NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2019, 06:54 PM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default Invaluable (Hunt Auctions) experiences?

I’m curious if others have had issues with the invaluable app or Hunt Auctions.

I “won” and item in the Ruth auction thru invaluable and it showed in the win Auctions area.. until after 2 hours of the auction closing when it then was no longer in “won Auctions”.

Very frustrating....

Hunt also has an item in my invoice that I didn’t bid on. Messages left for both to get the story figured out.

Others have issues with this?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

As much as Hunt's website is lacking, the Invaluable Live Bidding has always worked well for me.

Sorry to hear it apparently malfunctioned on you... and hope you actually did win your item. Also hope they relieve you of the one you never bid on.

That stinks, but hopefully it's an easy fix. Unfortunately, you probably won't get resolution until Monday, and the waiting game is annoying as hell.

Last edited by perezfan; 06-15-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Has always worked for me too, surprised no thread on this amazing auction/results.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Was a truly amazing, once in a blue moon auction. Getting massive media attention. Millions of dollars in items. But folks wont comment on it because Hunt is on many people's sh*t list and is not an advertiser.

More fun to have a 47th PWCC thread probably.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-15-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:42 PM
Michael S.

I was fortunate enough to go and the items up for auction were truly spectacular. I bid strong on a bunch of lots, but unfortunately, I left empty handed. Prices realized, with the hammer, were "Ruthian", to say the least.

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 06-15-2019, 08:16 PM

Default Hunt Auction

Some truly incredible prices. Hobby is as strong as ever regardless of the few bad apples with scissorhands.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:30 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Some truly incredible prices. Hobby is as strong as ever regardless of the few bad apples with scissorhands.
I was at a dive bar this afternoon in a dump city and two young people (under 30) were sitting next to me talking about the Ruth jersey. While I was following the auction on my phone.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-15-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Was a truly amazing, once in a blue moon auction. Getting massive media attention. Millions of dollars in items. But folks wont comment on it because Hunt is on many people's sh*t list and is not an advertiser.

More fun to have a 47th PWCC thread probably.
you certainly had the option to start a thread about hunt. but did not.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:47 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Invaluable/Hunt

I’ve personally have had two problems in the past. The first I was wanting to bid on a Brooks Robinson photograph and when I went to bid it stated the auction had ended, when it still showed plenty of time left. Would have bid a lot more than the winning bidder. Called and they apologized for the problem. The second problem was I bid on a Brooksie bat and won the bat, paid for the item and they sent it to an address I lived about 10 years earlier. They said I signed for it, which of course wasn’t me. To make it a shorter story I went to the owner of the house I use to live and asked if they received a bat and they said they did and gave it to me.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Hunt is a disaster on so many levels. The website. Customer service. The website. Reserves pop up out of nowhere. Their stated rules that they can bid on lots they deem undervalued. It’s less of an actual auction and more of an appearance of a fair auction. Why anyone consigns with them is beyond my comprehension other then that they know Hunt will run their lots up for them.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Robert Klevens

I specialize in Japanese items and I find it amazing how many mistakes I find. A simple Google search would tell you what this postcard is, but I guess it easier to say c.1934. The card is a 1929 Shonen Club issue. They mention that it "has an ink sentiment written in what is presumably Japanese." yet they are too lazy to show the back on this and many other items. The card ends up selling for much more than it's worth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunt.jpg (59.0 KB, 386 views)
Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Hunt is big on selling cards with an MK designation but are too lazy to show a scan of the marked reverse.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:34 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

And on a team-signed ball, you typically get to view one single panel.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:49 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
you certainly had the option to start a thread about hunt. but did not.
I’m fine with Hunt flying under the Net 54 quality control radar. I’ve gotten a few Ruth and Gehrig rarities there in last few years that were prob 1/3 the hammer than they would have been in REA with a wonderful write up.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-16-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Chris Counts

I bid and won one item from Hunt's auction couple years ago. It seemed like the whole process took a couple months. The item was a 60s game used Phillies cap. In the catalog, it was described as being in good condition, although the photos were lousy. When it arrived, I pulled it out of the box, and it fell apart in my hand. Once upon a time, someone had taken all the threads out the bill, presumably to fix it, because it was cracked. But they never came close to completing the job, and what they essentially sold me a box of spare cap parts. When I called to complain, they suggested I say it was damaged in the mail, so they could recoup their money via insurance. And that's what they did, despite me telling them how dishonest they were being. I eventually got my money back, and I can't imagine ever dealing with them again.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:17 PM
je.sse @rnot

I believe I bid in a hunt auction once, and did not win. I found the site difficult to navigate, and the lack of back scans ridiculous. I'm sure those who do bid with them regularly appreciate the lack of competition but I can't even remember the last time I visited their site.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I’m fine with Hunt flying under the Net 54 quality control radar. I’ve gotten a few Ruth and Gehrig rarities there in last few years that were prob 1/3 the hammer than they would have been in REA with a wonderful write up.
tip of the hat to the smartest guy in the room
Old 06-17-2019, 07:08 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
And on a team-signed ball, you typically get to view one single panel.
I don't get this at all and it's not just Hunt that does it (though they definitely are one of the worst when it comes to it). Aren't they doing a disservice to the consignor? I recently won a lot of 10 pennants in which they only showed pictures of 5 and those 5 obscured each other. I was only interested in one of the 10 and it was pictured, so my bids were based entirely on just the one and that was good enough. The other nine were essentially thrown in for free.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
tip of the hat to the smartest guy in the room
Thanks. I've done pretty well by seeing where the crowd mentality and group speak is heading and looking for opportunities in the other direction. Has worked out well in many many situations.

Like in the stock market, what I've learned is that often times people say they are doing one thing and are actually doing the exact opposite. Has worked out for Goldman Sachs and the like for over 100 years.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:18 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I had no problem at all with the Invaluable Live bidding, and it worked well. Pretty similar to using LiveAuctioneers, actually.

The Hunt auction had a lot of great items for Ruth collector like me. I was mostly just tracking and trying to win some of the cards, but prices were really strong for the things that I wanted. I did win one Real Photo Postcard, for what I thought was a good deal. With cards for Ruth continuing to go up, I've gone to collecting RPPC's, which are more affordable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth_pennock_rppc.jpg (79.2 KB, 163 views)
Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Very cool pickup, Gary...

And to the OP....

Did you get resolution from Hunts? Hopefully they straightened out both issues for you. Please be sure to let us know!
Old 06-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default Update

I’ve heard from Hunt and they escalated to (David Hunt) sounds like an “error” where the floor bidder and myself (invaluable) placed the same winning bid.

And.. they gave it to the floor bidder. They are telling me nothing can be done.

They fixed my invoice form the item I never bid on but I still owe them $800 in buyer premium fees for another item won and seem to have gotten cheated by using invaluable. It stopped me from bidding on other items since I had a “limit”.

The initial response from Hunt is that there “is nothing they can do about it”

So I’ll just send them a check and likely be done with them forever.

I’ve sent a lot of money their way.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyscards View Post
I’ve heard from Hunt and they escalated to (David Hunt) sounds like an “error” where the floor bidder and myself (invaluable) placed the same winning bid.

And.. they gave it to the floor bidder. They are telling me nothing can be done.

They fixed my invoice form the item I never bid on but I still owe them $800 in buyer premium fees for another item won and seem to have gotten cheated by using invaluable. It stopped me from bidding on other items since I had a “limit”.

The initial response from Hunt is that there “is nothing they can do about it”

So I’ll just send them a check and likely be done with them forever.

I’ve sent a lot of money their way.

I recently won an item from them for an item I never bid on as well!! I just thought I was going crazy, or someone had hacked my login at work. I paid for the item, but knew deep it my heart I didn't bid on it. Thanks for letting me know that I did not go crazy!!