NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Christopher Williams

Default SCD Scott Tappa Tom Bartsch Sports Collectors Digest

I was hoping to hear from either Scott Tappa or Tom Bartsch from SCD after I emailed them yesterday.

Although I am disappointed that I didn't hear from them, I am certainly not surprised. I guess they are still mad at me for my criticism (my YouTube videos) of both TS O'Connell and SCD when Coach's Corner was still advertising their garbage in SCD.

And now SCD allows a full-page ad from CSC Collectibles. Some things never change.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Does Chris Morales own a database of exemplars? If he does, I'd love to see his Mickey Mantle exemplars.

Does Chris Morales have a rejection folder? Has Chris Morales ever rejected an autograph that he's been paid to examine?

Does Chris Morales actually use the Stereo Microscope that he shows on his website?
Does he have a court recognized exemplar file?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-23-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
I was hoping to hear from either Scott Tappa or Tom Bartsch from SCD after I emailed them yesterday.

Although I am disappointed that I didn't hear from them, I am certainly not surprised. I guess they are still mad at me for my criticism (my YouTube videos) of both TS O'Connell and SCD when Coach's Corner was still advertising their garbage in SCD.

And now SCD allows a full-page ad from CSC Collectibles. Some things never change.
Once an enabler always an enabler.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Does he have a court recognized exemplar file?
I know Judge Michael Fusz was not at all impressed with Chris Morales.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:

So Chris I guess I see why I got the response... evidently I haven't been added to the banned (no response) list that SCD stands by...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
So Chris I guess I see why I got the response... evidently I haven't been added to the banned (no response) list that SCD stands by...
From Coach's Corner to CSC Collectibles. They must be proud of themselves.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
From Coach's Corner to CSC Collectibles. They must be proud of themselves.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm amazed that SCD is still in print form, I honestly thought they were gone until I read this thread. Maybe they should go with a breast feeding cover to boost newstand sales.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Hi James,
* *Thanks for your e-mail. Yes, we are quite aware of Morales and his
reputation in the hobby. The running of such an ad was due to poor
communication to say the least and won't be happening again. Thank you.

Tom Bartsch
SCD
You can all read the above comment where Tom Bartsch, editor of SCD magazine writes to James "The running of such an ad was due to poor
communication to say the least and won't be happening again. Thank you."

Well guess what, it did happen again. On page 57 of the SCD issue dated August 10, 2012, Volume 40, NO. 17, is another full page ad from CSC Collectibles.

SCD-CC2.jpg

SCD-CC3.jpg
Old 08-01-2012, 07:37 AM
qualitycards

Chris, guess full page ad revenue wins
Old 08-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Chris, guess full page ad revenue wins
Absolutely, Jay. Just think of all those full-page Coach's Corner ads in SCD all those years. Sickening!!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
You can all read the above comment where Tom Bartsch, editor of SCD magazine writes to James "The running of such an ad was due to poor
communication to say the least and won't be happening again. Thank you."

Well guess what, it did happen again. On page 57 of the SCD issue dated August 10, 2012, Volume 40, NO. 17, is another full page ad from CSC Collectibles.

Attachment 70324

Attachment 70325
Do you mean to say that the "leading" publication in the hobby actually lied??
OMG,,, what a shock, shocked to find SCD shilling for their very few advertisers.
--
Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 PM
octavio ranzola

chris how do they get away with it unreal .
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Do you mean to say that the "leading" publication in the hobby actually lied??
OMG,,, what a shock, shocked to find SCD shilling for their very few advertisers.
I actually extended an olive branch to Tom Bartsch last year hoping for some peaceful communication. I even went a little further to show my sincerity and purchased a 6-month subscription to SCD magazine.

Mr. Bartsch never replied. Then earlier this year I noticed the CSC Collectibles full-page ad. I emailed Mr. Bartsch about the CSC Collectibles ad and never got a reply. James Graham, a Net54 member, did receive a reply.

Yes, I bashed SCD fervently during my days of my YouTube videos. They deserved every bit of bashing they received by myself and others.

Mr. Bartsch replied to James Graham with The running of such an ad was due to poor communication to say the least and won't be happening again.

Well, Mr. Bartsch, it did happen again. Poor communication again? Are we to really believe that?

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I talked with a former staffer at SCD recently, and he told me how draining it was to check his values at the door and watch CC get so much advertising. He realized his paychecks depended on garbage. He said the whole feeling at the place was depressing.

Ken
Old 08-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I just spoke with Tom, and I hope he doesn't mind me coming on here to share. I get the feeling he likes these ads just about as much as we do, but he's locked in a battle with the advertising department (which does pay the bills.) I don't know the business enough to say which department has more power, but I'm sure a hefty check makes a strong point.

Ken
Old 08-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I just spoke with Tom, and I hope he doesn't mind me coming on here to share. I get the feeling he likes these ads just about as much as we do, but he's locked in a battle with the advertising department (which does pay the bills.) I don't know the business enough to say which department has more power, but I'm sure a hefty check makes a strong point.

Ken
Ken, I appreciate your efforts to try to get Mr. Bartsch to comment here on Net54 about the recent CSC Collectibles ads.

If Mr. Bartsch hates those CSC Collectibles ads as much as we do, he's certainly not going to post that here. I just can't picture him coming over to explain those full-page CSC Collectibles advertisements.

I will also state that SCD Magazine has the right to accept any advertising they wish, but in the eyes of collectors, it doesn't make them look good.

Sad.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:

Ken
So doing the right thing, doing something good for their readers, once again takes second place to making a meager profit.
With the circulation of SCD their ad rates should be about $50 for the back cover.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-02-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:12 AM
James Wymer

Quote:

Ken
If he hated these ads like we do they would disappear.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 08-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

This publication lost whatever credibility it had in the hobby many years ago during the Coaches Corner fiasco.

It's unfortunate that Mr. Bartsch seems to be caught in a no-win situation here. If the advertising department refuses to drop the CSC ads, then the only thing he can do is resign or risk compromising his own integrity. CSC is banned from eBay and eBay is KING, like it or not. It's pretty hard for a legitimate business to justify this on any level. It's like the New York Times running an ad for Bernie Madoff investment services after he was convicted.

I never understood why any publication would put a short-term gain ahead of the long-term brand viability. Most collectors aren't stupid (at least that stupid) and will figure it out - maybe after they were burned on that Koufax sig. The result? More dropped subscriptions = fewer readers = smaller subscription base = lower ad rates = less money.

I do believe there is still a market for SCD if they could get past these issues, bring back quality content and serve as a Watchdog in a hobby that desperately needs one.

Last edited by RobertGT; 08-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Scd

I just received the 2nd issue of my "new" SCD subscription (I was a subscriber for at least 15 or 20 years until around 2010) and I am happy to be back. I agree that it is a shame that CSC is allowed to advertise, but I actually have found myself looking forward to going through each issue so far. I will introduce myself to Mr. Bartsch tomorrow at the National and say nice things as well so that maybe the publication can continue to get better and grow again.

BTW, how can anyone at all think that a genuine Koufax autograph ball can be had for $95? Anyone who is willing to pay $95 for anything should have a little bit of knowledge about what they are buying IMO.

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 08-02-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: edited dates
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I just received the 2nd issue of my "new" SCD subscription (I was a subscriber for at least 15 or 20 years until around 2010) and I am happy to be back. I agree that it is a shame that CSC is allowed to advertise, but I actually have found myself looking forward to going through each issue so far. I will introduce myself to Mr. Bartsch tomorrow at the National and say nice things as well so that maybe the publication can continue to get better and grow again.

BTW, how can anyone at all think that a genuine Koufax autograph ball can be had for $95? Anyone who is willing to pay $95 for anything should have a little bit of knowledge about what they are buying IMO.

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Since you will be talking to Tom tomorrow, Go ahead and ask him why he emailed me directly and apologized for the advertisement and that it was an oversight and wouldn't happen again...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Follow up email sent....

Hello Tom.

I received a response from you back in May regarding an ad that allowed to run in your paper. Well, you sent me the response below, but chose to go ahead and allow CSC to run another ad in the June 1st issue. Now you told me that it was due to poor communication..Has this happened again?

Please let me know what is going on over there. I'm not sure if my concern is with you or with your advertising department, but you and I both know that if a Sandy Koufax ball is listed at $95 it's a fake.

I look forward to your response.

James Graham
Jgmp123@yahoo.com

Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Response:

James, I'll get back to you on this in a day or so. Just got into baltimore for the national.

Tom

Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Response received today from Tom...

Thanks for your patience James,
As you might imagine, I heard plenty at the National Convention regarding CSC and its negative impact on SCD. I don't want them running, period, but alas my word is not the be-all, end all for the magazine when it comes to advertising. All of the CSC comments I am handing over all feedback to my ad manager and publisher to insist they are are not featured again. Thank you for your time.

Tom Bartsch
SCD

Old 08-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I took the time to speak to Tom on Saturday morning and he was very nice. As he said in the e-mail to James, I get the sense that he isn't the final word on this. I do think that he understands where "we" are coming from though.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Ken Goldin

Default SCD and ads

Hi all
I have recently joined and will make myself available to anyone who ever has a question about a Score board contract, if an athlete signed an item for them, etc.
just PM me and send images when can.
I cannot tell you over the years how many emails and letters i have written to SCD about coach's corner and others they let advertise
also feel free to email me at ken@goldinauctions.com
if sending files that may be best

Last edited by kengoldin; 08-10-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Banned

they claim the funny looking muhammad ali signed photos are scoreboard warehouse pieces, but i know that is not the case. can there be anything done for them to stop claiming this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muhammad.jpg (47.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

And if you sign up for their email list they will send you emails for penis enlargement pills, Canadian viagra, and fake rolexes. After all, if you're buying fake balls, you probably need fake erections and watches to complete the ensemble...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Ken Goldin

This is NOT an image that was ever sold by SB, nor is it an image that ALI ever signed for SB.
And anyone selling fraudulent autographs 'can be stopped'
nothing happens at the pace we like.
I think that my getting very vocal about what was signed, and calling people out in a very specific, irefutable way is going to help, a lot.