NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2013, 06:50 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default delete

Holy cow, if everyone still wants to blister REA for their T206s, please look at this card. This card looks like a 5, at best. But it is made to sound like a solid or high end 7.....Unbelievable, I wouldn't pay $300 for this card.......4 sharp corners?? Are you kidding me? Come on Brent.....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-16-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for some collectors that little red and white slip of paper with the black letters and numbers is all the beauty they need to see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...ht_4422wt_1170
Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Thanks Bubba, that card is an absolute joke at that grade. I have known Brent for over 15 years and bought many cards from him. This just does not make any sense to say 4 sharp corners. The card to me looks like a 5....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-16-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Not the prettiest 7, that's for sure. But what do you expect the seller to do? It's probably a consignment. You want him to murder the card of a consignor? It could be over graded a grade or so, but he's doing his job.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Eric Perry

The top edge of this card is way off. MC, at best...tough I am leaning towards trimmed.

Either way, PSA dropped the ball on this one.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Would rather see in person

Looks a little over graded. Tilt does not mean its trimmed in fact it looks ok to me but I'd never say definitively without having in hand. A tilt is not an mc qualifier it's usually only used on encapsulated cards centered 100-0 or worse.

Last edited by glynparson; 04-16-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Not the prettiest 7, that's for sure. But what do you expect the seller to do? It's probably a consignment. You want him to murder the card of a consignor? It could be over graded a grade or so, but he's doing his job.
No but he should not say four sharp corners.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
No but he should not say four sharp corners.
I can agree on that.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The comment about the corners was the biggest concern I had...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-16-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
A tilt is not an mc qualifier it's usually only used on encapsulated cards centered 100-0 or worse.
Glyn,

The following italicized text is directly from PSA:

MC (Miscut):*
Cards that exhibit an atypical cut for the issue or ones that contain partial portions of more than one card will be designated "MC."

I get the 100-0 or worse centering example which you provided above. Clearly, this particular example does not have that centering condition. However, it does seem to exhibit the "atypical cut" specified by PSA.

Unless I am missing something, the card has squared corners at the bottom and a slanted top edge. Since T206 cards are typically rectangular, this would seem "miscut" to me.

I am fairly new to Pre-War cards and T206, so please don't take this as a snarky comment. I really am trying to learn here.

The card in question is not a rectangular piece of cardboard with a misaligned print. Instead, the actual cardboard itself seems, in my eyes at least, to have been miscut and is not rectangular.

So, why would a T206 that was not rectangular not be considered MC?

Again, I am not aiming this at you. And I am not trying to be confrontational. I simply do not have enough experience with T206 and would like some help interpreting MC qualifiers here.

I welcome comments from everyone on this. Thanks, in advance, and have a great evening.

Best Regards,

Eric.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Glyn,

The following italicized text is directly from PSA:

MC (Miscut):*
Cards that exhibit an atypical cut for the issue or ones that contain partial portions of more than one card will be designated "MC."

I get the 100-0 or worse centering example which you provided above. Clearly, this particular example does not have that centering condition. However, it does seem to exhibit the "atypical cut" specified by PSA.

Unless I am missing something, the card has squared corners at the bottom and a slanted top edge. Since T206 cards are typically rectangular, this would seem "miscut" to me.

I am fairly new to Pre-War cards and T206, so please don't take this as a snarky comment. I really am trying to learn here.

The card in question is not a rectangular piece of cardboard with a misaligned print. Instead, the actual cardboard itself seems, in my eyes at least, to have been miscut and is not rectangular.

So, why would a T206 that was not rectangular not be considered MC?

Again, I am not aiming this at you. And I am not trying to be confrontational. I simply do not have enough experience with T206 and would like some help interpreting MC qualifiers here.

I welcome comments from everyone on this. Thanks, in advance, and have a great evening.

Best Regards,

Eric.

Looking at this scan - It looks trimmed along the top edge. I do agree the description is misleading but you can use your own eyes and see that corners are not "sharp". I consider PSA, SGC and Beckett to be helpful authenticators when buying online and disregard the grade. If I can deal with the appearance for the price then I buy it. Honestly, I would be interested between $80 - $90 on the top end if I judged the cards value by only looking at the image.