NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 01-05-2020, 12:07 PM
Jeff

Default Charlie Brown - Olympic Bronze medalist 1964 Tokyo

I have an interest in Cincinnati Boxers. With the Olympic games coming to Tokyo 2020, I noticed Charlie Brown, Bronze medalist 1964 Tokyo, was from Cincinnati, born July 28, 1939. Prior to the Olympics, he boxed in the Pan American Games, where he won silver in 1959 and bronze in 1963 at featherweight. He did not go pro, only boxed for US Marine Corps. Does anyone know anything else about him? Seems to have disappeared after 1964.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:38 PM
Jeff

Default Cincinnati has another Tokyo medalist: Duke Ragan - Silver

Thought I would throw this out there again, being that Cincinnati has another medalist at Tokyo. This time it is Duke Ragan - Silver in Featherweight Boxing. If anyone knows anything about Charlie Brown - Olympic Bronze medalist 1964 Tokyo, please let me know.
Old 08-20-2021, 01:06 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

He is a member of the All-Marine Corps Boxing Hall of Fame. He was inducted as a member of the inaugural class which I believe was 2016. They just had their latest induction August 10. You can try contacting them at usmcboxinghof@gmail.com. I saw a group photo from this years induction and saw one or two people who could have been about his age. I see nothing with a middle initial on him. I no longer have my 1964 US Olympic team media guide which had quite a bit of extra info. There was a Cpl. Charles E. Brown who earned the Navy Cross in 1968 though he was listed as living in Atlanta.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-25-2021, 07:58 PM
Jeff

Thanks Mike for the response. Shortly after I received your response, I emailed them, but no response. Do you know of a direct contact to anyone there.

I do not see a list of inductees on the site. Do you have a link for them.

Again, thanks.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:07 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I found the email address in an article from the local paper near Camp Lejeune which is home to that hall of fame. I just did a search of Charlie Brown boxing Olympics USMC or Marines to find several articles on the All Marine Corp Boxing Hall of Fame. One of his 1964 teammates and fellow Marine was Maurice Frilot. Maurice is also in the hall of fame and lives in Denver. His son, Junior of that name, played football at Harvard and was a Golden Helmet Award winner. The son works for Wells Fargo in Denver. Perhaps you can reach out to him and he could contact his father who still lives in Denver. Perhaps they are still in touch, both being devil dogs. Try - Maurice.E.Frilot@wellsfargo.com

FYI - from the 1964 U.S. Olympic media guide. Brown was married and lived at 318 Findlay St., Cincinnati.

A little side story. I was going to a card/autograph show in New Jersey. Joe Frazier was signing so a friend asked me to bring one of those gold faux leather Everlast boxing banners to have him sign. When I got to him I asked him if anyone still called him 'Billy' which is the nickname they have for him in the media guide. He asked me how I knew that as only his family called him that. He was so impressed that he signed my friends banner 'Joe Frazier Billy Smokin Joe'. Probably the only one there is where he signed that nickname.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 08-25-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I imagine he's on this PC of the 1964 team (w/Frazier):

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-31-2021, 07:52 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I imagine he's on this PC of the 1964 team (w/Frazier):

Adam,

I think Charlie Brown is fourth from left. He was one of the shortest members of the team. I don't think this is the final team as Bob Carmody, the only Caucasian member of the 1964 team was only 5' 2" and does not appear to be in this photo. He was one of four medal winners on the team (Carmody, Brown, Ronnie Harris, Joe Frazier). He was also one of 3 U.S. Olympians killed in the Viet Nam War and one of two medalists. Sam Mosberg, the man who signed the card, won a gold medal in boxing at the 1920 Olympics with one of the quickest knockouts in Olympic boxing history. I believe Ray Mercer holds the record for the quickest KO in an Olympic gold medal bout. He would later run the family furniture business in New York and also became a real estate broker. He also coached the U.S. team during the 1953 Maccabiah Games. Uncommon signature also.

Last edited by Michael B; 08-31-2021 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:59 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I should also mention that one or two of them looks like Charley Ellis, brother of pro heavyweight Jimmy Ellis.

Old 09-01-2021, 01:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nice info, thanks. I should also mention that the card was mailed to HOFer Charlie Goldman, Marciano's trainer.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-22-2022, 11:53 PM
Jeff

Default Charlie Brown Marine boxer

Michael B. I emailed and received the following message.
My father passed away xx/xx/2021. His years in the ring caught up to him 55 years later. I do remember Charlie Brown coming to visit with my dad around 1979, but there was no contact between the two after that I knew of. I hope you make contact with him or his family, he deserves the recognition. Thanks again for remembering those Marine boxers that did so much for us.
Regards, Maurice
Old 01-26-2022, 03:42 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Frilot died in Parker, Colorado on October 30, 2021.

Maurice Frilot worked as a machinist at Gates Rubber Company from 1965 to 2006, achieving a 41-year perfect attendance record.

I had tracked him down and wrote to him about 4 or 5 years ago, but he never responded.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:05 PM

Richard Steele was a teammate of Brown's at Camp Pendleton. He was a pro for a short time, but became a referee. You can contact Steele here:
https://richardsteelefoundation.org/our-team/
Old 03-16-2022, 05:41 PM

Clipping from Star Presidian, Volume 9, Number 34, 27 January 1961

(Full article)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (70.8 KB, 28 views)

Tags
1964 tokyo olympics, charlie brown, cincinnati boxers