NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Pup6913

Default Would you trim up a strip

I recently acquired a Ruth strip card that was torn from the strip. Since this card will only grade an "A", IMO, and has room on the borders would it be ok to trim it up for better eye appeal. This is a gray area for me as I will fully enclose that the card was trimmed but if it were to be slabbed would the TPG's see it as that even with the disclosure?

I do know that some strips have obtained a numerical grade meaning at some time they were cut and trimmed to be this way right?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Bob Donaldson

Yes. Strip cards were meant to be cut and if it gives it better eye appeal...
Old 01-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Fred

If you do a nice trim job and the card has a nice "sheen" to it you might end up with an "8" or "9" on the label...
Old 01-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Pup,

Im really glad you asked this question. Ive been thinking the exact same thing about a strip card I received earlier this month. Now Im going to pull it out and stare at that bottom border for quite awhile.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:07 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I would but use a new sharp exacto....if there is even a hint of dullness, the cut can turn into a chunk off very easily.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:10 PM
JeR@Me

Default Would I trim it ?

Sure... I still remember cutting Hostess Ball cards from the Cup Cake boxes as a kid and just like the strips, they were meant to be cut whether it is 1930's or 70's. Trim that bad boy and make the corner's sharp like a razor !

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 01-29-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:55 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Now, I think there might be some mis-understanding to the original question. It appears that most answers have been under the assumption that when you say "it has room on the borders", you are referring to having the entire Ruth card plus extra parts of other cards.

But, I'm thinking by "room on the borders", you may have actually been referring to the fact that if you were to trim it, that you would not effect the picture area of the card.

If you are referring to the first assumption, then I agree. Cut that bad boy, but make sure you don't go into the originally intended border area.

If you are referring to the borders the way I'm actually thinking you were, then either way you still won't have all of the originally intended card dimension, and at most would receive an "A" when getting it graded. At that point, it's really all up to you. Some people would like to see sharp corners, others would want the most of the original card as possible.

An "A" isn't always just an "A" though. Eye appeal on an incomplete card can make quite a difference in resale value.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-29-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Pup6913

David you are correct. I have no clue about strips and whats favorable. So here are scans of it.

BTW the cards are actual color. The ball is missing red ink I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ball and ruth.jpg (77.4 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by Pup6913; 01-29-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Would you trim up a strip

Andrew,
I would not trim that Ruth. If you cut it so that it has sharp corners all around, It'll measure short and get no more than an "A" designation. If it remains full size, you're going to have parts that are razor sharp and parts that have natural wear. Again, probably only good for an "A". It looks great the way it is. Leave it alone.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Now that we've seen it. I'd probably just leave it be.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Mike M.

Andrew,

I have collected strip cards for many years. While I have trimmed a few to improve eye appeal, it has been on a case by case basis. Given that they are typically inexpensive when compared to other pre-war issues, I have been very willing to "put them under the knife" to improve the look of the card. However, we are talking about a Ruth card, so I would not trim this particular example. Even a Ruth strip card can be somewhat expensive, so it would definitely give me pause about altering it in any way.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Paul

Default Don't trim that one...

...if for no other reason than resale value will be higher to a prospective trimmee.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 AM
James Gallo

Default Trimming

I have trimmed 1 strip card but it had a very bad jargged edge on one side and I just trimmed it down. Wouldn't have graded anyway. I would leave the Ruth alone as it looks like it is close to the correct size and presents fine.

James G
Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I have a theoretical question about hand cut cards. I've attached an image of a notebook cover from the current Feb 2011 Goodwin auction. As you can see from the image, the players on the cover actually have borders. I agree destroying memorabilia like this isn't the thing to do, but could you actually hand cut the "cards" from these covers and produce a new "set?" Some other sets like W555 and Schapira Ruth's are cut from boxes, so I wasn't sure how similar that would be to this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lot480a_lg.jpg (74.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 AM

Default Trimming Strips

I collect strips; I agree wholeheartedly with Jim & Mike above. I would not trim the Ruth or any other "expensive" strip; this isn't so much a consideration for most others except for perhaps the Black Sox players in the W514's.

Zach
Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 AM
James Gallo

Default Notebook covers

I am not sure but I believe most of the notebook covers are know, so they would likely not be gradeable or would only recieve an authentic grade.

So in a sense no, I would guess that if they were graded they would be list as 1910 Notebook Cover or something like that.

James G
Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Yea, I wasn't sure if after they were cut up, they'd be listed as one of those W-UNC that people don't really know the origins of. So here, it'd be like c.1910 W-UNC Honus Wagner or something.