NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-28-2022, 05:34 PM
R@y H0lmes

Default 1901 Chicago Orphans ID

I've been working to ID the three players in this photo. Definitely from the Chicago Orphans, taken at the Polo Grounds, probably 1901 (for sure pre-1903). The player in the center is Cupid Childs, I'm fairly certain. Player on the right is Jack Taylor. The player on the left has me stumped. I can't find anyone on the 1901 Orphans roster who is a good match.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-29-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholmes View Post
I've been working to ID the three players in this photo. Definitely from the Chicago Orphans, taken at the Polo Grounds, probably 1901 (for sure pre-1903). The player in the center is Cupid Childs, I'm fairly certain. Player on the right is Jack Taylor. The player on the left has me stumped. I can't find anyone on the 1901 Orphans roster who is a good match. Anyone have any ideas?
I believe the player on the left is Pete Childs.

Pete Childs, 1901
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NL Chi Childs.jpg (34.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Chi-Orphans-needs-ID-1-s.jpg (37.6 KB, 145 views)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:03 AM
R@y H0lmes

There is some resemblance, but Pete Childs and Cupid Childs could not have been on the field together in 1901. Cupid was released from the Orphans (and played his last game) on July 8. Pete was signed by the Orphans on July 17, to replace Cupid, and played his first game with them on that same day.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:24 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Going out on a limb

I am going to go out on a limb and state that the center person may not be Cupid Childs.

Base on rough comparisons in photo, and my poor sense of proportions, right most and center individuals appear to be approximately same height. Left most individual considerably shorter than center individual.

If right most individual is the 6' 1" Jack Taylor, the center person appears to be about the same height. If so, then quite possible the shorter left most individual is either the 5' 7" Pete Childs or 5' 8" Cupid Childs.

All speculative, of course.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:37 AM
R@y H0lmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

I am going to go out on a limb and state that the center person may not be Cupid Childs.

Base on rough comparisons in photo, and my poor sense of proportions, right most and center individuals appear to be approximately same height. Left most individual considerably shorter than center individual.

If right most individual is the 6' 1" Jack Taylor, the center person appears to be about the same height. If so, then quite possible the shorter left most individual is either the 5' 7" Pete Childs or 5' 8" Cupid Childs.

All speculative, of course.
I think you may have the wrong Jack Taylor at 6'1". By most accounts, Jack Taylor (1898-1907) from the 1901 Orphans was 5'10". I did a quick facial comp of Cupid Childs through his playing years alongside the photo in question. I think it's a match, but I'm definitely open to being wrong. Cupid Childs was heavier through most of his career, but he lost weight after a bout of malaria in 1899, and I'm not sure when/if he put weight back on.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
There is some resemblance, but Pete Childs and Cupid Childs could not have been on the field together in 1901. Cupid was released from the Orphans (and played his last game) on July 8. Pete was signed by the Orphans on July 17, to replace Cupid, and played his first game with them on that same day.
Good catch; they can't both be in the photo. Given the fuzziness of the picture and the fact that both of the players in question have their caps pulled down low on their foreheads, I think that Pete is about as good a match for the player on the left as Cupid is for the center player. Are there any other photos that were apparently taken on the same day, that would help establish a date?

Last edited by RUKen; 03-29-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:00 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Sadly I cannot help with this

But I am interested and amazed how many on this forum have the knowledge, interest and skills to help solve these kinds of mysteries

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-29-2022, 02:53 PM
R@y H0lmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUKen View Post
Good catch; they can't both be in the photo. Given the fuzziness of the picture and the fact that both of the players in question have their caps pulled down low on their foreheads, I think that Pete is about as good a match for the player on the left as Cupid is for the center player. Are there any other photos that were apparently taken on the same day, that would help establish a date?
The three players are cropped from a larger photo. See wider crop below. Location is of course the Polo Grounds. The configuration of the dirt behind home plate places the photo to 1902 or earlier. The Giants are seen warming up on the 1st base side of field, in white caps pre-1903. What can be seen of 'New York' on Giants jerseys rules out 1900. The Orphans uniforms are 1900-1902. The sign on the tripod at home plate actually reads New York vs Chicago.

What sways me toward the center player being Cupid Childs, aside from features, is his cap cocked toward his left ear, a thing he seemed to have a tendency to do, seen in many of his photos.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
The three players are cropped from a larger photo. See wider crop below. Location is of course the Polo Grounds. The configuration of the dirt behind home plate places the photo to 1902 or earlier. The Giants are seen warming up on the 1st base side of field, in white caps pre-1903. What can be seen of 'New York' on Giants jerseys rules out 1900. The Orphans uniforms are 1900-1902. The sign on the tripod at home plate actually reads New York vs Chicago.

What sways me toward the center player being Cupid Childs, aside from features, is his cap cocked toward his left ear, a thing he seemed to have a tendency to do, seen in many of his photos.
I don't see any clues for the date in this image. (I do agree that Cupid Childs had a tendency to wear his cap cocked.) Is this an excerpt from an even larger image, and if so is a scoreboard visible with any out-of-town games listed? That may be the only way to put a date on the picture.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:44 PM
R@y H0lmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUKen View Post
I don't see any clues for the date in this image. (I do agree that Cupid Childs had a tendency to wear his cap cocked.) Is this an excerpt from an even larger image, and if so is a scoreboard visible with any out-of-town games listed? That may be the only way to put a date on the picture.
The scoreboard would have been in right field, down the first base line, so it's just out of frame in the photo. What's been surmised so far is likely the best I'll be able to do with this for now.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:28 AM
Joseph Mie.lke

The tripod on home plate, why is it there? Was it commonplace to have it back in the day?
Old 03-31-2022, 06:04 PM
R@y H0lmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicosbailbonds View Post
The tripod on home plate, why is it there? Was it commonplace to have it back in the day?
The tripod with sign at home plate announcing the day's game is new to me, but field photos from this era are relatively rare, so who knows how common it was. The sign does have a vaudeville/stage aspect to it, so fits with the times, New York City, etc.