still gets quality consignments and I'm sure will continue to do so in the future. With that being said, Brian Drent really has nothing to gain by posting here and defending himself as someone suggested he do; so I'd be shocked if he did.
Paul,

You must have missed Andy's post #27 where he mentions how he ended up finally getting an email with the tracking number for his cards. So apparently the AH did find the wire money he had sent them, and has now forwarded his cards. But sadly, no follow-up apology it seems came his way from the party at the AH he originally spoke with about his winnings.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:52 PM
Jeff R

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Jeff,

If it was Ben Gassaway, he passed away this year. It’s on their main page.
Ed, thank you for letting me know.

I last spoke with Ben in March when I had won some items. I remember picking up the items with my son, Sam. Ben was so kind to take the time and ask Sam about himself and they talked baseball and golf. I’m really saddened to hear this news, he was always someone I looked forward to seeing and enjoy some friendly banter. You’ll be missed Ben, sending prayers to your family.
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 12-26-2022, 08:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
Not a chance, not his style.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:32 AM
Dave Wilson

I'm not surprised to hear this about Brian. I had 2 back to back bad experiences with him after recent auctions. And very similar scenarios to what you explained. I sure hope you get this worked out. David Wilson
Old 12-27-2022, 06:49 AM
Tom Boblitt

I saw this on Tobacco Row and my only comment is I have no idea how you can 'miss' a wire if you are actually paying attention to your business. When one of my auctions is done, I take payment via PP, Zelle, Wire, Check, MO, etc. I'm hawking the account hourly to see what has come in and what needs to go out. I realize my auction is a pittance of MHCC but I have notifications set up to send me texts when a wire or Zelle comes in and they are 100% accurate. Sounds like the cards are on the way and it's in the carrier's hands now. Hopefully there's no issues there......
Old 12-27-2022, 07:37 AM
Glyn Parson

I have had nothing but excellent experiences in my dealings with Brian. In fact maybe 5-6 years ago, on Christmas Day, a customer of mine let me know of an issue he had in one of Brian’s auctions. I sent Brian a note and he responded to me on Christmas and called my friend and fixed his minor issue. I am very sorry you had to deal with this it seems unfair but I just wanted to put it out there that this has not been my personal experiences with Brian who has always been friendly and professional in all my dealings with him. Glad this seems to have been resolved. I understand an apology would be nice but if it were me I’d be happiest the cards were coming. My bruised feelings would get over it.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:32 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I have had nothing but excellent experiences in my dealings with Brian. In fact maybe 5-6 years ago, on Christmas Day, a customer of mine let me know of an issue he had in one of Brian’s auctions. I sent Brian a note and he responded to me on Christmas and called my friend and fixed his minor issue. I am very sorry you had to deal with this it seems unfair but I just wanted to put it out there that this has not been my personal experiences with Brian who has always been friendly and professional in all my dealings with him. Glad this seems to have been resolved. I understand an apology would be nice but if it were me I’d be happiest the cards were coming. My bruised feelings would get over it.
+1. Grossly out of character for the Brian I know.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
+1. Grossly out of character for the Brian I know.
One of the things I've learned in life is that people treat different people very differently. My experience with someone may be 180 degrees from your experience.

This wasn't the OPs first experience with Brian. So I suspect there is history here that colored this latest interaction a fair amount. Prob on both sides.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-27-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For transparency MHCC is an advertiser and Brian is a hobby friend, the latter for 20+ years.
I think it was just a crappy conversation, no more and no less. Brian doesn't rip anyone off.
If he saw an email or wire transfer, why would he say he didn't? That doesn't make any sense. I am glad the situation got worked out.

Reminds me of this card....N354 Consolidated and Paxi Cigarettes

Last edited by Leon; 12-27-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:22 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default How Fitting

Love those two cards. Great job of matching the situation covered in this thread to the hobby. This was an interesting thread to follow. A couple of years ago I wrote a couple of columns about how when it comes to dealing with auction houses, do not judge them by how much money they bring in for one of your consignments. That's completely arbitrary and not in their control. Judge them by the customer service they provide and give them your business accordingly. Peace.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:36 AM
J@E R1T0

I realize there are always two sides to every story, but the OP sure seems to have done everything right and is a big spender. You can't run a business dumping on the good customers- you have to make it right 100% of the time!

Honestly, Mile High is off my list now. When I hear things like this, I remove these sellers from consideration. Too many choices to put up with horrible customer service. What a tool....

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:54 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
I realize there are always two sides to every story, but the OP sure seems to have done everything right and is a big spender. You can't run a business dumping on the good customers- you have to make it right 100% of the time!

Honestly, Mile High is off my list now. When I hear things like this, I remove these sellers from consideration. Too many choices to put up with horrible customer service. What a tool....
But it's ok to dump on us little cheap guys? Just pulling your leg, I'm sure we all know what was meant. I just couldn't resist.

Last edited by Fred; 12-27-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Closed Thread