NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default Amazing find of unopened boxes (Star Player Candy, Tattoo orbits, many more)

Posted By: Art M.

Not sure if anybody has posted about this recent find. Amazing pictures and article including unopened box and packs of Star Player candy cards including Walter Johnson (previously uncatalogued). Here is the link:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest-sports-collecting-news/cache-of-1930s-unopened-wax-boxes-found.html

Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Default Amazing find of unopened boxes (Star Player Candy, Tattoo orbits, many more)

Posted By: dennis

this has to be the oldest "packs" find ever. thanks for posting.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

As Jeff Prizner so eloquently says: "Dibs!"

Old 03-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Whoa!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

Once again Robert Edward Auctions has proven itself to be the premiere source for the super rare
heretofore undiscovered and truly world class collectibles.

When one goes back before World War II, it is remarkable to realize how many great finds can be
attributed to the brilliant work of Sir Robert.

With a staff of two, he outsmarts "larger dealers' with 30 or 40 people, manages to uncover a plethora
of one of a kind collectibles and pays consignors in a a third of the time that his major competitors do.

Congratulations to Robert and his latest history making acheivement

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

that is amazing...reminds me of a candy distributor I used to go to as a kid when I visited my grandma on staten island. I'd buy unopened boxes of topps cards.and this was before you could just "buy unopened boxes of cards!"

Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jantz

Now thats an interesting find. I'll be curious to see some of the prices this stuff goes for.

Brad Green is going to hit the floor when he sees those Lefty discs.

Jantz

Edited because I could hear my english teacher's voice yelling at me.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator

I don't like the way you guys are lusting after my cards!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Just Wow...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

I like how Rob is 'speechless', yet he finds the strength... Great stuff and a reason to keep going into attics.

Bill

Old 03-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Thanks a lot for outing this. happy.gif

Old 03-03-2009, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

I am back up from "hitting the floor"... I call "dibs" on the Lefty Grove disks!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Brad,

Sorry. I had the first "dibs" post at 9:57 PM. I'll consider selleing you any dupes... Maybe.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn

If you were to win "one" of the Babe Ruth Star Player cards still in the wrapper, would you leave it as is or would you take it out of the wrapper???

Can it be graded while sealed in this type of wrapper?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Rob and I spoke about these a few days ago and they are truly great items. It's nice to see this kind of hoard in a somewhat pristine state. regards

Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

cool find... and congrats on the pickup Jim!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Thanks Jeff,

At least someone understands "dibs".

I'm thinking of reselling these before I actually own them, by listing them on several different boards, at different prices.

As long as I have a couple of good business models, I might as well blend them together!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

If I currently had a Star Player Candy Ruth in my possession, my first thought would be "Sell! Sell! Sell!"

James

Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

If I had four Ruth's...I'd keep one. I'd be tempted to open up the package and bust it loose too. If they've been valued at 20k, obviously putting four on the market is going to drop the value down some.

I'm wondering what the previously unknown Johnson will go for?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I'd have a hard time opening up one of those packages. And for what it's worth, the value of the Ruth in NM will surely go down due to the sudden influx into the market of these examples. As someone who loves the Star Player Candy issue, I'm not sure I've ever seen a cooler find. Has there ever been a find of cards inside a pack with gum from an earlier date?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

"The find will also clear up a misconception that the W553 set was a 'strip card' issue. The unopened find includes cards inside wrapped Marble Gum Novelties packs. They are likely the earliest sports card gum cards ever issued."

What about Colgan's? They predate W553 by 20 years.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

what this is?

[linked image]

Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Pretty incredible find!

The "Star Player Candy" find in this case is the set that we had been calling the 1929 Set (apparently it's a multi-sport issue by Dockman's), not the blank backed 1928 set, so the majority of "Star Player Candy" cards will see no price drop.

This is what came in the "Double-Header" wrapper. The ones with #1 on bottom fit neatly into those with #2 on bottom to make a double sided "coin". I had only ever seen one or two of those wrappers prior to this.
[linked image] [linked image]
-Rhett

Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Dan, don't forget about the G & B's. They pre-date the W553's by a little!
-Rhett

Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator

I didn't even think about the G&B issue...that adds another 20 years, so in actuality the W553 are predated by 40 years for the first gum issue.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

In the mid 1990's, I went to a paper show and was lucky enough to find 16 of the 1928 Star Player Candy cards for sale. The dealer said these cards were ones that his Father had bought as a child. I thought it was strange that among the 16 cards there were no duplicates.

Now, if the cards were made by the same company and wrapped in the same type of packaging, I can understand why there were no dupes.

(Sad part of the story, I didn't know what these cards were and had to go out to the car and look at my big SCD price guide to see if I could find what they were and if they were real or not. When I came back to buy the cards, the Ruth and Gehrig had been sold.)

David

Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Rhett, good point on the 29 v. 28 sets. But is "Dockman's" the same Dockman's of E92 fame?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Administrator

It is the same Dockman's from all we can tell. Rob and I matched up the candy that was found, and the type of printing, with his consignment and some Dockman's items I have and they match up very well. Those are a few of the ways we were able to verify they are the same "Dockman's". regards

Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

This is truly amazing. A newly discovered Star Candy Johnson (issued in 1929? why?) The first ever discovery of Star Candy packaging, and association of the set with Dockman's. (Will the name of the set now be changed? Does the Star Candy name appear anywhere on the Dockman's box?)

An entirely new set of cards with Lefty Grove (in at least two color variations, Brad).

It's all just amazing.

But the strangest thing to me is the claim that W553s are not strip cards. Maybe they were issued in both strip and factory cut forms. If none of them were issued as strips, it sure seems odd that children's scissors had a particular affinity for this set of cards.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator

I agree about the W553's and even told Rob that (handcut) ones are all over the place. I know I have seen a preponderance of them be handcut, including my type and many I have bought and sold. The W553's he has are NOT sports so maybe the sports were strips and the others weren't? It's an interesting situation. best regards

Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Just within the last year there were some W553's found in a scrapbook that were still in their vertical strips. So, this tends to indicate that they were probably available both ways -- as singles with a product (as in the REA find) and as strips. I believe someone here on the forum eventually came forward and admitted they had bought the strips from the ebay auction.
-Rhett

Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Any of those discs like the Grove and others? I've never seen anything like that. ODD that they wouldn't have appeared before now (if they haven't). Incredible find though. Absolutely incredible.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Maybe the Star Player Candy name was used for the 1928 set (baseball and football cards) and then changed for the 1929 set when additional subjects from other areas of interest were added?

Another possibility, though probably quite small in this instance, is that the Star Player Candy box was damaged or thrown away and these cards were put into a Dockmans box.

David

Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Here is the problem I have with Dockmans being the maker of Star Player Candy cards.

If the Dockman Company was located in Baltimore and the Star Player Candy cards are so rare then how did the cards I bought in the 1990's originate from the Mid West? I mean, if an East Coast candy maker was having their cards distributed as far away as the Mid West then shouldn't there be MORE Star Player Candy cards available?

In Issue 11 of the Old Cardboard Magazine, there is a story about Star Player Candy cards. Since I am the one who first brought to light the Buddy Myer card, I was asked by Mr. Hardeman if I could supply a photo of the card so it could be used in the story. While talking to him it came out that one person owns a majority of the cards pictured in the article.

So, if that person owns over 50 of the cards, I own 16 and a fellow board member just sold 47 cards in a recent Heritage Auction then that would be less than 200 cards known. Add in cards that people have as a type card and you still don't have a lot of total known cards.

Also, the article in Old Cardboard mentions the fact that there are NOT a lot of New York players represented in the set. Of the known subjects, 2/3's are of players from the American League. No NY Giants players are pictured while the Braves, Dodgers, Phillies and Pirates have only one player pictured. The Yankees, as would be expected, have nine players pictured. Meanwhile, there are 10 known subjects from the Chicago Cubs.

Again, if this were a widely distributed set which was manufactured in Baltimore then WHY are there not more cards out there and why weren't there many New York players represented in the set?

Even with this Dockman box being found, I still tend to think the Star Player Candy cards were a regional set made and sold in the Mid West. But that is just my opinion, so feel free to discuss/argue my point.

David

Old 03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator

I just received an email from Rob L with some additional info. I will cut and paste so as not to mangle the translation....

"Hi Leon! The 1929 Dockman's issue is entitled "Headliners" and features various subjects. The 1928 set features only baseball players. My theory: It is likely the header card advertised "Star Players", and probably read "Star Players and Gum" just like the 1929 issue header card reads "Headliners and Gum". I know it's impossible to know but I think this is very possible. I put a picture of the entire Dockman's box as it was displayed at the candy store on the REA blog."
Sincerely, Rob L

Old 03-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Question; of the known football players in the 1928 set, are they of players from the East Coast or the Mid West?

I don't know that much about football from that time period so I don't know if there were more "star" players playing in the East or Mid West, like there were in the late 1800's and early 1900's (Harvard, Yale) and which were pictured in the Mayo set.

David

P.S. - I ask so many questions and put forth so many off the wall ideas because this set really fascinates me. Sorry if it is too much or if it bothers others on the board.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Bland

The 1929 Walter Johnson is new, but there has been a 1928 SPC Walter Johnson listed in SGC's population reports for some time - they list one graded, an SGC 10. I have never seen the card, so I am not sure if it uses the same pose as the '29.

It is fascinating to see the packaging - I remember when I bought the group of 43 from an original collector, I was amazed that there were no duplicates - now I understand why. Also leads one to believe that there would be a higher population of Ruth's, Cobb's remaining since collectors could seemingly pick and choose who they wanted to buy. Awesome stuff...

Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Chris, do you know what geographical area the collector you bought your cards from originally bought the cards?

I ask because my cards originated from the Mid West and, if I remember correctly, the majority of the cards pictured in Issue 11 of the Old Cardboard Magazine article came from a collection that originated in the Mid West. Maybe Mr. Hardeman can confirm this.

David

Edited for spelling

Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

One last thing or question and I will sit back and be quiet for awhile.

G & B cards are known as gum cards.

Colgan's chips are known as gum cards.

The first Dockman's are known as gum cards.

The newly discovered box in the upcoming REA Auction says "headliners and GUM" on it but, for as long as they have been known, the cards in question have been called Star Player CANDY cards.

Why are they called candy cards if they came with gum? The other cards (G & B, Colgan's, etc.) weren't labled that way.

Just seems odd to me.

David

Old 03-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Do those Tattoo Orbit's house the R308 and not the R305 cards? To my understanding, the R305 series was not released with the "Pirate Ship" design and only in clear one-cent packages.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Luciano

I love all the new questions that this find has produced.It is like a good old fashion who done it.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

One question I haven't seen posted yet: Were the 1929 non-baseball "Headliners and Gum" cards previously known?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Really incredible find, I have only been able to find unopened Diamond Stars and few Goudey packs. Great story and I will be watching the auction

Jimmy

Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I can't wait to see what else Rob has in store for us!

Any boxing perhaps happy.gif

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal

WOW!! I've been a lurker (and infrequent poster) on this board for several years, and this is the most amazing thing I've seen. Does anyone know if Old Cardboard will be running an article on this find? Congrats to Rob and I hope the auction goes well. Also, in addition to the above mentioned sets, E105's are also known as gum cards (though E223 of course has them all beat).

Old 03-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John K

It looks like the Tattoo Orbits are Flags Of All Nations and not baseball? It looks like the Whiz Bang will be sold as a single unit and not broken up? The Orbits will most likely be sold in one box lots? The Star Player box will be sold in one lot? Does anyone know when the auction will be in on-line preview?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David M

Here's another link with more photos of the "find" that was posted over on the non-sport board. http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/blog/

Old 03-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Administrator

I was perusing my Lefty Grove website looking for the appropriate place to put a scan and I came across the Lefty Grove "Glove Tag" that I have. I was told that it was a glove tag because it has staple holes in the middle.

My "Glove Tag" is shown below.

[linked image]

Now take a look at the Whiz Bank Boomerangs shown in the REA picture.

[linked image]

Does anybody else think that my "Glove Tag" is really a "Whiz Bang Boomerang"? I think an email to REA confirming what is on the back of the Whiz Bang Boomerangs is in order!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Brad - looks like a dead ringer
Glad ya can finally identify the issue

Old 03-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Administrator

I received an email confirmation from Rob Lifson about 45 minutes ago indicating that my Grove "Glove Tag" is indeed a Fleer Whiz Bang Boomerang. Pictures of two of Rob's Grove Whiz Bangs are below.

[linked image]