NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default BEWARE: B/S/T SELLER CARDCOLLECTORGURU (Jose Tijero)

Hey Guys,

I recently(12/9) purchased some Walter Payton items for "cardcollectorguru" over in the B/S/T thread and have yet to receive my items. He has already cashed the check (12/9) and has not responded to my many PM's requesting tracking.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=178809
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181348

I talked to Leon and it looks like he has been banned and the phone # he had on file is disconnected. See the below threads for others who have had issues with him.

Please let me know if you have his personal email address or phone # (that isn't disconnected). Also, as the site continues to grow, continue to be aware and purchase from only those you feel are trustworthy.

Thanks,
James
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 01-08-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Maybe he has a ebay account and sells the same photos on it. Worth a search.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 PM
David Linardy

Default Jose Tijero

Is an employee of the American canyon police dept (ca)

Good luck James.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:32 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Same Jose? If so, the plot thickens...
Old 01-08-2014, 03:44 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Yeah...and was recently named Officer of the Year...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 01-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Yeah...and was recently named Officer of the Year...
Well, one call to him at work should get you a reply!!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:06 PM
David Linardy

Default Climbing the ladder

Leon's got some good SEO working here... you type Jose's name into the google tool bar & this is the 4th thread that pops up...
Old 01-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Scott

Glad someone, Leon and others, has taken the bull by the horns. E'thing about what h e sold was shady from the git go. I wish u the best of luck James.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Well, one call to him at work should get you a reply!!
+1
Telling him you know he is a cop should really shake up this prick.
Go get 'em James.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Dan Bretta

One call to his chief should get a response.

http://cityofamericancanyon.org/index.aspx?page=69
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
One call to his chief should get a response.

http://cityofamericancanyon.org/index.aspx?page=69
Or a link to this thread on the department Facebook page.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Or a link to this thread on the department Facebook page.
Hopefully this can be rectified before it gets embarrassing and possible career ending.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:57 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

After being tipped off to this being his possible eBay ID: chasman633 (same items he has sold here)...I sent them a message and gave a call to the owner of that id. He explained to me that he knows Jose the same way we do, he purchased a ton of Walter Payton stuff from him on Craigslist and has kept going to him for some items. He then said that Jose had asked him to sell some things for him (Ken Boyer, Bo Jackson, etc.) through eBay.

He said that he would pass the message along to Jose and ask him to reach out to me. The plot thickens.

It actually looks like this guy is a pretty stand-up police officer, so I really hope that this just comes down to him being too busy to send things out on time.

Who knows..I just know i'm out $300.

One more thing, it shows he has been active as of 5pm today...I suppose he still has access to read everything here, so hopefully he will reach out.
jgmp123@yahoo.com

Last edited by jgmp123; 01-08-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
After being tipped off to this being his possible eBay ID: chasman633 (same items he has sold here)...I sent them a message and gave a call to the owner of that id. He explained to me that he knows Jose the same way we do, he purchased a ton of Walter Payton stuff from him on Craigslist and has kept going to him for some items. He then said that Jose had asked him to sell some things for him (Ken Boyer, Bo Jackson, etc.) through eBay.

He said that he would pass the message along to Jose and ask him to reach out to me. The plot thickens.

It actually looks like this guy is a pretty stand-up police officer, so I really hope that this just comes down to him being too busy to send things out on time.

Who knows..I just know i'm out $300.

One more thing, it shows he has been active as of 5pm today...I suppose he still has access to read everything here, so hopefully he will reach out.
jgmp123@yahoo.com
If he isn't logged in he should still be able to read the board. As I just said on the main board, he emailed me 3-4 hours ago (I was away for a while). He asked why he is banned and I told him that to start with he has a bad phone number on file. If he answers then we can go from there. There is this situation and one other I would like to get rectified too. The email address he used is tijerojose@aol.com

Hopefully this is just another case of really bad communications.....and if this gets fixed and the other issue, I will he as happy as anyone. I hate it that anyone gets scammed on this board. Though it is always possible, through the years our BST has been almost perfect, with only a few issues...and no big, big ones I am aware of.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I wonder if this is the same guy...

Joseph Tijero, was a Top Prospect and top 50th nor cal player coming out of De Anza High School. Highly recruited by several major league teams. Drafted by the Mariners 36th pick overall in 1998 and reportedly signed a hefty contract. Went on to play AA Ball, right out of high school to the pros. Known for his great hitting and fielding. Joseph only lasted two years in pro ball due to breach of contract and other issues.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_d...#ixzz2prZt0Eyk

High School is in his neck of the woods...

Last edited by jgmp123; 01-08-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
jgmp123@yahoo.com
Please do not compare this thief to a "stand up police officer". He is a thief and has been scamming people for some time. To do desacrates the honor of every hard working police officer nationwide.

I am the one that email Leon and said this guy is selling bad stuff and needs to go. I also am the one who put him on blast last month when he was trying to sell those signed 55 All Americans. I hope you get your money back as this guy took money from me too. He is a thief and it was immediately apparent after the Honus Wagner "scrapbook find" and the BS story behind it
Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Please do not compare this thief to a "stand up police officer". He is a thief and has been scamming people for some time. To do desacrates the honor of every hard working police officer nationwide.

I am the one that email Leon and said this guy is selling bad stuff and needs to go. I also am the one who put him on blast last month when he was trying to sell those signed 55 All Americans. I hope you get your money back as this guy took money from me too. He is a thief and it was immediately apparent after the Honus Wagner "scrapbook find" and the BS story behind it
I didn't even know he was the same guy as the Honus scrapbook find!!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:26 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I just received an email back from Jose...Here it is below. I have read in other threads that he is very slow at getting items out, so let's hope that was the situation in my case.

Jason, I would send him an email asking about your items at the one Leon posted above.

James,

Hi i havent sent out your items becauae i have been out of town. Although it says that im online on the forum om not close to my computer, theres nothing to worry about your cards and helmet is at home packed up. My job requires me to travel alot. Your cards will ship out with tracking as soon as i get home this following weekend.

Jose

Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 PM

Don't be so hasty to ruin the person's life who the scammer isn't.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Don't be so hasty to ruin the person's life who the scammer isn't.
Is this a Yodaism?

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Is this a Yodaism?
The scammer went so far as to create an entire fake business. They are very experienced and make a careful effort not to be found.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
The scammer went so far as to create an entire fake business. They are very experienced and make a careful effort not to be found.
But gave an address of where to send checks to? One that is registered in his according to MLS?? That doesn't sound very experienced....I believe the guy was selling a ton of stuff and couldn't keep up with the shipments....He was sending things out 2 or 3 weeks after the check cleared. That is why he was banned and that is what I believe happened. We'll find out soon I assume...

Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Chris

I really hope it works out and you either get your money back or get your items.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 01-08-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Mike Kaminski

I'm new to Net54 and have made deals so far and have been rather stressed (to say the least) about receiving the items. Would just like to thank powderfinger and STLCollector for making my first two purchases ($25 and $400 respectively) quite perfect.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Jeff P0tter

For those who might think this was all just a big misunderstanding, never ever under estimate a scammers ability to talk themselves out of getting caught and to scam you again. I deal with people who try to do it on an almost weekly basis, they are professionals and a really good one can and will make you feel good about the situation, bad for accusing them even, and often times will extract even more from you.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:17 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
For those who might think this was all just a big misunderstanding, never ever under estimate a scammers ability to talk themselves out of getting caught and to scam you again. I deal with people who try to do it on an almost weekly basis, they are professionals and a really good one can and will make you feel good about the situation, bad for accusing them even, and often times will extract even more from you.
Jeff,

It's starting to seem like that is the situation here...waiting for this to unfold.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 PM
qu@n nguy3n

imo you will get your stuff, it's weird that his phone is disconnected tho
Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

He gave me his new number this evening and we are supposed to speak tomorrow. We shall see....
Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Jeff P0tter

Jim may very well get his stuff. And I hate to sound overly cynical...but scams are usually very deep (the good ones at least), and the MO is not always apparent on the surface. In fact, the really good scams have so many multiple people involved who aren't even who you think or they say they are, that you may not even be getting responses from the person you talked to the last time, even though they come from the same email or number. There are some really deep financial crimes taking place in California, Texas, and other border states right now, varying anywhere from sports cards to car wrap advertising to you name it. They often use multiple pawns or take over identities completely, mixing in legitimate business with the occasional large profit scam when guards are let down.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
Jim may very well get his stuff. And I hate to sound overly cynical...but scams are usually very deep (the good ones at least), and the MO is not always apparent on the surface. In fact, the really good scams have so many multiple people involved who aren't even who you think or they say they are, that you may not even be getting responses from the person you talked to the last time, even though they come from the same email or number. There are some really deep financial crimes taking place in California, Texas, and other border states right now, varying anywhere from sports cards to car wrap advertising to you name it. They often use multiple pawns or take over identities completely, mixing in legitimate business with the occasional large profit scam when guards are let down.
Agreed.. Anyone else think it is odd that all of a sudden when this thread is up with police ties...the seller is available right away and has a new number? Idk.. Hope it is all a misunderstanding and you get your items.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Scott

People are missing out on the fact he sells some bogus stuff, or at least suspect. the two Hubbs signed 63 cards jump out like a sore thumb. He had TWO of those rare cards and they didn't look too alike to me either. The Wagner was a joke.

And to the fella who was stressed on stuff, w the two purchases, u will find Leon runs a great board here where nearly everyone is eager to help/kind honest and fair. This place is a better addiction that gambling/dope or booze
Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Dave

Quote:
I wonder if this is the same guy...

Joseph Tijero, was a Top Prospect and top 50th nor cal player coming out of De Anza High School. Highly recruited by several major league teams. Drafted by the Mariners 36th pick overall in 1998 and reportedly signed a hefty contract. Went on to play AA Ball, right out of high school to the pros. Known for his great hitting and fielding. Joseph only lasted two years in pro ball due to breach of contract and other issues.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_d...#ixzz2prZt0Eyk

High School is in his neck of the woods...

Looks like a fake page. Maybe he's scamming people into thinking he's an ex-pro ballplayer to, by planting web pages. Not the first time it's happened.

Simple search finds no minor league record or draft history for this name.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:21 AM
Scott

TOUCHE David

Last edited by GrayGhost; 01-09-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Looks like a fake page. Maybe he's scamming people into thinking he's an ex-pro ballplayer to, by planting web pages. Not the first time it's happened.

+1

Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

I find it very funny what people try to get away with stating as fact this day in age with the internet. It's not difficult to look up the 1998 Major League Baseball Draft results and see that not only was Joseph or Jose Tijero not get drafted by the Mariners with the 36th pick of the 1998 Draft, but the Mariners didn't even have the 36th pick!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 AM
Scott

google is our friend
Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 AM
Dan Bretta

Check out this wikipedia page for Richmond, California...under notable citizens...it says Joseph Tijero played for the Seattle Mariners from 2000-2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond,_California
Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Check out this wikipedia page for Richmond, California...under notable citizens...it says Joseph Tijero played for the Seattle Mariners from 2000-2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond,_California
That is a recent edit.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

So over on the Main board someone discovered that he asked and answered his own question on the Wiki page about being a ball player....

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=181348&page=2

Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
That is a recent edit.
How do you find that out? I was wondering but couldn't find it in the edit history.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Dan Bretta

Someone copied that same exact info from the wiki page onto a Richmond, California website.

http://shelf3d.com/i/Richmond,%20California
Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I posted this in the thread on the main page too...but since both have traction want to cut and paste it to here also...

I just spoke with Jose on the phone for several minutes. He is very cordial and answered every question I had. This is a tough one. . He confirms he is a sheriff. He confirms his nickname is Joseph, which is pretty common I think. He says he has never had anything to do with any Pro football tryouts or anything like that. He said James' stuff was shipped out and he did ship it a bit late. He confirmed that because of his job he changes his phone number fairly often. As for Jason's issue, he says Jason said he was going to send the item to JSA, after PSA said it wasn't good,......but Jason hasn't gotten back to him. So that is where we are right now....I dunno....
Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
People are missing out on the fact he sells some bogus stuff, or at least suspect. the two Hubbs signed 63 cards jump out like a sore thumb. He had TWO of those rare cards and they didn't look too alike to me either. The Wagner was a joke.

And to the fella who was stressed on stuff, w the two purchases, u will find Leon runs a great board here where nearly everyone is eager to help/kind honest and fair. This place is a better addiction that gambling/dope or booze
Agreed, Leon does a great job and I have never had any issues with people.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 01-09-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I posted this in the thread on the main page too...but since both have traction want to cut and paste it to here also...

I just spoke with Jose on the phone for several minutes. He is very cordial and answered every question I had. This is a tough one. . He confirms he is a sheriff. He confirms his nickname is Joseph, which is pretty common I think. He says he has never had anything to do with any Pro football tryouts or anything like that. He said James' stuff was shipped out and he did ship it a bit late. He confirmed that because of his job he changes his phone number fairly often. As for Jason's issue, he says Jason said he was going to send the item to JSA, after PSA said it wasn't good,......but Jason hasn't gotten back to him. So that is where we are right now....I dunno....

Hey Leon,

He sent me an email last night that said:
Hi i havent sent out your items becauae i have been out of town. theres nothing to worry about your cards and helmet is at home packed up. My job requires me to travel alot. Your cards will ship out with tracking as soon as i get home this following weekend.

So did he ship them this morning??

Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Hey Leon,

He sent me an email last night that said:
Hi i havent sent out your items becauae i have been out of town. theres nothing to worry about your cards and helmet is at home packed up. My job requires me to travel alot. Your cards will ship out with tracking as soon as i get home this following weekend.

So did he ship them this morning??
He said he did but maybe he was about to do it. I can't say for positive....but he did say they were sent (or being sent, I am sorry)..was it today, I am not for sure....

Last edited by Leon; 01-09-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I call 'Bullshit!!!'. Someone has to. That is why they call scams confidence games. I have been friends with state police, local cops, D.A.'s and many other people in the law enforcement field over the years. I always had home phone numbers and home addresses and not once in thirty years did any of them change their phone number. Even the person who worked undercover/drug enforcement for a state attorney general did not change his routine much. Nor did he travel so much that he was never home. This person is a county sheriff and even the largest county in California is not so large that he is never home. Unless he was fugitive task force or involved in some other interdiction this is all a pile of horse excrement. If he was that you can be sure he would have said it by now.

Interestingly, I have never met a Latino named Jose who uses Joseph as a nickname.

Last edited by Michael B; 01-09-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

It seems like a lot of effort to keep him active with little payoff
Old 01-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
It seems like a lot of effort to keep him active with little payoff
+1 I believe in giving people a second chance but this is crazy.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:30 PM

I would be very very hesitant to purchase anything from this person. I like many had an issue. He ended up fixing it, although it took awhile. I'll stick to the things that just seem very fishy to me.
1. The bad Honus Wagner Autograph

2. The multiple Walter Payton autograph listings. He would list say 10 Walter Payton Autographs and sell them to multiple people and then when questioned, would say it's ok, I have multiples of this and everyone will get what they ordered. If you had that many that you wanted to sell, why not list that many to start with?

3. The disconnected phone

4. All the excuses are just way too many

5. All of the "Quick Sale" listings. If you research scammers, they always try to get you to commit as quick as possible.

6. Some of the prices are way too low. Walter Payton mini for $140 when it is easily a $400 to $500 item.

Gil Hodges 1959 Topps Autograph for $160 when that is easily a $300 to $400 item.

1968 Topps Auto Roger Maris for $160 WHen that is easily a $400 tyo $500 item.

Six Autographed Walter Payton cards for $100? Way too cheap. They should sell for at least $50 each. And he sold multiple lots from this listing at that price.

7. The Multiple Ken Hubbs Autographs. I counted three that he had for sale. When he was questioned about those by a board member, je just ignored that question.

8. Find his stuff on ebay and then that person says it isn't him but he is selling stuff for him. May be true but if so, why can't he sell his own stuff?

9. The Jose/Joseph name thing

I made a small purchase from him and I have to say that after that the Honus Wagner thing hit and it all made me uneasy. I even had communication with Leon about my issues with Jose and was keeping him up to date on if there was resolution. WHen I told him everything worked out "ok" I also told Leon I would NOT buy anything else from him. I just started seeing too many warning signs.

Chr..is S4re..ve

Last edited by vintagechris; 01-09-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Scott

THREE HUBBS? I missed one.

glad he's gone