NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2021, 11:38 AM

Default ". . . buying T206s at antique stores for 35 cents apiece." What's YOUR cool story?

I was reading Keith Olbermann's recounting of when he was 11 he would go to antique stores with his mom and, boom, there they were. Before anyone cared about backs or factories.

Not to sound like Nell walking out of the woods for the first time, but who's got a cool story like his to share? Getting them for low, low prices is certainly part of it, but it wasn't just because it was a long time ago, but also because very few folks seemed to *really* pursue the set like now. And differentiating twixt backs and locations, would be very cool to know about those collectors or investors on the leading edge of, "Wait . . . why do I have 83 Piedmonts and five Carolina Brights?" and decided to investigate.

I've read plenty on other sites, but most of that is from an investigative pov. Wondering about any personal experiences!
Chuck
Old 10-18-2021, 11:53 AM
Joe M.

Purchased 3 Cobb’s from SCD in the 1980’s, Green, Bat off, bat on for $265.00. All grade SGC 50 to 70. Sold 2 years ago. Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 10-18-2021, 12:05 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

But you didn't kill yourself about it. Well done.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:10 PM
J@mes In.gram

Bought an Official Harridge Reach American League baseball signed by Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Ty Cobb (authenticated by Harvey Brandwein) for $500 in 1988 at Chanute AFB, Illinois. According to Mr. Brandwein, the ball was probably signed in 1934. Yes, you could buy cards and memorabilia very, very cheap. But at the time, $500 clams seemed like a crazy amount of money to shell out for a baseball signed by anyone.

Last edited by jingram058; 10-18-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:54 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I'm a 90's baby, so I missed out on a lot of the bargains that are only bargains in retrospect. I've had some luck in 'real time bargains', where I got a card for much less than it's value.

Got a 52 Bowman Mays, missing a small piece of a corner but nice looking, for around $50 a few years ago. That was a steal even then. Found a T206 Young (hand showing) in an antique shop on the east coast on a work trip, paid $50 and traded it quickly. Would love the other Young pitching, not a big fan of the image on the no glove card.

And then I got this, my biggest bargain by a long shot, a couple weeks ago for $100 after Uncle Sam got his cut. This is the boxing T card equivalent of finding 8 pre-production T206 Wagner's on a sheet. Which mean's its worth way less than 1% of those Wagners, but it's a heck of a bargain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0675 copy.jpg (78.1 KB, 573 views)
Old 10-18-2021, 04:10 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I'm a 90's baby, so I missed out on a lot of the bargains that are only bargains in retrospect. I've had some luck in 'real time bargains', where I got a card for much less than it's value.

Got a 52 Bowman Mays, missing a small piece of a corner but nice looking, for around $50 a few years ago. That was a steal even then. Found a T206 Young (hand showing) in an antique shop on the east coast on a work trip, paid $50 and traded it quickly. Would love the other Young pitching, not a big fan of the image on the no glove card.

And then I got this, my biggest bargain by a long shot, a couple weeks ago for $100 after Uncle Sam got his cut. This is the boxing T card equivalent of finding 8 pre-production T206 Wagner's on a sheet. Which mean's its worth way less than 1% of those Wagners, but it's a heck of a bargain.
What in the ever-loving F(&@^)#&^@!!! You just bought sheets of T220 silvers for $100??? Everyone else loses. Forever.

EDIT: Please share any story and tons of pics. My jaw is on the floor.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 10-18-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:00 PM
Al Stein

There used to be a really cool card shop in the Chicago Loop in the 90's, just off Michigan Avenue. They had a weekly auction where they put all the cards up on the wall and you would write down your bid on a sheet attached to the card.

Once in a while I would bring my 9 year old son into the shop with me. He was in awe there, he would talk to me in a whisper like he was in church.

The bidding always started at $1 and he would bid on a few cards. The cards were mostly vintage baseball but they also had modern cards and other sports in the auctions. My son won a Shaquille O'Neal card one time for I think $10. The card is now worth about $1000 so he did good on that one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk