NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-05-2020, 03:46 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Here is a scan of the Salada 180 back coin.
Thanks for the scan of the Salada 180 back; looks very different than the 200 version.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:54 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Day 5 (January 5, 2020 – 005)

I thought the program for “Thanks Brooks” day would be a good idea for Day 5. With this I’m “sure” you’re thinking, how organized this guy is posting a “5” on Day 5 (or maybe you’re thinking how smart; I’m sure you’re thinking something… ). Anyway, I remember the year of Lou Brock (David W) thread where he starts off at the beginning of Lou’s career and goes through his career like a well-oiled machine; this thread will not be like that, at all, and will surely be a hodgepodge of unorganized mass mayhem, but that Day 5 was something to remember…

Day 5 a Number 5.jpg

By the way #5 is my favorite number…anyone have an off the wall guess at my favorite color?!?

I’ll likely post more concerning “Thanks Brooks” day, but just a few things to mention about this day in history. Brooks saw no need for him to be celebrated. The O’s, on several occasions, had shown the spotlight on him. General Manager Hank Peters and Public Relations Director Bob Brown had to talk Brooks into it saying it was for the fans. Brooks ultimately agreed on the condition that all proceeds he received would be donated to charity (Johns Hopkins Children’s Center and the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation).

One last note about “Thanks Brooks” day (for now); at the game Rawlings gave Brooks 16 replacement Gold Glove awards since he had given or donated almost all of them (with the exception of, I think, two). Of course he ultimately sold the 16 Rawlings replacement GG awards in a 2015 Heritage Auction, and donated 100% of the proceeds to charity. Brooks said prior to the auction, “I’ve always tried to teach them (his children) to give back, and so that’s what I’ve decided to do.”

I’ve included a program that advertised the upcoming “Thanks Brooks” day.

1977 Orioles program

Day 5 b 2.jpg
Old 01-05-2020, 09:01 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Hi Mark:

I just saw this thread and am so very pleased you're doing it....It's ironic that back in 1982-83, I partly got started on a Cal Ripken Jr. collection because I couldn't afford a lot of the Brooks Robinson stuff that was out there...However over these many years, I have managed to pick up some Brooks things here and there (and we did give our youngest son the middle name of Brooks).

I've posted these on the Board in other topics but in case you missed them:

Here is the Orioles line up card from Game 3 of the 1970 W.S. that manager Earl Weaver had taped to the dugout wall (an usher gave it to a fan after the game was over). It was the game that not only Dave McNally hit a Grand Slam, becoming the first and only only pitcher to do so, but also the game in which Brooks made that diving catch to his left off Johnny Bench, which has become an iconic photo to this day..

This is the pitching chart that was kept my Scott McGregor on 04/19/77 vs. Cleveland, which most Brooks fans will remember him hitting an exciting 3 run Walk Off HR in the 10th inning, which ultimately was his last (which he signed for me a few years ago):

I'm looking forward to your posts as well as to see what other people have.

Happy New Year

Bill
Old 01-05-2020, 11:56 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson AND the BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for posting your AWESOME items. Does it get any better than an Orioles ‘70 World Series line up card? Might as well stop the thread at Day 5 and just pack it in . It was a good run while it lasted...

Well, I may want to truck along a few more days. Just remember I titled the thread on purpose. Brooks Robinson AND the Baltimore Orioles. Also, as a side note post anything “remotely” associated; that can cover a lot of ground, but definitely includes the Ripken family.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:26 PM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Here is my contribution for today, but I'm afraid I need some help identifying this bobblehead. I picked it up 10-15 years ago, but haven't found anyone that has seen it before. I'm guessing it's from the 90's and it is fairly heavy. Some people I've talked to believe it's a custom, which is quite possible. However, both the Orioles on the shirt and Brooks Robinson on the base are raised up and not just painted on. Cool bobblehead that Brooks autographed before I got it. Anyone with any info is appreciated. Someday, maybe I can ask Brooks himself if he knows anything about it. There is nothing to identify either the manufacturer or a sponsor. Bobblehead collectors HELP!!!

Brooks Robinson (Unknown).jpg

Really love the number of people contributing and enjoying the thread. Mark, very glad you got the ball rolling.

Last edited by BaltOrioles; 01-06-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:42 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here my contribution for today, but I'm afraid I need some help identifying this bobblehead. I picked it up 10-15 years ago, but haven't found anyone that has seen it before. I'm guessing it's from the 90's and it is fairly heavy. Some people I've talked to believe it's a custom, which is quite possible. However, both the Orioles on the shirt and Brooks Robinson on the base are raised up and not just painted on. Cool bobblehead that Brooks autographed before I got it. Anyone with any info is appreciated. Someday, maybe I can ask Brooks himself if he knows anything about it. There is nothing to identify either the manufacturer or a sponsor. Bobblehead collectors HELP!!!

Really love the number of people contributing and enjoying the thread. Mark, very glad you got the ball rolling.
It looks like a custom, but if so that be tough since the Orioles is raised and the Brooks Robinson is raised as you stated. If it’s not a custom I don’t have a clue on it since I have not seen another like it. Hopefully we’ll have a bobblehead expert on here to reply.

Some great items being shown so far in my view. The reason for starting the thread was to hopefully have collectors engaged and take part (not just O’s fans). Hope it continues thru the year.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:13 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson and the Baltimore Orioles

Day 6 (January 6, 2020 – 006)

Mid 70’s Baltimore Orioles caricature, “Be a birdwatcher”, poster. The original art, made into this poster, was by an artist Ghee. Ghee, a local artist, did the artwork that was pictured on one of their official scorecards in ’74 as well picturing the Gold Glove winners (Belanger, Blair, Grich and Robinson). I used to see the poster often when I was younger, but don’t see it very often anymore. The poster, at least to me, screams the 70’s.

Day 6 a.jpg

I found the ’74 Scorecard as well so might as well picture the thing…

Day 6 b part 2 resize.jpg
Old 01-05-2020, 03:27 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
This is the pitching chart that was kept my Scott McGregor on 04/19/77 vs. Cleveland, which most Brooks fans will remember him hitting an exciting 3 run Walk Off HR in the 10th inning, which ultimately was his last (which he signed for me a few years ago):

Bill
Bill,

This is a nice piece where I think you added to it by getting Brooks to sign it with the last HR and date. You ARE a Brooks collector
Old 01-09-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Hi Mark:

I just saw this thread and am so very pleased you're doing it....It's ironic that back in 1982-83, I partly got started on a Cal Ripken Jr. collection because I couldn't afford a lot of the Brooks Robinson stuff that was out there...However over these many years, I have managed to pick up some Brooks things here and there (and we did give our youngest son the middle name of Brooks).

I've posted these on the Board in other topics but in case you missed them:

Here is the Orioles line up card from Game 3 of the 1970 W.S. that manager Earl Weaver had taped to the dugout wall (an usher gave it to a fan after the game was over). It was the game that not only Dave McNally hit a Grand Slam, becoming the first and only only pitcher to do so, but also the game in which Brooks made that diving catch to his left off Johnny Bench, which has become an iconic photo to this day..

Happy New Year

Bill
The pitching chart from the game where Brooks hit is final HR is a great item. As I had only started following baseball and the Orioles the season before, that HR is unfortunately one of my only memories of him playing. I remember listening to the game on WFMD, which was the Orioles station in Frederick, MD. The game was tied and went into extra innings when the Indians took the lead in the top of the 10th. The thing I remember about listening to the game was that Brooks fouled off a number of pitches, which just increased the drama with each pitch. When he hit the HR I was ecstatic, and my dad excitedly came to my room to see if I'd heard the HR as he'd been listening to the game in his room as well.

Thanks for sharing the pitching chart and reminding me of that great memory of Brooks and my dad.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:06 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Day 10 (January 10, 2020 – 010)

We can learn on Day 10, if you haven’t already, to not smoke cigarettes (I’m not the judge). This is a small poster ad from The American Cancer Society picturing Brooks fielding in a game shot from 1969 which states, “I don’t smoke cigarettes”.

Day 10 a ad.jpg

Below is the B&W shot of the same pose used for the ACS advertisement. Notice they took his right hand out within the poster ad. Also, they took out the BIRDLAND

Day 10 b.jpg

I’ve also included an advertising piece that was on the back cover of an ACS booklet entitled “Where there’s Smoke…” There’s a couple popular athletes shown along with Brooks.

Day 10 c.jpg
Old 01-10-2020, 02:34 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Merv Rettenmund

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy). Clint has some great Oriole jersey's in his collection and this is one of them. Below is a Merv Rettenmund 1972 Baltimore road jersey.

Merv Rettenmund 1.jpg

Merv Rettenmund 2.jpg

Merv Rettenmund c (2).jpg
Old 01-10-2020, 05:02 AM

Default Brooks Trivia

I have always like the cartoon on the back of the 1973 OPC Brooks card. I like the french writing and the drawing is great.

Question Who was the first ball player to refer to Brooks a vacuum cleaner?

Answer- Pete Richert referred to Brooks as a vacuum cleaner on May 20.1967 when he was traded from the Washington Senators. Pete was quoted as saying" It will be nice to have the vacuum cleaner behind me"- Lee May is probably the first man to have shortened the nickname to "Hoover"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks Trivia .jpg (67.0 KB, 245 views)
Old 01-26-2020, 08:11 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleerfan View Post
The pitching chart from the game where Brooks hit is final HR is a great item. As I had only started following baseball and the Orioles the season before, that HR is unfortunately one of my only memories of him playing. I remember listening to the game on WFMD, which was the Orioles station in Frederick, MD. The game was tied and went into extra innings when the Indians took the lead in the top of the 10th. The thing I remember about listening to the game was that Brooks fouled off a number of pitches, which just increased the drama with each pitch. When he hit the HR I was ecstatic, and my dad excitedly came to my room to see if I'd heard the HR as he'd been listening to the game in his room as well.

Thanks for sharing the pitching chart and reminding me of that great memory of Brooks and my dad.
FleerFan, I thought you'd like to see a ticket stub to that game as well. With less than 4900 fans in attendance that evening, I wonder how many of these survived!

Old 01-26-2020, 12:15 PM
Alan Strout

Default Boog Powell

To celebrate the 26th, I thought I'd remember the great Boog Powell, #26 most of his career, with pics of his minor league programs. Boog made his debut with the Orioles in 1961 and never looked back. In my opinion, his defense was often overlooked playing in the same infield with guys like Brooks Robinson, Luis Aparicio, Mark Belanger, Davey Johnson and Bobby Grich.

Boog is still a favorite around Camden Yards and can often be seen signing autographs next to Boogs BBQ. Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota, home of the spring training Orioles, has added a Boogs BBQ in left field.

1959 Bluefield Orioles

1959 Bluefield Orioles.jpg

1960 Fox Cities Foxes

1960 Fox Cities Foxes.jpg

1961 Rochester Red Wings

1961 Rochester Red Wings.jpg
Old 01-26-2020, 01:58 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
To celebrate the 26th, I thought I'd remember the great Boog Powell, #26 most of his career, with pics of his minor league programs. Boog made his debut with the Orioles in 1961 and never looked back. In my opinion, his defense was often overlooked playing in the same infield with guys like Brooks Robinson, Luis Aparicio, Mark Belanger, Davey Johnson and Bobby Grich.

Boog is still a favorite around Camden Yards and can often be seen signing autographs next to Boogs BBQ. Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota, home of the spring training Orioles, has added a Boogs BBQ in left field.

1959 Bluefield Orioles

1960 Fox Cities Foxes

1961 Rochester Red Wings
Those are some great looking programs. I’m with you that Boog’s defense was often overlooked.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:44 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
FleerFan, I thought you'd like to see a ticket stub to that game as well. With less than 4900 fans in attendance that evening, I wonder how many of these survived!

Awesome ticket!
Old 01-27-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing the picture of the ticket stub from the game. In addition to wondering how many ticket stubs survived, I wonder how many of the 4,900 actually stuck around for the end of the extra innings game.