NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2021, 11:37 PM
Derek

Couldn't figure out how to attach images to the previous post. Neither of these cards are mine. Just pulled images for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47572.jpg (73.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_1screenshot_20210608-221932_chrome.jpg (70.2 KB, 156 views)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD View Post
Couldn't figure out how to attach images to the previous post. Neither of these cards are mine. Just pulled images for reference.
The Harry Davis I posted is from the 33 card E91A set. The E91B set of 33 repeats all 33 of the artwork on the front, 15 with repeated player designations, and 18 with new player designations. E91C is also a 33 card set, but all player designations are new. Harry Davis happens to be one of the 15 E91B subjects that have the same player designations as seen in the E91A set.

The Donahue card is from the E91C set, utilizing the artwork seen on the E91A and E91B Davis cards, and thus is not an accurate representation of Donohue.

Based upon my research into the set, almost all of the 33 cards of the E91A set have facial artwork based upon photos of the player. Thus with the 15 repeats in the E91B set (Daniel Murphy was repeated in the E91B set, but the manufacturers mysteriously decided to use different artwork for his E91B card, which I had overlooked until Ben recently pointed out this departure from the pattern), basically 48 of the 99 cards in the 3 E91 sets depict the facial characteristics of the designated player.

Here is that one exception of Daniel Murphy, 2B, shown with his E91A card and M116 and E254 cards, and his E91B card, which identifies him as Dan Murphy, RF, and then the E91B card of Eddie Collins with 2B designation, and finally the E91A of Ralph Seybold, RF. Murphy switched from being a 2B to RF roughly between the timeframe of the issuance of the E91A and E91B sets, probably due to the rise of Eddie Collins at the 2B position. Thus the E91 makers mysteriously decided to utilize the E91A Murphy artwork for Eddie Collins, due to the 2B position designation, and just changed the player's name to Eddie.

Ralph Seybold, RF, from the E91A set was dropped in the E91B set, with Dan Murphy RF designation taking over his artwork.

Brian (I think I almost confused myself with all these words)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E91Bdanmurphy.jpg (11.6 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg E91comparisonsMattyMcGintMurphy244.jpg (76.9 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg E91Bcollinsnotmine.jpg (26.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg e91Aathletics243.jpg (70.1 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 06-09-2021 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:55 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default 1938 R323 Goudey Henry Bonura

Zeke Bonura (pronounced like Sonora)

Henry J. "Zeke" Bonura. First baseman for the Washington Senators in 1938 and 1940. 1,099 hits and 119 home runs in 7 MLB seasons. He had a career OBP of .380. He debuted with the Chicago White Sox in 1934. His best season was probably 1936 for the White Sox as he posted a .426 OBP with 120 runs scored and 138 RBI's in 688 plate appearances. His indifferent defense on balls hit to his right gave rise to the "Bonura Salute".

Excerpt from his SABR biography: The next season the White Sox improved to fifth place under Dykes, as Bonura hit .295 with 21 home runs and 92 RBIs. Bonura fit the profile of a lumbering first baseman, yet he stole home in the bottom of the 15th inning to score the winning run against the New York Yankees in the first game of a doubleheader on August 26, 1935. It was only the fourth stolen base of his major-league career. In “his own inimitable manner,” Bonura told how it happened:

“I’m on third. I see [Jimmie] DeShong, which is the New York pitcher for the Yankees on that day, take his windup. He makes the mistake of taking a long windup and I’m off third like a bird. Now you understand there was no signal for to steal. I’m using my head and being alert. DeShong has got himself all wound up like a clock now and here I’m breezin’ home as though carried by some winged horse of some name or other. A newspaperman wrote a swell story about it back home. It sounded like Pegasus. In fact it was Pegasus because I looked it up thinkin’ at first he was ribbin’ me.

“Let’s see, where was I? Oh, yes. I’m breezin’ home like Mercury hisself and I spread out and slide handy right under [Yankees catcher Bill] Dickey. … Well, you ought to seen Dickey. I won’t never forget the expression on his face. He was without a doubt the most surprised man in baseball. That’s really bein’ surprised. And I guess a lot of the other fellows were surprised at old Zeke breezin’ home and theftin’ a sack to win their old fifteen-innin’ ball game. … Funny thing about it though, Mister Dykes looked almost as surprised as Dickey.”

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1623232361
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1623232376
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1938R323Goudey#276Bonura6168Front2.jpg (39.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg a1938R323Goudey#252Bonura8269Front2.jpg (38.8 KB, 157 views)
Old 06-09-2021, 06:18 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

That Zeke Bonura story was great

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 06-09-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here's a snapshot of Dickey

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-09-2021, 05:03 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

1923 The Little Wonder Picture Series (W515-2) by Greg Martin, on Flickr
Old 06-09-2021, 08:09 PM
Jerry

Picture of Chickering Imperial Cabinet I took thru glass case at the Boston Library.
Both teams 1903 World Series
Excuse the light reflection. There was also a chickering imperial of Jimmy Collins in the same case.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:49 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default 1910 E91-C American Caramel Bob Unglaub (played by Ralph Seybold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Ralph Seybold, RF, from the E91A set was dropped in the E91B set, with Dan Murphy RF designation taking over his artwork.

Brian (I think I almost confused myself with all these words)
The E91-C team now offers the Bob Unglaub Story, a tragedy that ends with our hero's untimely and gruesome death in an industrial accident involving a locomotive and well, you will have to see it to believe it. Playing the part of Unglaub will be Ralph Seybold (unless he is needed elsewhere to play Dan Murphy). From Unglaub's SABR biography, we offer this tease:

A story is told of Unglaub during his stay in Milwaukee. His manager, Joe Cantillon, and several players were walking the streets of Indianapolis. They stopped on a corner to take in the spectacle of a Salvation Army gathering, complete with brass band. Much to their amazement, out of the crowd stepped Bob Unglaub to repent his evil ways.

“I am sorry to admit it,” he said, “but I am a baseball player. I don’t know how I ever got into such a degrading, sinful business. It is an awful game and the men who play it are sinners, not fit for God-fearing people to associate with.”

Cantillon had to restrain his companions from going after their teammate as Unglaub finished his testimony, and they then went on their way. When telling this story a few years later, Cantillon was asked if Unglaub had quit baseball after his epiphany. “Hell no,” snapped the manager, “He was the first man in line at the pay window on the first and fifteenth of every month.”

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1623584816
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1910E91-CAmericanCaramelUnglaub4074Front2.jpg (30.5 KB, 357 views)