NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-18-2021, 06:55 AM

Default Opinions on an ungraded ‘51 Mantle

Hello there. Brand new to this forum and had an Instagram card investment contact who recommended posting on this site. I have this ‘51 bowman Mantle and wondered if cards are at their peak and should get a value or maybe sell it. Not sure what to do. The card was acquired in the mid 2000’s and purchased on eBay for around a thousand. So I have this card ungraded. What do you guys think about maybe getting it graded. No creases, centered and good color. Which one? I know psa is backed up but heard sgc is pretty good for like $75. I have pictures on my phone of the front and back and all 4 corners and can get more but don’t know how to post photos yet as my only device is my iPhone. What is the best way to post photos on the forum from an iPhone? TIA
Old 04-18-2021, 07:08 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Send it to PSA. It will gain the most value in their holders, despite how incompetent they are at their main job, authenticating and detecting alterations on sports cards. Cheapest submission level right now is $300, but this card is definitely deserving of paying that much.

Was it ever in a non-recessed screwdown? If so, maybe SGC is your better choice since PSA normally will only grade cards they think may have been in screwdowns as AUTHENTIC ALTERED (in this case, for pressed to possibly remove creases).

PSA are hacks, but so are the other grading companies out there, but all the sheep buying slabs want PSA first, everyone else fifth.

Good luck!
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:33 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Send it to PSA. It will gain the most value in their holders, despite how incompetent they are at their main job, authenticating and detecting alterations on sports cards. Cheapest submission level right now is $300, but this card is definitely deserving of paying that much.

Was it ever in a non-recessed screwdown? If so, maybe SGC is your better choice since PSA normally will only grade cards they think may have been in screwdowns as AUTHENTIC ALTERED (in this case, for pressed to possibly remove creases).

PSA are hacks, but so are the other grading companies out there, but all the sheep buying slabs want PSA first, everyone else fifth.

Good luck!
Sound advice.

As far as predicting the market - your guess is as good as any.

Posting pics - there is a "manage attachments" option when you post that you can add pics with. You may need to resize them to meet the size limit.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:51 AM

Default Screw down not recessed

I remember after I bought it I put
it in a plastic screw down holder. Haven’t really touched it since. I just uploaded a photo of it somewhere on this site in the holder.

Help. My only device is my iPhone as of now. Thanks for replies
Old 04-18-2021, 09:59 AM

Figured it out.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:56 AM
Adam

As far as posting pics, you can also use a 3rd party hosting site such as imgur, postimage, imgbb, et cetera. You can post the direct link in the little yellow icon with the mountain and sun in the forum text toolbar. Or you can write out the html code: [img] your link [/img]. Or at the very least, you can just post the link and people can click on it to see it on the website. The attachment feature on this forum works all right, but you usually have to resize your image, and then it's somewhat small and pixellated. With 3rd party photo hosting sites, the image can be seen in higher definition.

This works on most forums by the way. I find that forums aren't used as much nowadays since social media sites have become so popular, and are generally much more streamlined in regards to posting pics and videos. So, many people don't know how forums work nowadays with posting media links. Hope this helped, and good luck with the Mantle.