NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default Rube was good but...

...he was not Babe Ruth

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1917-Youths-...item20d3595b44
Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 AM
pete ullman

another costly example(to the buyer atleast) of the price guides..and the grading companies...and the general collecting public not being aware of the truth?!?!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 AM
Scott S

I'd love to know more - I'm not familiar with this stamp. Is it not Babe Ruth but Rube Foster?? It looks like Ruth to me.....
Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 AM
pete ullman

uhhhh...rube marguard...not rube foster!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Here's the link to the previous thread (my photobucket pictures have since been rearranged so do not appear):

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=131276
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Scott S

I went with Rube Foster, assuming it was a Boston item. Thanks for the info....
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default 1917 Youth's Companion Stamp - 1914 Lawrence Semon Postcard

1917 Youth's Companion and 1914 Lawrence Semon Postcards (not mine):
(Leon, borrowed your image from previous thread)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marquard pstunc1917youthscompanionruth.jpg (46.0 KB, 575 views)
File Type: jpg marquard postcard.jpg (55.8 KB, 575 views)
Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 AM
bi11h00d

Thought I'd try to find an accompanying photo. Seems pretty darn close but strangely, he doesn't look to be throwing a knuckle ball.

edit - I now notice his glove hand is higher in the photo.

Last edited by Prof_Plum; 05-30-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Wondering....

The face in the artwork looks to be changed so that it looks more like Ruth than Marquard IMO. Could it possibly have been the original intention of the distributor to take the original photo and make it loook like Ruth intentionally? Just wondering.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 AM
pete ullman

tony...i agree...or +1 as some like to say!!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Jason S!m@nds

+2

Certainly looks like Ruth.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:04 AM
David Pierson
Banned

That stamp IS in beautiful condition. Dave.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
The face in the artwork looks to be changed so that it looks more like Ruth than Marquard IMO. Could it possibly have been the original intention of the distributor to take the original photo and make it loook like Ruth intentionally? Just wondering.
That's interesting...I'd guess it's generic in design because it was intended to be purely educational.

The details in the faces look the same to me: shape of heads, mouths, eyes, etc, but the quality of the postcard image was better. Even if we looked at it trying to see Babe Ruth, we know the image is of Marquard, with no name, and base subjective identity on it being a Boston item and lefty pitcher (identified as Rube Marquard). And because it's Marquard, we can erase the lefty pitcher part and are left with it being from Boston only. That is extremely subjective and a long, long stretch. Interesting perspective though.

I spent a lot of time and years trying to see Babe Ruth on there just like many, many other people. It's not him in the photo AND his name isn't on it.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

The publishers must have liked red borders around their images (not mine!):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg youthcompanion mag.JPG (28.3 KB, 316 views)

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 05-30-2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

There was disclaimer added yesterday pointing out that some believe it isn't ruth, though they do strongly suggest that it is Ruth.

From the auction:
Quote:
On May-29-13 at 13:23:33 PDT, seller added the following information:
Please note: there is an on-going debate regarding this item as to whether it depicts Rube Marquard or Babe Ruth. It's the opinion of PSA, SGC, and other grading companies that this card depicts Babe Ruth, though it is confirmed that the body image is from a 1914 postcard of Rube Marquard. That said, it's our opinion that the image on this stamp varies from the image shown on the 1914 Marquard postcard, showing a meaningful difference. The fact that this image very closely resembles Babe Ruth is what's led many (including PSA) to believe this image is different from the original postcard image of Rube Marquard. That said, there is not definitive proof either way, so please bid accordingly.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Derek Granger

+3

Looks like Ruth and it appears they widened the nose on the stamp and furled the mouth a bit. Also, the cheeks look a little chubbier and not as chiseled as the 1914 Marquard PC shown.

I think there was *possibly* an intent to make the pitcher look like Ruth and not Marquard...

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It's Marquard not Ruth. Anyone thinking that is Ruth, to me, is fantasizing. It's an exact photo match. Do we need fingerprints and blood samples? sheesh....
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
There was disclaimer added yesterday pointing out that some believe it isn't ruth, though they do strongly suggest that it is Ruth.

From the auction:

It's an exact picture on the stamp, taken from the magazine. This guy in red is Ruth too, after his first pitching win...And for the record I have at least one of the stamps so am certainly not feathering my own nest. Whomever pays all that money...come see me. I will sell you one for half that much...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg santa.jpg (70.1 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-30-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Jimi

Quote:
That was my inclination as well. +1
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

And for the record, Beckett now grades this stamp rightfully as Marquard. To me, but I guess not many others, it's hard to argue with a positive id. Bob Lemke also stated he is/did change it in the SCD...

http://b-lauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=2806

Last edited by Leon; 05-30-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
And for the record, Beckett now grades this stamp rightfully as Marquard. To me, but I guess not many others, it's hard to argue with a positive id. Bob Lemke also stated he is/did change it in the SCD...

http://b-lauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=2806

Leon, thanks very much for the mention!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Has this been changed in the most recent SCD yet? (I only have the 2010 copy.) Also, does anyone know if SGC has changed this to Marquard yet like Beckett? I see this old listing from Goodwin for SGC here Link, but I don't see it in SGC's population reports anymore, so I'm wondering if they've also modified it.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
There's no doubt that the face work has changed. It's obviously a copy of Marquard, but the stamp definitely looks more like Ruth.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I don't know. Sure looks like the same guy to me.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Has this been changed in the most recent SCD yet? (I only have the 2010 copy.) Also, does anyone know if SGC has changed this to Marquard yet like Beckett? I see this old listing from Goodwin for SGC here Link, but I don't see it in SGC's population reports anymore, so I'm wondering if they've also modified it.
The 2011 scd has it still as Ruth and the 2013 Vintage SCD guide omitted it altogether....from what I can tell. I will admit that Marquard had a resemblance to Ruth. For me that is about as far as this stamp gets to being Ruth. But if others want to believe it's Ruth, more power to them, even though it clearly isn't to me.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM

I agree with most others, it's obviously Marquard's pose, but looks like it was changed to resemble Ruth's face. It's a fairly low-quality production piece, so I could see that happening
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 05-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

So if its not ruth, and the PSA flip says ruth, is the PSA flip a fake, or did PSA get it wrong? If they got it wrong could they be liable?
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:11 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I don't think that PSA will say that they're liable because they will state that they were just following the old Standard Catalog in labeling the stamp as Ruth.

However, if PSA and SGC do follow Beckett and change this stamp to Marquard, the value will obviously drop like a rock. However, I'm not sure it's clear if they will. The TPG's usually follow the standard guides. However, if SCD removed the entry, but did not change it, then PSA and SGC may also not change it since they may still rely on what was in the older catalogs. However, if Beckett has changed it in their standard guide, then it's still possible PSA and SGC will use this and change it.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I don't think that PSA will say that they're liable because they will state that they were just following the old Standard Catalog in labeling the stamp as Ruth.

However, if PSA and SGC do follow Beckett and change this stamp to Marquard, the value will obviously drop like a rock. However, I'm not sure it's clear if they will. The TPG's usually follow the standard guides. However, if SCD removed the entry, but did not change it, then PSA and SGC may also not change it since they may still rely on what was in the older catalogs. However, if Beckett has changed it in their standard guide, then it's still possible PSA and SGC will use this and change it.
If any of them want to be correct they will change it to Marquard. I don't know how any collector can look at the Postcard and not say it's the same picture. Maybe I am more blind than I thought .
Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

OK, it looks like in the 2012 version of the SCD, this was changed to Marquard. You can see this on Google Books here: Link. I would think that with this information, PSA and SGC should change it to Marquard even if it were possible that the artist modified the drawing slightly to resemble Ruth more. (BTW, I am not the consignor for this item, but I was seriously thinking of bidding strongly for it because Ruth items during his Red Sox days are so tough. I will pass on it now.)
Old 05-30-2013, 01:40 PM
pete ullman

psa has 2 listed in pop report...as ruth.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
I am a frequent attendee of antique paper and ephemera shows. At these shows, this style of stamp is known as a "poster stamp". Within the poster stamp world, this is considered to be Ruth because of a contract that is signed by Ruth with the Youth Companion magazine. Supposedly, this contract is at the baseball hall of fame. I have heard this from multiple poster stamp dealers. Interestingly, these can be had in beautiful condition at paper shows for less than 100.00, and usually less than 50.00, so the identification of Ruth does not mean much to these dealers.
I have two, one in my Red Sox collection for Marquard and the other in my Hall of Fame collection (also Marquard). One I found in a scrapbook, but the other (in really nice shape) I got for 40.00 at the Hartford paper show about a year and a half ago.
I have never seen the contract, and for all I know it could have been for something that was not produced. I only want to clarify why at least some dealers label it as Ruth.

Alan
Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Derek Granger

BOOM - tough actin' Tinactin! Take that Leon!! Thanks for the info Alan.

Honestly, why have you gotten so worked up over this?? Anyone can see the face on the stamp was modified from the original Marquard image. Look at that nose!!!

Last edited by h2oya311; 05-30-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I would not buy that thing........ but that rinkeydink ruth stamp, now that's what im lookin for!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I went with Rube Foster, assuming it was a Boston item. Thanks for the info....
FYI, am guessing you maybe meant Waddell (?) though he never played for Boston. Anyway just as FYI, Rube Foster is one of the greatest (maybe the greatest) early 20th century black pitcher, and is known as the "father of black baseball" for his work playing (in), managing (in), and organizing (of) the negro leagues.

Lots of early 20th Century Rubes to keep track of for sure ... Wish the nickname would make a comeback.

Quick link to wiki..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Foster
Old 05-30-2013, 04:53 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
I would not buy that thing........ but that rinkeydink ruth stamp, now that's what im lookin for!
I still don't know how that rinkeydink stamp on ebay hit $400. I have two of them, and I bought one for $50, and the other for $100. I think it's probably more the power of net54 advertising/outing that the ebay one hit such a high price.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Derek Granger

Also, I don't seem to see any Brooklyn Robins uniforms w/ red stripes on their socks!!!

As an FYI, Back in the early 2000s, this stamp was listed as a 1916 issue (and graded as such). I almost grabbed one as an affordable Ruth rookie, but glad I didn't, given the subsequent date ammendment and now all the speculation over who the player is!!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Also, I don't seem to see any Brooklyn Robins uniforms w/ red stripes on their socks!!!
You haven't?

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 07-02-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: rapaired link to image
Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Look at that nose!!!
Admittedly, my eyesight isn't what it once was, but both noses look wide to me. I'll take your word for it though.

Interesting Alan, I reckon the Babe allowed them to use Rube's image. Apparently there weren't enough pictures of young Babe pitching; had to settle for a well established future hall of famer. He signed a contract for something that didn't have his name or actual image. Money for nothing.

From what I recall without getting the book out, the card catalogue only mentioned Ruth being associated with the stamp in the context of people think it might be him, not that it was him.

I have a Red Sox postcard with Babe hitting.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Jason S!m@nds

It really isn't uncommon to draw the head of your subject on the pose/body of another figure. Especially if there is a particular pose that looks better than others (or more convenient to draw). I think the Dick Perez collection was recently sold. Included were hundreds of photos used to create his postcards. I am fairly certain Dick mixed and matched some players however he seemed fit.

I could be wrong though.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter View Post
You haven't?

These are the unis from 1916-17:

http://baseballeras.blogspot.com/201...ltime.html?m=1

See #5 for the fugliest uniforms of all time!!

Anyway, if you do a Dressed to the Nines search, it looks like Brooklyn Tip-tops of rhe Federal league did use red stripes on their socks from 1914-15, but not the Brooklyn Robins. That said, maybe the makers of the Youth's Companion Stamp AND the 1916-20 Big Heads felt inclined to make the Brooklyn Robins uniform look cooler by adding red to the socks. I guess that's logical.

Also, and more importantly, why does Leon Cadore have a large "C" on his uniform???

Last edited by h2oya311; 05-30-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: The rogue "C" on Cadore's uniform
Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Also, and more importantly, why does Leon Cadore have a large "C" on his uniform???
I'm in the process of figuring out that and some other details in the set...going on three years now. BTW, the Cadore card looks more like Judge and the Judge card looks less like Judge...Still need a few for my set, including the great one mentioned here.

Have a pleasant evening fellas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe_Judge.jpg (5.0 KB, 210 views)
Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 AM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:18 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
Oh well.. Like I said too many Rubes to keep track of
Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 PM
pete ullman

WOW...over $1900 for Babe...I mean Rube W...insane!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 PM
MikeHealer

Nice pick up Pete.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM
pete ullman

i didn't buy it!!!!!!!!! $1900 for THAT...c'mon Mike!!!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i didn't buy it!!!!!!!!! $1900 for THAT...c'mon Mike!!!!!
I know...
Old 07-02-2013, 03:26 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
Hi-
I am a frequent attendee of antique paper and ephemera shows. At these shows, this style of stamp is known as a "poster stamp". Within the poster stamp world, this is considered to be Ruth because of a contract that is signed by Ruth with the Youth Companion magazine. Supposedly, this contract is at the baseball hall of fame. I have heard this from multiple poster stamp dealers. Interestingly, these can be had in beautiful condition at paper shows for less than 100.00, and usually less than 50.00, so the identification of Ruth does not mean much to these dealers.
I have two, one in my Red Sox collection for Marquard and the other in my Hall of Fame collection (also Marquard). One I found in a scrapbook, but the other (in really nice shape) I got for 40.00 at the Hartford paper show about a year and a half ago.
I have never seen the contract, and for all I know it could have been for something that was not produced. I only want to clarify why at least some dealers label it as Ruth.

Alan
Just wanted to update this thread per this comment. After seeing this, I emailed the Baseball Hall of Fame (research@baseballhall.org), and asked them the following question:

"I have an usual question. I am trying to determine who is on the picture of a 1917 poster stamp from Youth Companion magazine, a publication in Boston. Originally, the cartoon image player on the stamp was thought to be Babe Ruth. However, it has been found that there is a match for that image from one for Rube Marquard. There is a thread from a hobby forum on this issue here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169653
Because there was a match for this image for Rube Marquard, it was thought that this was definitively Marqard on the poster stamp. However, one of the posters in that thread has stated that Babe Ruth signed a contract with Youth Companion magazine, and that this contract is currently at the Baseball Hall of Fame. If this is true, then this brings back the possibility that the image on the poster stamp is intended to be Ruth, and that the artist modified the original Marquard image to make it appear more like Ruth.
Therefore my question is, does this contract for Babe Ruth with Youth Companion magazine indeed exist at the Baseball Hall of Fame, or was this just an unfounded rumor? I realize that this is an unusual request and do appreciate any assistance here."

Today, Bill Francis from the Baseball Hall of Fame replied, and stated that the Hall of Fame does not have a copy of this contract.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Good work Gary.