NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default The National

I live in California and have wanted to go to The National ever since I restarted collecting in 2002. Why is it that a show that is supposed to support a national hobby does nothing to support West Coast collectors? No show on the West side of this nation since 2000? Really? C'mon, who's planning this thing? Where's the West Coast love?

I could understand the East Coast having a majority of the shows but is having one out here every 3-4 years asking too much? Maybe they should have two conventions annually, one on each side of the country so people can actually spend more money on cards than having to blow their wad just getting there.

Considering the next two years are already booked here's a lonely voice crying out for The National to make a West side appearance in 2015.

To the planners, here is a list of cities you may have heard of that just might work: Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Diego, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Phoenix...

For you East Coasters, I'm not hating on you, I'm just looking for some love. Anyway, enough venting...hope everyone that is going has fun!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:42 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
I live in California and have wanted to go to The National ever since I restarted collecting in 2002. Why is it that a show that is supposed to support a national hobby does nothing to support West Coast collectors? No show on the West side of this nation since 2000?
It seems the show's hub is Chicago and then Baltimore & Cleveland are added to the mix as well.
And didn't Anaheim have the National a few years ago, maybe 2006 or '07?
Perhaps the dealers didn't do as well and have not voted it back.
It all boils down to economics.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Anaheim was 2006.

It drives me crazy too. What it boils down to are:

1. Cheap venue rentals.

2. No union labor requiring dealers to pay for set-up help.

3. Lots of east coast dealers who drive to the shows and don't want to drive west of the Mississippi.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:40 AM
CraigH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Anaheim was 2006.

It drives me crazy too. What it boils down to are:

1. Cheap venue rentals.

2. No union labor requiring dealers to pay for set-up help.

3. Lots of east coast dealers who drive to the shows and don't want to drive west of the Mississippi.
Yeah, I'm in California as well. These above answers is what I got when I asked a dealer in Michigan about this. I'm hearing the committee is considering bringing it out to the West in the near future, but they keep saying Anaheim will not allow the convention due to commitment issues and guarantees. The '06 convention wasn't very good, but that had a lot to do to with having it land on Baseball Hall of Fame Induction weekend which was dumb on the promotors part. Hardly any baseball players were available if I remembered. It was unusually hot that whole week if I remember. The dealers probably expected 70-80 degrees as more solace after leaving their hot humid region back home and didn't get it adding to the problems.

I remembered talking with a dealer from Iowa and she said it took them 23 hours to trek from Des Moines all the way to SoCal. I think that if Anaheim is such a problem, then LA(where the first one was), San Diego or at least Phoenix, Denver or Vegas could be an alternative. I mean Comi Con does great and it's in San Diego. I think like the Michigan dealer told me there is more things at work in regards to snubbing the West.

Craig H
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

I didn't realize the '06 National was out here, how did I miss that? Maybe that's why it did so poor...weak marketing.

If the weather is one of the issues in deciding, I hear that there's this wonderful new contraption called an air conditioner that makes buildings cold. It's really quite amazing!

Yeah, but seriously, temperature is never a problem in S.D., S.F., or Denver. I could understand Phoenix or Vegas getting crossed off the list for that problem.

Last edited by 4reals; 07-24-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:01 PM
qualitycards

The weather is probably not a consideration as the last Baltimore National was a steambox outside and probably will be again next week
Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM

It comes down to economics.

Simply put, National spot holders are given the option to opt for missing one show every five years, and maintaining their priority count.

In 2006, many east coast dealers opted out of the National.

I would support a location that is more centrally located, but would have to opt out again if it was in the West Coast.

The fact remains that many of the premier dealers in the country are getting "older" and driving 3 days is not a pleasant thought.

I would also support a National show in 2 distinct locations -- one on the East Coast and one on the West Coast. Then I could decide to do one ofr both in any year.

These thoughts have all been debated before -- and we have what we have.

Steve
Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM

Although I live in the D.C. suburbs, I agree that the West Coast folks get a raw deal. Perhaps Las Vegas would offer an attractive venue for everyone.

Hope to see all for dinner.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:56 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_NY View Post
It comes down to economics.

Simply put, National spot holders are given the option to opt for missing one show every five years, and maintaining their priority count.

In 2006, many east coast dealers opted out of the National.

I would support a location that is more centrally located, but would have to opt out again if it was in the West Coast.

The fact remains that many of the premier dealers in the country are getting "older" and driving 3 days is not a pleasant thought.

I would also support a National show in 2 distinct locations -- one on the East Coast and one on the West Coast. Then I could decide to do one ofr both in any year.

These thoughts have all been debated before -- and we have what we have.

Steve
Interesting discussion. I'm not sure I like the East Coast/West Coast thing. I think it would dilute the show and possibly make both falter. I like the one National gathering where we can all get together. It really is a great time. I also don't mind traveling to different cities wherever they may be.

For some reason, maybe I'm crazy, but I think West Coasters are more open to travel than East Coasters. It's a generality but I think we're used to traveling more often to get somewhere and often by plane. Perhaps this isn't as much the case with East Coasters. Anyway, I'd just love to see a variety and a traveling show. Had a great time in Chicago, will do so in Baltimore.

Would also love to see Kansas City, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, Austin, Tampa Bay, etc.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Unfortunately, it comes down to economics for me as well. I would love to be able to afford to fly across the country, get a hotel room and eat out for 3 or 4 days but I have a humble income and if I spent that kind of money I would have nothing left for card purchases.

You know, there could be good money made for East Coasters willing to shop at the National for West Coast guys. You know, just charge a small finders fee or something. Anything like that already exist?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Tom Boblitt

I'm in Louisville, so we gotta Travel wherever it goes. It is more expensive to travel to West Coast for us. Typically, it's a 5 hour drive to Chicago or Cleveland from here, so those are great locations. Baltimore is a cheap plane ticket on Southwest $175-$200 from here and you can train it from the airport to the Inner Harbor for $10 or less without having to get a car. West coast show would cost $400-$500 plane ticket plus car for a week.....another $300-$400. I've been to every National since Atlanta 1992, so I'm going wherever it is.....hopefully. It just cuts down on what I can spend a little due to other expenses. One of my National buddies and I took our wives to Anaheim in 2006 and it was a great trip (but cost even MORE!). They could replace Cleveland....not much fun there anymore! I did like Baltimore last time and am looking forward to next week.......
Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Todd Schultz

Vegas would be an absolute blast. Otherwise San Diego is far and away the best pick IMO, since they seem to insist on holding the Convention the first week in August, when it is ridiculously hot here in Phoenix (Vegas too but who cares) and maybe too warm in LA. The Bay area would work too but it seems if you want guaranteed great weather with alternate things to do San Diego would work best. Denver might work, and I think centrally-located Kansas City would be great too--a really clean and fun city with of course great music and BBQ.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.