NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Default NEW R-UNCATALOGED ISSUE? 1930's Wolverine Gum "Sky Writer Gum-Baseball Greats"

Neat issue that I had never heard of nor had I ever read anything about.

Wolverine Gum (of Detroit) is undeniably best known for their very popular 1937 R21 Ripley's Believe It Or Not series.

The nature of this series probably led to it's rarity as one was asked to essentially destroy the item in order to find the answer to the quiz question. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the wrapper/card that I picked up does not have the answer visible, but if it did it would date the issue very conclusively. The patent number on front refers to the pyro-technology of applying heat to display a hidden image and was issued in 1930 so it can't be from before then. My guess would be from the 1935-39 era or so as that was the era of the Overland Candy set along with others like the non-sports "Guess What" series, etc. I also venture that the answer to the posed question may be Bob Feller, which would date it to 1937.

Anyways, obviously it will not win any type of beauty contests as an issue but I was pretty excited to find it as I had never heard of anything like this. IMO it is a fairly significant find even if only a handful will probably care. I tried illumination with light source but couldn't see an answer on the item and will try a blacklight at some point but it may not still be visible after so much time.

Anyways, here it is in all it's simplistic glory...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562